Topic: Auxiliary cooling

I'm thinking about digging a Mercedes oil cooler from the junkyard and plumbing it in (somehow, my thinking hasn't gotten that far yet) to the oil system, and putting it where the AC condenser now lives (in the Brava, the rad and condenser are side by side, and the condenser has its own fan).  But does oil cooling have any advantages over auxiliary water cooling? should I just try to increase radiating capacity instead?

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Re: Auxiliary cooling

We put as many coolers on our car as we could get.  We had a friend parting out an 80's cop car Diplomat and got the oil and power steering cooler out of it.  We have a giant power steering cooler out of an F-350 pickup that came out of a wrecked truck that keeps our tranny nice and cool.  You can never have enough cooling in a race.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

A Fiat Brava....dude, how'd I miss that?! Sweet!

A lot of teams swear by adding an oil cooler, and I don't have any experience with that so I can't really comment. I will say, however, that 99.9% of the cooling problems that happen in a Lemons race are because the radiator is inadequate.

In our crappy Alfa Spider, we have a Honda radiator mounted on the trunk with no fan. As long as the car is moving, the thing stays ice cold. Previously, we had a re-cored stock Alfa unit with a fan and we were always running hot. Moral: Use Honda parts on your Italian car wherever possible, especially when it comes to the cooling system. If there's any way for you to fit a cheap radiator from a more modern car in your Brava, do that instead of messing around with an oil cooler.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

A Fiat Brava....dude, how'd I miss that?! Sweet!

A lot of teams swear by adding an oil cooler, and I don't have any experience with that so I can't really comment. I will say, however, that 99.9% of the cooling problems that happen in a Lemons race are because the radiator is inadequate.

In our crappy Alfa Spider, we have a Honda radiator mounted on the trunk with no fan. As long as the car is moving, the thing stays ice cold. Previously, we had a re-cored stock Alfa unit with a fan and we were always running hot. Moral: Use Honda parts on your Italian car wherever possible, especially when it comes to the cooling system. If there's any way for you to fit a cheap radiator from a more modern car in your Brava, do that instead of messing around with an oil cooler.

Was that the really exploded looking Alfa Spider with fins? that was rejected as a parts car? that was so awesome.

(and right as I typed that, the radio switched songs and "Awesome" by Veruca Salt started playing.  freeeeeaky....)

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

You'll find pretty good oil coolers in Mazda RX-7s and turbocharged Volvos at the junkyard as well. The Volvo coolers have nice long hoses, too.

Also, you might consider going with a much-bigger-than-stock radiator. Just start a-hackin' at sheet metal until there's room! I'm a big fan of the Benz W126 radiator.

rocketresto wrote:

We put as many coolers on our car as we could get.

Listen to the man.  Can't have too many fluid coolers for all your fluids.  Focus on Radiator and Oil coolers, and put them in places they'll get clean air.

At Reno we of Team Pontihack owned aux cooling with our wart-like roof mounted rad....seriously, unless you're air cooled like a Corvair, oil cooling is not as effective as water cooling.....but if you have the oil cooler, put it in....unless your mill is somehow turbo'd or supercharged, adding more water cooling is the way to go...even a large heater core can reject a surprising amount of heat in the airstream....in all my race engines going back 30 years, I always gutted the thermostat core (leaving the outer ring) to prevent ugly stuck 'stat, blown head gasket issues...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
Fiero #15 @ Reno-Fernley

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

8 (edited by dculberson 2009-06-02 06:35 AM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

Also, you might consider going with a much-bigger-than-stock radiator. Just start a-hackin' at sheet metal until there's room! I'm a big fan of the Benz W126 radiator.

The front of our car looks like a radiator is 3/4 done eating a CRX.

Edit: I forgot to add: and it still blew a head gasket, but that was bad cooling system design.  (air bubbles!  my only weakness!  how did you know??)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

jimeditorial wrote:

At Reno we of Team Pontihack owned aux cooling with our wart-like roof mounted rad....seriously, unless you're air cooled like a Corvair, oil cooling is not as effective as water cooling.....but if you have the oil cooler, put it in....unless your mill is somehow turbo'd or supercharged, adding more water cooling is the way to go...even a large heater core can reject a surprising amount of heat in the airstream....in all my race engines going back 30 years, I always gutted the thermostat core (leaving the outer ring) to prevent ugly stuck 'stat, blown head gasket issues...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
Fiero #15 @ Reno-Fernley

Water cooling and oil cooling are both highly important, but are not directly related. You won't see much impact on your temperature gauge if you put a better oil cooler in. You probably will see an impact on your bearings (or, more acctuarely, you WON'T see impact on your bearings).

We got a Volvo 240 Turbo oil cooler on half price day for $8 ($7 + $1 core charge). The long oil lines were an additional $4 each, and the oil filter mount sandwich plate that Volvos use to feed their oil cooler was FREE (cashier didn't notice it on the end of the lines, cha-ching!)

2nd gen RX-7 coolers are bigger/better, but Volvo gives you the whole solution with lines and a sandwich plate. The Volvo cooler is a really high-quality Mocal part.

-Dave

We use a SAAB oil cooler.  Bought from some junky for $20 with all the lines  You can find ANYTHING on craigslist

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachments/engine-conversions/130862d1234614675-8v-2l-twin-charged-my-little-project-oil-cooler-saab_2_1.jpg