Topic: Anyone else having problems finding drivers?

I tried to get a team together to drive our IOE winning Mini in Phoenix, but everyone came up with uber-lame excuses most revolving around $. Hell, I'm broke but was willing to run up another credit card in order to do it.

And now I'm getting the same vibe as I try to come up with double the drivers for the Infineon race in March (with Dec. 26th deadline)-- one for the IOE winner, and one for an IOE contender... Yes, both are pathetically slow as compared to the other cars on track and most of the time will be spent giving the perpetual point-by, but come on! I never thought I'd have to beg people to drive a friggin' race!

Anyone else having trouble with this?

Re: Anyone else having problems finding drivers?

Yeah, same thing, money.  I have a good core of 3 total drivers.  It's the 4th that is always a bitch.  It reminds me of looking for a bass player back in the day.  We always ended up with the biggst fruitcakes.

As Lemons has grown and expanded so have the annual costs.

We started out with the 1 race in 2008.  We raced 3 races in 2009.  For 2010, I am hoping to run 5+ races.  The more races we do the more it costs.

I hear more interest from SCCA & NASA guys who want to race.  These are guys who are used to spending $1000+ a weekend to race for a very short time period.  To them $500+ is a deal and they don't have to bare all the burdens of the car.

That said, they prefer to race in a race instead of drive in a race pointing everyone by.

Insert Lemons driver and former arm chair quarter back.  Many graduated from DEs and Auto crosses while others were complete newbies.  They have a blast at Lemons and enjoy the fact that they can be a part of it.  However, they are used to watching from there recliner most of the time and occasionally in person.  I think spending $500+ per weekend several weekends a year is cost prohibitive to this group.

Entering and IOE car is betting on the long shot.  I am not talking about your odds of winning so much as your odds of even getting to drive.  Lots of people and especially racers, talk a lot of smack.  Talk's cheap, few put their money where their mouth is.  Their spending speaks volumes of truth. 

The explosion of Crap Can racing opportunities for 2010 is going to test the economic viability of the Crap Can racing community.  We'll just have to see how it works out.

Spank, I hope you get the drier's you need.  I do think a Mini is really cool.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

These are guys who are used to spending $1000+ a weekend to race for a very short time period.  To them $500+ is a deal and they don't have to bare all the burdens of the car.

That said, they prefer to race in a race instead of drive in a race pointing everyone by.

Hell, its a 1000+ a weekend and thats if I dont buy new rubber, thats about another 1200.
This next race in houston will be cheaper then the first, and the next will be cheaper then
this one

Geez, I have 12 committed drivers...  I'm building a second car just to accommodate everyone who wants to drive.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Phil, I'm talking about the cost per person. 

Seems like arrive and drive spots start around $500.

The cost to run the car for the weekend pretty much starts at $2000 and goes up from there.

Sorry, I wasn't more clear.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We had a hard time with our "normal" 4-5, and ended up asking previous drivers and a couple who wanted to preioulsy if they would like to go. We will end up running two cars at Houston because we hsd too many comitt for just one car.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

apparently none of ya'll watch the news.  i think i heard something about the economy being........ well.... less than ideal lately.

unemployment can put a real damper on the average joes' racing budget.  i'm stretching it for one race in 2010.  can't commit past that.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Finding "drivers" is easy.....

Finding "funded" drivers is NOT....

I keep my team at 4 drivers...since I want to be sure each driver get plenty of seat time.....including ME....  In an ideal world I want each driver to get a stint (think one tank of gas) per day

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I had it budgeted for about $800 ea for 4 people which included entry, spare discs, pads, shoes, tires, tow fuel and race fuel, but not accommodations. But we recently got some more used tires as donations (finding 10" tires ain't easy) so that would have cut the cost down some...

In hindsight, I think the reason I got the drivers the first time was because I paid for most of the build supplies and got the parts and shell to build the car. They had to pay their own entry, race fuel, provide 1 meal, and get their own safety gear. I just figured now that they've got the gear it would have been cheaper but I reckon not.

Maybe March will be better... I know one thing, though, I'll sign up my wife, 70-year-old and blind dad, and 2 -year old son to drive so I can get this new car on the track!

I never have problems getting drivers because I have lots of imaginary friends. Of couse they never pay much either... but I get a lot of seat time!

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Get ahold of your local autocross group and I bet you'd find several willing drivers. We've had absolutely no problem finding drivers for our team and probably have enough friends who are interested to field a second team if we were so inclined (however it's all we can do to keep the one car going so someone else would need to come up with a car).

There are those of us with wives that are glad a weekend will only cost us 800 bucks.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

The cost of safety gear makes it more expensive for first timers. I know lots of guys that run DE's that wated to run Lemons, but when it came time to figure cost's, they dropped out like flies. Of course you only have to buy the safety gear once, but....

I have 3 comitted at $500 and two paid on my first race which will be June, my car will be 2k rtr with no spares, so the thing should be a zero sum gig because I am hoping to have extra rubber and brakes for the events, this would also cover the car entry, and the car and my trucks fuel for transport

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

I drove an IOE car and it's less than stellar.  I'm not sure that I would pay for that again.  I mean (in our case) it was a FWD, 100hp, 2500# car  vs. RWD, 150hp, 1800# car for $200 more for the weekend. 

Our team has 10+ funded drivers and we bring as many cars as we need to.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

I drove an IOE car and it's less than stellar.  I'm not sure that I would pay for that again.  I mean (in our case) it was a FWD, 100hp, 2500# car  vs. RWD, 150hp, 1800# car for $200 more for the weekend. 

Our team (brag brag brag)

Exact hp and weight unknown, but it's anywhere between 35-50 hp at the wheels, FWD, and probably 1300-1500lbs as raced.

Looking at My Laps results, our fastest lap was 58.178 mph (5 teams, including the winning Volvo, broke the 70mph threshold-- most were in the mid to upper 60s). BUT according to the same results (if they are to be believed) we had the MOST time on track of ALL the entrants! And we started over 1 hour behind because of a pre-race penalty... 13:20:16.038  -- 6 other teams were in the 13H20min range-- And we were doing 20-30 minute driver's stints the whole weekend and weren't even worried about the speed of driver changes until Sunday (just for fun)! Finish was just out of the top half.

I've got plans to try and turbo charge it so we can maybe get closer to 60hp, but not until maybe the December Buttonwillow event.

soldmystang wrote:

apparently none of ya'll watch the news.  i think i heard something about the economy being........ well.... less than ideal lately.

unemployment can put a real damper on the average joes' racing budget.  i'm stretching it for one race in 2010.  can't commit past that.

They are lying to you...

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

RobL wrote:

Our team has 10+ funded drivers and we bring as many cars as we need to.

You have an 1800# 150hp car?  Really?  That is the best power to weight of any Lemons car.  Very impressive.  What kind of car is it?

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

20 (edited by Fish 2009-12-16 05:12 PM)

If anyone is short a driver for any of the CA, NV or AZ races send me a message if you need an arrive and drive "faster" driver and you have a legit car.

Fish wrote:

If anyone is short a driver for any of the CA, NV or AZ races send me a message if you need an arrive and drive "faster" driver and you have a legit car.

You should probably add "well financed" to that "faster" if you want takers.

I may not have a ride for this season. Who knows I may just fly in for a few races (Southern States) wearing my fire suit and gear with a handful of cash. Who says you need to change clothes or bring luggage!!! Less baggage = more fun!

the head wrote:
soldmystang wrote:

They are lying to you...

who is?  my creditors or my accounts recievables?

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

We had one driver drop out because our Camaro didn't fit his image. We had another one drop out because he was "too busy." What ever the hell that means.

Richard
Intervention Motorsports

Richardnew wrote:

We had one driver drop out because our Camaro didn't fit his image.

I guess racing a Camaro was gonna ruin his street creds, huh?