Re: Lemons Radio Tech

Mulry wrote:

Another antenna question. Say you were going to run a car with an entirely fiberglass body. Obviously, a magnetic antenna mount won't work (unless you rivet some steel to the top of your fiberglass body). What's the best mobile antenna option then? One of the through-hole antenna mounts?

You'll still want a piece of metal for a ground plane.  Hold a cookie sheet (or similar) to the inside of the roof with the NMO mount.

I remember seeing (maybe asking?) this question in a different thread, but now my search-fu fails me, so I'll ask it here since it should be in this thread anyway.

I know that the best thing would be to have the antenna cable to be just the right length from the radio to the antenna with little extra cable. I also know that shortening the cable involves voodoo beyond a simple caveman radio installer's capabilities. I further remember that there is a suggested way to not coil up the extra cable lest it create increased capacitance or inductance or interference or crosstalk or other radio-guy vocabulary.

Say a team is running out of time to get the cable shortened and just needs to do the best it can with the too-long cable that it has. What's the least-bad way to deal with the extra cable? I know that coiling it in a tight bundle with a zip tie is about the worst thing to do, performance wise. Thanks guys.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Say a team is running out of time to get the cable shortened and just needs to do the best it can with the too-long cable that it has. What's the least-bad way to deal with the extra cable? I know that coiling it in a tight bundle with a zip tie is about the worst thing to do, performance wise. Thanks guys.

If you coil it in, say, a loop no smaller than 8" in diameter, you'll be fine.  Zip ties are ok as long as you don't fasten them like The Hulk.  After that, you just need to use the usual wire precautions (no pinch points, no hot spots, etc.)

Ex-USAF civilian, still a wench

It appears a few of you are familiar with the handy and cheap Baofeng UV-5R. Well we've picked up a couple and some headsets.

What I don't like about this is how short the whole setup is. I guess it would work great for a motorcycle, but not so much for a car. I don't know what kind of connector this is:

http://www18.babidou.com/pic/2009/3/16/picturesplus/2010_b/IMG_6369.JPG

I'd like to get about a 6' extension to match that connector so I can route it in a safer way than having a bunch of wires in my way. Please let me know if you know what that connector is called.

It's a 5-pin Mini Din.

The wiring in those is more or less conductive dental floss and the mini-dins are easy to misalign which leads to bent pins and a loss of communication.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I just got a set of Motorola MT352R's for the Brickmobile.  Our car is a 93 Mustang hatchback, that we run without the hatch.

My question is would it be beneficial to mount the radio in the back, so there is no metal above it?  Sorry, but I've got no clue as to what would help or hurt the performance of these radios.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

As long as its in a open area and not next to any metal you are good to go. Next best thing is to mount it as high as poss or run a roof mount antenna.

Hope this helps-

Cheers, Shawn Sampson

Shawn Sampson 
"Helps only a phone call away!"

racinrob wrote:

I just got a set of Motorola MT352R's for the Brickmobile.  Our car is a 93 Mustang hatchback, that we run without the hatch.

My question is would it be beneficial to mount the radio in the back, so there is no metal above it?  Sorry, but I've got no clue as to what would help or hurt the performance of these radios.

We've found that using a good roof-mount antenna has made a big difference in improving the clarity of our radio comms. We use an antenna like this:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/l … -6069.html

On a thru-roof base like this:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/l … -7565.html

Utilizing a roof-mount antenna permits you to keep the radio closer to the driver, which is nice because it permits the driver to manipulate the volume control on the radio. Also makes it easier to run the radio wiring harness. Cheers & good luck.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thanks guys.

I wonder if the wing on the roof would effect a roof mounted antennae?

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013

It really depends on how much room is around the antenna. Again the more the better..

Make sure you using the correct freq antenna for your radio. Most racing radios should be in the 450-460 MHz range. Also some antenna will work better than others. There is a video under srcproducts on YouTube that will really help you understand what you need.

Again hope this helps,

Shawn

Shawn Sampson 
"Helps only a phone call away!"

The MT352R is a Motorola Talkabout GMRS/FRS radio with a fixed antenna.

Some teams in the past, drilled a hole in the roof for the antenna to stick out. Not sure how much it helped.

Whatever you decide to do, try to get a good idea of track coverage during practice. That way you will know when and where you can communicate with the car.

In order to run an external/roof mount antenna you typically need a business radio. Their were some older GMRS radios that did not have FRS which had removable antennas allowing for external antennas.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

The MT352R is a Motorola Talkabout GMRS/FRS radio with a fixed antenna.

Some teams in the past, drilled a hole in the roof for the antenna to stick out. Not sure how much it helped.

Whatever you decide to do, try to get a good idea of track coverage during practice. That way you will know when and where you can communicate with the car.

In order to run an external/roof mount antenna you typically need a business radio. Their were some older GMRS radios that did not have FRS which had removable antennas allowing for external antennas.

Thanks Troy.  I learned when they showed up there was no removing the antennae.

I just mounted a coffee can on the trans tunnel, filled it with sound deadening foam, and the radio fits nice and snug.

I am amazed at the battery life of these radios.  I turned them on and forgot about them.  Came back over 12 hours later and the battery life gauge still showed 3/4.

This might be a bit of a dumb question, but is it completely implausible to just use a hand-held radio in the car, and not bother with the headset stuff? Is it likely completely inaudible and inaccessible?

I'm thinking the answer to both is probably yes, but was just wondering if anyone had any experience of it. I don't want to go down the route of in-helmet audio kits, mainly because if we do that everyone will think we'll be fast and we aren't.

Chris

39 (edited by Mulry 2014-04-25 10:40 AM)

pugwonk wrote:

This might be a bit of a dumb question, but is it completely implausible to just use a hand-held radio in the car, and not bother with the headset stuff? Is it likely completely inaudible and inaccessible?

I'm thinking the answer to both is probably yes, but was just wondering if anyone had any experience of it. I don't want to go down the route of in-helmet audio kits, mainly because if we do that everyone will think we'll be fast and we aren't.

Chris

Not only completely implausible, but also against the rules. Rule 5.3: "No loose or hand-held receivers are allowed in the car."

pugwonk wrote:

Chris

The answer to all of the above is pretty much YES. Some teams have gotten a dash mounted radio and a loud speaker to work.

A handheld radio is a FAIL on multiple levels. I would recommend against that one.

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

Some teams have gotten a dash mounted radio and a loud speaker to work.

Apologies, yes, this was what I meant - a hand-held radio, but bolted somewhere. But, now I think about it, there's no way anyone in the pit could hear what you said...

Thanks all.

Chris

But thinking out of the box is welcomed. The Blue Goose Audi team down here has a pretty unique setup (or at least it's the only one I've seen like this). They have a Bluetooth setup in each driver's helmet, then a bluetooth-compatible radio head unit and big stereo speakers and an in-car cell phone. I'm not sure how the driver dials out (or if he even can?) but I know that if the pit wants to know something, they just call the car.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it, as I think you want the driver able to talk to the pits pretty much on demand and without waiting for the cell phone network to connect you (especially given the somewhat flaky nature of cell service at remote race tracks), but it is unique and kind of funny to hear.

We use a hand held radio (secured) to drive the communication system. Every driver has a com setup in their helmets. It works very well and you don't have to struggle to hear and understand what is being said on the radio. It makes a big difference.

I think I stated my feelings about this earlier in teh thread....

DO NOT GET CHEAP RADIOS!

We did and they sucked.  We eventually stepped it up to a proper car harness, helmet setups, with business radios and an external mount antenna.   SOOOOO MUCH BETTER!

We spent 3 times teh amount of money we needed to buy buying different crap trying to get the system reliable.  Just get the good stuff right away.

Rob R.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

wvumtnbkr wrote:

DO NOT GET CHEAP RADIOS!

We did and they sucked.  We eventually stepped it up to a proper car harness, helmet setups, with business radios and an external mount antenna.   SOOOOO MUCH BETTER!

We spent 3 times teh amount of money we needed to buy buying different crap trying to get the system reliable.  Just get the good stuff right away.

Rob R.

We did the same thing, skip the cheap stuff and go right  to expensive and wind up saving 50%

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

46 (edited by Mulry 2014-04-27 07:54 AM)

Team Infinniti wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:

DO NOT GET CHEAP RADIOS!

Rob R.

We did the same thing, skip the cheap stuff and go right  to expensive and wind up saving 50%

I completely endorse this attitude, but it may be slightly misplaced for a new team that may be trying to discover if they are hooked on our addiction. Believe it or not, there are teams that form, do one or two races, and disband. For those teams, it would not make a lot of sense to sink serious $$ into radio set ups.

So my advice for a new teams, still trying to see if they are really & fully addicted, would be to skip the radios entirely for the first race or two. Use a pit board  and hand signals/flashing headlights from the driver. That really is good enough for your first couple of races, and gives your team enough time to figure out if they are in it to stay. Then if so, spend the $$ on quality radio set ups. IMHO, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:

DO NOT GET CHEAP RADIOS!

Rob R.

I completely endorse this attitude, but it may be slightly misplaced for a new team that may be trying to discover if they are hooked on our addiction. Believe it or not, there are teams that form, do one or two races, and disband. For those teams, it would not make a lot of sense to sink serious $$ into radio set ups.

So my advice for a new teams, still trying to see if they are really & fully addicted, would be to skip the radios entirely for the first race or two. Use a pit board  and hand signals/flashing headlights from the driver. That really is good enough for your first couple of races, and gives your team enough time to figure out if they are in it to stay. Then if so, spend the $$ on quality radio set ups. IMHO, etc.

We went a slightly different route.  Our primary method is the playlist.  I setup iPod playlists that correspond to stint length.  When the music stops, you bring the car into the pits.  See, the boomin' stereo is not JUST for theme purposes.

We also have the pit board as a backup/supplementary system.  And in case things go wrong and stints are getting cut short...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/s403x403/1471242_10151843865829495_1556097878_n.jpg

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

48 (edited by revvhappy 2014-05-11 09:01 PM)

Mulry wrote:

This was my situation at CMP. New car and didn't want to start spending a lot of money until I knew it worked. I chose a pair of Baofeng radios ($80/pair), and purchased a couple of battery eliminators ($4 each). I have a friend who's good with electronics and he wired in a more stout Kenwood audio plug and a PTT button, and I installed a 1/4 wave 450-470 antenna. I left the extra antenna coax coiled and zip tied to the dash bar. All of my drivers had decent IMSA-style headsets/mics which would be necessary with any radio set-up. The system worked perfectly all weekend, even at the farthest point on the track. The battery eliminator plugs into a lighter socket attached to the radio box, and the battery in the "crew" radio lasted 7 hours before we switched it out.

This is the final wiring with the excess in a coil. The radio is easily reachable by the driver (not shown in the photo).

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/revvhappy/Radioandantennawiring.jpg

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

Question. We're thinking of stepping up from the midlands. Can you run a radio with the battery and power from the car? I wouldn't want my radio going dead if the car died for some reason. It's happened once or twice where power to the whole car just goes dead.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

All the cars with radios I've driven (2?) have had the radio powered by the car BUT the radio still seemed like it had its individual rechargeable battery installed.

I'm just guessing, but wouldn't the radio just switch to battery power when the kill switch is cut?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing