Topic: 24 Hours of Hardships...

My ideal 24 hour race... EVERYTHING thrown at you, and you survive to finish at the flag.
I think that is why I enjoyed the Nelson Ledges race. We had everything from cold, rain, mud, more rain and cold and I think just a little more mud thrown in.

Having to make some last second tweaks to our cage.

Having some things we missed on pre-race inspection go bad during the race.

We did not have anything real major like our MR2 cousins did, but what we did have happen sure did make for some interesting fixes.

The stress from that race was huge for me as I prepped the car, and was the only guy with actual 24 hour racing under his belt, so I knew what could go wrong with the car... did I get everything fixed? Did I review everything?

Then the mud, the rain and the cold.

The rain is what made my thinking go into over drive. So many things can go wrong with a car in the rain.

Our team owner hated it. I loved it. I think a perfect race where nothing went wrong would really be boring.
What I did like though, but it was sorta bad, was us getting 2 penalties at the start. They were simple ones, but reminded us of why we are there. To have fun.

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong

Re: 24 Hours of Hardships...

Amen Bill.  We had a hell of a time at NL, but I loved every minute of it.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Could not agree with you any more.  I had all those stresses, plus the team member that was the cage builder, truck, trailer and rv dropped out the thursday before, as I was going out the door to go to michigan for the week.  So I had to arrange that on the road.  But got it done, and had more fun than i can put into words.  Too bad about not going back there with Lemons.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I haven't done Lemons yet but I always say the same things to new BABE rally teams who think they need to have a perfectly reliable car for the rally.  It makes it very boring.
Its the hardships and the things that go wrong that become the best stories later, and really in the end I think most of us do this kind of stuff so we wont grow old without some good stories to tell.

Our normal 1 day trip home from the end of BABE took 4 days this year because our partner team's car wouldnt go more than 200 miles without breaking something new.  It was a long 4 days but every time things got really crappy and tensions were high we'd just find a hotel, break out the beer and laugh about it. 

This is why I like you Lemons folks, most of you seem to have the ability to laugh in the face of adversity.  That ability will ensure all of us live long enough to grow old and tell these great stories to generations to come.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

While I like things to go smoothly, we discovered that "winging" some stuff is better than trying to micro-plan. At our first race, we had pit signs that said everything from PIT to "YOU HAVE SOME SPINACH IN YOUR FRONT TOP TOOTH." In our second race, we just has a PIT sign, but neglected to tell our first driver where to look for it so he got a long stint.

Staying relaxed and upbeat is a key for me to have a good time. And, hey, the rain stopped just in time for the race!

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Bill is right it's not 24 hours if you don't have everything thrown at you.

During our first race the team next to us blew their engine after about 20 laps.
We just looked over and said "man that really sucks" and moved on. Our car finished the race with major overheating issues through the whole race. The next race we Blew our motor during test and tune, the comment as other teams walked by was the same "man that really sucks". I know now that "yes" racing the 24 Hours of Lemons really sucks. I also know that no matter how much it sucks there is always someone else having a worse time of it, be it rain, snow, mud, heat, blown engines or just really crappy luck. It is also in my opinion  the funnest time you can have on four wheels. So when we are at the track and we don't suck, we will always try and help those that do!

Racing sucks! but it's worth every penny!

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Our first true 24 hour race was in November in Portland with ChumpCar.  Wow, what a crazy crazy race.  We were forced to stop at about 4:30am due to extremely dense fog.  Somewhere around midnight we had some shift linkage problems which only allowed us 1st and 3rd gears.  We fought with a broken mounting bracket for a number of hours until someone found a MK1 DD in the parking lot.  We found the owner and begged / pleaded with him to let us steal the C-clip from his car.  We had it fixed by about 3am.  By this time, we were driving in the pouring down rain in the middle of the night.  Talk about adrenaline!

I hope to see some more 24 hour races on the docket in both series in the years to come.  Looks like my next 24 hour race will most likely be Spokane in July. sad

Our first race was Nelson Ledges. Our first problem was not starting the build until we were accepted. With my son doing BMX bike racing, I was out of town every other weekend, not to mention an infant at home. When we were trying to leave, the car trailer hitch broke off while on the truck. My son also broke my ignition key off in the door of my Suburban. On top of that, I pulled up to the PA turnpike tollbooth to a lane that was CLOSED, with a line of cars behind me, trailer and all. Mind you, I had no reverse in my Suburban at the time.

Once at the track, I could not find our pop up trailer that one of my team members had dropped off the day before. After circling the paddock for laps, I got totally soaked changing the receiver on the my son's Blazer in order to move the camper to a more suitable location, i.e out of the "lake", and then proceeded to set up camp. Nothing eventful happened the rest of Thursday.

Had a blast on Friday in the rain driving around the track, awaiting the arrival of the rest of my team. Until about 8:00 PM, when motor locked up in night practice. The next day is kind of a blur, with numerous wrenches and crankshafts strewn about the pit/paddock. After a botched drive to Summit with the incorrect parts, we finally got the right parts and welded everything back together. Had the van running just in time for the People's Curse.

Aside from all the troubles/setbacks, I had almost the most fun I have ever had in a vehicle. (Not counting high school of course) I would do it again in a heartbeat.  See you at Summit Point at the latest.

Dave

It Ain't My Fault

We are hoping to run the Spokane race in July, it's going to be HOT!

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

10 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-12-22 03:21 PM)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/12/shantytownq45.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/12/gloopycadilllac.jpg

You guys who have only raced at plush joints like MSR and CMP can recreate the Lamest Day experience by parking your car in the middle of the gloopiest, muddiest, most poorly drained dirt lot you can find... and then replacing the bearings in your transmission by the light of a particle-board campfire at midnight, while washing down stale generic corn chips with flat Natty Light.

In other words, a wonderful time was had by (nearly) all!

We really felt like we were kings when we had a large enough trailer to leave the cars on while doing the engine swap at NL. Sometimes it's the small things that make all the difference...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

That's one of the drawbacks of an enclosed trailer, or at least, a smallish (24') enclosed trailer. I'm sure one of the Ferrari/Porsche GT2 racers at CMP don't have problems working in their palatial 53-footers with lifts and AC... big_smile

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones