Topic: Super K Basketcase: Needed Repairs and Poorly Considered Advice

Post NHMS / Pre Road America / Sonoma working discussion on making this safe and fun to run.

I've asked a few prior K owners to subscribe and give some thoughts on the current state of affairs and to brainstorm on solutions.  The guys running Road America probably will have a day or two to deal with fixes before it gets sent to Colorado (pre-stage for Sonoma).

Brakes/tires:
When they are pushed to locking and you release the pedal they stay locked for half a second.  At a minimum this is killing the tires.  This is only on the fronts. 
Everything looks okay - though the passenger-side floating caliper is very floaty,,, you can easily move it by hand.  This could be a non-issue or an unrelated future issue as the driver side locks too and everything looks factory on that side. 
It's possible the caliper piston(s) and/or o-rings are slightly damaged OR there could be a problem with the master cylinder (wonky piston seal?) 
Rotor and pad wear normally and appear good to race at RA.

Throttle-stabbing leads to sputtering and stall out:
When you roll smoothly onto the throttle the car runs fine.  Stab it and it sputters and wants to stall out.  On very infrequent occasions it runs pretty well. 
All recent parties generally agree that under these conditions the timing is not advancing and/or it is getting too much fuel to process. 
The MAP sensor is new. 
The Throttle Position Sensor appears to be working (a NIB one is with the spares and didn't change anything) and the two hot TPS wires are getting/putting out voltage, so the ECU (which dictates advance) is getting signal. 
We pieced together a distributor unit from all the best bits of the three we had on hand.  No change. 
We searched for cracked vacuum lines, tried alternative vacuum line routings as well.  No change.
We notice that the fuel pressure fluctuates pretty wildly when you stab it vs rolling on.  It sits at ~40 psi at idle.  A smooth roll on takes it to 42-43 psi where it sits and where we understand it is normally supposed to be.  Stab the throttle and the fuel PSI jumps to 50 psi starts bogging.  We think a possible solution is to put a new inline regulator just before the gauge (top of engine) and dial in the max to 43-44 psi.

Front suspension / motor mounts / strut nuts (top and bottom) / spindle nuts:
All of these components consistently loosen up between Day 1 and Day 2 and to some degree between transit points.  Check 'em before each racing session unless someone decides to Lock-Tite them all, but I'd still check 'em. 
The spindle nuts need some big washers (to push the nut out towards the cotter pin hole) and the nuts probably need to be changed to castle nuts w/ a proper locking castle nut cap.

This car has to remain road legal:
You smash it = you fix it.  It needs working headlights, parking lights, turn signals, exhaust that exits the perimeter of the car behind the driver, and a windshield + one working windshield wiper.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Re: Super K Basketcase: Needed Repairs and Poorly Considered Advice

Before anyone chimes in on the throttle-stab issue - please hold off.  Steve McD / LeMonster may have found the solution.

'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Chaffing wire brought down the F-16 but somehow Super K lives on!

This space for rent.

DC Doug wrote:

I've asked a few prior K owners to subscribe and give some thoughts on the current state of affairs and to brainstorm on solutions.  The guys running Road America probably will have a day or two to deal with fixes before it gets sent to Colorado (pre-stage for Sonoma).

Doug,

Not the thread for this I know - but is he plan still for me to get the Super-K from Cheeseland to Sonoma via Denver?  Not sure there are other plan brewing...

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"

autoxmike wrote:
DC Doug wrote:

Doug,

Not the thread for this I know - but is he plan still for me to get the Super-K from Cheeseland to Sonoma via Denver?  Not sure there are other plan brewing...

I believe this still is the plan. It sounded like Anton was going to join you, but that might just be the Denver to Sonoma bit now.

A new master cylinder should be coming in tomorrow, I'll see if I can also get some calipers before I leave. And I could probably find/make some big washers.

Also, will there be enough room in this thing for a spare motor? I really have no other plans for it and don't feel like taking it back with me.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Yes, it needs to get to Colorado and then Sonoma.  Judge Phil, Anton, Mike and Sofie will be duking it out for transit rights.

There's room for a spare motor.  You would need to put some stuff in the passenger seat area, but it's totally doable.

I can't help you much on the suspension or brakes,  our setup is cheatastically different.

I can help you with that Mitsubishi motor though. I know that motor pretty well inside and out.  I've got a box full of spare external motor parts (sensors,  distributor,  throttle body,  etc.)  Feel free to drop by our trailer if you need anything.

I've also got all the wiring diagrams for this engine printed up and keep them in the trailer as well.  This really helped us trouble shoot some electrical issues we had back in April at Gingerman.

So feel free to drop by the  #92 Sundance.  I can even help you run a timing light on that car as well.

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

I can't help you much on the suspension or brakes,  our setup is cheatastically different.

I can help you with that Mitsubishi motor though. I know that motor pretty well inside and out.  I've got a box full of spare external motor parts (sensors,  distributor,  throttle body,  etc.)  Feel free to drop by our trailer if you need anything.

I've also got all the wiring diagrams for this engine printed up and keep them in the trailer as well.  This really helped us trouble shoot some electrical issues we had back in April at Gingerman.

So feel free to drop by the  #92 Sundance.  I can even help you run a timing light on that car as well.

Steve McD, Maverick74 and Anton... got that?

DC Doug wrote:
Bayley wrote:

Steve McD, Maverick74 and Anton... got that?

Yep, bug the Unified Partnership of Pentastar guys when stuff goes wrong.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

It's sounding as though Steve/LeMonster has made the throttle-stab problem go away.  At this point it may just be maintenance, careful driving and dumb luck.

Maverick, you may have just hit the Lotto.

DC Doug wrote:

It's sounding as though Steve/LeMonster has made the throttle-stab problem go away.  At this point it may just be maintenance, careful driving and dumb luck.

Maverick, you may have just hit the Lotto.

Not like RA has long straights or anything... C'mon Doug- are you gonna spill what LeMonster figured out?

-Anton

Volvo PV544 (RIP) - now with Chevy 3.9 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

I have a sense of it, but Steve is writing up a general update on K Life since Florida.  Suppose all the details will be revealed if it's true.

One of the distributors  was $150 new  I put in and the coil.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

on the brake issue, has anyone looked at the condition of the rubber line that goes from hardline to caliper? had a similar issue on an old mg midget,  the line got old and weak, and once used it would almost shut off, and then slowly get its shape back and let fluid come back out.

Your Miata Parts Pimp

If I ever get my hands on this car, it's getting a 318, a 904, and a stick axle in the back, like it should have had originally.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:

If I ever get my hands on this car, it's getting a 318, a 904, and a stick axle in the back, like it should have had originally.

M-it-Forward 2014!

Jay has already outlawed RWD conversions on the K-car.

Judge Phil wrote:

Why?

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Why?

Because, I'm assuming, any team that would want to race the K-car is also the kind of team that would do a super-hoopty hack job involving zip-ties for suspension mounts and so forth. I suppose if someone that Jay trusts to do the swap correctly offered to do it and provided lots of documentation of how the fabrication would work, he might OK the idea.

Keep in mind that, after something like 12 races, the K has yet to pass the tech inspection on the first attempt. That does not inspire confidence about a RWD conversion.

Shit, that means I might actually get to race this weekend. Better pack my suit and all.

K Car Stalker

It's so satisfying to know that Super K has all the bugs worked out and the forecast is DOMINATION in Wisconsin.

"Domination in  Wisconsin"

That has a ring to it. 

Lucky 13

This space for rent.

'Domination in Wisconstinaton!"

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

Beer, Cheese, and Domination!!!!1!!

-jt
Unionized Physicist
Tetanus Racing
1986 Porsche 944, #986

K now has a FB page  of its own.  "K Car Fan Page".  It doesn't work very well either.

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

Can you please tell me what year this car is?  PS, secret weapons are in, lets just hope everything is nitto in wisconsin this weekend.  PSS pray for snow, and the k  will dominate!  PSSS, I hope the bolts are 12x1.5, the hubs are stock right?