Topic: EVAP delete - pros and cons?

http://i.imgur.com/RTtmEEB.png

We have a bulky EVAP canister which is a bit in a way and we want to re-purposes the vacuum outlet for something more useful then EVAP. Are there any reasons not to do that?

How bad would be extra smell? Would it be during fueling or constantly?

Would be ruin the fuel tank pressure balance in any way?

The canister was made in 1993 anyway, I bet there is some extraterrestrial life inside it by now anyway.

Re: EVAP delete - pros and cons?

We disconnected ours in the first Civic we ran before we put in the fuel cell, and it made no difference whatsoever.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Sonic wrote:

We disconnected ours in the first Civic we ran before we put in the fuel cell

I think that would be pretty different - you've swapped the whole fuel tank, here I speak about leaving the OEM tank but eliminating EVAP.

russian wrote:
Sonic wrote:

I think that would be pretty different - you've swapped the whole fuel tank, here I speak about leaving the OEM tank but eliminating EVAP.

Both our crappy GM's had/have rotten Evap system everything.  On the Saturn, I just clamped the line above the high point of the FI system.

On my personal truck, the canister is intact but the lines are suspect while elbows are completely toast.  If you use stock everything in the fuel system, you primary risk is immediately after refueling if an of the in engine bay lines need to remain uncapped,  On very modern cars (ODII) the fuel system is completely closed such that without the vac on the canister having adequate restriction, you will likely throw a code.

russian wrote:
Sonic wrote:

That's what I meant.  We ran the stock tank for 2 seasons with the EVAP removed, so that was 2 seasons running like that before we put the fuel cell in.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Canister forward deleted on our 93 Mustang.

Yes, it has a code in the ECU for it.  No, we have not seen any performance issue.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

My one concern with EVAP delete is making sure that any line that goes to the tank gets sufficiently plugged to prevent roll over spillage.
Also, be sure that any vacuum to the EVAP system gets plugged.
Otherwise, it just throws a P-Code for OBD-II cars, with no loss in performance.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Basically, you need a vent line from the tank to the outside so when the pump drains the tank , it doesn't create a vacuum. The Charcoal canister filtered the gas fumes so that hydrocarbons didn't get to the outside world and create more pollution.

You can eliminate the canister and associated hardware, but you'll still need the vent line. To make it roll over proof, the vent line should be routed UP from the tank, probably about 1-2 feet, then routed down to below the tank bottom (by a foot or more if possible). This prevents gas from escaping in most roll over situations.

Because liquids will always flow to a equal level! So just draw your tank and vent line  on a piece of paper, use another small piece of paper (yellow stick on?) to model the gas level, and then evaluate as you rotate the drawing. You'll  see how it works or doesn't work.

Another way to prevent gas from escaping is to install a roll over valve, which closes if liquid fuel gets into the vent line. This works better when the car rolls over to 45 Deg, where the vent line is lower and some parts of the tank are higher, a potential leak situation. They are ~$20-50.

Sensors and ECU codes. Figure out what sensors are being used by the ECU to sense what is happening in the system. measure the voltage on the wires to and from the sensor and you should be able to figure out a way to bypass the sensor, either with a fixed resistor, or a short (jumper-ed) or an open (probably not since people mention getting ECU codes with them removed).  Or just leave it plugged in electrically, and disconnected physically.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Our gm we left it in because it is in a spot that is out of the way.  How it works in our car is that it is just connected to the vent so when the vent would open it would go there instead of just venting to the outside world.  When the cage was put in it actually burnt through the vent hose from the back to front of car and we never noticed any gas smell so I'm guessing it would be horrible if you got rid of it, you just would be venting to the outside like the cars before they started doing this.  That of course depends on how well your vent works and if it still works properly incase of a roll over.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

We routed our evap lines and fuel vent to a catch can.  Works great as long as you loop the lines from teh fuel tank.  WE didn't at first and filled the catchcan with fuel.

Not Sweet.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

Make sure that all lines to and from the fuel tank are accounted for: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=17386

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

The evap system is essentially your fuel tank vent.  So as long as ya reroute the vent line so it meets with the rules, youll be fine.  Ya dont wanna completely plug it or youll find ya may have a hard time refueling.