Topic: Multiple car teams - why?

So I can probably graduate out of the Newbies forum now that I've done my first race, but I still have some questions for the more advanced teams.

Mainly, what are the financial or team advantages of the 2 car teams?  Do you save on any of the entry/drive fees?  Are you allowed to drive both cars, or is it a strict drive-car line up?  I assume there's some good reason to bring two hoopies to the track.

2 (edited by cheseroo 2014-07-21 09:28 PM)

Re: Multiple car teams - why?

For me, the thought is that it increases the odds that I'll have at least one car on track at all times.  Conversely, you can come home with them all broken.  There are no financial breaks for running two cars particularly if they dont share components.  About the only break is towing costs if you can tow more than one at a time.  And yes, you can drive both cars.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Some people like building cars, selling seats helps pay for them (some times).

Some people have lots of friends, if you want a lot of seat time then signing up a lot of friends in one car won't get it for you.

There are no registration advantages to having multiple cars.  If a driver is registered, he can drive any car in that event, even if he's not registered to that team.  I know Spank and Chris O let their drivers try various cars in their stables.

I find managing one car and team of 3 drivers (including myself) is more than enough.  I'm glad I don't have more friends.

bs

You're never limited to driving any given car once you're a registered driver; you can certainly offer a stint to the guys in the next pit when their car goes POOF, as happened at the Reno Fernley 24; one of our guys headed out for an hour in the neighbors 924 Porsche, IIRC. A certain Jeep racer hopped in our Benz and damn near set a lap record for our car.

It seems that most multi-car teams want either interchangeable, near identical race cars, or wildly different machines, for (I'd imagine) variety's sake. Set the fast lap of the race in the 944? What can you do in the '58 Buick?

Getting 4-6 drivers together and hauling our Benz at least 500 miles to race is hard enough... But if we had a waiting list and ready availability of a second tow rig, damn right we'd try a second car. Certain of our team roster just don't find it proper to drive anything but a Volvo... So you know what car #2 would be for us!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

As for any disadvantages, can anyone clarify this?

6.2: Team Lousy-Driving Rule: Teams are held jointly accountable for the penalties earned by their drivers.

By the letter of the law, even if you have two cars on the track, you're still only  allowed so many black flags, thus one set of crappy drivers in one car can have the whole team marching around doing something amusing if gone unchecked correct?

One of my teammates wants to build another car and run a two car team with me, but this here has me thinking he's better off doing his own thing since he doesn't understand rule 6.1.

Yeah; I like Fieros! Sue me!
Salty Thunder Racing
#90 1985 Pontiac Fiero Sport
#63 1988 Pontiac Fiero Coupe

We had three cars, 8 drivers and a dozen family and friends at the Ridge this weekend. Multiple cars allows us to all get a chance to play out on the track, and when there is a problem with one, we modify the driving schedule to suit.

Also, a$500 Corvette fell into our laps this year, so why wouldn't we add it to the roster?!!

Silversleeves Racing
Austin Mini #42 | John Lemmons Wolseley Hornet
Austin 1800 #49  V6 Landcrab - Organizer's Choice PNW2013 | Class C Winner 2015
Barbie's Corvette #44 - Organizer's Choice PNW2014

Why I like having multiple cars is what cheseroo said-- it's a form of insurance for when 1 blows up there's still something for someone to drive.

I personally like to bring new stuff because I find it's more entertaining than seeing the same-ol', same-ol' out there every regional event. I used to bring 2 "previously run" cars and 1 experimental or new car, but I learned that for me having 3 cars and only 1 or 2 others on the crew who had helped with any of the builds was not a great formula and I was stretched too thin trying to keep cars running and everyone happy. For me, 2 cars is a fair balance between seat insurance and the hell I need to put my family through in the weeks leading up to an event.

The other draw for multiple cars is I keep finding what I think are super cool $500 cars that just HAVE to be run in Lemons and, well, I have to try and run them!

And still another reason is, Hell, the car's already built. Why the hell should it stay parked at home?! (for the record, I currently have 5 caged, previously raced Lemons cars in my backyard)

JayDub wrote:

As for any disadvantages, can anyone clarify this?

6.2: Team Lousy-Driving Rule: Teams are held jointly accountable for the penalties earned by their drivers.

By the letter of the law, even if you have two cars on the track, you're still only  allowed so many black flags, thus one set of crappy drivers in one car can have the whole team marching around doing something amusing if gone unchecked correct?

One of my teammates wants to build another car and run a two car team with me, but this here has me thinking he's better off doing his own thing since he doesn't understand rule 6.1.

That's not an issue. Penalties are assessed to the car number since that's the easiest way to keep track. If one car gets four flags (regardless of who is driving it), the other car on the team won't be effected (though you may be on the radar a little more). 

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

Why I do I do it?  F{%^ if I know!

Just kidding , I like building the cars and introducing people into Lemons .

Multiply cars help pay for the other builds. Like the oddball C car no one wants to pay to drive .
You would think people would want to drive a 27ft LemonLimo around a race track .

I have been trying to bring a spare car in case one breaks.

So my answer is what everyone says .

More seat time

More happy people

More work for me the one Man team.

I got 8 caged cars in my yard and 3-4 new arrivals in the works.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

We just bought our second car, mostly because we have lots of people who want to drive and our first car is reliable, but one of the slowest on the track. 

Here is a question.  We get a lot of rookie drivers.  Should we let the rookies drive the slow car only for their first race to get used to the track or just offer a mix?  I never raced a fast car so I'm not sure how much more challenging it would be.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

11 (edited by chaase 2014-07-22 05:43 AM)

meyers0150 wrote:

We just bought our second car, mostly because we have lots of people who want to drive and our first car is reliable, but one of the slowest on the track. 

Here is a question.  We get a lot of rookie drivers.  Should we let the rookies drive the slow car only for their first race to get used to the track or just offer a mix?  I never raced a fast car so I'm not sure how much more challenging it would be.

Put them in the slow car to get a feel for the track.

We run two cars because we have more than 6 people that want to run on the average race. The main benefit of having two cars is if one blows up, then everyone can still drive the other car. I also like the dynamic of having two different cars, especially in two classes. The Rover is class C and was trying for index. The Saturn was class A going for overall win. The Rover we were just trying to keep it on the track. It needed a respectable showing for us to win IOE but it didn't need to be top 5 in Class C. The Saturn was more intense in that it was long stints driving and fast pit stops.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

We run two cars on the west coast, the Celica is stupidly reliable, easy on gas, tires and brakes and super easy to drive. It bounces between B and c class and has been used to introduce new drivers to Lemons. Then there is the Cowmaro, lots of power capable of hanging with A class cars but suffers C class reliability.

The slower car is a great introduction to Lemons, you can't get into too much trouble in it. If you miss your braking mark or get on the gas too soon it's easily recovered. The Cow on the other hand is a handful and you have to be right on your game the whole time.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

We had a one car team, and that car spent more time being worked on in the pits than on the track. We picked up a miata because they are reliable and we wanted track time. Then we had too many drivers for just one, so we built another. We have arrive and drives on a wait-list for good money, and part of that is because we can almost guarantee them track time between the two cars.

We do occasionally only take one car and have a nice, relaxed weekend of racing without having to corral 8-10 people and two cars all the time.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

We run three cars (Grim Reaper V-6 Mustang, class A in a class B car, Radioactive V-8 Mustang, class A, and Austin Powerless Austin Marina (soon to be class B in a class D car).  Many times one car needs more work than the others; means that a team workday can concentrate on one and with three teams pulling together amazing things can be accomplished.  Also, we can swap drivers amongst cars if desired.  We also fuel each other's cars, utilize one rather than three of things (one air compressor, for example) and just generally have a great time as a large team.  And if one car does break (not that a LeMon would EVER do that) we have help fixing it...

One thing I'll add here that works very well for us is that all of us have different strengths.  For example, one guy on one team has great contacts for picking up metal (tubing, sheet, etc.) at vastly reduced prices.  So he sources most of the metal we need.  Others are good at negotiating great hotel rates, so they do that for the whole team...and so on.  Sure works well for us!

Jamie Palmer  tr6driver@yahoo.com
Austin Powerless Racing  '75 Austin Marina, 44th/IOE Summit Point '13, 35th/1st Class C CMP Fall '13, 23rd/3rd Class C CMP Spring '14, 83rd/14th Class C CMP Fall '14 (blown engine/swapped mid-race to finish), 3rd Class C CMP Spring '15, 2nd Class C CMP Fall '15
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-Po … 3187341573

15 (edited by 68healey 2014-07-22 07:06 PM)

Thanks for the answers guys.  I think we'd be interested in both a little bit of insurance and a little variety as well.

swindrum wrote:

We had three cars, 8 drivers and a dozen family and friends at the Ridge this weekend. Multiple cars allows us to all get a chance to play out on the track, and when there is a problem with one, we modify the driving schedule to suit.

Also, a$500 Corvette fell into our laps this year, so why wouldn't we add it to the roster?!!

How does that work swindrum?  I thought a team needed a minimum of 4 drivers per car to enter an event?    BTW, which 3 cars were they?  Did you run the Barbie theme Corvette?  If so we were pitted 2-3 paddocks south of you with the black 944.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Yes, we had the Barbie Corvette, The V6 Austin Landcrab and the Purple Mini.

We signed up a few people a couple times across the 3 teams to boost the rosters, then just split the cost between the 8 drivers.

How was the 944? depending on which of our cars I was in, I could get by it, or it was getting by me!

Sean

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10530670_10204342614825528_8598680352803176385_n.jpg?oh=a6391506c9f1923f1708a1a4dc95cafa&oe=5434D3EE&__gda__=1414275674_45d0c96cee5935c641e2f5a50ddba0d5

Silversleeves Racing

FWIW:

I fight combat robots as another hobby, and despite being a one- (sometimes two-) person team, always aimed to take at least one 'bot per weight class, and in the bigger competitions there were six weight classes in any given weekend's competition. It was the 'shotgun' approach, hoping something would stick. Unfortunately, given my random 'bot designs, not much did, but it was satisfying having a full weekend.

I can do 'bots, but I'm a novice with cars, let alone race cars, but I imagine for those who know what they're doing, it's a similar experience.

$0.02
Toni

#98 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight - Class A car in the hands of a Class D team - MSR Houston IOE!

The 944 did great considering it was our first race.  Some minor (in the big picture) engine repairs are needed and our clutch master was leaking like crazy.  The judges thought we were crazy to bring a 944 as our first entry, but it easily completed the race.  Well know more when we tear the engine apart in a month.

You were probably passing it based on who was driving.  I was hovering close to 2:40 lap times on Sunday morning with all of the rain while another driver got multiple laps down to 2:16 on the dry track.  I think all of us had a great time and are hooked for another race or two next year.

68healey wrote:

How does that work swindrum?  I thought a team needed a minimum of 4 drivers per car to enter an event?    BTW, which 3 cars were they?  Did you run the Barbie theme Corvette?  If so we were pitted 2-3 paddocks south of you with the black 944.

Ben

You only need to pay for the four drivers.  Nobody cares if you register four drivers, or if anybody even shows up.

bs

20 (edited by ninjacoco 2014-07-24 10:28 PM)

I have more interested drivers than spots I can reasonably assign to the 944. This multi-car thing is tempting.

It's almost bad enough to make me want the K. Who am I kidding? I would totally be up for fabulousifying the K. That way, it'll at least sparkle when it breaks.

ninjacoco wrote:

I have more interested drivers than spots I can reasonably assign to the 944. This multi-car thing is tempting.

It's almost bad enough to make me want the K. Who am I kidding? I would totally be up for fabulousifying the K. That way, it'll at least sparkle when it breaks.

We could probably hook you up with leftover pink paint...  :enabler:

Silversleeves Racing

ninjacoco wrote:

I have more interested drivers than spots I can reasonably assign to the 944

I'm a little jealous.

ninjacoco wrote:

You know this is coming.

DOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTT!!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Here's a kilo of pink glitter to get your sparkly on;

http://www.glitterpackaging.com/sell-pi … 01969.html

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

swindrum wrote:
ninjacoco wrote:

We could probably hook you up with leftover pink paint...  :enabler:

cdickman12 wrote:

Here's a kilo of pink glitter to get your sparkly on;

http://www.glitterpackaging.com/sell-pi … 01969.html

You guys ARE enablers! Hahahaha.

Spank--if you're doing MSR-H, I may start sending folks your way.