Re: Lemons Radio Tech

CowDriver wrote:

For at least the third time, the wires ripped out of my push-to-talk button.
I am using the ones from Sampson (SRC), which are supposed to be
pretty good, but they are absolutely non-repairable.   Does anyone have
any suggestions for really rugged PTT switches?   The problem is
that someone always seems to get hung up on the cord and yanks it
out of the button assembly.

If not totally rugged, I would settle for ones that can be taken apart and
repaired.

Most PTT buttons can be repaired. You will need to take it apart and do some soldering but for the most part they can be fixed.

Install suggestions - Mount the PTT on the steering wheel Lt spoke, then run the cord to the center hub area and zip-tie it. At that point run the coil cord under the steering rack and then Zip-tie it again under the rack. This way the coil cord will only pull on the Zip-Tie sections and not the button or the connection point for the in-car harness.- Hope this helps

Cheers, Shawn

Shawn Sampson 
"Helps only a phone call away!"

mohrspeed wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

Any suggestions on earbuds that won't break the bank?

Any stereo earbuds will work, but since they are stereo, you'll only hear out of one ear. Like these: http://compare.ebay.com/like/1907117430 … p;var=sbar

The cheapest mono ear buds i've seen are $30: http://www.sampsonracing.com/Sportman_E … rtsman.htm

Great point mohrspeed!

They have to be Mono buds to work in a standard helmet kit

Shawn Sampson 
"Helps only a phone call away!"

mohrspeed wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

Any suggestions on earbuds that won't break the bank?

Any stereo earbuds will work, but since they are stereo, you'll only hear out of one ear. Like these: http://compare.ebay.com/like/1907117430 … p;var=sbar

The cheapest mono ear buds i've seen are $30: http://www.sampsonracing.com/Sportman_E … rtsman.htm

Rugged Radios has them for $15.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?m … cts_id=318

I would recommend getting the ones that have the transducers in them.  If you're going to the trouble of installing a radio system, make sure you can hear it in a car with open windows and a couple of overly loud racecars besides you.

Everyone that I know that cheaped out initially with the cheap buds, tossed them and went with the transducers.  IMO, it's worth it.  Nothing is more frustrating than asking "what?" over the radio time and time again.

Tubby

Tubby wrote:

I would recommend getting the ones that have the transducers in them.  If you're going to the trouble of installing a radio system, make sure you can hear it in a car with open windows and a couple of overly loud racecars besides you.

Everyone that I know that cheaped out initially with the cheap buds, tossed them and went with the transducers.  IMO, it's worth it.  Nothing is more frustrating than asking "what?" over the radio time and time again.

Have a link?

I'm assuming that you have a helmet kit installed. 

http://www.sampsonracing.com/HD_Pro_Foa … %20pro.htm

Tubby

Odd question but I can't help but ask considering the area we will be in.

We will be running in Gator-O-Rama this November and happened to stumble across some Midland 88 channel Marine Radios.  They are listed as 5 watt 2 way radios, can accept an external antenna and PTT accessories.  Are these acceptable for Lemons?  Or better asked; are these legal from the FCC for Lemons?  We won't be near any large bodies of water or recreational lakes.  These are significantly cheaper than some race specific VHF radios and are easier to come by than some MURS radios.  I am assuming these are cheaper for a reason that excludes them from auto use but cannot find a specific topic as to why.  Thanks in advance!

Those Marine VHF radios are illegal for use on land. I have no idea what the chances are that you would be caught, but I wouldn't risk it. The USCG supposedly monitors some channels, and I've also heard that some local law enforcement agencies are assigned VHF channels in areas far enough away from the coast. If law enforcement shows up at the track and starts making a fuss and/or shutting the race down, Jay will be pretty unhappy with the offending party.

A GMRS radio in the car with an external antenna on the roof is good enough for most teams, as long as you find an unused channel or your radios have the privacy settings. You won't have good reception all the way around the track, but if you have a race controller in the grandstands with a handheld, he should be able to talk to the driver for a good 1/3 of the track at MSR. If you have the equipment and want better reception, you can also go higher power with GMRS, which is technically illegal, but practically impossible for anyone to notice.

The best combination of price/quality/quasi-legality without a license is probably MURS, but you need someone who knows how to program the damn radios if they aren't already set up right. I say "quasi-legal" because supposedly the cheap-ish, readily-available (used or Chinese-made new) business radios that a lot of teams use are not technically legal for non-licensed use even when programmed correctly, but unless you have an FCC representative standing there physically inspecting your radios, it's impossible for anyone to know anything's not kosher as long as you stay on the right channels.

Granted, most of my knowledge comes from half-assed internet research and hearsay; your mileage may vary, etc. etc.

Question related to UV-5R radios. I made my own car harness because i'm a gluten for punishment and enjoy figuring out how to do things. The volume coming out of these on the headset is insanely loud. Anything more than 1/3 volume is too much. I think full volume would do damage. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm going to throw a variable potentiometer in line so I can dial in a little bit of volume reduction without dropping it too much. I might need to do the same thing to the mic. I noticed my receive radio just cutting out when the input to the mic was too high.

I'm guessing that inline resistors are common, but i'm figuring this all out on my own, and I wasn't able to find a ton of info online on specific wiring diagrams. Also, i'm a mechanical engineer, not electrical. So this is like figuring out a foreign language. If I was smart I'd just buy a premade harness, but like I said, I like figuring out how to make things.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

An update to the above. I made my own harness for the radios successfully. I have two photometers added to my switch panel, one for volume, one for microphone level. I set them once at the start of the race and leave them. I suspect the harness you buy have set resistors added, but I had to figure it out on my own.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Finally got around to writing up what we have learned on Lemony comms setup.  Hope this helps someone.  Feel free to ask more questions.

We went with the cheapo lemony Midland setup and after 7 races...seems to be pretty dialed in.  Our car is Gen 1 RX7, so the thing is a hornets nest and radio volume was a problem for us.  Here are details I sent to another guy who picked up a helmet from me.  Under $500 for full setup.  sorry for the length, but I tried to be complete.

Radios.  Get 4.  I know it seems like 2 should be enough, but trust me, you will want 4.  We are even thinking about getting another 2.  They generally come in sets of 2, and amazon is best place to order from.  You have two options.
- Midland GXT1000VP4.  This is what we use.  They work well.  Should be able to find 4 with charger stand, 12V cord and cheapo crew headsets for ~$100.  Batteries last a long time, but very little warning before running out.
- Midland GXT2000VP4.  This is newest version.  They add a few things like "HD dynamic range for loader sound".  Might be useful, but I am not certain.  They are ~$15 more per radio.

Headsets for Crew.  Just use the ones that come with the radios.  Or use plug in a standard set of ipod headphones into the signal out part of a handset and use that to listen and talk into the radio.  That is actually even better.  We bought a fancy over the head crew setup, but we rarely use it.  Kind of bulky to wear and you have to take it on and off to talk to other people when not talking to driver. 

Headsets for Drivers.  Buy 4 or 5 MIDLAND RADIO AVPH2 Closed Face Helmet Headset Kit w/boom mi (MID-AVPH2).  You will need one for each helmet and I recommend getting a spare.  They are about $35 each, which is more than other off brand ones which say they are compatible with Midland.  Don't believe it, they won't work right.  Trust me...we have tried plenty and only the Midland AVPH2 ones work they way you need them to.

Amplifier for the audio to driver.  Our car is loud, yours may be quieter, but this cheap addition is so worth it.  You can get almost any kind with 3.5mm jack, but we bought FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier and have been super happy with it.  $65 on amazon.  There are cheaper versions that I suspect work just as well.

Power outlets for the car.  Get one or even two 12V cigarette lighter splitters.  We have one that splits into 3 outlets (so you can plug 3 12V plugs in) and we run out of space and then end up using plugs that run two USB's.  My advice would be get two splitters so you have 6 DC outlets.  Go pros, amplifier, radios, etc, etc.  Seems like we always run out of plugs.  They are cheap.  like $15 to $20 on amazon.

Cords to go from your driver headset to your amplifier and to go the the PTT button (that you mount on steering wheel...don't try it on gear shift, that sucks).  These are cheap but can be tricky to find.  You need three.  none of them need to be very long.
One 3.5mm extender (one male end, one female end) to go from the 3.5mm plug on the dual headset plug to the amplifier.  the 3.5mm plug is for the speaker.
One 3.5mm extender (two male ends) to go from the amplifier to the 3.5mm hole in the Radio handset in the car
One 2.5mm extender (one male end, one female end) to go from the 2.5mm plug on the dual headset plug to the 2.5mm hole in the radio handset in the car.  The 2.5mm plug is for the microphone from the driver to the radio.

Radio holder for the car.  Get a Racing Radio box to clamp on roll cage and put your radio in.  Well worth it or you are always trying to keep your radio from flying around the car.  Here is one from Amazon for $30 plus shipping -  Racing Radios Warehouse RBOX Radio Box.  Should be able to find on ruggedradios or other racing radio sites.

Installation tips: 
1) Mark a line on the quick disconnects on all the headset units with silver sharpie or some bright paint or fingernail polish to help you line them up when connecting.  But remember, you are going to be plugging different helmets into and out of the same PTT button that stays in the car.  So pick a PTT button and wire harness, plug in a headset and mark it.  Then plug in next headset to that same PTT and mark that.  Once done, mark your spare PTT buttons.  This will save you lots of bent pins. 
2) Install the one PTT button in the car, and toss the others that come with the other headsets in the spares box.  You won't need those unless you break the one in the car.  You just unplug and plug in when drivers change.  Mount it on steering wheel for thumb control.  If you have a stick shift, probably best to put it near left thumb.
3) Run constant power to the radio and to the amplifier in the car (through the 12v plugs).  Nothing worse than being halfway through the race and having radio go dead.  they generally last a long time on a charge, but hard to know when they are fully charged.
4) Spend some time installing headset and mic in helmets.  You will see on the helmet i gave you some holes in the inside of front of helmet.  this is for a small ziptie to go around the mic.  mandatory or it falls off if you just use sticky tape.  You will also notice slits in the two helmet ear pieces.  This is where we slide in the sticky ear speakers.  Putting them inside the material of the helmet ensures they don't come off when putting the helmet on and off.  Lastly, you will see a tiny hole drilled in side of helmet.  This is for ziptie to hold the cords so when you accidentally yank on them, the whole thing doesn't fall apart.
5) PTT disconnect that connects to helmet headsets.  Find a good place to mount this in the car where helpers can plug and unplug easily when drivers are getting into and out of the car.  We have ours in the center of the car so the plug is to the drivers right.  I think if we could find a way to do it on the drivers left, it would be better and easier to get to.  Several times we have forgotten to plug in during driver change and ours is impossible to reach by the driver while driving.  IF you could figure out a spot for driver to reach in case it gets unplugged, that would be ideal.

Last thing...antenna.  We actually run our system on the "h" setting with no external antennae and it seems to work well at all the tracks except thunderhill which is 5 miles and a lot of hills and places where radio reception fades a little.  I know you can get an external antennae to hook up to the radio, but we have never felt like we needed it.  Even at thunderhill we get 3/4's of the track with good reception which works fine.  2 mile tracks we get full track reception.

Good luck!

Has anyone tackled being able to splice in audio into a GoPro  from a receiver and from the Transmitter of a baofeng  radio?
I want to put have that audio information when recording the GoPro

DNF Racing 1992 Mazda Miata
"Cheat to win"

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/m … _Code=IOPP

CTSparky wrote:

Has anyone tackled being able to splice in audio into a GoPro  from a receiver and from the Transmitter of a baofeng  radio?

I'm pretty sure Troy has a solution. A more affordable solution.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Or better yet, do what these guys did.  They used a spare radio with a GoPro remote mic zip tied to it.  It solved two problems.  They got the mic out of the air coming in the side window, thus reducing wind noise, and they got radio traffic mixed with the sounds of racing.  Given the price of Baofeng radios, it's a cheaper and much more LeMony solution than the I/O port mixer.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 75#p279375

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

One can also plug a second radio's headphone output into one channel of a stereo microphone input.

Scott

If your using an extension wire from the radio could you just use a Y connector on the radio to feed the gopro, or will that mess up the impedance badly? The on the gopro side use a Y or a self wired TRS jack. One side from radio one side from mono mic into the gopro?

Impedance is always the part where things go awry with me. I suck at Signal AC.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

CTSparky wrote:

Talk to Troy.  He'll fix you right up.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Talk to Troy.  He'll fix you right up.

It's not just a penalty anymore!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I called  troy. He has a solution.  We are going to stop using an external mic.  And we will be putting in a y connector. One side to a 1/4 plug,  the other to a 3.5 mm plug. 

Then wire in a male to male plug into the go pro.

We are hoping that the internal mic will still pic up stuff,  and both ways of our communications will go over that audio.

DNF Racing 1992 Mazda Miata
"Cheat to win"

I don't really want to dig up an old tread but this seamed the best place to ask my radio question. 

I am planning on buying one of the Rugged Radio kits from the Lemons store.  I would like to be able to get a radio for everyone on the team but they do not need to be the nice rugged radio ones.  If I run on one of the GMRS bands, can I get some lower power GMRS radios for the other teammembers?  I would assume it would work fine correct?  If they are two far away then they can listen but not respond right?

Has anyone tried this?

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

mully006 wrote:

I don't really want to dig up an old tread but this seamed the best place to ask my radio question. 

I am planning on buying one of the Rugged Radio kits from the Lemons store.  I would like to be able to get a radio for everyone on the team but they do not need to be the nice rugged radio ones.  If I run on one of the GMRS bands, can I get some lower power GMRS radios for the other teammembers?  I would assume it would work fine correct?  If they are two far away then they can listen but not respond right?

Has anyone tried this?

If you are buying this radio from Rugged:
http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/produc … 5r-u-v.htm

It's this radio only in blue instead of black:
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Du … words=uv5r

Either can be programmed for GMRS and used with GMRS radios as you described.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:
mully006 wrote:

Has anyone tried this?

If you are buying this radio from Rugged:
http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/produc … 5r-u-v.htm

It's this radio only in blue instead of black:
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Du … words=uv5r

Either can be programmed for GMRS and used with GMRS radios as you described.

Am I gaining anything from buying the name brand Rugged or should I just get the BoeFeng ones off of amazon? I can piece together the components of the kit.

The Rugged system is already programed with GMRS.

And uhhhhhh it's a fetching Blue?

If you are going to buy a bunch I would say get the Baofengs since you'll need to program them all so you'll get your use out of the programming cable.

If you just want them to have "I swear I was only listening not transmitting mr imaginary FCC guy" Look at the Motorola T460
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Talkabo … orola+t460

It's FMS GMRS and Weather, and $80 for two.

Also more plausible deniability, but you can't use the GMRS repeater system with them.

BTW the GMRS repeater system is growing, I know there's an open public repeater at Autobahn, sadly none around Gingerman.

https://www.mygmrs.com/map/

Could help with line of sight issues since they push way more power.

But you'll probably want to legitimately get your GMRS License since you'll be playing with the Hardcore Hobbyists and you know one of them has the FCC on speed dial, because there's always that guy.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

The Rugged system is already programed with GMRS.

And uhhhhhh it's a fetching Blue?

If you are going to buy a bunch I would say get the Baofengs since you'll need to program them all so you'll get your use out of the programming cable.

If you just want them to have "I swear I was only listening not transmitting mr imaginary FCC guy" Look at the Motorola T460
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Talkabo … orola+t460

It's FMS GMRS and Weather, and $80 for two.

Also more plausible deniability, but you can't use the GMRS repeater system with them.

BTW the GMRS repeater system is growing, I know there's an open public repeater at Autobahn, sadly none around Gingerman.

https://www.mygmrs.com/map/

Could help with line of sight issues since they push way more power.

But you'll probably want to legitimately get your GMRS License since you'll be playing with the Hardcore Hobbyists and you know one of them has the FCC on speed dial, because there's always that guy.

I am probably going to get the rugged system so I know everything will work well together and then add Beofengs as needed. Or the Motorola's that you linked.  I have been looking into the license, seems like a good idea.