1 (edited by Bobnova 2009-11-24 11:12 PM)

Topic: How much of a car has to remain to still be that car? (rule 2.1)

I ask because my dad and I just got back from the Arse Freeze, and are quite inspired.  The event was an incredible amount of fun to watch (both the racing and the penalty box, while 521 black flags might be annoying for the judges, the make the box non-stop amusement.  I spent a good bit of time following Judge Johnny around), and I think competing would be even better.

We just so happen to have a 81 toyota pickup that was given to us, it's a rusty beat to shit pile, but the important stuff still works (mostly, typical 22r head gasket).
What is coming to our mind is ripping the body off the frame entirely and chucking it (or selling it, if there are any parts without rule holes) and then having our way with the frame till it has better weight distribution and a motor with more then 110hp.  The suspension is nice and strong (truck!), if crude, the cage would more then make up for the missing body stiffness wise, and would accept pretty much any motor we cared to put in without an issue.

The only real issue i see (beyond building a body for dirt cheap, 1/4" plywood might be used) is whether there would be enough car left to qualify per rule 2.1, that being that the car has to be highway legal when it was made.

Well ok the real issue is time and money, but beyond that, would such a car/truck/wooden-deathtrap make it through the rules?  (Not asking if it'd be accepted to race a specific race, just whether we'd be told to GTFO for it being a custom built locost type thing despite using the toyota frame)

Bonus question:  If you weld on things, do you have to budget out the MIG wire and gas?  Or epoxy resin used in stiching plywood together?
In the $200X challange (grassroots motorsports thing) you do, but it doesn't say specifically in the rules.

First post here, too.
When i discovered the forum, i knew i'd have to register big_smile

EDIT:
More bonus question:
If a sponsor donates parts rather then money, does that have to be budgeted at market value?

Re: How much of a car has to remain to still be that car? (rule 2.1)

Not only are you allowed to remove the body and build a new one, we encourage you to do so! Engine swap that fits within the budget (that is, that we believe fits in the budget, e.g. no goddamn M6 engine) sounds good, too. Just, like, make it safe and stuff.

Many of your answers lie within the rules.

That said, you need to have some of a body and it needs to be metal.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Wasn't able to find anything about welding wire and such in the rules.  Seems like it probably doesn't count, y'all aren't nearly as anal about the cost thing as the $200x challenge people, they take it quite seriously.  (I like the attitude here better)
Did find sponsored parts, I missed the word "parts" the first time through.  Whoops.

Metal body makes sense, plywood does burn kinda well.

When I mentioned the idea of building a plywood Countach body on the frame of a free 454-powered 3/4-ton GMC pickup to Jay (creating the world's first PlyBorghini!) to Jay, he seemed to think it would be an excellent idea. So, plywood might make it into the race if you can convince Jay it's safe. Metal is a better bet, though.

Bobnova wrote:

rule holes

"Gawd, he's such a rule hole." Awesome.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.