Re: I'm a sucker for high displacement engines, this time it's a 6.9L benz

The scrapper here (Denver) will take a car with no title as long as you show ID and sign a form saying the car's not stolen.

unfortunately about 3-4 years ago they changed the policies in town. they never took a car without a title, but they would happily take car parts without a title. in two halves they would take it without title.

now, I can't even take in a hood without showing the title from the car to prove ownership. and there's always a cop or two at the recyclers to make sure they follow this.

I may be able to take it to michigan an hour or so away, i gotta make some calls. even if i get a lower price per pound, it'll perhaps get me more budget overall anyways.

I'll get something figured out, this isn't that big of a hurdle.

I'm not too sure which rims are on the car but the 6.9 had one off wheels that are a little wider.  People who need them will kill to have them.  They were offered on 6.9 only.

Check the casting numbers.

This space for rent.

It has the "bunts" in 14 inch diameter, from what i could see the wider wheels were 15" in diameter. but certainly i'll double check.

there's also a bunch of parts on the car that are worth a small mint if i wasn't using the hydropneumatic stuff:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydropneumatic- … mp;vxp=mtr

but it's just too cool not to use it. also, i don't have springs and shocks with the miata stuff, so i'd have to buy some anyways.

Ya we rotate wheels and tires on them.. The others are at the shop under a tree.

This space for rent.

it's ok. i still think it was a good deal for free, even without the original wheels smile but that means the spare in the trunk may be a 15".

besides, last time i tried to apply a credit from selling wheels to a Lemons build, Phil said no go since it's considered a safety item. so even if i had rims worth $500 i'd sell them but could not apply it towards the build.

I'm not going to be too picky about the nickels and dimes of the budget of a project like this. It would be nice if it passes the microscope test for the $500 budget, though, so I can tell the Internet Car Experts that they don't know diddlysquat about how much stuff really costs.

If you're coming over this way to pickup some junk, you could bring a trailer full of junk to get rid of.  A title is required for a complete-ish car, but if it is chopped into small parts, or is a random collection of parts it's no problem to drop and get $270/ton.  The usual rules apply: all fluids drained, freon evac-ed, gas tanks removed or cut open, etc.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

oh, perfect! i'll do that then since i need to get rid of the mercedes before getting the FJ frame.

Marc wrote:

it's ok. i still think it was a good deal for free, even without the original wheels smile but that means the spare in the trunk may be a 15".

besides, last time i tried to apply a credit from selling wheels to a Lemons build, Phil said no go since it's considered a safety item. so even if i had rims worth $500 i'd sell them but could not apply it towards the build.

My problem with that is that the car is worth less without the wheels, so why not offset purchase price with wheels sold?  As long as they came with the car... Potential solution: buy car without wheels for $x, and then wheels separately for $y.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Phil usually has a soft spot for projects like this... I would highly doubt he is going to break your balls on this....anyhow on one of those old 6.9 Mercs EVERYTHING was special on that car. Assign some bullshit value to each and every little morsel that you "sold" off of it....make up whatever story needed to BS your way through and go with it... It does say in the rules to bring at least plausible sounding stories if nothing else.....(Rules 4.4). Go with it.

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

I mean Phil classed our '65 Rambler in class C up until last year. Complete with Injected Chevy 454. Added 2 blowers (the 3800 buick ones) Class C. After blowing that all to hell (the blowers not the motor) added a Donated Holley and a Performer intake. Class C. Never a penalty lap. I will claim to know Phil but I have never ever thought he would class our car differently or give any kind of preferential treatment. It's also sort of understood that should I or my teammates actually get our act together and attempt to really "race" the car and start winning that he would class us accordingly. Nobody on the team really wants to win....we just like to play. We stop for lunch.....do 30 min fuel stops....start late....hey, we are there to have fun. Phil did finally class us in B last year. Not sure what-in-the-hell he sees in us....LOL! Mind you the car IS B class material.....just not the fools driving it....

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

so sad to see this cut up, went to the wrong home.  #mercedespuristrant

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

SeldomSeen wrote:

Phil usually has a soft spot for projects like this... I would highly doubt he is going to break your balls on this....anyhow on one of those old 6.9 Mercs EVERYTHING was special on that car. Assign some bullshit value to each and every little morsel that you "sold" off of it....make up whatever story needed to BS your way through and go with it... It does say in the rules to bring at least plausible sounding stories if nothing else.....(Rules 4.4). Go with it.

thing is, i'm starting to get e-mails rolling on for some of the bits on the car that i would have never expected. i just got an offer for $250 for the front bumper and $100 for each headlight.

so i'm altering the plan a bit, i'm going to keep the mercedes chassis around during the build so i can sell as much as possible from it. i want to get enough money from it to turbo the 6.9L benz motor.

so help me keep peace with my wife and get this thing out of my driveway to make room for the decrepit merc: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=26028

Jackasic wrote:

so sad to see this cut up, went to the wrong home.  #mercedespuristrant

yup, i've been hearing lots of this already smile and same thing as the airplane guys, i got it for cheap because nobody else wanted it. at least i'm giving the parts a 2nd life.

NSF wrote:

with over 400 ft lbs of torque, choose the transmission wisely and make sure you like to take them apart.  The engine will pull you over 144 MPH if you keep the rear @2.65.  I think the max RPM is 5500 RPM.

yeah, this is a bit of a concern. but without drag strip launches, i beleive the 016 audi transmission will hold (yes, the porsche 944 runs an audi transmission from the factory)

today i took the hood off and got a bit up close to the engine i'll be pulling. trying to seperate all the vacuum lines and electrical wires that need it.

as you can see, it's mostly done, i just have to figure out which way the motor comes out on this beast:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/6.9LBenz/IMG_0857.JPG

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/6.9LBenz/IMG_0858.JPG

the reservoir on the right side of the car is the dry sump tank and the one on the left is the hydro pneumatic reservoir and suspension height control valve.

Factory dry-sump?      that has domination written all over it!!!

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

mike944 wrote:

Factory dry-sump?      that has domination written all over it!!!

yup, it's the only place to stuff 12 quarts of oil in this thing smile

It isn't a super fancy system, it only has one suction section on the pump, but it's more than enough to ensure adequate lubrication under all conditions.

it also has other things that were amazing for the 1970's: fuel injection, overhead cams, hydraulic rocker adjusters and of course a dry sump system.

it's a beast!

Just in case you need more Jeep chassis http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4386326200.html

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Love those old Mercedes engines. I wish I was closer to you. I'd love to be involved in silliness like this. Are you planning on making it to Denver at any point?

damn, this thing up up a hell of a fight. but i won!

and here are two blurry cell phone pictures. i went ahead and ordered a digital camera to replace the one i lost so i can get better pictures of this project again.

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/6.9LBenz/IMG_0884.JPG
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/6.9LBenz/IMG_0885.JPG

i'll try to get back out there this weekend and strip it all down. and no, i don't have a way to weigh it right now. trying to find someone with a scale that goes that high.

DOMINATION.

http://www.luckymojo.com/domination-candle-label.jpg

http://www.luckymojo.com/candle-domination.html really? it's almost worth the $8 to bring it to the first race as a bribe smile

anyways, got all the accessories off the motor, the A/C pump on there was shockingly heavy. it chipped the floor when it came off. about 40-50lbs or so.

it looks pretty reasonable in size, it's a bit long but otherwise decent.
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/6.9LBenz/IMG_0889.JPG
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/6.9LBenz/IMG_0890.JPG
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/6.9LBenz/IMG_0891.JPG

i also ordered one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … OC:US:3160 it'll be handy for other things, but right now i want to settle the argument about how much this engine weighs.

but i feel that the 540lb number is probably reasonable after wrestling the motor around.

So....this thing has a place for a starter on BOTH sides?