Re: Fuel Jug Tech

jrbe wrote:

Having the vent on the top (bottom when fueling) means the jug is sucking a vacuum to get air in.  Having a bigger hose will help get air in.  I'm sure if the vent was at the bottom it would dump faster but leaks and controlling it could be an issue.  I'd guess a loop like 555race did with the bulkhead going through the bottom looping up near the cap and back down to the bottom could help accidental vent valve open with it full leakage.  Id guess that way the vent hose could be about 1/4 the fuel dump hose size and not slow the fuel down at all.

Great thought on top vs. bottom vent.  I agree I think you might even have better flow control with a vent that fed air to the top cavity when inverted.  I just wasn't willing to drill out the bottom of the jugs.  Granted they only have fuel in them on race day and race day only, but just trying to eliminate that potential point of failure.

Now that said, I have tried to figure out how to take that vent bulkhead fitting and find one that would allow a hose to be attached on the inside and ran to the bottom (top when inverted).  I just haven't found the right fitting.  I'd be swapping them on my jugs if I could.  basically a bulkhead with a 90degree on one side in 3/4" flavor.  I can dream right....

Or see if any of your have the ninja google skills to come up with one.  woot woot!

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

What if you used something like this with elbows in both sides.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00835T89I/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fRzjPaEGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think the vent line would only need to be .5 down to maybe .25" I'D depending on dump hose size.

check out usplastic.com they have a lot of good stuff. Their site search isn't so great, I usually use a Google site: search to find stuff there.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

When you flip that dump can up on end to fuel that .75" vent is right next to your helmet.  You can hear the jug sucking air as fast as it can.  Its painfully obvious that the vent line is the single most limiting factor on what comes out the fill end.  If you went smaller it would just slow down the fill, same as if you were to halfway close the ball valve.  You can almost completely shut down the flow when you cut that valve closed, the whole jug feels like its going to implode as the vacuum hits.   

Northwet, yeah if you could just figure out how to install and tighten the side that's inside the jug.  Kinda like building a ship in a bottle.

Oh, yeah forgot about that...

the opening is fairly large on these jugs, shouldn't be too hard to get a hand and wrench inside to tighten things up?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

the opening is fairly large on these jugs, shouldn't be too hard to get a hand and wrench inside to tighten things up?

None of us could get a hand into the top of the jug, much less an arm to the bottom.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

jrbe wrote:

Having the vent on the top (bottom when fueling) means the jug is sucking a vacuum to get air in.  Having a bigger hose will help get air in.  I'm sure if the vent was at the bottom it would dump faster but leaks and controlling it could be an issue.  I'd guess a loop like 555race did with the bulkhead going through the bottom looping up near the cap and back down to the bottom could help accidental vent valve open with it full leakage.  Id guess that way the vent hose could be about 1/4 the fuel dump hose size and not slow the fuel down at all.

On this subject, the ball valve on the 555 guys jugs is what makes it work. The vacuum of the jug being upright and then opening the valve creates pulls whatever fuel that is in the elbow and line out right away, otherwise it is just a P trap and you arent pulling more air than you were before. We tried it, that's what happened. In fact, a smaller line cleared the P trap quicker and flow faster, again without the ball valve.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

TheEngineer wrote:

Unfortunately, we were fresh out of child labor to exploit.

555race wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Unfortunately, we were fresh out of child labor to exploit.

fair enough. I was just trying to envision the opening in my head. I'll go look at mine when I get home and see if i just have small hands, or a poor recollection of the opening.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

I was just trying to envision the opening in my head.

Read differently, that last line presents quite a metaphysical conundrum.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

You can get bulkhead fittings with an internal hex or flat spots on the outside to hold while tightening. You still have to fish it into the hole though.

dculberson wrote:

555race, heck of a good write-up.  I came up with my own slightly different mods to the same jug but the end result is the same.  Except I was lazy so didn't put the cap or ball valve on them, just made sure they were empty before loading them up after the race.  I like your design better.

Parkwod60 wrote:

How much is your time worth? Mine is between $25-50 an hour. These jugs are $72 each

You get paid to work on your own projects in your garage at home?  I sure don't!

No. But I have many project to work on (including some my wife insists on) and any hour I'm doing 1 project is an hour I can't do another.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Of course, you could always try to get away with these. Basically they are the Hunsakers, but made of aluminum

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5079312-richard … allon.html

http://pitstopusa.com/images/M14609128.jpg

They meet NASCAR safety rules, so why not?

Parkwod60 wrote:

Of course, you could always try to get away with these. Basically they are the Hunsakers, but made of aluminum

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5079312-richard … allon.html

http://pitstopusa.com/images/M14609128.jpg

They meet NASCAR safety rules, so why not?

Oh wow, I really like those!!!!  Then no worries, just tig the valve on you want and add a hose.
Only downside I see if keeping them covered or hidden from the sun on a hot day at the track.  I bet they sell covers that fit them as well for that problem. 

Sweet!

555race wrote:
Troy wrote:

Jay RARELY posts on the forum and he specifically said NO MODIFIED JUGS!

Secondly, you can get a 3/4 MPT x 1" hose bib for the lid. No need to drill the lid to run 1" ID hose.

Lowes Part # 54142
3/4"x1" Adapter MIPTXINSRT       
$0.92

CARB complaint gas cans SUCK!!!!!!!

We're both in Houston, please send me a message and we can compare utility jugs.

HA LOL,  I originally built my 1st 5 jugs using that type of barb screwed into the cap.  Within the 1st year all but 1 had cracked out the top of the cap and they leaked when filling.  Hence my solution of using the marine "Thru-hull" fitting to get the flange so the leverage of the hose/fill does not crack out the cap.  Luckily Speedway also sells replacement caps. 

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

I hope I'm not overstating the obvious but..

Per the rules:

3.32: Fueling: All fueling must be done from handheld DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved 5-gallon or smaller jugs or from the track's permanent pumps.

Once you modify a fuel jug it is no longer approved.

Funny I have only seen DOT & EPA approved.  Those are made by Blitz. 
The jugs posted above as well as Hunsakers are not DOT, SCCA, or FIA approved from anywhere I can find. 

Even speedway has this disclaimer on all but one of their "jugs"
Note: These utility jugs are not designed or intended to contain fuel. Your use of utility jugs as fuel containers may violate the law of your state. Please check your own state law for the legal requirements pertaining to the use of these

Baron wrote:

Now all of our jugs will dump in around 17ish seconds.

Thats about where we are at, not like that speed really speeds up our pit stops.  It just helps us not be dumping fuel as long with fogged up visors where you cant see WTF you are doing....especially in the dark at these full 24's with 99% humidity.

Sorry to make an obvious point but your comparing apples to oranges just because the hunsaker doesn't mention it is DOT or SCCA approved they are still not modifying their jugs and you are. Your trying to discredit the other jugs as illegal so you can run your modifyied ones, If I saw you bringing these to the track and we were battling it out for a win I would cry foul, just my  $.02  I'm all for making fueling safer but shouldn't you be sending this to Jay for approval before just posting it on the forum like this?

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

One thing is for sure if any of the modifications call safety into question you will find yourself not able to use them.

I would recommend bringing a couple of "stock" jugs just in case the winds of the judiciary blow upon you.

steve wrote:

Sorry to make an obvious point but your comparing apples to oranges just because the hunsaker doesn't mention it is DOT or SCCA approved they are still not modifying their jugs and you are. Your trying to discredit the other jugs as illegal so you can run your modifyied ones, If I saw you bringing these to the track and we were battling it out for a win I would cry foul, just my  $.02  I'm all for making fueling safer but shouldn't you be sending this to Jay for approval before just posting it on the forum like this?

Whoa who highjacked my login and posted all that good tech for bad!  Or maybe thats my plan get everyone to do this so our team can protest all the other teams and win all the riches and accolades??? 

I love the Hunsakers, they are just twice the cost, and still require being MODIFIED to work.  Maybe not to the extent of these jugs but adding a filler hose is a modification from how it came from the factory and went across the counter in a sale.  But lets put that aside, thats not the problem, please go back and read the rule (I'll paste it below), and you will understand the issue.

3.32: Fueling: All fueling must be done from handheld DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved 5-gallon or smaller jugs or from the track's permanent pumps.

-Not even a whiff of the word or intent of "UNMODIFIED" is in that rule.
-If your argument is I have modified a  DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved jug.  I have not, the Jugs in this tech and including the Hunsakers are not  DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved.

So does that make all or nearly all Lemons teams violating the fueling rule with their illegal jugs? 

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

One thing is for sure if any of the modifications call safety into question you will find yourself not able to use them.

I would recommend bringing a couple of "stock" jugs just in case the winds of the judiciary blow upon you.

Wise words, we are a SAFETY 1st team.  Our FUELER even wears an SFI fueling apron so even if he does get a splash it does not soak into his firesuit. 
I did the tech and started this topic because of all of the UNSAFE fueling witnessed at Lemons events.  Downright scary.   Then when we found out that the West Coast races everyone fuels in their paddock our minds were blown!

Not trying to fan flames but saying there is no mention of modified jugs in the rules even though Jay says every time it's brought up no fuel jug modifications is paving the way to a ridiculously thick rule book. I don't want that and I don't think the rest of the teams who race Lemons want that.

steve wrote:

I'm all for making fueling safer but shouldn't you be sending this to Jay for approval before just posting it on the forum like this?

This topic has been covered many times (search), I did not start this TECH for interpretations of the rules debate, you have opened that door.  I don't think that belongs here as neither you, me or 99.9% of anyone on this forum makes the rules or enforces them.   
I take great offense to your commentary that we are cheating and you would blow a whistle on us as such.  You have a different interpretation, so be it, but a problem exists and I have taken the time and effort to show a solution to the problem.  You on the other hand have been a commercial for Hunsaker and bad mouthed me.  Bravo, you have eliminated someone from the chances of being friends/allies/come to your aid at a race with that one tool you forgot to bring.  Be a problem solver.

But back to your question I pulled aside above: I'm not sure what I would need Jays approval for, he has seen our jugs at 5 of the 6 events we've done with them as we have always pitted with in a beer toss of TECH/BS/Penalty Box.  Hard to miss when they roll back and forth next to the Penalty box 20 times in a weekend.  As well as this hasn't been an issue for any other teams running similar setups. 

For everyone else, I hope the tech helps a few of you and stops you from wasting time recreating the wheel. 

Good luck at the track.

555race wrote:
steve wrote:

Whoa who highjacked my login and posted all that good tech for bad!  Or maybe thats my plan get everyone to do this so our team can protest all the other teams and win all the riches and accolades??? 

I love the Hunsakers, they are just twice the cost, and still require being MODIFIED to work.  Maybe not to the extent of these jugs but adding a filler hose is a modification from how it came from the factory and went across the counter in a sale.  But lets put that aside, thats not the problem, please go back and read the rule (I'll paste it below), and you will understand the issue.

-Not even a whiff of the word or intent of "UNMODIFIED" is in that rule.
-If your argument is I have modified a  DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved jug.  I have not, the Jugs in this tech and including the Hunsakers are not  DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved.

So does that make all or nearly all Lemons teams violating the fueling rule with their illegal jugs? 

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

Wise words, we are a SAFETY 1st team.  Our FUELER even wears an SFI fueling apron so even if he does get a splash it does not soak into his firesuit. 
I did the tech and started this topic because of all of the UNSAFE fueling witnessed at Lemons events.  Downright scary.   Then when we found out that the West Coast races everyone fuels in their paddock our minds were blown!

I can see your intent that if it doesnt say you can't than that means you can and I didn't see anything specific in the rules like you said I just know it was mentioned at a race at CMP but here is Jays comment from a previous post which is probably where I saw it on here  :  The next guy who yaps off about his brilliant fueling workaround scheme, no doubt guaranteed to save .3 seconds per stop, will be docked 50 laps. With that in mind, I might suggest it'd be much faster just to bring 5-gallon cans, not dick around with them , and get on with your life, already."   (Not my words) but hey it's all legal until you get caught right?  smile

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

And yet another one : From Jay
"The purpose of the rule is to have people use 5-gallon (or smaller) fuel jugs. If it's 5 gallons or smaller, and it was made in a real factory by a real business, and it's sold to real people at real stores for the express purpose of carrying real fuel, it's OK. It's a 5-gallon goddamn fuel jug: You don't need to be Supreme Court Judge Potter Steward to know it when you see it.

"If it's an old cider jug, then it's not frickin' OK. If you add a pump, or a siphon, or put it on a rack, or do anything else that you think is incredibly clever, it's not OK. We want you pouring your fuel into your fuel tank from 5-gallon fuel jugs that you lifted by hand. Please get on with your life now."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man these are all over this forum.

Our jugs vent at the bottom. After doing a lot of testing this was the one thing that dropped out dump times, by half.

But I don't like them. They just look too fragile, plus, plastic jugs will create static electricity problems. Maybe foil tape and minimize this problem, but an affordable metal can would be much better.

Jay has seen our jugs upclose and personal, and did not comment, take that for what you will that's what we did.  He did ask if we needed a hand on the fire extinguisher as we were getting ready to transfer from a tank to the jugs.  We did not.   

Maybe I should go file a patent on the vent design now so its all "professional".    LOL

Just an FYI for newbies, you can take a normal DOT/CARB approved 5 gallon jug with the press to pour spout on it, cut the spring loaded safety off and drill a 1/2" hole in it and get a jug that dumps just about as fast as one of these and still looks like a normal jug. Buy yourself a handful of 1/2" diameter by 1" long lag bolts from Home Depot to plug the vent when you are transporting the jugs.

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/Containment/enviroflo/80033%205%20Gal%20Enviro-FloGas.jpg

Drill your vent on the top behind the handle. I think with a 1/2 inch hole I timed it dumping 5 gallons (of water) in about 15 seconds.