Topic: That other Series

at the risk of offending anyone................  Rockingham has been announced as an official race on the Chump Forums.

i have driven on this course in a HPDE prepped car.  i can tell you personally i don't have the stones or the snapping neurons to ever consider entering this event.  there is a reason NASCAR doesn't drive in the dark on their tracks.  and don't be fooled, this is one of "their" tracks.

if you can set up a car with transitions from banking to flat cornering in mind, you should be good to go.  that is if the rest of the field doesn't paste you first.

good news is, no fee for spectators.  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Re: That other Series

so basically this'll be a 10 lap race, and whoever's left will be the top 5 finishing order?

3 (edited by Tajracing45 2009-11-18 08:31 PM)

Who would you offend?
I've never been there but after viewing the vids on Youtube, the track doesn't look all that bad.  Remember we are in beaters, not high performance machines.  The infield portion is decent looking with adequate run off in some areas.  I'm sure we see a tire chicane somewhere on the flat part of the oval as well as some tires keeping us on the apron when we exit the infield.

**EDIT**  Just saw the track map on the ChumpCar website and it looks like they are going to run the track as I described above.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

Soldmystang,

While Lemons is referred to as the other race in the Chump forum, you can all it Chump here.  I have never heard anyone complain.

I doubt Jay or Nick are fond of it but they have not been disrespectful about it.

Chump is "rooted" in Lemons, it would be nice for them to refer to Lemons by it's name.

Regarding their events, I've kinda lost track.  I thought I might like to race St. Louis.  That got changed to Memphis which has now been changed to Nashville. 

TMS in Dallas is also very interesting, I think is has remained unchanged.

Regarding the Rock or any other track, build a safe car and drive within your limits and you should be fine.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I'm planning on getting my NASCAR stripes at the Rock.  Those banks are a little challenging to walk up.  I just want to experience that one first hand.  BTW, the chicane is suppose to be at the entrance of T1 to slow entry.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

cpmskinny wrote:

I'm planning on getting my NASCAR stripes at the Rock.  Those banks are a little challenging to walk up.  I just want to experience that one first hand.  BTW, the chicane is suppose to be at the entrance of T1 to slow entry.

Therefore taking all the fun out of driving the banking.

The entrance into the infield is where all the carnage will happen

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Tajracing45 wrote:

Who would you offend?
I've never been there but after viewing the vids on Youtube, the track doesn't look all that bad.  Remember we are in beaters, not high performance machines.  The infield portion is decent looking with adequate run off in some areas.

I've run quite a few HPDE laps there and the infield doesn't have nearly the run-off room that you think.  Not to mention it is very narrow as well.

It is a fun HPDE track, but for this kind of race I think I'll pass.  I'm only about 2 hours away so I'm sure it will be fun to go and watch.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

ecugrad wrote:
cpmskinny wrote:

agreed.  i also think turn one will be entertaining.

i see three wide racing thru the frontstretch into the bottleneck of the chicane.  traffic will be forced down into the inside wall. 

of course if  Harry Hogge is your crew chief, "you'll be able to hold your line Cole" 'cause them are special staggered tires right there now.  smile

i'm sure everything will be just fine.  really.

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Also remember another thing is Rockingham is an abrasive track. So I would be expecting to see quite a few tire changes during this race (mainly rights).

Why not post this in the Chump board and hear from those that are running it?

Stafford is a short track with a mildly banked oval and not much run-off room. If the speeds are kept down, I don't see why it shouldn't be safe. At the start of Stafford, we were power limited in the oval (full throttle). Later in the race we were grip limited. With more banking and slow entry, I'd think the banking would feel more like a straight -- full throttle. If you're really worried about hitting the wall in the oval you could run a high line (so your relative speed into the wall can't be high).

A bigger surprise to me was the info that Nelson Ledges was the fastest track. Didn't feel very fast to me (either in the kink or going into the braking zone after). I really wish Jay would listen to the demand and give us back this race!

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

EvergreenDan wrote:

A bigger surprise to me was the info that Nelson Ledges was the fastest track. Didn't feel very fast to me (either in the kink or going into the braking zone after). I really wish Jay would listen to the demand and give us back this race!

One reason NL didn't "feel" fast is because there are no hard braking zones.  The corners are all sweeping and fast so there wasn't the sensation of speed on the straights.  It is a great Lemons track for that reason.  You didn't see much dive bombing since there wasn't much heavy braking.  It also allowed two wide racing all around the track even though it is very narrow.  Brake wear was minimal as was tire wear.  The banking in Oak Tree and the Carosel really helped out.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

EvergreenDan wrote:

it didn't necessarily feel fast to me, but you musn't have looked at the speedometer

Jeff G 78 wrote:
EvergreenDan wrote:

One reason NL didn't "feel" fast is because there are no hard braking zones.  The corners are all sweeping and fast so there wasn't the sensation of speed on the straights.  It is a great Lemons track for that reason.  You didn't see much dive bombing since there wasn't much heavy braking.  It also allowed two wide racing all around the track even though it is very narrow.  Brake wear was minimal as was tire wear.  The banking in Oak Tree and the Carosel really helped out.

Did ya hear Nelson Ledges is going to be running 2 races through UsedCarRacing Series, we're going to have a chance at redemption on that track in 2010! From what I understand same rules as Lemons & Chump car. I know my team's pretty stoked about it!

Where is that posted?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Narrow track, walls of death, etc... it all works fine for this kind of racing as long as there's SOMEPLACE on the track that passing can be done.  Why does it work?  Because there is a strict no-contact rule that will (generally) keep people from overdriving.

That little oval that they ran the Detriot(ish) race at seems like a horrible place to run on paper.  Banked oval, walled on the outside, infield chicane, and the best part, a 24' wide "infield pit road" that was used as part of the course.  For the most part, everyone respected the concrete, we went through there 3 cars wide pretty regularly, and it wasn't a problem.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

EvergreenDan wrote:

Stafford is a short track with a mildly banked oval and not much run-off room. If the speeds are kept down, I don't see why it shouldn't be safe. At the start of Stafford, we were power limited in the oval (full throttle). Later in the race we were grip limited. With more banking and slow entry, I'd think the banking would feel more like a straight -- full throttle. If you're really worried about hitting the wall in the oval you could run a high line (so your relative speed into the wall can't be high).

what am i going to hear that i don't already know?

i am suggesting, and this is only my opinion, that this is not the right venue for CrapCan style racing.  there are three of us in this particular thread that have run laps on this configuration.  i am trying to provide some insight for those that have not been to Rockingham.  you are free to make up your own mind. 

as i said, i am sure it will be fine.

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

RobL wrote:

Where is that posted?

on Facebook look up UsedCarRacing Series, add as a friend. They're status is that they are running a Nelson Ledges race.

soldmystang wrote:
EvergreenDan wrote:

what am i going to hear that i don't already know?

i am suggesting, and this is only my opinion, that this is not the right venue for CrapCan style racing.  there are three of us in this particular thread that have run laps on this configuration.  i am trying to provide some insight for those that have not been to Rockingham.  you are free to make up your own mind. 

as i said, i am sure it will be fine.

Soldmystang,

I think the point is, Lemons is not racing at Rockingham.

I don't care it's posted here and I am sure there will be guys from here racing there.

If you have questions or concerns about the event, you should discuss that with the powers that be at Chump.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

CaptainJillian wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:
EvergreenDan wrote:

Did ya hear Nelson Ledges is going to be running 2 races through UsedCarRacing Series, we're going to have a chance at redemption on that track in 2010! From what I understand same rules as Lemons & Chump car. I know my team's pretty stoked about it!

Interesting.  I'll have to check it out.  Thanks for the heads up.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

20 (edited by Tajracing45 2009-11-19 12:10 PM)

I believe that Used Car Racing Series = NL management....  hence no hugely popular LeMon race in 2010.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

gsmith2424 wrote:

Also remember another thing is Rockingham is an abrasive track. So I would be expecting to see quite a few tire changes during this race (mainly rights).

Crap I forgot about the cheese grater asphalt.  That stuff eats tires alive.  Its been a few years since I have ran there.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

22 (edited by cpmskinny 2009-11-19 05:17 PM)

ecugrad wrote:
cpmskinny wrote:

I'm thinking dive low and drift back up after the chicane, or something to that effect.  It will still be fun, if they let newby drivers hit T1 at speed, you would see some carnage for sure.  We watched the legends race there last weekend and your second comment would ring true.  Although they ran a different configuration than we are going to, it was going from the bank to the flat that really screwed a lot of them up.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

CaptainJillian wrote:
RobL wrote:

Where is that posted?

on Facebook look up UsedCarRacing Series, add as a friend. They're status is that they are running a Nelson Ledges race.

damnit. i hate facebook, why do all you guys HAVE to put your team builds and updates on there? sheesh. ras'-a-frackin' stupid overnight social networking sites.

Serj wrote:
CaptainJillian wrote:
RobL wrote:

Where is that posted?

damnit. i hate facebook, why do all you guys HAVE to put your team builds and updates on there? sheesh. ras'-a-frackin' stupid overnight social networking sites.

b'cause that's where all the chicks are my friend.  once one becomes a serious nickel winning racer, image is everything. smile

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

I'm more than will to toss another race to go back to Nelson Ledges!  I'll have to check it out.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)