Topic: I've owned this thing for a week now and I'm still giddy.

The Plight of the Car Hipster, a story by SpaceFrank.

So I wrecked my venerable Grand Marquis back in August and picked up a beat up little Toyota Echo shitbox from a friend for $250. Then I went back home for Christmas and traded it to my stepdad for a shotgun. Got a ride back to Houston with a friend and immediately started looking for a more permanent DD replacement while driving the race car to work in the meantime. After several days of searching eBay and Craigslist (wherein the guy selling a '63 Buick Riviera for $6500 did not return my emails), I finally decided to look for a later model car for the sake of reliability and comfort, but not brand new, since I didn't want to spend THAT much money. I wanted performance as well, either straight-line or in the bendy bits. No sense driving a car every damn day if it's not fun to drive in some way, right?

Just to make things as difficult as possible, I also decided RWD was a hard requirement. Unfortunately, my freakish torso doesn't fit in any of the small sporty RWD cars. No FRS, no RX-8, sure as hell no Miata unless I cut a hole in the roof and gutted the door as well. I shied away from the Big Three muscle cars for various reasons: everyone and their mother has a Mustang, the Challenger is the slowest of the bunch in a straight line AND around corners, and I'm not 12 years old, so I can't drive the new Camaro. Didn't want to work on a 3-series or an S-class when it broke down in a few years, nor did I want to look like a Deutschbag when driving in a spirited manner. I couldn't be caught dead or alive in a Lexus, and I didn't really know much about Asian cars to start with anyway.

At one point I actually test drove a Cadillac CTS; shit was starting to get weird. Then my good friend and Lemons co-captain Bob introduced me to the Pontiac G8. Plenty of room for me and my big stupid friends, lots of power, decent handling, and respectably good-looking lines. Not at all unlike your mother. In addition, there aren't that many of them around because after two years, a bankrupt GM made the impressive decision to scrap the division that was actually making interesting cars and instead keep cranking out Buick fucking Regals. Whatever the reason, importing Holden products didn't seem to work out for Pontiac in the end, but that all just means that you've probably never heard of it before.

Long story short, I bought one: a 2008 model, the LS2-powered GT version, as I could not afford and was not about to shell out an additional $12k for the top of the line LS3-powered GXP. This is it. This is my new baby.

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/75067_10101534450720626_528908880_n.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of the color, but I'm not complaining. I actually got lucky with this one. Not only was it the lowest-mileage of the four G8 GTs for sale in Houston, but when I got to the dealership I also discovered that the previous owner had been a bit of an "enthusiast" himself. The car has what the internet tells me are a very nice set of headers and a decent cold air intake. The test drive led me to believe it had received a bit of an ECU tune as well. Whether in automatic or "manual" mode, the 6L80E shifts like a... thing that shifts gears really well. The only real issues are a missing engine cover and an aftermarket set of wheels with no TPMS sensors. Okay, so maybe the "enthusiast" was a bit of an idiot. This means I'll have to deal with clearing the Tire Fault message every time I start the car until I figure out what the hell to do about it. I'm thinking a signal clone module to make the computer happy, as long as it's cheap and easy. I can check my own goddamn tire pressures, thank you.

Anyway, the GT model made an advertised 355 HP stock. I'm guessing this one is getting closer to 400 as it sits, but my butt dyno isn't that precise. All I know is that the car is so fast it's literally stupid. As in I will probably die driving it. It also makes about half a million foot-pounds of torque at idle. I can't wait to take this thing to an HPDE weekend.

Re: I've owned this thing for a week now and I'm still giddy.

Nice looking car.  The TPMS thing would drive me nuts.  Fortunately, aftermarket replacements are available.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

Congratulations! Very nice!

I love those things. Really sharp looking cars. I only wish Poncho would have put a manual trans in the GT.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

This really is the RWD V8 monster that they should still be making. I imagine having one of these eventually... for now I have 375hp and 525 ft/lb in the form of a '70 Cadillac Fleetwood. Moves out pretty well for 5500 lbs of barge. Certainly does NOT corner like the G8....

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

Good news, these actually are still available, although I like the Pontiac front end treatment better:

http://www.chevrolet.com/ss-sports-sedan.html

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Sweeeeeet!

I love big v8 rwd sedans.. I like wagons more but they're rarer than hens teeth.  Since I'm super cheap I ended up with this thing:

http://gatetek.com/images/myGS430.jpg

which is a Lexus GS430.  It had bent valves and I spent way too many hours redoing the engine and getting it on the road.  It's been a heck of a car for the money I have in it but it's not as fast as a G8 GT that's for sure.  300hp does a body good but it's no LS2/LS3.  Enjoy your car and keep us up to date!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Yeah, I started drooling over these as soon as they were announced, and haven't stopped since.  The GXP is on my short list of achievable dream cars.  Unfortunately, they made so few of them (< 2000?).  I'm glad someone out there is enjoying one as much as I imagine I would.

SpaceFrank wrote:

...a bankrupt GM made the impressive decision to scrap the division that was actually making interesting cars and instead keep cranking out Buick fucking Regals.

Because Buicks are the status symbol du jour in China for whatever reason.  It's the crime of the century that just as Pontiac was actually making good cars that I want (GTO, G8, Soltice, even the G6 was decent) they got the axe.

Oh well, at least I can still hold out hope that someday CTS V Wagons will drop to the low $20k range.

15x+ Loser, thinks he's a Real Racer(tm)
Rotaries are great, everyone should try them.

I'm waiting for the Police Caprices based on the chassis to hit the used market.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Is the Chevy SS the same Chassis as the Holden/ G8? Guess I need to read up more. I kinda quit reading about new cars for awhile. Depression does strange things to a person.....tho I'm guessing it's sorta hard to be down while squeezing the throttle on this thing...

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

I had an 04 GTO - the best built GM products I ever bought. No squeaks or rattles in it when I sold it with 38,000 miles on it, and I wasn't nice to it. I love the G8, I just wish they would have made a 2 door version of it.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Drats. I must be gettin old. 4 doors look better n better all the time....

Parkwod60 wrote:

I'm waiting for the Police Caprices based on the chassis to hit the used market.

Crown Vic Lemons killer. I can't wait to get one. Let's call it class A with a bazillion laps.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

SeldomSeen wrote:

Is the Chevy SS the same Chassis as the Holden/ G8? Guess I need to read up more. I kinda quit reading about new cars for awhile. Depression does strange things to a person.....tho I'm guessing it's sorta hard to be down while squeezing the throttle on this thing...

Why yes it is.  On the updated Commodore chassis.  I have been driving one for over a month now, and it is awesome!  I previously had a G8GT (which met the side of a low boy trailer and went bye bye)  and then G8GXP with 6spd.  These are amazing cars that have quite the bang for the buck. 

The biggest difference between the G8 and the SS in my opinion is the focus on the interior,  a dearth of hard plastic surfaces in the SS compared to the G8.  Also, the SS is enjoys a "new electrical architecture,"  which allows them to cram every electrical do-dad one could imagine: heads up display, self parking, lane departure warning etc.    A far cry from my 08 G8 which did not even come with bluetooth.

Enjoy the G8!

Winner Porsche Cup CMP Spring 09 (944), Winner class 2 CMP Spring 10 (Audi 100), Organizers Choice CMP Spring 10 (Merc S500), Grassroots Motorsports Most From the Least CMP spring 10 (audi 100), Overall Winner Capitol Offense 2010 (Merc S500), Winner on laps Capitol Offense 2011 (Merc S500), Organizers Choice Capitol Offense 12 (Mercillac).

Yeah....I'd probably still go for the G8 at some point. But then these cars are probably going to be totally thrashed or museum perfect and worth $$$$$.
Not up for buying anything for awhile.

My '06 GTO is the best car I've ever owned, it's also the most aggravating car I've ever owned.

Welcome to the club.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

cdickman12 wrote:

I had an 04 GTO - the best built GM products I ever bought. No squeaks or rattles in it when I sold it with 38,000 miles on it, and I wasn't nice to it. I love the G8, I just wish they would have made a 2 door version of it.

They did make a coupe version. It was called the GTO, lol. Really, the Monaro was a coupe version of the Commodore, if I remember right. It's just that Pontiac didn't put as much thought into the GTO body style. The 05-06 models had the LS2 as well.

The TPMS sensors are like $20 each on rockauto, may as well put them in at least you'll have a working feature than trying to bypass it.  I never understand when "enthusiasts" mod their cars effing up factory features that can easily be kept fixed for a minimal amount of time and effort.  Then when they try to sell privately people assume the car was beat, and they get all cranky that they don't get what they want for the car.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Awesome.  I think of it as Pontiac's last muscle car.

Proud supporter of the "Bring A Sterling To Lemons" Foundation

I'll make it to an actual race one of these days.  Until then...

SpaceFrank wrote:
cdickman12 wrote:

They did make a coupe version. It was called the GTO, lol. Really, the Monaro was a coupe version of the Commodore, if I remember right. It's just that Pontiac didn't put as much thought into the GTO body style. The 05-06 models had the LS2 as well.

I bought that car for 21,000 bucks, drove the hell out of it, then traded it in in '08 for $23,000. That shit'll never happen again in my lifetime.

RogueLeader wrote:

The TPMS sensors are like $20 each on rockauto, may as well put them in at least you'll have a working feature than trying to bypass it.  I never understand when "enthusiasts" mod their cars effing up factory features that can easily be kept fixed for a minimal amount of time and effort.  Then when they try to sell privately people assume the car was beat, and they get all cranky that they don't get what they want for the car.

I'm with you on this. The only question is whether the aftermarket wheels will work with TPMS sensors. If so, that's Plan A. I kind of assumed they didn't, otherwise the previous owner would have had them installed. I suppose he might have just not known he needed them.

SpaceFrank wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

I'm with you on this. The only question is whether the aftermarket wheels will work with TPMS sensors. If so, that's Plan A. I kind of assumed they didn't, otherwise the previous owner would have had them installed. I suppose he might have just not known he needed them.

I'd go with guess B.  TPMS sensors are pretty simple in terms of functionality.  They turn on based upon a motion switch at 15 mph, and shut off after 5 minutes once they stop moving.  So they don't really know what size the wheels are just the pressure.  Its possible he got the wheels installed and maybe one was dead (one died on my Camaro after like 2 years) and he just said screw it they don't work anyway so why pay extra to install them.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

23 (edited by mogren 2014-01-27 08:55 PM)

Looked for the pressure work around, cant find it  Sorry. .One guy said to just remove the light.   It should be covered on the G8 forums tho

G -8 great car , shitty fuel mileage .  Fun tho.

Mike Ogren, Racing in Florida, GA. 
352 4288-983

When we finally sold our mini van (good riddance) my wife took the Expedition and I got to buy a new car.  I looked for one of these for about 3 months and nothing showed up with low miles, it was usually 75k miles and they wanted $23,000+.  I finally bought a Focus ST, great car, but I wish I could have found one of these.

Lou Glutz Motorsports:  Vodden 2012 DNF, Pointless 2013 DNF, Vodden 2013 DNF, ArseFreeze 2013 P-53, Pointless 2014 P-65, Vodden 2014 P-85, Arse-Freeze 2014 P-31 Class A, Pointless 2015 P-105 (brakes) Class A, Vodden 2015 P-75 (Electrical), ArseFreeze 2015 P-41, Pointless 2016 P-53, ArseFreeze P-29

Hey found the w ork around. Put the sensors in a pipe bomb. Basically just a short piece of pipe with caps for both ends. drill one cap for a tire valve , add pressure to 40psi, toss in trunk or under seat.
I use newspaper for the anti rattle inside the pipe.
This works for the track rat Vetts, should also work for the rest.
MM

Mike Ogren, Racing in Florida, GA. 
352 4288-983