Re: My prayers go out to the Brayton family #22

racinrob wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Thanks to Scott Carr, we will have #22 stickers available for the teams at Houston this weekend. I need to coordinate final details with Scott, but I anticipate we will  have them available in our garages on Friday. Whatever we don't use this weekend we'll send with the HQ team for the next races.

I'm thinking maybe $10 each and we'll deposit the cash into the PayPal after the race? $20?

When I have done this in the past for other drivers I normally asked for at least $5.00 each, but donate more if you like.  I found that many people were willing to give more than the $5.00. 

Don't let this dissuade you from asking for more.  I was just passing on my experience.  Sadly, I have done this for too many drivers over the last several years.

We had Several $100 donations, More $20's than singles.  This is close to all of us and most people just emptied what they had on them.  One man didn't have cash, he pulled out his "emergency check" and gave $150.   

b

This space for rent.

kenb22 wrote:

I'd like to express my appreciation for the condolences and support for Sid and our family.  Sid was my younger brother.  We grew up around racing with an uncle and a cousin who raced super modifieds in both New England and Florida.  We always enjoyed the friendship of the racers and pit crews and Sid became very passionate about racing cars himself.  He raced late model stocks before they were anything like they are today and advanced to race late models that were closer to what you see today.  As he raised his family he stopped racing cars and motorcycles but always followed local and professional racing.  He was always busy with some sort of project and often thought of getting back into racing.  After his children graduated he went back to racing, participating in SCCA time trials and oval track racing.  The 24 Hours of Lemons series gave him the perfect opportunity to race with friends and within his budget.

I was at CMP last fall for the 24 Hours event and thoroughly enjoyed meeting his new team and competitors at the street show in Camden and at the track.  The team was improving the car's reliability and said that it really handled well.  It was a great weekend.  My job prevented me from getting to CMP this year but Sid was excited about the teams progress and the opportunity to race again.  I believe he was very happy right up to the point his heart stopped.  Although it is very painful to lose him so soon, I am comforted by knowing that he died doing what he loved to do and didn't suffer long in his passing.

I'm extremely grateful for the response from the 24 Hours community.  You are a great group of wonderful people.  As for retiring the number 22, I don't believe it is necessary.  Sid always raced the number 2 when he could if he owned the car, but he also ran a number 51 and 38 in New Hampshire and had different numbers on his enduro motorcycles.  I believe he would want you all to go on enjoying your lives to the fullest.

Thanks for sharing.  I was at CMP this weekend and it was a surreal experience.  While I didn't know Sid it would appear that while his life was too short it was well lived!  I can't remember who said " It's not about the number of years in your life but about the amount of life in your years"

I want to live or die trying.

Mulry wrote:

Thanks to Scott Carr, we will have #22 stickers available for the teams at Houston this weekend. I need to coordinate final details with Scott, but I anticipate we will  have them available in our garages on Friday. Whatever we don't use this weekend we'll send with the HQ team for the next races.

I'm thinking maybe $10 each and we'll deposit the cash into the PayPal after the race? $20?

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning on the way in regarding selling them as a fundraiser for the family.  I am also printing 12" stickers, as well as a few 24" (door number size) as we speak.  I received emails from several folks requesting numbers/stickers.  It would be most helpful if folks could let me know who needs them asap for this weekends race, or who is now taken care of by Scott.  If folks don't need them next day air, I will follow through with my original plan to send them to Lemons HQ

Winner Porsche Cup CMP Spring 09 (944), Winner class 2 CMP Spring 10 (Audi 100), Organizers Choice CMP Spring 10 (Merc S500), Grassroots Motorsports Most From the Least CMP spring 10 (audi 100), Overall Winner Capitol Offense 2010 (Merc S500), Winner on laps Capitol Offense 2011 (Merc S500), Organizers Choice Capitol Offense 12 (Mercillac).

DIPSTICK wrote:
Mulry wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning on the way in regarding selling them as a fundraiser for the family.  I am also printing 12" stickers, as well as a few 24" (door number size) as we speak.  I received emails from several folks requesting numbers/stickers.  It would be most helpful if folks could let me know who needs them asap for this weekends race, or who is now taken care of by Scott.  If folks don't need them next day air, I will follow through with my original plan to send them to Lemons HQ

Thank you again for doing this.  Let us know how to order them.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

DIPSTICK wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Sorry, was out of contact all morning. I think as far as this weekend goes, Scott has the 3x3 stickers taken care of. As far as I'm concerned, no need to overnight stuff to the track for us, but I can't speak for anybody else. Thanks for the thought, I hope this will be a good fundraiser for the family.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

81 (edited by dculberson 2013-09-24 11:09 AM)

Thank you very much to Sid's family and team mates posting in this forum, it's really great to hear from you guys.  I'm sorry for your loss but joyful to hear more about his life.  One of the hardest parts for me was feeling like I didn't know the man and now I know him more.

I was blown away by Jay's matching donation.  I think that was the highlight of a very up and down weekend.  Thank you Jay!!!

So many people have said that life is a roller coaster, but I wasn't expecting The Beast crossed with Top Thrill Dragster.  Is this what it's always like?  Damn.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I have been racing Lemons since 09 and this was my 1st race on the east coast.......I was in our pit, and saw the upside down car just after the dust settled while emergency services were en route......I thought it wasn't that bad, mostly since there wasn't any fire.....I kept asking everyone "is the driver out"...."does anyone see the driver"......  After several minutes when Jay announced the driver wasn't going to make it we were STUNNED.....speechless..... 

Shortly after the race was officially ended for the day NSF and a couple other teams started painting #22 on cars in Sid's honor....NSF also took donations for Sid's family....I was extremely pleased that $4500 was raised and even more impressed with Jay that he matched it!!!!! 

Jay and crew demonstrated incredible class & professionalism throughout the entire unfortunate incident......

RIP Sid......while I didn't know you, you will be missed and your number will always be on my Lemons car!!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I have the tribute stickers in my garage next to track out. Will probably have them at Checkin tomorrow if that's ok with Nick along with stanculpepper's donation bucket.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I have the tribute stickers in my garage next to track out. Will probably have them at Checkin tomorrow if that's ok with Nick along with stanculpepper's donation bucket.

Pat, if you are not going to make it to Road America, if you want, I can take up the collection reigns there for you.  Just let me know.

Bloomington, IN
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Update-

While it is common (and necessary) for the moment to pass... I wanted to share a few details from Sid's final activities as the sun sets on this event.

A couple of members of R R Racing trekked to New Hampshire from Atlanta for his funeral... about 1100 miles.
Yes, airplanes fly from Atlanta to Boston all the time... but the time spent on the road was part of the process.
CB radios chats between the 2 cars helped us pass the time as we remembered and shared memories.
Some of us knew Sid for 13 or so years... lots to think back on.

Hampton NH is a great seaside community- the weather is just starting to cool.
A nice breeze near the ocean... wait til the leaves turn soon.

The visitation was Thurs eve- a very civil and well-mannered process.
A Lemons patch was included in the presentation.

Friday's service included words from the family- all comments about racing included the idea of the happiness which it brought Sid.
Be it round-track, sports car stuff or Lemons... it was seen as a positive outlet for his mechanical energies.

A tradtiional procession to the cemetery included the roadside salutes from strangers as they honored the passing parade... always a nice touch.

The family and friends gathered afterward for the better part of the afternoon until there seemed little left to say-

...and then you move on as best you can.

I hear rumor that the Loudon race may have some sort of ceremony for Sid- members of his family are planning to attend.
Anything that comes to pass will be great, I'm sure.

The season will be over soon- the cool weather and the holidays will come and go.
Then 2014 will arrive and it starts all over again...

enjoy the heck out of it.

kolonelott wrote:

Yes, airplanes fly from Atlanta to Boston all the time... but the time spent on the road was part of the process.

That was strangely beautiful. Thanks. If I've learned anything from Lemons, it is that enjoying the process is every bit as important as the outcome, which is an important life lesson I try to carry with me. If I've learned anything else, it's that there are some truly amazing people in the world. Nothing washes away a month of cynicism like a day of Lemons.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

ICAustinMiniMan wrote:

Nothing washes away a month of cynicism like a day of Lemons.

My friend, you have just given me hope. Thank you.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

kolonelott, thank you so much for updating us, it really is great to hear.  Your post was strangely beautiful to me, too.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

kolonelott, thank you so much for updating us, it really is great to hear.  Your post was strangely beautiful to me, too.

Me too.  Thank you for updating us, hope the drive provided some clarity, I know long drives always do for me.

Bloomington, IN

Very cool to see all the #22 stickers out at MSR-H this weekend. RIP.