Re: So, we went the way of the devil and got an e30, but also 49 dodge pu

wizard0ne0 wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-B-1-2-ton … 5af62adfd5    Huzzah!  A simple straightforward way!  huh...that's not very Lemons like...we need to add some sort of beer-can related fix to this....

I used this company for the disk conversion on my Rambler. They work good, but the instructions on which part #'s you needed to buy were kind of outdated. We had to call Napa and ask them for calipers from an early 90's celebrity, brake hoses from a 79-81 Camaro, rotors from an early 2000's previa, I emailed their tech support before buying and never heard back. But once I bought them they responded very timely.

The master cylinder model they suggested would not bolt to the firewall and had to be modified by elongating the mounting holes.

We also had to have our hubs machined as the rotors would not fit on properly. But the cost was minimal and this is in the instructions when you get them.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

I was simply AMAZED how good a old straight axle truck can handle when CadillacBob gave me a ride up Boulder canyon years ago in a 49 International KB2. Had 365 Cad power swapped in. Was AWESOME! I cant wait to see the Dodge at Miller.

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

I was assuming that this truck would never corner, more just turn.....I have heard of people putting the solid front axle in a huge press to add some negative camber.  Although this old truck doesn't have the lowest center of gravity either.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/07-Jeep_Cherokees_24_Hours_of_LeMons-626x426.jpg

The Petty Cash Jeep Cherokee has a solid front axle and handles pretty well.

Does your coil have a built in resistor? If not you will need some kind of ballast resistor in their so you don't wear out the points too quickly.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

There is a place in Oklahoma called Nostalgia Sids that will do a 3" drop on it and straighten or align as needed. And yeah, All the heavy stuff is down low in one of those trucks. It'll probably do a lot better than you think.

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

The coil said that there was no resistor needed, so I am not sure about how the points are going to hold up, but they are easy to replace and only 6$ a pop.  I will see how it turns once I get it driving(needs brakes, tires, fuel pump)

I'd say you are set then. Other lowering trick you can sometimes do on old straight axle trucks is to get the axle on the other side of the springs.
This can take some fab work to get done so it doesn't leave unexpectedly. But not so bad. Will usually lower one like 4 inches. Also big sway bars off of 3/4 ton (modern) trucks can usually be adapted pretty easy. It'll come together....just takes a little time....

59 (edited by wizard0ne0 2014-01-29 09:02 PM)

Well, put new spark plugs/cap/wires on the old truck, and now it is running very well actually,starts super easy and doesn't even smoke(weird)  I do have oil pressure, (around 25-30psi, not sure what it is supposed to be)  Also just remembered that my mom bought a bed-trailer 15 years ago that happens to be a 48 dodge, so now I can tow a trailer out to the race track lol.  Downside is, I found out that I have a couple teeth missing on the flywheel, so the starter doesn't always engage, but hey that is what a hand crank starter is for right?(only partially joking, the solution is to turn the motor over by hand a little and then use the starter)  Now next project, radiator hoses, gas pedal, brakes, tires, drive.

Good job gettin it running! 10 psi oil pressure hot at idle is good enough. Should have 30-40 at speed. Kinda good rule-of-thumb is 10 psi per 1k rpm.
Since this motor should be kept around 3600 max id say you are good enough. What trans are you running? 3 or 4 speed? The 3 speeds were a lot closer ratios. but have no synchro on first. The 4 speeds have about a 7-1 first gear second is ~ 3.5 or so neither are synchro. Only 3rd and 4th are. Sneaky tech tip: although hard to find, a passenger car 3 speed with overdrive has way better ratios and while still not synchroed on first, you can use it as a 4 speed with the overdrive controlled manually. IE:  take off in first. Once rolling in second run out second gear then hit OD.....when 2nd OD is revved out hit 3rd no OD and ultimately 3rd OD. Technically, you can use first with the OD too and have 6 speeds but I suspect you wont be going THAT slow.

Oh, and that roll of fencing in the back needs to be part of the theme. Is awesome.

wizard0ne0 wrote:

Downside is, I found out that I have a couple teeth missing on the flywheel, so the starter doesn't always engage, but hey that is what a hand crank starter is for right?(only partially joking, the solution is to turn the motor over by hand a little and then use the starter)

I had a Baja bug that needed a new starter.  Got one from Midnite Auto Supply and asked very very carefully for a 6V starter.  Short story is that it had a 12V gear and started grinding the 6V flywheel down.

It would stall at the worst times, and I'd have to stick it in 3rd, push it backwards, then jump back in and crank again.  Oh, this did not go over well in rush hour traffic.

Ex-USAF civilian, still a wench

Oh yah. I had the solenoid in my Cummins powered Jeep truck that would do the click- click - click- click- click-start  each time you tried to start it.....took it apart and cleaned the internal  (Infernal) contacts and it worked!  For a whole week! Till I went to my parents house......back to click- click-click- click-click-start. Dad shaking his head dissaprovingly.....has worked perfectly since....WTF!

64 (edited by wizard0ne0 2014-01-31 01:33 AM)

Lol, this motor is old enough, and desiigned so that is can be cranked over by hand, there is a hold in the grill that is specifically lined up with the...crap, brain fart, the thingy that connects to the crankshaft that turns the belts, it lines up with the bolt. (harmonic balancer?)  ahwell, I am out of town for the weekend, but the weekend after that is going to be dedicated in trying to get this thing to drive and stay cool.  so radiator hoses, tires, brakes, coolant, oil change, accelerator pump is not functioning, oh alternator can't forget that.  Once I get it driving then I can see how much more work I need to do with suspension and brakes.  And I am tempted to stage a crash through the fence during BS Inspection.

Edit: I was looking through old posts and noticed SeldomSeen that you seem to be pretty familiar with these 8.8 axles....you don't happen to have a couple spare e-brake cables for one do you?  as well as the parking brake shoes.  (junkyard axle out of an explorer, unknown history, but it is a ls 3.83.

I don't right now. But the stuff is pretty common in the pull n pay yards. I do a lot of axle work mostly for Jeep stuff. But have done pretty much everything at some point...

Well, I would be more than willing to trade some frosty beverages for advice/help once I start on the axle swap then!  I live in Arvada, and work in Commerce City.(where the truck is)

Awesome! Grew up in Arvada.  My brother lives in commerce city. Used to live there too...only I always called it Combat City....since the city council was always fightin about somethin or another....

Yeah, having a auto repair shop/junkyard in commerce city(I work out of the shop, don't own it)  We are more than familiar with City councel giving us hell about non-op vehicles and whatnot.  Which is really funny because the shop was originally a Commerce City impound lot.

They sure were awful strange.....a "weed" is anything growing higher than 6". I'd get hassled about my lawn gettin shaggy... Ya drive down Quebec, and they got all this designer Pamaps grass growing 5-8 ft high.. It looks like any other grass all gone to seed...just way bigger..go figure. Strangely, they never bothered me about the 20 or so non op vehicles I had there till it spilled out onto the street.... Even then, they were fine once I got it back into the back yard....was a strange place to live.

Also, our team has everything to fab pretty much anything.  Between our 4 teammates from last year, There is 4 milling machines,4 lathes, 2 tubing benders, 4 MIG welders, 2 plasma cutters, and all the other regular stuff besides. So if you need a hand with some stuff we can usually help. ( within the confines of our own hectic little lives ).

I would love to use the mills and lathes sometime(did go to school for machining)  make my own brackets for disc brakes to save some $  I would ofcourse also help you guys out when I can.  I still do not know how to weld actually, though I am planning on learning on my own.  I do have access to several welders, a press, normal tools(rachets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc) engine hoist, wiring stuff, air tools, grinders, autobody stuff, etc.  So I am not ill equipped, just not as well equipped as you.  I also don't have a lift sad.

I can sure help ya with disc brake conversion stuff. '80s Dodge 1/2 ton truck brake calipers have a bracket that attaches 'em to the spindle. Makes it pretty easy to make a bracket that attaches them to most any old drum brake spindle. The trick is finding a rotor with the right spacing and bolt pattern. As I recall these trucks are  5 lug 4 1/2 bolt circle. This gives a bunch of rotor possibilities. I'd probably be thinking some rotors that slide over the existing hub after the drum is removed. Will almost certainly need longer studs as floating rotors are a lot thicker than drums.

Just remembered these trucks used wheel BOLTS instead of studs. Am I right? No prob. drill em out and use studs...

Yep, bolts not nuts, also I think that my float is stuck down and needle is stuck open, it starts easy enough, but after about 35 seconds it will bog down and die unless you are playing with the throttle as well.

Probably just has a little crud in it. If it is taking 30 seconds to start flooding over its not stuck wide open. Almost certainly has a random chunk of rust or crud of some kind wedged in it. sometimes they will self clear if you let the carb run dry allowing the the needle to open fully.....it may or may not dislodge. Also can try to smack the side of the carb bowl a couple times with a screwdriver handle....this also sometimes works to dislodge or make things happier. Usually on old stuff like this, a thorough fuel system cleaning is in order to prevent this kind of pain and suffering. You need help with the carb? I'd be glad to offer my assistance soon as I'm up in the Denver area...