Re: K-car Zig-zag, part one: Seattle to DC

I used to know where Uncle Lido lived back in the 1980s (Bloomfield Township).  There was a story floating around that former Ford Motor Company CEO Bill Peterson (of Ford Taurus fame) bought the house immediately adjacent to Lee's simply so he could wake up in the morning, walk to the edge of his lot, and piss all over Lee's property.  Who knows if this is true or not, but it's the closest thing we get to celebrity gossip here in the motor city.

I'll have my Mom check the tax records in Bloomfield Township and see if Lee still owns a house in the area. 

When Chrysler went bankrupt in 2009, Lee  was forced into a drive of shame so he could return his "free for life" Chrysler company car (a loaded 300C at the time).  Again, because this is the closest thing we have to celebrity gossip around here, it made the evening news.  Regardless, this bit of news tells me that he does indeed still have a house around here somewhere.

The Pentastar whisperer

Judge Phil wrote:

Where does Iacocca live now?

Bel-Air CA

I'm sure ol' Lee has his minions keeping him abreast of all things K.

This space for rent.

We can probably stop by Bel Air on the way to Thunderhill.

K Car Stalker

The first LAPD cop that sees the K-car in Bel Air is going to, uh, disapprove strongly.

Judge Phil wrote:

The first LAPD cop that sees the K-car in Bel Air is going to, uh, disapprove strongly.

In that case be sure to fire up the GoPro first.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Judge Phil wrote:

The title and registration paperwork for the K has got to be a nightmare by now.

Don't drop the soap.

-jt
Unionized Physicist
Tetanus Racing
1986 Porsche 944, #986

A guy with an accent driving a car painted like a Merican flag with 420 painted on the side?

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

firegremlin wrote:

[
I have an excellent tentative co-driver, but I need to figure out how to get him from OAK to SEA and then from, say, DCA or BWI back to OAK, since he's a broke-ass biophysics grad student who's busy pushing the boundaries of science instead of raking in money like the rest of us. If anyone knows of dirt-cheap ways to fly him in/out, let me know.

There maybe some SF Bay area  teams head to the Ridge for the July 20-21 race, its only an 800 mile haul up the coast. Plus Lemons HQ is in Emeryville, and they will ??drive ?? up or fly?  So hauling a student up to the Seattle area may not be a problem.

DEM is considering that race and the one in August at the Ridge, but we have not committed to anything yet.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

yukadas wrote:

A guy with an accent driving a car painted like a Merican flag with 420 painted on the side?

I thought that was normal in California.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

mackwagon wrote:

There maybe some SF Bay area  teams head to the Ridge for the July 20-21 race, its only an 800 mile haul up the coast. Plus Lemons HQ is in Emeryville, and they will ??drive ?? up or fly?  So hauling a student up to the Seattle area may not be a problem.

DEM is considering that race and the one in August at the Ridge, but we have not committed to anything yet.

He's not a student student per se. Grad students like him are lab slaves. So, for him every day off counts - he can't just skip a week (otherwise he'd have gone for the southern leg of the K-car trip).

K Car Stalker

Judge Phil wrote:

Just stay out of Malibu.  I heard their chief is a real reactionary.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Ok, does anyone know of a cheaper way to get from DC (BWI, DCA or IAD) to SF (SFO or OAK), heading out at ~6-8pm on Sunday, July 28, than $300? $292 is what I got from Southwest - that's pretty damn steep for a one-way ticket, I think. That's to get my co-driver back to SF before his boss finds out he's been gone for three days.

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

I have a one-way ticket from DC (BWI) to Seattle (SEA) that lands on Thursday, July 25th, at 7:50PM. My sister can pick me up, drive me home, and I'll head out from there around 9PM.

So, you're coming out the weekend after the Ridge event?  Why not come out a week earlier, and enjoy the actual race?

We will be heading up the Thursday prior to the race, I guess that makes it the 18th.  Happy to give anybody a ride, but it sound like your college student codriver would need to get up there a week later.

bs

I'm already going a week deep into vacation-at-own-expense with the DC->CA->TX leg of the trip, I don't think I can spare that much time.

I need more vacation time o_O.

K Car Stalker

I just heard you're a certified madman.

It looks like you're pretty well covered, but if you need tow rig assistance back to Rockville from prettymuch anywhere from Chicago onwards (except the Canadian stretch - I don't have a current passport) give me a call and I'll be on the road as soon as I can get off an email to the boss and hitch up the trailer.

(God I love that stupid car. What the hell is wrong with me?)

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

(God I love that stupid car. What the hell is wrong with me?)

There most definitely needs to be a support group for former K-car operators.

K Car Stalker

We're going to need another spreadsheet.

This space for rent.

Someone is getting tazed.

+1 on the Gopro!

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

tywebb wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Where does Iacocca live now?

Bel-Air CA

Last / most prominent address I can find is actually in his trusts' name: 10614 Chalon Rd Los Angeles, CA with the last Real Estate transfer in 2002. Have found at least one post that said it'd been sold to Ross Perot in April, but LA Assessor doesn't show the transfer.

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

Well, you'll need to get Iacocca to pose for a photo with the car!

Judge Phil wrote:

Well, you'll need to get Iacocca to pose for a photo with the car!

http://www.leeiacocca.com/contact-me/index.aspx

?

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)