Re: Anyone know anything about 1961 AMC Ramblers?

Team Sensory Assault wrote:

I'll tell you what I know about 1961 AMC Ramblers.

THAT CAR IS KICK ASS!!!  smile

You provide rotary when we blow it up and a tranny, we will make it run and provide a seat to you for a west coast race. But we know nothing about rotary motors and have not blown up what we have yet. And we want something with boost!

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

You ought to be making a new top plate for that intake so you can run MORE CARBURETORS!!!

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Got a couple other proirities before more carburation;

1. Fuel system
2. Make sure it even runs
3. Brakes, replace lines, slave cylinders, drums, shoes, etc
4. Clutch Linkage - Parts bought
5. Check electrical system - at least it is color coded, no lucas wizardry here
6. Cage

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Got the engine back in, need to do a little fuel line plumbing, wiring, hammer swinging to get her running. Here are a couple of pics to show the progress. And before you trash me for the cheaty aluminum radiator I paid $159 from Summit for the universal fit one. To get a radiator recored for a 1961 Rambler is $350, to purchase a reproduction is about $450, so I went cheap!

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0141.jpg

http://www.pantingpolarbearracing.com/Rambler/IMAG0140.jpg

I don't think you CAN cheat with a 1961 Rambler.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

You said in the Human Resources section you are running the stock drums? What are you going to use for shoes? I hope you are going to upgrade to braided stainless lines, or update to a dual circuit master cylinder? Its one thing to blow a wheel cylinder and end up having to pump it 3 times to slow down, but pop a line and you aren't going to stop at all.

I know Centric makes a Severe Duty fleet shoe for my Chevy and I think they make them for the Rambler too. Check out: CENTRIC Part # 11104330

Pricy, but send Porterfield the shoes and they can reline them with whichever compound you chose.

Parkwod60 wrote:

You said in the Human Resources section you are running the stock drums? What are you going to use for shoes? I hope you are going to upgrade to braided stainless lines, or update to a dual circuit master cylinder? Its one thing to blow a wheel cylinder and end up having to pump it 3 times to slow down, but pop a line and you aren't going to stop at all.

I know Centric makes a Severe Duty fleet shoe for my Chevy and I think they make them for the Rambler too. Check out: CENTRIC Part # 11104330

Yes, stainless flex lines and upgraded shoes and looking into the 10.5" drums from a V8 car, I believe I just need the backing plates then can purchase the replacement parts. And the parking brake is going to be replaced with one that we can mount to the floor from a Honda, just in case.

For now just to get it on the road we replaced the stock master cylinder with the single circuit one.

Wish us luck, today should be the first day that it starts! I will post a video of it either exploding or running when we get there.

I'll just leave this here while I perform my happy dance.

http://youtu.be/uzohzpCfeqc

Love the car!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

The Rambler moved under it's own power for the first time today! Sure it may have been 5 feet, but I still consider that a victory.

Paint that shiny aluminum radiator black and no one will question you.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

Update

1. Fuel system - Check
2. Make sure it even runs - Check
3. Brakes, replace lines, slave cylinders, drums, shoes, etc - New maser and slave cylinders installed, trying to source stainless flex lines and find the drum brake backing plates from a V8 car before buying shoes and drums
4. Clutch Linkage - Check
5. Check electrical system - Check, finally got the f'n generator to charge.
6. Cage - TBD

Gonna take it on it's first trip around the block today before towing up to T-Hill

We did manage to drive the Rambler around the block Saturday. Everything works well except the carb which doesn't want to idle.  The plan is to be able to drive the car to Sears in Dec and race it there in March.

Panting Polar Bears, #58 Crown Vic, #78.5 Rambler, #76 Omega, #58 Camero

We are cheering you guys on!    w00t!  I will wear my "AMC Racing" shirt tomorrow in support.

Gormless Racing
1968 MGB GT, mostly kinda running

Front disk brake conversion kit for $200! Life is good my friends, life is good!

This car is gonna dominate! (If we can make it idle that is)

Is this a new carb? are the tiny little idle jet passages clean? Do you have any vacuum leaks anywhere?

Is looking good! I have found few things that will loosen up varnish and crud in fuel systems like good old acetone. Available at hardware stores everywhere. About $15 a gallon here in Co. So same as premium in cali..... Worth noting: Will start eating plastic damn near everything if left in there for long so burn thru it quickly and then fill up with gas....do not leave sitting in carb for long. Will eat plastic style floats after awhile. But sure does clean up a soured tank nice. Still all that goes into the filter...beware..

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

Parkwod60 wrote:

Is this a new carb? are the tiny little idle jet passages clean? Do you have any vacuum leaks anywhere?

Not new per say, but my first attempt at a rebuild, I had let it soak in carb cleaner solution stuff for about 36 hours. But because we live in CA I later found out it was the weak, ie environmentally won't workie, solution. We found out because the accelerator pump passage still had varnish from the old gas in it and it would originally not run at all.

As far a vacumn leaks there is only one thing using vacumn and it is the distributor advance, which is a hard line and was checked for leaks by Paul, so we should be good.

Our guess is that the passages have crud in them still. We are going to run some carb cleaner then probably soem acetone through the idle circuit and try and loosen it up. If all else fails I will buy another carb (2BBL) and that adapter plate you posted up here a while ago.

Google Image "glass bowl holley" You need 3 of these. Awesome looking carb. Love these.

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

SeldomSeen wrote:

Google Image "glass bowl holley" You need 3 of these. Awesome looking carb. Love these.

Those are freakin awesome, although I don't think I would like them on a car I am "road racing". Fear of broken glass and gas dumping on the exhaust manifold does not feel too safe to me.

On another note, I have all the electrical working except the clock, hopefully the spare dash I have will have a clock that moves, there is voltage to it but it just won't run sad Even have the blower motor for the defroster working - important at Sears when it rains in MHO. Now to figure out the vacumn wipers. Can't wait to cruise it to Sonoma in December for the race, I think I will sleep in it!

You don't have to have vacuum lines to have vacuum leaks. I would start by looking carefully at there the top & bottom half of the intake bolt together. You can use a can of spray lube with a straw on the nozzle and spray around to see if it sucks it in anywhere. Also we had our carb sucking air from between the upper & lower parts of it once. The screws vibrated loose over the course of racing all day Saturday.

No carburetor cleaning is complete without poking something through every little hole you can find. 1 strand of wire from a wire brush, or a strand of copper from a wire should be small enough that you don;t have to worry too much about making any holes bigger.

What did you set the idle mixture adjustment screw at? Usually something like 1 and 1/2 turns out from all the way in is a good starting place. If the screw is in too far the idle mixture typically is too rich and it will stumble until you up the idle speed to the point that you start to use the other circuits of the carb and open the butterfly a little.

If you can't get the idle speed to slow down you likely have an air leak somewhere. Sometimes the throttle butterfly will not be centered properly, so it doesn't close enough. Sometimes the mixture screw is just was too far out. Sometimes its just a leak somewhere.

Awesome tips, but I am pissed off and done with this F'n carb. I ordered a rebuild from Summit, then I will know if it is me or the carb. I know I'm cheating, but the weather is also gonna get crummy, as much as it does in CA, and I want to drive this thing down to the season ender, and know it will make it both ways.

I

By the way, if anyone wants some crappy 1bbl carbs from sometime between the 1960s and the 1980s I seem to have a few extra. I need to make sure I have 3 for an eventual tri-power straight six set up, but I think at the moment I have something like 7 of them. All of them were from Ford 200-250 sixes originally.