Topic: THE K IS HERE AT THE RIDGE

Just a couple hiccups and a blood sample of Neal Losey who piloted it the whole trip of 750 miles .
2 quarts of oil
25 Mpg
30 gallons of fuel

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Re: THE K IS HERE AT THE RIDGE

We all think that maybe, just maybe, this will be the weekend...

This space for rent.

I have a good feeling about this. If this car doesn't break down during the race, I'm not bringing tools for the trip, even.

K Car Stalker

4 (edited by cabinboy 2013-07-19 07:43 AM)

firegremlin wrote:

I have a good feeling about this. If this car doesn't break down during the race, I'm not bringing tools for the trip, even.

What do you mean IF? It's the K-car. It won't break down! It didn't break down for us. Why should this race be any different?

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

firegremlin wrote:

Murphy says....

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

I think it will be fine, send me a patch when you win.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

We may have to have a hundred "Golden IOE" patches made for the end of the year for all the teams that participated in this adventure. 

I suspect that all of the teams have contributed from helping to fix it down to just not crashing into it. 

Everyone's a winner with K it Forward.

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:

We may have to have a hundred "Golden IOE" patches made for the end of the year for all the teams that participated in this adventure. 

I suspect that all of the teams have contributed from helping to fix it down to just not crashing into it. 

I think this particular car is saving America, right now!

bs

I know that as I spotted it on the road the other night it had a sort of calming effect on my soul. Good luck on the ridge gemts!

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

NSF wrote:

Well, everyone is certainly something with the K-it Forward program.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Mother of God and Lee Iacocca, give Super K a break.

This space for rent.

I read about some of the issues y'all had on FB, but can someone write up what specifically went wrong and what work you did to fix it? Maybe we should have an ongoing "Technical Challenges Documentation" thread. It might help future K-car teams plan ahead.

I concur - oddly enough - with SpaceFrank. We are the poor sods who have the K-Car for the 24 Hour in Houston, we have very little wrench time on it before hand, and we're kind of goofy to boot (even by Lemons standards).

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

Howdy! We were facing 3 big problems with the K this weekend:

1. Fuel. I wasn't paying close attention to what happened at Buttonwillow, but from what I understand it was essentially the same problem: the engine would occasionally be starved of fuel. Chris O and I actually experienced it prior to the race while driving the K around the SF Bay Area. The East Bay to be specific. Emeryville to be extra specific. The Lemons headquarters to be crystal clear (photo) -- somehow I think the K fears Lemons and starts acting up as soon as it's near anything LeMons-related.

Anyway, Neil took out the K for the first stint on Saturday and got stranded at the side of the track after just a few laps. Eventually fuel could be convinced to make it all the way from the gas tank into the engine and he limped back to the pits under its own power. We then installed a secondary pusher fuel pump in the engine bay. This made the fuel problems largely go away. It still stuttered occasionally, though that may not have been fuel-related. So long as you kept your foot planted on the throttle, the engine was fairly happy. Because the fuel pump actually came out of another car (I think), Chris took it out again at the end of the race. So whoever is getting the K next might want to look into the fuel system again and at least consider putting in a secondary pump again.

2. Shifter. The shifter that was in the car when we got it looked like some sort of Klingon pleasuring device and was about as sharp as a ladle in bowl of Sloppy Joe's. The car was still drivable with a bit of guess work, except that you could engage 4th only about 10% of the time. So on Saturday we drove it in 3rd and 5th only. Saturday afternoon, Anton was about to take it out, the north-south shifter cable snapped. Chris O and I went to the mom & pop junkyard across the street where we found a bunch of K cars (photo), but sadly they were all autos. We found a manual Neon, though, and the shift linkage looked close enough, so we bought the shifter and shift cables out of that. Meanwhile our 4th teammate Paul drove 1.5h to a Napa Autoparts store in Kent, WA that claimed to have a shifter cable for our transmission. Sunday morning we ripped the old shifter out of the car, along with the center console, and mounted the Neon shifter and hooked up the new cable which did indeed fit. What a difference that made! We turned the old shifter into a hood ornament (photo).

3. Brake lights. Compared to the previous two issues, this one was really minor, but it did cost us a few laps. After I came in on Sunday we realized that the K had no functioning brake lights. We traced the problem to a blown fuse and went back out after 20 minutes or so.

I drove the car over to Tom Hergert's place who's taking care of the car at Rocket Restorations (photo) until the next idiot drives it cross country. Much thanks to Judge Phil's "Best" of 1987 mixed CD which brightened up the drive.

By the way, having a stereo in a race car is kind of GENIUS, especially in a class C car. I drove my entire Saturday stint listening to Wagner's Rides of the Valkyries. I think on Sunday it was Motörhead. Good times.

Thank you NSF Racing for the opportunity to race (and fix) what is without the shadow of a doubt the worst car I have ever driven. I had a blast.

Hella Shitty Racing -- Premium Crapcan Racing since 2010!
- VOTE FORD
- Ferdinand the Bug (2x class C, 1x class B, IoE)
- Ferkel the Nein-11 (Org Choice, class C, Heroic Fix)

P.S.: Even with the much improved shifter, it's still the worst car anybody has ever driven and will ever drive. The steering column pointed straight at my testies, which combined with the lack of power steering made for a good work out going through The Ridge's version of the corkscrew. And then there's the clutch pedal that's so far up, it's essentially inside the dash. And the bite point is about 2 millimetres into the pedal, so I was essentially driving the car with my left knee next to my ear.

God I miss this car already.

- VOTE FORD

NSF wrote:

That's how I feel. Chris and I were thinking of making "I got K'ed" patches/shirts/etc.

- VOTE FORD

Great news!  My apartment complex didn't try to tow it away last night.  Have it down at the shop today and going to try to get it on the lift later this week.  Have a feeling the fuel issues is a filter or pick up problem.

Also who is getting it next?  I have no idea when they are getting into town.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

So fabricating a new clutch pedal might be on the list, as well as adding an additional fuel pump if that's not already done by the time we get the car.

Are those spotlights on the roof?

SpaceFrank wrote:

So fabricating a new clutch pedal might be on the list, as well as adding an additional fuel pump if that's not already done by the time we get the car.

I would prioritize on the fuel since the car is drivable with the clutch pedal that it has. I feel like it just needs to be mounted on a different angle or something.

Are those spotlights on the roof?

Yeah, I think Chris O added them? They're not hooked up or anything, but hey, maybe they'll come in handy in 24h races.

- VOTE FORD

rocketresto wrote:

Also who is getting it next?  I have no idea when they are getting into town.

I am! I'm landing in SEA at 7:50pm this Thursday (25th). My co-driver is gonna arrive at 11:55PM - I'm picking him up and driving straight to Yellowstone, non-stop, flat-out.

Let me know if you find any marginal components so I can order/bring spares. I suppose a spare fuel pump is a good start, correct?

K Car Stalker

Can you get a ride to Olympia where the car is?

I would have a spare fuel pump at least.  Also the other seat never got mounted...well...it has a pink bean bag in it but not sure that qualifies as a seat.  Will see if I can at least inspect the fuel filter and pickup by Thurs.  Drove good this morning but was seeming to starve a little for fuel when I got it over 40 MPH.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

if that is the worst car you have ever driven, you are missing out.

Considering where it is now to where it was, car should probably be in B class.  Not sure why you couldn't find 4th gear, probably because YOU GOTTS NO SKILZ!!!!! Seriously, compared to what I picked up in ECR (I could barely get in the car and it was rod knocking then) to the fact it was driven to this race, essentially  from Texas, you guys need to buy Steven a beer.

BTW, I think the fuel system has a clog in it somewhere, I would blow out all the fuel lines.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Is it the original stock fuel tank?

Replacements available on Rockauto. The most expensive one is $88 plus shipping.

Jackasic wrote:

if that is the worst car you have ever driven, you are missing out.

Considering where it is now to where it was, car should probably be in B class.  Not sure why you couldn't find 4th gear, probably because YOU GOTTS NO SKILZ!!!!!

True, I don't got no skilz. I wouldn't say the same of Anton wink.

Seriously, compared to what I picked up in ECR (I could barely get in the car and it was rod knocking then) to the fact it was driven to this race, essentially  from Texas, you guys need to buy Steven a beer.

Absolutely. Whoever did the engine swap and re-wiring did a great job. The work (and documentation thereof) is much appreciated!

P.S.: Even the skinniest of lads with the brightest of teeth still can only barely get in the car.

BTW, I think the fuel system has a clog in it somewhere, I would blow out all the fuel lines.

I think that's what Tom is going to do that the shop this week.

- VOTE FORD

Has anybody ever checked the fuel pickup in this car, or looked for blobs of chewing gum, used condoms, etc in the fuel tank?