Re: Have you received a complaint about your Lemons car?

chevette wrote:
FJ40Jim wrote:

Only from my wife.

Ditto

My wife races with us.  We spent our 10yr anniversary at a Lemons race, ON DIFFERENT TEAMS.  To say that she is a keeper would be an understatement.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I rent a townhome in complex with an HOA, and keep my race car in the garage. I do all my work there too (including completely dismantling a parts car). Lots of opportunity to get hassled, so I make sure I'm on good terms with all my neighbors. If any of them need help with their car or anything else, I'm always happy to oblige. Seems to work well, as everyone enjoys seeing the car and never gives me any grief at all.

Irvine PD on the other hand, can eat a bowl of dicks. A few months ago I took The Homer to Cars and Coffee. It's not registered or insured (although it's still under non-op status with the DMV, so at least they have record of it) so I towed it there. I parked my truck and trailer in the back lot and then had to drive on the street for literally 200 feet to enter the main "show" lot. No problems there, but on the way out, I had to drive that same 200 feet back to where my truck was parked. There's always an Irvine PD officer on a bike parked at the exist to keep people from doing burnouts or acting like idiots. I actually appreciate that. So I figured I'd have no problem driving back to my truck as long as the cop saw I wasn't driving away down the road. I figured wrong. As I was literally 3 feet from the ramps of my trailer, he pulls me over (well, technically I was already stopped).

He was your stereotypical power tripping cop who grilled me for about 15 minutes. He asked why the car wasn't registered and insured, and I responded that it's an off highway race car. "Oh, this is a race car?" Granted, it doesn't look like your typical race car, but wouldn't the lack of interior or lights, added roll cage, racing seat, harnesses, and numbers on the side give you a clue? "So what would you do if someone ran into the car?" I dunno, bash out the dent with a hammer and hit it with another coat of house paint? "What were you thinking" about driving the car on "his street?" I was "thinking" you'd have some basic discretion and not be a douchebag when you saw I was clearly driving right to my friggin' trailer.

I apologized profusely (I literally said that, and he sarcastically responded "Well, if you're apologizing profusely, I guess you really mean it") and begged forgiveness while promising not to do it again. All the while, a crowd had gathered and was watching the whole thing. I was simultaneously annoyed and amused by the whole thing, so I kinda turned it into a spectacle. He finally let me go. Thankfully, a good friend of mine was there and snapped this photo. After the officer was clearly done harassing me, my friend walked over to me and the car, and the officer said to him in an aggressive tone, "Sir, please step back!" I responded that I thought we were done, and that the guy who walked over was my friend who was with me, so he could do what he pleases.

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1176349_170815749773975_507330228_n.jpg

If you can't tell, this left a bad taste in my mouth. I had been told that Irvine cops like to harass people because they have nothing better to do, and this confirmed it.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Everything I have heard about Irvine tells me your impression is correct.  If it sounds like harassment to someone who can deal with (1) living in an HOA (2) living in said HOA as a RENTER, then I would classify it as harassment in the first degree...

As for me, set off a few car alarms with #140 this fine morning in Phoenix, after parking on my driveway overnight (hey, no one stole the fire extinguisher!) which Im sure caused some grumbles...and I'm sure the guy in the WRX who I closed the door on going down the I 10 onramp has some complaints... You don't post here do ya?

Drive your Lemons car to work on Fridays, it's a thing...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

54 (edited by ICAustinMiniMan 2014-03-02 08:15 PM)

We're extremely lucky for several reasons. Even though I live more or less downtown in Spartanburg, we have a decently large (1.5 Acres or so) fenced lot, and we're  the only non-rental house near-by so no one ever really complains. That being said, the sheer number of cars on my property is kind of insane at times. There are a couple of small houses on the property we rent, so there are the tenants cars, which is normally 5-8 cars. Then my 13 cars, including the Planet Express and two parts cars. When the race team is here there's 4 or 5 more cars. Plus four trailers. So, in this relatively small "compound" we end up with around 25 cars. I think 28 is the record.

Almost no one ever gives us a hard time about the Planet Express. One recent incident was kind of funny... My mom was in the front yard with one of our dogs, and a  student at the near-by college walked by. She looked at our race car and goes "Hey lady, is that a Taxi or something?" My mom replied "No, it's my son's race car. It's supposed to be a spaceship from some cartoon, I'm not really sure." The student immediately goes "Oh my God! IT'S THE PLANET EXPRESS!"

That was a good feeling.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

No complains. That is the joy of living on the south side of Chicago. As long as you are not shooting someone, selling drugs (if I kept on racing this my be a viable option for race money ), or working on the car with power tools at two in the morning you can do almost anything. If I drive the car through college neighborhoods, it transforms into an art project.

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

coolhand454 wrote:

No complains. That is the joy of living on the south side of Chicago. As long as you are not shooting someone, selling drugs (if I kept on racing this my be a viable option for race money ), or working on the car with power tools at two in the morning you can do almost anything. If I drive the car through college neighborhoods, it transforms into an art project.

But if you go down there, you better just beware of a man named Leroy Brown. Hmmm, epic theme for Continental/Eldorado racers...

coolhand454 wrote:

This is why we are looking at the portions of Gary, IN that got leveled in the urban renewal before the city ran out of money (again).  Just looked at a 2.5 acre block...12 electrical drops available and the same number of sewer and water connections for the price of 1/8 acre lot in someplace still cheap like Hammond.  I figure we could fence 1 acre for the shop/bachelor pad then the remainder could be for the perimeter minefield and proper sight lines for for the roof-top 50 cal.

Type44 wrote:
coolhand454 wrote:

But if you go down there, you better just beware of a man named Leroy Brown. Hmmm, epic theme for Continental/Eldorado racers...

big_smile Thanks. I was trying to work that line in the post somewhere.

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

Our lemon has been in the garage for a year, but before that spent most of its time in the driveway. A couple of junk parts cars had come and gone, the lemon spent a season in front of the house on the street with a car cover (without tags or plates), and an unregistered car spent about 6 months street parked. Never had a problem, even though at one point my wife and I had 6 or 7 cars parked around that my poor neighbors had to avoid.

BUT... Then a house went on sale a couple of houses down about the same time a second Lemons build was taking space in my driveway and the overly zealous realtor started calling weekly to report all of my cars (including a street parked '69 Mustang coupe that doesn't move too often -- that's just un 'murican). We got notices, and cleared it up to code (non-op in the driveway, racecar in the garage, sold a car or two), and had a chat with the officer about how her brother raced in some other series and got these visits all the time...

We just dug in as the realtor kept reporting the cars, that the trash cans hadn't been put away promptly, or whatever she felt kept her overpriced house from selling, as I threatened to paint the garage door bright purple for a few weeks to see if that helped to move her property...

Once the house changed hands, the problem went away - some people are just like that, and we're lucky they don't have any authority. I don't know how you guys live with HOA's...

Auto Lemon Union www.facebook.com/autolemonunion     
'11 - Point, Sweat, Skank; '12 - Point, Sweat, Vodden, Freeze, '13 Point (+even), Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '14 Problem, Point, Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '15 Point, Lemonites, Freeze.

f263u wrote:

Our lemon has been in the garage for a year, but before that spent most of its time in the driveway. A couple of junk parts cars had come and gone, the lemon spent a season in front of the house on the street with a car cover (without tags or plates), and an unregistered car spent about 6 months street parked. Never had a problem, even though at one point my wife and I had 6 or 7 cars parked around that my poor neighbors had to avoid.

BUT... Then a house went on sale a couple of houses down about the same time a second Lemons build was taking space in my driveway and the overly zealous realtor started calling weekly to report all of my cars (including a street parked '69 Mustang coupe that doesn't move too often -- that's just un 'murican). We got notices, and cleared it up to code (non-op in the driveway, racecar in the garage, sold a car or two), and had a chat with the officer about how her brother raced in some other series and got these visits all the time...

We just dug in as the realtor kept reporting the cars, that the trash cans hadn't been put away promptly, or whatever she felt kept her overpriced house from selling, as I threatened to paint the garage door bright purple for a few weeks to see if that helped to move her property...

Once the house changed hands, the problem went away - some people are just like that, and we're lucky they don't have any authority. I don't know how you guys live with HOA's...

Don't know either... As politically moderate me said to my vocal-Libertarian father... "I don't understand why you pay out of pocket to comply with one more level of government than I do!" He had a hard time coming up with a retort...

Type44 wrote:

Don't know either... As politically moderate me said to my vocal-Libertarian father... "I don't understand why you pay out of pocket to comply with one more level of government than I do!" He had a hard time coming up with a retort...

That's the single best description I've ever heard of an HOA. They're just un-'Murican.