Topic: Preview of some great Lemons cars we'll see in 2010

http://cache-foo-09.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/12/500x_lemons_2010_preview-500px.jpg

Remember when I asked everyone to send me photos of their IOE-chasing Lemons projects for next year? Here's the result!

Re: Preview of some great Lemons cars we'll see in 2010

Shoot.  Looks like I emailed you my pics and write-up just a little too late.  Still, glad to see my Benz in there, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Marlin!  That car is just sexy as all hell!!!

Enjoy every sandwich.

Loved the Jalopnik article.. especially some of the comments, vis:

"I'm all for it as long as the cars truly stay within the price limit with a lot of home brewed ingenuity.
Having said that, I have previously expressed a similar sentiment to yours in the past about some of the cars with one-off specially created parts and full machine shops at the team's disposal. But I'm fine with having them in the series as long as true $500 crap can beaters are still allowed, and they still make up a large portion of the race field. "

Some people don't understand how much can be done with just a torch and a welder.  Oh, and beer, and determination bordering on obsession.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Imagine the evil beer fueled thoughts if you've got an aluminum foundry next to your garage wink

I happy to see the V12 Edsel is winning so far as "worst idea".

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

I'm so proud, I have a lump in my throat. Oh wait........It's just a shop rag. Cough...cough..ptewy. That's better.

Mike Sr.
Flying Edsels
Chicago Chapter #4

Gosh, I feel pretty pathetic being happy to just have the stock Citroen powerplant running and the suspension working at the start of the race.

So far the engine runs, and the suspension did work... until I started getting showered in high-pressure hydraulic fluid at the rate of about 3 qts a minute while the engine was running... Maybe I should rig a catch pan beneath the whole car that recaptures the fluid and has a transfer pump to put it back into the reservoir.

What could possibly go wrong?

Cadillac Bob wrote:

Loved the Jalopnik article.. especially some of the comments, vis:

"I'm all for it as long as the cars truly stay within the price limit with a lot of home brewed ingenuity.
Having said that, I have previously expressed a similar sentiment to yours in the past about some of the cars with one-off specially created parts and full machine shops at the team's disposal. But I'm fine with having them in the series as long as true $500 crap can beaters are still allowed, and they still make up a large portion of the race field. "

Some people don't understand how much can be done with just a torch and a welder.  Oh, and beer, and determination bordering on obsession.

That was me, and I still stand behind that statement. The Eyesore Miata and V8olvo are perfect examples of a cars with a tons of home brewed modifications and engineering that still obviously fall under budget. They're junkyard ingenuity at its best, and I give nothing but props for that.

But there have been some cars where the work done in my opinion would be next to impossible to be completed under budget, if only for the cost of raw materials. But I realize that Lemons is willing to overlook some of the dollar factor on cars like that in favor of the cool factor. And that's fine with me. Lemons has never set out to be a spec series. The overall wackiness of the cars and participants is the biggest appeal. I just want to make sure that teams with truly crappy stock cars can still make it into the race as long as they have a good theme.

Plus in my experience, the crazier cars with the most engineering are the most prone to failure. And in the end, I'm there to have fun out on the track, not win. I'd be utterly amazed if our team ever won.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

9 (edited by davisriley 2009-12-28 08:33 AM)

I love the comment that the LeCar wasn't even a real car to start.  True, so true.  But we will be there with it, just trying to turn laps.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Spank wrote:

Gosh, I feel pretty pathetic being happy to just have the stock Citroen powerplant running and the suspension working at the start of the race.

So far the engine runs, and the suspension did work... until I started getting showered in high-pressure hydraulic fluid at the rate of about 3 qts a minute while the engine was running... Maybe I should rig a catch pan beneath the whole car that recaptures the fluid and has a transfer pump to put it back into the reservoir.

What could possibly go wrong?

Nah,  nothing beats a Cit! - No way you are gonna keep that thing going though. Ditch the Hydro for some steel, and do a motor swap unless you want to have the "24 hours of wrenching on my Lemon" - Remember, Citroen is only one letter off of Citron! (Lemon)

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

LTDScott wrote:

That was me, and I still stand behind that statement. The Eyesore Miata and V8olvo are perfect examples of a cars with a tons of home brewed modifications and engineering that still obviously fall under budget. They're junkyard ingenuity at its best, and I give nothing but props for that.

But there have been some cars where the work done in my opinion would be next to impossible to be completed under budget, if only for the cost of raw materials. But I realize that Lemons is willing to overlook some of the dollar factor on cars like that in favor of the cool factor. And that's fine with me. Lemons has never set out to be a spec series. The overall wackiness of the cars and participants is the biggest appeal. I just want to make sure that teams with truly crappy stock cars can still make it into the race as long as they have a good theme.

My comment on Jalopnik was similar:

Speedycop wrote:

Lemons IS the ultimate budget-oriented racing series for truly fun endurance automotive competition. My biggest potential concern is the lessened financial accountability and subsequent penalties for any really cool old custom build. Can one buy running rolled Miatas and the like as drivetrain donors for basically the value of scrap? Yes, it's possible, I've scored numerous unreal deals too, but you gotta have a Leprechaun wedged up there sideways to do some of these builds under $500.

I understand wanting more really cool vintage-iron-turned-budget-racers, I'm part of that, remember? I just hate seeing the playing field become more and more uneven, based solely on the appearance of the car in question. A Jag V12-equipped Edsel is not gonna burn up the track, any more than my stock '61 Caddy did. Those aren't the types of builds I'm concerned with. It's the high-powered mid-engined sports-car-suspensioned IOE candidates that pose a threat to the rest of us in the IOE field. I'm not saying don't build them that way, by any means. I'm just saying keep them under budget, or penalize them accordingly.

If the IOE cars will continue to be judged in large part by on-track performance, as has been the pattern, they should also be judged very closely by their potential build cost, regardless of how cool they look. I don't wanna trailer a slow, heavy, ill-handling, 5-MPG-getting old pig halfway across the country to race against light, fast, vintage-based ringers if lap count is the biggest IOE criteria, and build costs are less scrutinized because the cars look totally awesome. Build 'em just as wicked as you possibly can...
...for $500.

If all it takes to win IOE in the future is a vintage car body and a cheaty powertrain/suspension, those of us doing the REAL $500 Lemons shade-tree IOE thing are screwed. As our illustrious leader Jay does tend to view lap count as a major Effluency criteria, it's up to Johnny and Phil to ensure the playing field is leveled as much as humanly possible. Gentlemen, you have your challenge...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

it was my understanding that IoE contenders need to be pretty bad cars, not good cars dressed up as bad cars.  if you want to bring a Trabant to Lemons, it shouold probably be an IoE contender.  if you bring a miata with a Trabant body, or a Trabant with a 4.6 Ford swap, it probably should not be an IoE contender.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

But what if you bring, say, a Fiero with a Prefect body?

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

lol.  that's crappy squared.  definite contender.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

big_smile

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

16 (edited by LTDScott 2009-12-28 12:37 PM)

Speedycop wrote:

If all it takes to win IOE in the future is a vintage car body and a cheaty powertrain/suspension, those of us doing the REAL $500 Lemons shade-tree IOE thing are screwed. As our illustrious leader Jay does tend to view lap count as a major Effluency criteria, it's up to Johnny and Phil to ensure the playing field is leveled as much as humanly possible. Gentlemen, you have your challenge...

Agreed. I wholeheartedly salute those who take the ridiculous angle and go for IoE, and I can certainly see your concern with high buck (ha) custom jobs taking the IoE win with little accountability for cost.

I will never be an IoE contender with my schiesse E30, but that was my choice. I wanted a car that can actually go decently quick around the track, but I have no delusions of overall win grandeur either. I'm there for the thrill and fun, not the win, so cheaty cars don't really affect me much. But I do feel for the IoE guys like yourself, and think the $$ spent on silly cars should be somewhat kept in check, thus my comment on the 'nik.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the budget should be ignored.. certainly not.   My point was simply that one person's perception of a "custom, one-off part" may be very different from another's, due to differences in ability and creativity.
For example, let's say that I want to run adjustable a-arms on my car.  If I buy them pre-made from a race parts supplier, that should count against the budget.  If I have my buddy carve them out of a block of billet titanium I "just had laying around" using his 5-axis CNC, that would be blatantly cheating.  But if I hack up the stock arm and graft in some used rod ends and a couple turnbuckles made on my WWII-vintage South Bend, I'd say that counts as just about zero cost (labor counts as free).
Only point being that there is an awful lot one can do for zero cost if they're creative.  I think we're all in agreement here, and if someone was offended I apologize.
--Bob

Most of these cars won't really qualify for the IOE, though all qualify for Organizer's Choice. There's no way in hell a late E30 will ever win IOE, regardless of Ranchero body parts. The Citroën, FrankenLemon, and Skoda, however, will have good shots at IOE glory.

ok this is perfect for my question...We are building the nash for 2010 season.  We realized this weekend that there is no real safe way to add the jeep transplant to this car because of the shape all the mounting  being fubar.  We were going to add the 4.0 with 2wd tranny and the jeep rear dana 35, but the factory rear is mounted by a torque tube link? I guess is what its called and the floor is pretty much gone with the body where we were going to mount the new cross members for the links. So with that said, we are exploring the options of adding a frame to the car(since it is uni body factory) using a s10 frame and suspension. I know its not a racecar chassis by any means but is this going to hurt our ioe shot? We can get a s10 for $400 and it still has the 4.3 v6 and auto trans that we basically already have sold to a guy for the price of the truck and scrap the body. We still plan on using the Jeep 4.0 and trans and rear end (cause we already have it).   Any thoughts?

TEAM RRT JOKER wrote:

we are exploring the options of adding a frame to the car(since it is uni body factory) using a s10 frame and suspension. I know its not a racecar chassis by any means but is this going to hurt our ioe shot?

The S10 chassis would be a lot safer, so go ahead and use it. As for the IOE, a Jeep-powered Nash on a truck chassis still qualifies.

MurileeMartin wrote:
TEAM RRT JOKER wrote:

we are exploring the options of adding a frame to the car(since it is uni body factory) using a s10 frame and suspension. I know its not a racecar chassis by any means but is this going to hurt our ioe shot?

The S10 chassis would be a lot safer, so go ahead and use it. As for the IOE, a Jeep-powered Nash on a truck chassis still qualifies.

SWEET!! Spirits back up...

MurileeMartin wrote:
TEAM RRT JOKER wrote:

That's IOE material, alright. Now, if you gutted said Nash to a shell, and then placed said shell over the chassis of a spec Miata that you "scored for $100 'cuz it rolled", then "ghettocharged" with a brand new ebay manifold and remanufactured "junkyard" turbo with some oily grime squirted on it for aging purposes, it'd be a different ball of wax.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

TEAM RRT JOKER wrote:

ok this is perfect for my question...We are building the nash for 2010 season.  We realized this weekend that there is no real safe way to add the jeep transplant to this car because of the shape all the mounting  being fubar.  We were going to add the 4.0 with 2wd tranny and the jeep rear dana 35, but the factory rear is mounted by a torque tube link? I guess is what its called and the floor is pretty much gone with the body where we were going to mount the new cross members for the links. So with that said, we are exploring the options of adding a frame to the car(since it is uni body factory) using a s10 frame and suspension. I know its not a racecar chassis by any means but is this going to hurt our ioe shot? We can get a s10 for $400 and it still has the 4.3 v6 and auto trans that we basically already have sold to a guy for the price of the truck and scrap the body. We still plan on using the Jeep 4.0 and trans and rear end (cause we already have it).   Any thoughts?

We're up against the same issues with the Marlin... luckily, our floors are good.  My take:  Since you're caging the car anyway, lay down a couple "dummy" frame rails under the car (2X3 tube should be plenty), tied in as best as possible to the unibody "frame" rails.. weld the crap out of everything underneath, then punch through the floor and tie the cage to the new rails, using outriggers if necessary.  This should strengthen both the cage and the new "frame" if done properly.  Out back, use the new rails as a mounting point for a ladder bar or 4-link and panhard bar or watts link.  Or, a triangulated 4-link might be a good option if the new rails are fairly close together.
This was our plan 'till we scored a dirt-cheap Jag rear, which is basically a modular suspension and therefore meets our laziness quota.  I don't think anyone would have a problem with this from an IOE perspective, and it's cheap.  Good luck!
--Bob

The Bavarian Ranchero makes me sad. We're also modifying (in a far less impressive way) our rolled e30 into a ute, probably debuting at T-Hill as well. Not only will there be a crap-ton of e30s, but there will be 2 utes. And we already cut off half the roof, so it's a little late...

Team Wienerschmoker

bh wrote:

The Bavarian Ranchero makes me sad. We're also modifying (in a far less impressive way) our rolled e30 into a ute, probably debuting at T-Hill as well. Not only will there be a crap-ton of e30s, but there will be 2 utes. And we already cut off half the roof, so it's a little late...

Just because you cut the top off doesn't mean it has to be turned into a pickup:  Just do something else with the back end.  I am sure the board would be happy to offer ideas.

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd