Re: So, we went the way of the devil and got an e30, but also 49 dodge pu

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/CTMTT_mater1.jpg

just another idea....mater has his own movie short with half a dozen other trucks that he was at different points.

Stickers? Troll face masks? You are going to have to do better than that. This is the popper way to turn a meme into a sweet Lemons BMW theme.

https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/67817_10151572148544495_76393024_n.jpg

http://youtu.be/vE3P30paYsk?t=3m10s

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Yep! If ya just got to do a E30, topping this should be required.
Put an entire E 30 under the dodge tinwork......totally awesome. CMON! GLORY CAN BE YOURS!!!1!!!

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

Well, I was out fiddling with the truck for a couple hours today, and realizing I have no idea how anything works on a truck of this vintage, so naturally it's full steam ahead, first thing I had to figure out, is how to crank over the truck....took me 45 minutes to figure out the button that I thought was the gas pedal, actually pushes a button on the starter that makes it crank.....so that's odd.  Hooked up my auxiliary tank to the carburetor, and cranked it over, to no avail, hot wired the ignition coil, still no go......I checked the cap and rotor and they were in decent shape, so I think I need spark plug wires before the old dodge will run.  Also, does anybody here know how the oil system works on these trucks?  There is a large can on the side of the motor that is filled with oil, found that out because it started spurting oil out the lid while I was cranking it over.  So new gasket in order there.

Hey oil pump works! Ask for a oil filter for that truck. It'll come with the gasket. Install new oil filter in there too....
Don't forget to clean and gap the points.

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

1st make sure there is power getting to the coil (sounds like you did that). 2nd make sure other side of coil is connected to points/condenser (you did hot wire the correct side of the coil, right?) 3rd make sure when the points are closed there is continuity from one side to the other. Dirt or rust will easily screw that up. 4th make sure there is no continuity when they are opened. 5th replace the condenser.

I sorta forget how few people know the stuff I take for granted. Points. Carburetors and how to set em right.  Sigh. Feel free to ask about this old stuff....

33 (edited by wizard0ne0 2014-01-22 09:35 AM)

All of the old cars I have owned I converted to hei.....because I drive my cars.  I am not used to  a 6 volt negative ground system with points.  I am hotwiring a 12 volt coil out of a dart and running a wire straight to the starter and ground.  I am planning on buying a spool of spark plug wire and ends because....these rubber is literally falling off of the current ones.  This weekend I shall make attempt #2.  Carburators I understand.  Cap and rotor for this truck are actually really cheap, so those will also be new.

edit:  We finally decided on a theme of sorts, we are going to be Grumpy Cats Racing Supply on one half and Lemons Racing supply on the other, planning on loading up the bed with tons of spare parts, hoses, misc belts, brake fittings, couple radiators, couple carburaters, fuel line, spark plugs, spark plug wire, etc, etc.  The Bmw is going to be a spec bmw parody, think tire warmers, corner scales, and every possible sticker that we can find/make.  May have the dreaded M stripe.  Be odd that a Index off Effluency car is the one to bring all the spares

Oh yes. Get that old iron out there and running.
I brought my Model TT truck to the track as a pit vehicle. Was very cool.

You can run a 6 volt coil in a 12 volt car, but I don't think a 12 volt coil will put out much spark at 6 volts. Are you using a 12 volt battery to try to start it?

I don't know about HEI, but Petronix makes a pretty simple hall effect system for that truck http://www.summitracing.com/search/prod … odel/truck

I am using 12 volts to try to start the truck, checked prices today for cap, rotor, condenser, points, spark plugs, and 12 volt coil.  Total:little under 70$  Then I found out I could buy a 100 ft 8.8 mm msd cable for under 40$  So that is going in both the truck and the bmw.  Also once the race is getting closer I am going to start taking donated parts to haul out to Utah with us for other teams.  Have not decided if I will charge people for parts at the track or not, If I do, I may force people to pay in nickles, or some inane trade of some kind.

Interestingly, I found it astoundingly easy to swap a chevy 6 HEI into a AMC 6 with little fuss. Was actually so easy I couldn't believe it. No idea on one of those 230 6 cylinders....last one I had was in a M37 military truck. Was all still 24 V That truck would start when it was 10 below out. Every time without fail. used it move firewood
around the place....was kinda fun...

I was planning on running this old flathead for at least this race, maybe swap to a slant 6 or a 318/360 in the future, definitly planning on making something that lets me have disck brakes all around, have a ford 8.8 limited slip that I pulled from a junkyard that has discs on it, 100$ is what I paid for it.  need to pull the front end apart and try to fab up something to let me put discs up front as well.  Also not sure what gearing is in the current axle vs the 3.83 in the 8.8.

Well, me being a dumb-ass kid can't figure out the wiring on this bloody old dodge, any old dodge guru's out there that are experts on converting the old 6 volt positive ground to a 12 volt negative ground?  I think some hands on help would be wonderful, and I could offer a 6 pack for the work/information.......Commerce City Colorado.  Hell if you want another Lemons car even there are a few candidates at the same shop.

Did you get it running yet? I'd just hook it up 12v positive ground for now, until you run into some issue with something that can't be hooked up that way.

41 (edited by OnkelUdo 2014-01-25 12:02 PM)

Parkwod60 wrote:

Did you get it running yet? I'd just hook it up 12v positive ground for now, until you run into some issue with something that can't be hooked up that way.

If you do this, and I am not suggesting that you do, you are about guaranteed to have issues with the starter.  Unlike AC, DC voltage actually is directional so you only have about three possibilities: turns the wrong way, burns stuff up, or does absolutely nothing?

Edit:  Doh, you said positive ground...my bad.

I have tried the 12 volts hooked up both ways, and the starter turns the correct way in both cases(little confused on that)  I am having trouble with the ignition system, also where is the off button on these trucks?  I now know where the starter is, but don't know where the ignition switch is/where it is supposed to be.

Something about starter motors will cause them to go the same way regardless of polarity. Model T ones and others  like MGs and stuff all go the right way. regardless. I don't know why. they just do. Wire it for negative ground. When you wire a switch to the ignition coil, wire that to the + side. The - side to the distributor.
Even if it was originally positive earth swap it over so any modern accessories you add will work without isolators to make it all work. On the - side of the coil take a test light and with the + side powered, crank the engine. The test light should blink as the points open and close. If not, clean or replace the points and condensor I'm seeing more condensors failing as these age...otherwise I used to never replace them until failure. Who knew they wouldnt last forever? The basic Idea is that you need them open just a certain amount and then closed for a split second and back open. Try about .016 for starters. No feeler gauge? A business card is usually too thick at .020. But a state of Colorado registration is about .005. Fold for 3 layers and well...it worked for me....I'll look up the actual specs for this beasty tonight...

44 (edited by wizard0ne0 2014-01-26 09:12 PM)

Well, the old dodge now runs, after I tested the coil(bad) and just wired up the new 12 volt coil(woot no resistor needed) to a toggle switch, new battery cables, a set of points and she fired up with some difficulty, probably wires/cap/rotor and she will run ok, then try to find a carb kit for it......but I have heard it run!  All systems go, lets go racing! 

So overall progress made:
Now has a safe way to turn ignition on and off from the cab,
now has battery cables/ends
Now has a functional Ignition coil
Now has power going to the points(not sure where that wire originally disappeared to...)

Still need to do:
Radiator Hoses
Coolant
Rebuild carburetor
replace fuel pump
Spark plugs
plug wires
cap
rotor
tires
change oil+filter
figure out what is going on with the brakes......
seats
harnesses
roll cage
electrical cutoff
fire extinguisher
tow hooks

Another question!!  This old truck has drum brakes all around, and I have a ford 8.8 diff with disc brakes on it in my garage.  If I put the axle under the dodge then does it count against my budget? or does it fall under safety related because of the drum to disc conversion?

wizard0ne0 wrote:

Well, the old dodge now runs, after I tested the coil(bad) and just wired up the new 12 volt coil(woot no resistor needed) to a toggle switch, new battery cables, a set of points and she fired up with some difficulty, probably wires/cap/rotor and she will run ok, then try to find a carb kit for it......but I have heard it run!  All systems go, lets go racing! 

So overall progress made:
Now has a safe way to turn ignition on and off from the cab,
now has battery cables/ends
Now has a functional Ignition coil
Now has power going to the points(not sure where that wire originally disappeared to...)

Still need to do:
Radiator Hoses
Coolant
Rebuild carburetor
replace fuel pump
Spark plugs
plug wires
cap
rotor
tires
change oil+filter
figure out what is going on with the brakes......
seats
harnesses
roll cage
electrical cutoff
fire extinguisher
tow hooks

Another question!!  This old truck has drum brakes all around, and I have a ford 8.8 diff with disc brakes on it in my garage.  If I put the axle under the dodge then does it count against my budget? or does it fall under safety related because of the drum to disc conversion?

Email Judge Phil, he will probably tell you something like "I won't account for nickles on this thing unless it has an LSX swap - etc"

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

I don't care if you put the 8.8 rear on the truck, but then you're going to need to find some way to get front discs on the thing. Rear discs/front drums is a combo that probably leads to, uh, interesting braking characteristics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-B-1-2-ton … 5af62adfd5    Huzzah!  A simple straightforward way!  huh...that's not very Lemons like...we need to add some sort of beer-can related fix to this....

wizard0ne0 wrote:

Well, the old dodge now runs, after I tested the coil(bad) and just wired up the new 12 volt coil(woot no resistor needed) to a toggle switch, new battery cables, a set of points and she fired up with some difficulty, probably wires/cap/rotor and she will run ok, then try to find a carb kit for it..

Pretty sure I have several NOS carb kits for that vintage carter 1bbl. If you can't find one locally, I'll send you one for the cost of postage and a future root beer at a racetrack to be named.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:
wizard0ne0 wrote:

Well, the old dodge now runs, after I tested the coil(bad) and just wired up the new 12 volt coil(woot no resistor needed) to a toggle switch, new battery cables, a set of points and she fired up with some difficulty, probably wires/cap/rotor and she will run ok, then try to find a carb kit for it..

Pretty sure I have several NOS carb kits for that vintage carter 1bbl. If you can't find one locally, I'll send you one for the cost of postage and a future root beer at a racetrack to be named.

Done, and we are planning on running in Toole, Utah in May, as well as if they have any races in Colorado this year.  You have any preference on what kind of root beer, I always enjoy Henry Weinhards.

Judge Phil wrote:

I don't care if you put the 8.8 rear on the truck, but then you're going to need to find some way to get front discs on the thing. Rear discs/front drums is a combo that probably leads to, uh, interesting braking characteristics.

The Judge has Spoken!  As amusing as the braking  "characteristics" would be, it probably would not be......ummm....predictable?