Re: Tell Me About Your Track Food. (And/Or Track Farts.)

USAF wench wrote:

What's the recipe for beer can muffins?

So for our dinner we needed to start a roux but we didn't have any flour. So we pop into the IGAFoodliner in Kershaw and realize that instead of buying an entire bag of flour we can get a box of muffin mix because we only needed a tablespoon of flour. So the next morning, we still had this box of muffin mix, but no muffin tins. Being the resourceful guys we are we took the previous night's Yuengling cans, cut them in half, and cooked muffins in beer can halves. Delicious.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

First race at Summit, 2010 we get there extra early, because we didn't have the car ready to roll out till 2 am Friday.

We figured we'd get something over in the far corner, kinda in the shade.  All morning, the smell of BBQ hung in the air.  Later that afternoon, some guy stops by and sees us thrashing.  he mentions that there is a BBQ at 6:00.  We get there, salad, BBQ everything, and micro brewed beer by the keg!  I immediately knew I found my people. 

Since then, aside from our meager rations of burgers and dogs, we attend Greg's team saturday dinner, complete with garlic bread, salad, spaghetti and meatballs.Good weather or freezing our asses off, they're out there serving well into the night.

I've heard of the French toast/french roast breakfasts, but have not attended yet.  Tsoggy's bacon is awesome at any time of the day/night, and I've even sampled a little of Fritz's grill food.  All excellent!  Thanks to all of you

PS, we usually have a few beers to celebrate at the end.  All are welcome till they're gone.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

We generally use a wok to brown some sausage, add eggs and cheese and toss it into a tortilla for breakfast. Lunch is usually a sandwich, and dinner is either something that was pre-made, and warmed back up, burgers or something grilled, or we bring the big trailer mounted smoker and throw down.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

BoB wrote:

Now are you talking about the stands at the track or what people make?

Heh, both.

papal_smear wrote:

Oh, lordy, lordy... did I make a mistake.

Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard.  It may be part of why Lemons is so appealing to me.  But I take it to extremes.  Like when the wife tells me to throw out the moldy food from the back of the fridge -- I take it to work instead, scrape the mold off, and "Voila!" lunch is served!  At last December's Arsefreeze-a-palooza, my team was going to shack up in a motel while I was going to shack up in the back of my Prius.  This meant I had to fend for myself for food.  Looking through the cabinets, I found some semi-recently expired freeze-dried backpacker's food, and thought "well, we have to get rid of this sooner than later..."

Sleeping in the back of a Prius in near-freezing weather isn't exactly the most comfortable option for a 6'0" dude.  But I made it work.  To keep warm I layered up: long underwear, flannel pajamas, then an Israeli IDF extreme cold weather jumpsuit.  In this Michelin-man getup, I slithered into a flimsy Coleman sleeping bag and hunkered down for the night.  In my belly was a half-cooked bag of sweet-and-sour chicken and rice from Backpacker's Pantry.  It had required an unusual amount of chewing on various kernels of unknown substances, claimed to be "pineapples, carrots and onions".  What it lacked in taste, it gave back in fill factor.  I was stuffed like a fat chick in a cocktail dress at a San Jose nightclub.

I awoke at sometime around 3 AM with a stabbing pain in my gut.  My sleeping bag was wet from all the condensation -- it was too cold to crack a window earlier.  I tried to sit up but there's just no room in my little tin cocoon.  I rolled from side to side, trying to find a comfortable position, only to be answered by a wet, baritone gurgling.  The kind that usually precedes a gastro-intestinal explosion.  I knew the clock was ticking, so I began weighing my options...

shit my pants in the comfort of my sleeping bag, or

carefully extricate myself from the sleeping bag (which requires some yoga-like contortions in the back of a Prius), waddle several hundred yards to the bathrooms in the freezing cold, peel off my jumpsuit (no trapdoor in this guy) and sit on an ice sculpture shaped like a toilet.  I got goose bumps just thinking about it.

"Never gamble with a fart" is the age-old advice.  Though this was running through my head, I seemed to be leaning towards the "shit my pants" option.  It's just too damn cold outside.  Even in the Prius, I could see my breath.  I feared losing my dingus to frostbite.  I kept rolling around, doing some new-age interpretive "dance of the worm", trying to work this demon out of my belly.  Then came the moment of truth.  The gurgle.  The pucker.  Visions of a chocolate fondue fountain, no, a class IV rapid in Willy Wonka's river of chocolate.  I imagined having to clean out the Prius with a garden hose whilst wearing a hazmat suit.  ...and did the lord have mercy on me, but it was just a fart.

Like the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake, this fart was but a harbinger of the tsunami of hydrogen sulfide that was to overtake my poor little Prius.  Being wrapped in a sleeping bag and a jumpsuit, this meant the tsunami's only pathway to destruction was via my hood.  My nose was sitting in the front row, center, at the amphitheater of gastrointestinal distress, and my bowels would be playing a double-album.  The odor raced around my sinuses like a good dose of wasabi at an authentic sushi bar.  Even my eyes were stinging, watering, you'd swear I was just maced.  But the pressure-relief valve was doing his job, and oh, what a relief it was.

I was able to fall sleep a half-hour later, despite a failed attempt to aerate my miniature execution chamber.  The synthetic fibers that make up the Prius's interior seemed to be little hands that were quite adept at gripping grime, filth and odor.  Too bad it was too cold to ditch the IDF suit... I just had to keep my distance from everyone, lest they think (rightfully so) that I was walking around in a fully loaded diaper.  The drive home from Arsefreeze-a-palooza was windows-down, of course, and even that left it smelling of rotten eggs and dead babies.  Which reminds me, I still need to borrow my buddy's steam cleaner.  The missus still won't ride in my car.

This is the most beautifully-written description of a fart I've EVER read on the internet.

First, tSoG's bacon and cabinboy's brisket have well-deserved reputations.  I have yet to find better trackside fare.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm just gonna offer up that a Midwesterner racing in Texas at a 24 hour race probably ought to think twice about relying on the team for food.  Don't get me wrong!  There were generous hosts offering up some great food!  If you are comfortable downing TexMex before strapping into a race car.

I am not.

I think I got the last sammich left at the track concessions that day.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

We usually bring my gas grill from home, Friday nite is chicken and sausage, poached in beer and then grilled. You know what poached means: hunted illegally. Left overs work for lunch for the rest of the week end, as well as a ham that gets sliced up. We have gotten in the habit of doing  crock pot meal for Saturday nite, as there are only 4 or 5 of us and no support staff to do the cooking. Very nice to come off the track, get the rolls and sides out while Phil slices brisket or pulled pork!

Bacon mac and cheese as a side, thrown on the grill to heat. Some burgers and dogs for whenever anyone wants one. Breakfast is cinnamon rolls cooked on the grill, bacon or sausage maybe some eggs. Apples, oranges and bananas and some salty snacks are left out though the day.

We always bring too much, always feed a few strays, and get yelled at for bringing too much home.

Can't beat the gas stories. Its my camper, so I get the bedroom to myself!

Fritz

Dahlinboysracing W/Frankenphil  '11 Crown Royal Vic SPWV 73 '12 Tom Sellecka Toyota NJMP 75 SPWV 43 NHMS 65, '13  Toylaren Monticello 120, Daytona 102, SPWV  83 HF! NJMP 41 NHMS 48th '14 Fireball  Integra NJMP 24th NJMP 18th NHMS 90th '15 NJMP 54th Daytona 33RD SPWV 4th Thompson  79th CMP 13th '16 NJMP 43 Thompson 21 CMP 32nd NHMS 24 '17 FB Integra NJMP 68 Cledus Snow Eldorado IGS 118, NCM 24

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Since then, aside from our meager rations of burgers and dogs, we attend Greg's team saturday dinner, complete with garlic bread, salad, spaghetti and meatballs.Good weather or freezing our asses off, they're out there serving well into the night.

Those Saturday night pasta dinners are the best!  (The left coast Alfa guys put on a pretty good spread too).

Frank, the head chef from Pro Crash Duh Nation, told me one time that the team scheduled his driving stints so as to not interrupt his cooking, be it breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  He told me this funny story one time about how he was out on the track  late one afternoon, and they had to start prepping for the pasta dinner.  The rest of the team was on the radio asking him all kinds of moronic cooking questions.  "Hey Frank, where do you keep the meat sauce?".  "Hey Frank, how long should we preheat the <whatever>?"

When that Peugeot team showed up and started offering French toast for breakfast, I made the mistake of mentioning it to Frank.  Holy mother of God, it was like I was thinking of cheating on him!  I thought he was going to beat the sh*t out of me with his spatula.

bs

34 (edited by EyeMWing 2014-04-02 03:44 PM)

So I need to make a special shoutout to the bastard vendor at Arse Freeze 2014 who was selling crappy hot chocolate for like, way too much cash. Hydration AND warmth!

Bacon east, Dave Morrow's chili is fantastic, and Sputnik's forced induction keg grill (or whatever that thing is that looks like a blast furnace mated with a cooking appliance) and the resultant culinary badassery needs mention.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I had the benefit of eating the barbequing of the leader of Team Camel Toe. He raced with us for two races, and we pitted next to them at Sears Pointless. While TCT is relatively new to Lemons, Gavin has been perfecting his cooking for a while and he is awesome. We had steaks for dinner once that were just amazing. Grilled sausages and other goodies. If you can get a team mate that can cook, its almost better than having the extra hands as a wrench.

At March Sears Pointless one of our team mates (Ray) did the cooking. A good sauteed chicken with some cooked grains for dinner one night.  His winner, though, was breakfast egg sandwiches (with cheese and sausage or bacon).  I always add chopped peperoncini and mustard, YUM!

I was just thinking about this the other day. There are great (sometimes easy to make) foods for the colder races, and then there are some great foods for the hotter summer time races. The one i was thinking of is some that is great for really hot days (like Buttonwillow or T-Hill in August or September). its basically a green salad (with 5-6 kinds of veggies), shredded Cheddar cheeses, with hot grilled cut up chicken, Fritos and fresh salsa.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Amanda's Kitchen. She feeds an average of 40 peeps when she brings it on.
Spaghetti with home-made sauce
Pulled by hand pulled pork
Breakfast burritos
Chili
Jambalaya

Basically a bunch of carbs an a balance of protein to make your weekend less stress on the body.

Not from Lemons, but I know Frito Pie tastes the same both ways. Probably the best food to consume if you know you're going to have a case of motion sickness and you know you need some sustenance.

We've brought a grill to every race. Our first race, we didn't use it at all because we were pitted next to some guys with a much bigger grill. They let us use it (and also gave us some of their food) in exchange for borrowing our welder. I think we cooked steaks one night, but the rest of the time we ate sandwiches and track food. Since then, we've evolved somewhat. The addition of my co-captain's wife to the crew has been a big part of that. I wholeheartedly agree that a dedicated cook is way better for a team than an extra mechanic. At our last couple races we've had beef stew, grilled chicken sandwiches, gumbo, etc. The easiest and best things tend be either grilled meat products with carbs on the side or large pot meals, usually pre-prepared and heated up on site.

In the Midwest:

- tSoG's bacon is the stuff of legend, but he also brings epic quiche.
- BoB's team brings excellent baked goods.
- I've somehow yet to have cabinboy's brisket, but I can vouch for the Car-B-Q's ribs cooked on Saab exhaust manifold (There's also a Chump team that grills food on their Civic manifold).
- The Keystone Kops had some killer minestrone at one of the October Autobahn races when it was 35 degrees and raining all weekend. They and the other Volvo teams put on a big dinner Friday night at the East Coast races to raise money for Alex's Lemonade Stand.
- Dangie on the board makes the best chili I've ever had and always has good Boulevard beer to complement it in the evenings.
- Our team had two Brazilians on it, so we went to the track with giant bins of pan de queso and some other really good shit whose name I can't recall off the top of my head.

Track food at Autobahn is good; get the Italian Beef.
Track food at Gingerman is average. The PEAK guys fed the paddock Saturday night with some BBQ that wasn't terrible.
I didn't get the track food at Road America, but I've heard from several people that it's tremendous.

Things not to eat before getting the car: A whole crapload of Red Vines.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

So, what's the packing list when you cook out at the track? Everything I touch food-wise seems to catch on fire, so honest question here. Essential supplies for the munchies: go.

You should get Erik to describe our smoker routine when he's at the races. Usually we do a few (or18) racks of ribs, a couple score bacon wrapped smoked jalapeño poppers, and then a couple bacon explosions. That will probably be our Saturday night at Houston in November. Feel free to come by our garage & join us when the track goes cold.

In terms of other food, we just do cold cut sandwiches for lunches. Team is kinda on their own for breakfasts, and then I usually get some bags of chips & lots of bottled water & Gatorade. Condiments & pickles go a long way too.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I highly recommend your team adopt April Halliday as a driver if possible. She's great behind the wheel, never gets black flags, has instructed for any track day/club you want to name in No. Cal. and will bring cookies, brownies and sandwich making stuff even if she is just an arrive and drive.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

A strict diet of cigarettes, quaaludes, and coffee

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

derekste wrote:

A strict diet of cigarettes, quaaludes, and coffee

Luuuuudes man. Fuckin luuuudes man.
Denis leary diet. I see no fail.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Also, if anyone has any pictures...go for it. Otherwise, I'll have a lot of one epic delicious barbeque spread from the Poorvette dudes, heh.

45 (edited by TheEngineer 2014-04-09 01:59 PM)

I'm a disaster when it comes to food at races. In fact most race weekends I just plain don't eat. The first race I think i had a granola bar, and a sandwhich over the course of 3 days. I just don't get hungry at races, i'm too hopped up on adrenaline. I realized after that race that I had been dangerous. We've gotten better. Now we bring sandwich materials, snacks, drinks, and supplies to make hot breakfasts.

I love the teams that do feed everyone events. In NH we have team Pro-Crash-Du-Nation that does the saturday night pasta meal every race which is an amazing production. We also get Alex's Lemonade stand and Over Engineered Racing (I think? Please correct me if I'm wrong) who have done a BBQ in recent years. All the teams that do these events deserve some praise.

The thanksgiving meal orchestrated by 3 Pedal Mafia last fall was amazing. Probably the single best meal I've had at Lemons between the food and awesome people.

Nothing holds a candle to Amanda's kitchen on the west coast though. (Thank you Spank for getting me in on that). Everything offered was amazingly good, and they bug you to make sure you're eating. I've never eaten that well over the course of a race, ever.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

My wife is the unsung hero of the teams that I have been a part of, her official title is, with apologies to Jay, Chief Gastronomic Perpetrator.  Our little pop-up camper will have the stove going at all hours, serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, and various overnight meals in the case of a 24 hour race.

She has served a variety of homemade soups, gumbo, spaghetti (with freshly baked garlic bread), Daniel Boone Fried Chicken, sloppy joes, and of course, bacon-burger-dogs (hot dogs, sealed in hamburger, wrapped in bacon. All served with the appropriate sides, including pasta salads, fruit salads, baked beans, various veggies, coleslaw, etc.  Desert is also usually served, pies, cheesecake, and freshly baked cookies are also common.

She has even gotten into the Lemons spirit by doing some modifications to the toaster oven herself to increase baking capacity.

We have fed neighboring teams, judges, and even corner workers.  All part of life at the track.  wink

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

TheEngineer wrote:

Nothing holds a candle to Amanda's kitchen on the west coast though. (Thank you Spank for getting me in on that). Everything offered was amazingly good, and they bug you to make sure you're eating. I've never eaten that well over the course of a race, ever.

Saturday morning, I'm up early to finish getting the car ready.   Naturally, I get busy and forget about eating.   Suddenly, Amanda is standing in front of me with a stern expression and a plate of food, "You haven't eaten yet.   Eat.   Now."

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

jimbo_se-r wrote:

She has even gotten into the Lemons spirit by doing some modifications to the toaster oven herself to increase baking capacity.

That's freaking awesome.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I think this year at autobahn I will be making my deep fried chili.  I serve it over mac and cheese, its about a million calories.  And of course I make it with Carol Shelby's chili mix.

moemann wrote:

I think this year at autobahn I will be making my deep fried chili.  I serve it over mac and cheese, its about a million calories.  And of course I make it with Carol Shelby's chili mix.

At which paddock spot shall I seek out this delicacy?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing