Re: Have you received a complaint about your Lemons car?

The opposite, in fact.  I live in a nice, suburban late 80's subdivision on 1/3 acre with houses on 3 sides.  I've met most of the people in the neighborhood because of the Lemons cars, as they stop by just to ask about them.   The neighbor on the garage/driveway side thinks we are hilarious and usually stops by during work days to see what we are up to and chat.

The first day we had the boat all built and were loading it on the trailer, that was about 10 people.   

The Rolls is amazing for the same reasons, lots of people will just walk up and want to talk about it.  Even a horrendous Rolls Royce in the driveway just oozes class!

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

At one point my neighbor across the way complained about the trailer and truck that was sticking in the street a bit, but after I met her everything has been fine.  No complaints about the fact that one race car lives on the trailer in the driveway, the celica is there, and there is a wrecked mazda wagon that may or not be a LeMon or a daily driver, depending on what color the parts I find for it are.  Older neighborhood, mostly retired folks.  They tend to get a kick out of them, and they really love it when I let the little boy steer around the neighborhood with me operating pedals.  I will never live anywhere there is an hoa, I think the pitchforks would come out before I finished moving in.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I fortunately do not live in an HOA dictatorship but was pushing it with the neighbors when I bought jackasic's Merc and my new Pink Rambler a few weeks ago on the same weekend. I was lucky to be able to get the Rambler registered, because they can not say anything about a registered car that carries insurance.

It was funny though I was driving to the liquor store the other day and there is a 1965 Impala SS up on blocks being restored down the street and a 66 mustang a few houses down. I do not feel so out of place with my project anymore.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

In April the neighbor complained to the HOA about the race car I had , and how I was tearing up the side yard with it. Kinda thought it was funny being I wintered the teams car in my garage, and had returned it to St Louis in Feb.
Kinda made him look like a schmuck when it was pointed out the car hadn't been here for 2 months.
Ah the joys of grouchy neighbors.
Maybe I need the tear up the side yard with the 26' furniture truck next weekend.

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

Had a few complaints at my (thankfully) former apartment.  First, I took up three parking spaces with my 26' box trailer, so people were properly pissed.  Fortunately I had asked for parking permission beforehand, so I got away with that.  Had a few noise complaints about running the car late at night too.

Next came something infuriating.  While working on the car one day, an officer stopped by and said he "knew" I had been driving our car on the street.  Well, my apartment driveway backs up to a "street" that I guess is public.  The officer told me that my car could not touch the street, period.  He specifically made mention of loading it into the trailer, I had to do that without the vehicle hitting the street either, guess he expected me to carry it into the trailer.  Just about every time I worked on the car after that, there was a patrol car behind the grocery within eye shot of my garage.  Very irritating.

I'm pretty sure I know which neighbor called the police on me.  Funny thing, I'm pretty damn sure she was a prostitute.

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

RBRIHQ got a cease and desist today, asserting erroneously that we're an unlawful Automotive Service Station and a Mini-Warehouse/Storage use.  I mean, come on...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/375662_10151543523333062_1551073072_n.jpg

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

Yes,  thwice times last year.  Once the state police showed up saying that had a complaint from the neighbors saying I was running a Russian chop shop...Needless to say it was unwarranted.  Went on his merry way.

#2  Town officer came by with complaint about shrubbery and how cars couldn't see down the road...was in retaliation for a noise complaint I lodged against the HOA's lawn care company...Cop lives in the HOA.  Needless to say he gave me a warning to move the two unregistered cars by weeks end.  Put one in garage the was being parted out so it left early.

Harassment...  My yard  stay out I pay the taxes and mortgage so buzz off.

Mike C. wrote:

RBRIHQ got a cease and desist today, asserting erroneously that we're an unlawful Automotive Service Station and a Mini-Warehouse/Storage use.  I mean, come on...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/375662_10151543523333062_1551073072_n.jpg

The lawnmower just pushed it over the edge.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Nothing better to come home to than Lemons in the driveway / yard / everywhere!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/010820121481.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/IMG_1263.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/IMG_1265.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/IMG_1389.jpg

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Sledge wrote:

Had a few complaints at my (thankfully) former apartment.  First, I took up three parking spaces with my 26' box trailer, so people were properly pissed.  Fortunately I had asked for parking permission beforehand, so I got away with that.  Had a few noise complaints about running the car late at night too.

Next came something infuriating.  While working on the car one day, an officer stopped by and said he "knew" I had been driving our car on the street.  Well, my apartment driveway backs up to a "street" that I guess is public.  The officer told me that my car could not touch the street, period.  He specifically made mention of loading it into the trailer, I had to do that without the vehicle hitting the street either, guess he expected me to carry it into the trailer.  Just about every time I worked on the car after that, there was a patrol car behind the grocery within eye shot of my garage.  Very irritating.

I'm pretty sure I know which neighbor called the police on me.  Funny thing, I'm pretty damn sure she was a prostitute.

Because Dallas doesn't have enough felonious crime for the DPD to take care of. This is absurd.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I had an ongoing feud with my neighbor directly across from me over the years.  Ordinance violations (mostly for 'weeds') though nothing was worse than any other house, anonymous notes in the mail to take care of my house,etc.  I have a rusty '88 Honda wagon, and I usually parked it in the driveway, but one weekend it ended up on the street and that seemed to set her off. 

The only time I ever talked to her in the 8 years I lived there (up to that point) was when she came across the street to tell me to not park my 'junk cars' in front of her house.  I explained that my side of the street had to be kept clear because it is the fire lane,  the cars were registered and that was all that mattered.  Later that day, I found an ordinance note stuck on my door (and an anonymous note in my mailbox).  In calling the twp, the ord. officer explained there had been a complaint about dandelions and junk cars.  She said she explained to the person calling in (wouldn't tell me who) that dandelions weren't against any rules (but grass/weeds have to be < 5in tall), that the cars were registered (Honda in street, newly arrived red GTV6 with up-to-date CA tags on it even if not in my name yet, though it did have a classy blue tarp over the roof as sunroof leaked).  She just told me to trim some weeds, laughed trying to tell me that sometimes 'certain people without much to do' call this stuff in, basically old, anal-retentive people, and told me that the house had greatly improved in appearance over the years.  Not much after that, the old lady called the police to report the Honda as abandoned, and it got the green sticker.  Rules in Michigan are 48 hours parked on a 'secondary road', 24 for primary.  The Honda was parked ~80 ft in front of a Ford van with a flat tire and expired plates, and hadn't moved for months, but my Honda was 'abandoned' having sat there for a few days.  I talked to the police, explained what was going on, and they said they'd talk to the lady and tell her to not waste their time.  Police also suggested I push it every couple of days.  What pissed me off is, regarding the van, the police said since no one had complained, they wouldn't do anything on their own about it.

After that, for a couple weeks, the old lady took to parking her car in the street if I had put the (loud) red GTV6 there,  (not the gold one in the pic) and it became a game of sorts.  I'd fire up the car to do an errand, come back and she'd have taken her car out of the garage to park in the spot.  When the spot was clear, I'd park the GTV6 there again.  Happened 5 or 6 times.  Funny.  Soon after the Honda got stickered, I came back from a weekend away (or it might have even been the 2010 BABE Rally) and her trash bags were in the street, most likely to keep me from parking there as she didn't do that before.  It was Sunday night, trash day is Tuesday, and the rules say you can't put your trash out until after 6pm the day before.  So, Monday morning I called it in.  Revenge is a dish best served cold!

https://plus.google.com/photos/10951266 … qvT4dbwxAE

Also got my yukon/open-trailer stickered, last fall, but I don't think it was the old lady.  She seemed only concerned about stuff directly in the line of sight out her front door.    I live on a corner, and it was parked kitty-corner on the street from my house.  Had been parked for weeks at a time with no issue, but it got stickered when I was away on business for 2 weeks last Sept, and should have been towed before I got back, but wasn't.  I asked the police about it to learn what the rules were for vehicle vs trailer vs vehicle/trailer.  (In the conversation, the officer asked what street I was on, because in one of the neighborhoods, they get a list EVERY MORNING from a 'concerned citizen' about what cars have been parked too long on the street without moving!)  I can only guess they didn't want to touch it with the trailer attached.  Later, a cop left his card in my door, and when I talked to him, he said a school bus driver thought it was hard to see around it.  He didn't think it was, and I didn't think so either and that was it.  Not sure who called it in for it to get the earlier sticker, really.

But since I had a new, wider driveway poured last fall, there hasn't been any problem.  I left Alyssa Milano (no plate) in the driveway for a month after Autobahn this year, and no response.  Kind of anti-climatic.

Losing in the Midwest since 2012 (seems like I've been a loser for longer than that, though).

TeamFRAG:  1987 Alfa Romeo Milano - 'Alyssa Milano'.

Mulry wrote:

Because Dallas doesn't have enough felonious crime for the DPD to take care of. This is absurd.

I guess hassling me with petty stuff is just the safe option, I'm not going to pull out a gun or start swinging dirty syringes.  It's the same thing with them setting up speed traps all over 635, Bush, and 45; tickets and fines fill thier coffers far faster than preventing violent crimes.  Just think how many lives would be saved if those cop cars were parked on the street in a rough neighborhood rather than hiding behind some bushes on the PGBT.

Either way, I was hopping mad when the encounter first happened, but I am over it now.  I have vacated that apartment and moved the race headquarters to a warehouse far away.

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

napmaster wrote:

I had an ongoing feud with my neighbor directly across from me over the years.  Ordinance violations (mostly for 'weeds') though nothing was worse than any other house, anonymous notes in the mail to take care of my house,etc.

If these are just handwritten or typed notes with no postage, She is in violation of federal law. Call the Postmaster General and/or the FBI.

3.1.3 Use for Mail Except under 3.2.11, Newspaper Receptacle, the receptacles described in 3.1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 3.2.10, Delivery of Unstamped Newspapers, or 3.2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail

RobL wrote:

My neighbor across the street calls on me.  I ended up having to get an antique license plate for one of the cars and I keep the other two hidden from view (garage and trailer).  The trailer needs to be kept behind the front of the house.  In my area, cars don't need to run but need to have current tags.  The wife doesn't give me grief for the cars, only that she can't pull into the garage.

How was your experience getting a PA antique tag? I keep saying i'm going to get a classic tag for our car, but i envision having a difficult time showing its "maintained in a condition conforming to manufacturer specs" or whatever the statute says.

-Pat

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

gtopat wrote:
RobL wrote:

My neighbor across the street calls on me.  I ended up having to get an antique license plate for one of the cars and I keep the other two hidden from view (garage and trailer).  The trailer needs to be kept behind the front of the house.  In my area, cars don't need to run but need to have current tags.  The wife doesn't give me grief for the cars, only that she can't pull into the garage.

How was your experience getting a PA antique tag? I keep saying i'm going to get a classic tag for our car, but i envision having a difficult time showing its "maintained in a condition conforming to manufacturer specs" or whatever the statute says.

-Pat

A lot was changed in August of '12.  I literally walked into the AAA office with my title and insurance (I do all my tags through there - member and the girl doing tags is cute),  paid for them with no pictures or anything, and a week later I had my tag.  Completely painless procedure.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

A lot was changed in August of '12.  I literally walked into the AAA office with my title and insurance (I do all my tags through there - member and the girl doing tags is cute),  paid for them with no pictures or anything, and a week later I had my tag.  Completely painless procedure.

Thats awesome. Everyone has been making me believe the state has really clamped down. Another few months and the car will be 25, time to get on it. Thanks man.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

I had police come (and apologize for coming) because "someone called in and said... that there are... guys working on cars?". I asked them if we were being too loud (it was 8pm) and they said that it's my house and I can do whatever the hell I want in it. Then they apologized for disturbance, asked a few questions about the race and my Camaro, and left.

Then I had code enforcement notice as soon as we took the bumper cover off of the Stanza (for no tags, no less, even though the rear tag was still on the car). A week later I cut the car up and left the chopped up carcass in the driveway for a few weeks, cause apparently that doesn't violate anything.

Finally, got a visit from a friendly inspector who said that people claimed I was running a repair business out of my driveway, and had cars coming in and out. I told him those are all my cars and I run a race team, and he apologized and closed the case.

This is all from a neighbor whose dumbass daughter nicked my teammate's e30 parked on the street and didn't 'fess up to it, despite a nice dent on her car with his paint on it.

K Car Stalker

43 (edited by EriktheAwful 2013-08-06 09:36 AM)

My Jag's currently in violation of city ordinances because the engine's out and I don't have to have it covered. My wife held a garage sale last weekend (I was out of town) and said she fielded tons of questions about the car and Lemons. Everybody was interested and positive. I think it helps that I recently repainted it in a spiffy sparkling white color and all the chrome is still in place. That, and it's been a while since my dog got loose and went peeing in everyone's flower beds.

Our parts Jetta is on my trailer in front of my folks house on the street.  The cops have been called once so far on it probably by the real estate tramp across the street.  Since the trailer is more than 50% on the property they can't do squat about it. 

I really am trying to get rid of it just havent had the time.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Thread from the dead! (thanks to Jalopnik and ninjacoco)

I've checked many times, and my lease says nothing about working on cars or inoperable cars. I'm not about to point it out to my landlord, who never comes by.

I am worried about my downstairs neighbor however. He buys old saabs, fixes them in ways that scare even me, and resells them. Never registers them, and is clearly doing it to flip them. I know he's breaking laws with how many he's flipping, and i'm waiting for the cops to come visit. That could spell the end of my driveway of Lemons cars.

example of "fixes" Taking a wirebrush to brake rotors to remove rust and calling them brand new. Or excessive cutting and welding near suspension points when I know he has no idea what he's doing with a welder.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

He buys old saabs, fixes them in ways that scare even me....

Sounds like our racing strategy.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

47 (edited by nismonotz 2014-02-25 10:17 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Thread from the dead! (thanks to Jalopnik and ninjacoco)

I've checked many times, and my lease says nothing about working on cars or inoperable cars. I'm not about to point it out to my landlord, who never comes by.

I am worried about my downstairs neighbor however. He buys old saabs, fixes them in ways that scare even me, and resells them. Never registers them, and is clearly doing it to flip them. I know he's breaking laws with how many he's flipping, and i'm waiting for the cops to come visit. That could spell the end of my driveway of Lemons cars.

example of "fixes" Taking a wirebrush to brake rotors to remove rust and calling them brand new. Or excessive cutting and welding near suspension points when I know he has no idea what he's doing with a welder.

I had a flash back I had a room mate that thought a soda pop can and jb weld was a legit fix for a exhaust manifold on a toyota camry 4trac. and cutting out a section of brake line and putting a piece of coolent hose and a sheet load of hose clamps was a safe fix. If you lived in ridgefield wa I would sware you were talking about him. scary sheet I didnt want to ride in his cars.

mharrell wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

He buys old saabs, fixes them in ways that scare even me....

Sounds like our racing strategy.

you have cool saabs. Be only buys late 90's 900/93s

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

49 (edited by Greg S 2014-02-27 06:09 AM)

I trailered Angelina (1987 Alfa Romeo Milano) to our local universities' Italian studies "Concorso De Eleganza" I set it up proudly next to a Ferrari and a Maserati. I stacked all 6 Lemons trophies on top of the car and had a little detail sheet made up giving the cars history. Definitely not a garage or trailer queen.

18 races, 12,000 + miles of racing over 5 years on the original bottom end.

I had swarms of Kids all over the car and quite a few adults, anyone that came close I invited to jump inside and have at it. I suggested a couple of kids to climb on top of it and jump up and down on it.

I had my laptop setup showing a little of one of the races from the cockpit and the slow motion Video of the Deer (BMW Bambi)  taking me out of P1 at the race at Summit point.

The university people loved the car, the spectators loved the car. The Italian car club guys, well they didn't love the car so much. Big Surprise. Leaving the show after it was over I wound up the motor to the redline and demonstrated what an real Italian tuneup is like. Funny thing is I actually belong to one of those Italian car clubs...

Greg

http://i61.tinypic.com/313hix0.jpg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

FJ40Jim wrote:

Only from my wife.

Ditto

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14