Topic: Keep it a 2.2 4-pot?...

Here's my rationale.

- Slow engine reduces load on brakes, axles, and so on. No need to upgrade supporting components.
- Slow cars are harder to drive in an asshat sort of way.
- The 4-cylinders are plentiful and we all know how to fix this one, by now. Real easy to work on, can run off of a carb, in a pinch.
- You can make it a livelier car by giving a 5-speed manual. Just don't forget a second rev limiter set at 5K rpm grenading limit. That, a bit of tuning, and it'll be plenty fast.
- Less work to do now - time can be spent on better things, like
- Adds Character.

Last but not least, if I end up driving it for over 10K miles, plus 2 races, those extra 2 cylinders gulping gas will quickly add up to a juicy fuel bill.

So, maybe, keep it as is? It wasn't all THAT slow when I drove it...

K Car Stalker

Re: Keep it a 2.2 4-pot?...

Maybe a Post-89 2.2L if it doesn't already have one - that's my only thought.

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

CaptainCardigan wrote:

Maybe a Post-89 2.2L if it doesn't already have one - that's my only thought.

Already done. The junkyard motor I gave them was out of a 93 Shadow.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Started up first try. 
Five grown men high-fiving doing the dick dance over a 2.2 sputtering to life.

This space for rent.

yeah.....not sure if i should have been proud of that....

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Don't worry, the mitsubishi 3.0L will blow up on day 1 and it'll be reverted to the 2.2.

when it's yours you can do what you want, motor swap starts today.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Jackasic wrote:

Should be done by this afternoon, right?

I'm most definitely making it slow as molasses once it finishes NJMP. People of Texas, you've been warned.

K Car Stalker

Diesel?

firegremlin wrote:

I'm most definitely making it slow as molasses once it finishes NJMP. People of Texas, you've been warned.

Its only a 3.0 v6...it will still be slow as molasses but hopefully it will make a few races and not need 4 motors to do so and if does atleast spare motors will be easy to find.

2011 Organizers choice at Garrapatas Peligrosas GP as a Rookie team! 2011 Yee-Haw its Lemons Scruffy Nerf Herder 1991 Dodge Daytona IROC Shelby R/T Charger, 2012 Yee-Haw its Lemons 1972 RX2 IOE WINNERS!!!!, 2012 North Dallas Hooptie the arrival of JUDGE FRANK! 2012 Gator-rama in the 1977 Mustang II, 2012 Season Ender the HONORABLE JUDGE FRANK! 2013 BFE GP in the K-Car and an I Got Screwed Award

Jackasic wrote:

Photos or it never happened.

This space for rent.

you guys can have all these you want: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 … 5824431370

89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

i might be in the minority here, but i'm totally diggin the v6 m/t swap.

i want to see that car dominate a C-Class race, and the sooner the better.  it needs power, and v6 m/t should be what it needs.

go get em, guys!

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I can't wait to see it either. Apparently it's in good hands now.

I'm sure we'll all be proud.  It's a tough job with past "winners" and future "winners" looking over your shoulder.

This space for rent.

<koff>  Rotary <koff>

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

I have no strong opinion on the 4- vs 6-pot, but I'm delighted that it's getting a manual transmission. I was not fond of the slushbox.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

413 Big Block.  I hear they really dig in.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I think the Mitsu V6 is slightly more common in junkyards and maybe even a bit more reliable than the 2.2.

mechimike wrote:

413 Big Block.  I hear they really dig in.

A little inspiration...

http://classracer.com/classforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11553&amp;d=1336597668

(facebook.com/baconexplosions)

10x loser and 2x IOE winner (or is it wiener? Who cares as long as it isn't whiner.)

Ok, if the Reliant does get the 3.0...

Please don't remove stuff that makes it possible to drive the car outside of the race track. I mean, stuff like idle air controllers, O2 sensors, etc - driving a stumbling car that's only good for full-throttle operation gets kinda boring after a while.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't remove windows or side mirrors. Pretty please. I can survive getting rained on, but I'll need to convince a good number of co-drivers to join this quest, and having no windows isn't gonna help the situation.

K Car Stalker

i really wanted to make it RWD from a v6 dodge truck, but Jay was underwelmed.

firegremlin wrote:

Please don't remove stuff that makes it possible to drive the car outside of the race track. I mean, stuff like idle air controllers, O2 sensors, etc - driving a stumbling car that's only good for full-throttle operation gets kinda boring after a while.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't remove windows or side mirrors. Pretty please. I can survive getting rained on, but I'll need to convince a good number of co-drivers to join this quest, and having no windows isn't gonna help the situation.

This... please try to resist the urge to perform red-misted "weight reduction" by sledgehammering all the glass. Think of Detroit Betty!

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

ronman wrote:
firegremlin wrote:

This... please try to resist the urge to perform red-misted "weight reduction" by sledgehammering all the glass. Think of Detroit Betty!

I think everyone gets the idea that it is suppose to be driven to the track and needs to be upto National Highway Safety Standards and also pleasent enough to do hours of highway driving if necessary (like driving it from TEXAS to DENVER). Im pretty sure that Brandon and Steve are not going thru the process of the I4 to V6 swap to make this car dominate but to make it more dependable and enjoyable. After all its the "K-itforward" car, I dont think you should offer to take it on if you cant make it better for the next group that has it.

2011 Organizers choice at Garrapatas Peligrosas GP as a Rookie team! 2011 Yee-Haw its Lemons Scruffy Nerf Herder 1991 Dodge Daytona IROC Shelby R/T Charger, 2012 Yee-Haw its Lemons 1972 RX2 IOE WINNERS!!!!, 2012 North Dallas Hooptie the arrival of JUDGE FRANK! 2012 Gator-rama in the 1977 Mustang II, 2012 Season Ender the HONORABLE JUDGE FRANK! 2013 BFE GP in the K-Car and an I Got Screwed Award