Topic: Confusion about what is "Lemons Racing"

Seems to be some Confusion about what is "Lemons Racing",,,, I read the rules. And this is how I interpreted them, Someone who knows, please tell me how far Iam off!

Take a an almost worthless car, Put a roll cage, Belts and a fire extinguisher in it.

Remove as much weight as you can find.

Modify what you can with a drill, saw, grinder.

Now, take traditional "Road Racing" rules,
Add "Simon Says" and "Red light Green Light 123".

And you got yourself a Motor Race!

oh yah,  bring a little theatrics or they wont let you play!

Re: Confusion about what is "Lemons Racing"

Don't forget the beer. You need to bring beer too. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I may forget to breath, But  I will still have the Beer!

We always Bring Beer!  I think the most important thing to remember that you need to forget about winning, and just go to have fun.  That's it, really simple.  At the end of the day you have to look back and remember, we are all just a bunch of nitwits running $500 crapcans that were never supposed to be on a track in essentially a high speed traffic jam for no other reason than to have fun.  If you happen to win, great.  Hell, I considered getting everyone we brought a stint driving the only victory I wanted, anything else that happened, like finishing, was a bonus.  I think that there are some people who may have taken a wrong turn from SCCA/Nasa/PCA etc that may want to reavaluate what their goals are.  The rest of you, I look forward to seeing you at the next event.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

davisriley wrote:

I think that there are some people who may have taken a wrong turn from SCCA/Nasa/PCA etc that may want to reavaluate what their goals are.  The rest of you, I look forward to seeing you at the next event.

And then there are those of us that wanted to escape the all-too-serious atmosphere of the SCCA (hey--club racing guys--you're racing for a $5 "trophy", not a paycheck!) and just hang out, have fun, and ogle weird old crapcans with like-minded automotive deviants...

Enjoy every sandwich.

And some of us just like to blow up engines, change them overnight to blow them up again the next day!!! What could possibly go wrong?

sergio wrote:

And some of us just like to blow up engines, change them overnight to blow them up again the next day!!! What could possibly go wrong?

And meet a bunch of great people who are all willing to get dirty trying to help you get back on track. That is one of the things I like the best.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

davisriley wrote:
sergio wrote:

And meet a bunch of great people who are all willing to get dirty trying to help you get back on track. That is one of the things I like the best.

Don't forget eating with nudists, tool sharing adventures, crazy-ass t-shirts, dressing up in costumes, Coonass Cajuns cooking shrimp, camping on asphalt, getting sideways at 3am... what could possibly go wrong?

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

There are nudists at Lemons? yikes

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

ronman wrote:

Yep - MSR Houston had two teams sponsored by Live Oak Nudist Resort.

They made good burgers, jambalaya, and fixin's.  Srsly.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

doctawife wrote:
ronman wrote:

They were next to us in the pits.

We were totally Boobed!

I keep finding more of those foam boobs.

Boobs aside, Lemons is really about having a good time and there is some good racing too.

Consider it a party with a race going on or a party within a race.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

This past Saturday at Thunderhill, I entered the track behind the Chicken Lickin' Sentra as the formation/transponder testing laps began.  Down the front straight, feathers just FLEW off of chicken lickin' and were soon swirling inside my car.  I thought, "yep, this is Lemons alright!"

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

Any time you get a bunch of racers, its gonna be a fist fight.  The solution is simple as I see it. Its supposed to be a high speed junk float parade  right? Stop making such a big deal about who "won" then. At the end of the race, hand out the trophys and money to the best costumes, least penalties, best car theme or whatever, and at the very end, just mention a quick "good job" to whoever won, and give them a small trophy. As long as such a big deal, and $ is made about the win, then the event encourages participation of those that want to win.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I figure if I ever won I'd celebrate, then ask Jay if he could take the nickels back for the entry fees on the next race!

Spinnetti wrote:

Any time you get a bunch of racers, its gonna be a fist fight.  The solution is simple as I see it. Its supposed to be a high speed junk float parade  right? Stop making such a big deal about who "won" then. At the end of the race, hand out the trophys and money to the best costumes, least penalties, best car theme or whatever, and at the very end, just mention a quick "good job" to whoever won, and give them a small trophy. As long as such a big deal, and $ is made about the win, then the event encourages participation of those that want to win.

I think $1500 in nickels is good enough dissuasion from winning, maybe they just need to emphasize the "nickels" part more.

gregtivo wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

I think $1500 in nickels is good enough dissuasion from winning, maybe they just need to emphasize the "nickels" part more.

You just wait for the 2010 season.

We (think) we got this part handled.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:
gregtivo wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

I was just echoing here some conversation I had with Jay via email, and he said you guys were working on something.. will be interesting to see how it pans out, like any social experiment. Looks like I might drop out of my Toyota team (or get kicked out?) but I'll prolly be back either in my Lexus or my buddy's Neon for yet another year. FWIW, I want to win, but not for prize money or glory, but just to show myself that I have what it takes in organization, technical competence, on-track judgement and driving ability. Junkers they may be, but its a contest nonetheless, if only with myself.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Judge Jonny wrote:
gregtivo wrote:

Please dont get rid of the nickels. The only reason our team spends thousands of dollars a year is hope that we will someday win some nickels to put on mantels.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

Judge Jonny wrote:
gregtivo wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

$1500 dollars worth of commemorative Obama plates?

Mulry wrote:

Don't forget the beer. You need to bring beer too. smile

And BBQ .. lots n' lots of BBQ.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

doctawife wrote:
ronman wrote:

As long as they kept their Nomex underbritches on... yikes

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

22 (edited by Troy 2009-11-24 02:53 PM)

Spinnetti wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:
gregtivo wrote:

I was just echoing here some conversation I had with Jay via email, and he said you guys were working on something.. will be interesting to see how it pans out, like any social experiment. Looks like I might drop out of my Toyota team (or get kicked out?) but I'll prolly be back either in my Lexus or my buddy's Neon for yet another year. FWIW, I want to win, but not for prize money or glory, but just to show myself that I have what it takes in organization, technical competence, on-track judgement and driving ability. Junkers they may be, but its a contest nonetheless, if only with myself.

Yep, something's a brewin for 2010.

I hear IOE is supposed to be more emphasized.

2010 is almost here so I hope we hear something soon.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Spinnetti wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:
gregtivo wrote:

you forgot one there buddy-ro.    LUCK.

ask the "Lightning McQueen Guys" about how luck has dealt them their fate in the last two CMP races.  smile

i really wanted to throw a box of nickels on my shelf in the garage.......... but our captain cashed them in.  sad

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Racing? Endurance?  Its all having an excuse to drink beer, hang out with your buddies, and screw around with a car.  I agree some people won't get it, and let them.  The race itself is an excuse to hoon a car, a celebration of all that drinking beer, buddy time, and screwing around with the car.  When the serious guys get all mad and fight...we laugh and wonder why in the world they would take Lemons racing seriously. 

My only regret was not getting to run the car longer, and we will be back (Jay willing).

Lemons is the most bang for your buck by far! Where else can you pay a low entry fee and have a car that is relatively cheap that you can go out and have so much fun in??

Its all about FUN and Lemons is more fun than a lot of other forms of racing if you are to compare the $$$ spent to do so!