Topic: Worst Automotive Smell?

Open poll: what's the worst smell that a race car auto-generates? I'm not talking about when one of your co-drivers uses the driver's seat as their own personal bathroom or rips one as they're working on the car. This is about car smells only.

My personal worst smell is that smell that burned oil gets when you've blown the motor and you crack the crankcase and the smell just comes flooding out and you know that the motor is shot. Toasted oil smell. Plus then it's usually followed closely by the sound of burning all the money in your wallet for the next motor.

I haven't blown a transmission or diff (yet) but I'd bet the smell of toasted transmission or gear oil is even worse.

What's your vote for worst auto smell?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Re: Worst Automotive Smell?

Mulry wrote:

I haven't blown a transmission or diff (yet) but I'd bet the smell of toasted transmission or gear oil is even worse.

I think it is a toss-up between those two.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Old BMC hydrolastic fluid.

I bought a '72 Austin 1300 that hadn't run. Ever. Literally was a brand new car from 1972. I proceed to cut through one of the suspension hoses, thinking "This car has been sitting for over 40 years. No way it will still be pressurized!"

Wrong. It sprayed EVERYWHERE. In my mouth, eyes, hair... the ceiling was dripping for the next week. What does it smell like?

Get wasted on cheap chardonnay, throw up, and pass out. That stale wine-vomit taste that will be in your mouth the next morning? That's the smell of old hydrolastic fluid.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

4 (edited by TheEngineer 2015-03-18 11:52 AM)

Not 100% automotive related, but the decaying smell of the plastic handles on old tools. Screwdrivers mostly. I don't know what it is, but they smell terrible and instantly make me picture my grandfather's toolbox.

I can deal with burnt oil. But old, burnt grease on the other hand is not ok. And it sticks with you, literally.

best taste? Coolant (ones without a bittering agent anyway). Long story that involves my now long gone 924S.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

5 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2015-03-18 12:31 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Not 100% automotive related, but the decaying smell of the plastic handles on old tools. Screwdrivers mostly. I don't know what it is, but they smell terrible and instantly make me picture my grandfather's toolbox.

Every time I get a whiff of a Craftsman, all I can think of is feet and toes (mostly toes).

The smell of burning 55 year old GM body panel sealant is right up there (not as bad as dog farts but close).

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

6 (edited by OnkelUdo 2015-03-18 12:38 PM)

Ancient hydraulic fluid from Cat D5 that has been in Iraq since probably the first one rolled off the line in the 1940's...and then never maintained.  We had one in Ramadi that a local contractor brought in and both primary rams seeped.  I was parked 15' from my hooch at night and I would loose my sense of smell until I had been of that camp for a couple days.

No, the worst automotive smell is the odor inside an RV at Pick-N-Pull. RVs always go to the junkyard with full sewage tanks. And dirty syringes littering the floor.

Old old old rear end lube with LSD additive is some pretty repulsive stuff.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

TheEngineer wrote:

Oh god, is that where that smell comes from? That actually makes me feel better. I found a toolbox at the house where I used to live full of old screwdrivers. I could have sworn someone had taken a shit in the box.

FPRbuzz wrote:

Old old old rear end lube with LSD additive is some pretty repulsive stuff.

that.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Judge Phil wrote:

No, the worst automotive smell is the odor inside an RV at Pick-N-Pull. RVs always go to the junkyard with full sewage tanks. And dirty syringes littering the floor.

Don't forget its refrigerator which hasn't had power for many months.
NEVER open such a refrigerator!

The final owner of an RV is always a junkie. An incontinent, morbidly obese junkie, who eats half-price knockwurst from the Dollar Store and rubs his orifices all over the latches of the engine cover, so that you need to dip your hands in fuming nitric acid after pulling an RV engine.

None of those are even close...

Worst smell is 30 year old fish oil in the forks of old Japanese motorcycles. Put you on your knees every time.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

SpaceFrank wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Oh god, is that where that smell comes from? That actually makes me feel better. I found a toolbox at the house where I used to live full of old screwdrivers. I could have sworn someone had taken a shit in the box.

I had no idea either.  I often keep soldering gear and various chemicals/sealants/etc in my tool boxes, and have always wondered what it was that started stinking after a time, and never narrowed it down.  Decaying plastic never even entered my mind, I've practically grown up with that smell.  LOL

Transmission fluid is one that I just can't stand the smell of, burnt or otherwise.

It's odd, but the various odors is actually something I've always loved about getting to the track, the smell of burnt rubber, the various exhaust fumes with varying degrees of oil/antifreeze mixed in, burned out clutches, the asphalt....  I'm normally not an early riser (EVER!), but when camping at the track, it's great getting up right as the sun starts to come up, breathing in that track air and watching the golden sunlight begin to illuminate everything, there's definitely something magical about it.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

My wife says it is the inside of a Harbor Freight store.

mhrir wrote:

Worst smell is 30 year old fish oil in the forks of old Japanese motorcycles. Put you on your knees every time.

Nope...smelled it many a time and the ancient hydraulic fluid baking for 70+ years in the 118f heat. It is a close second but after it hits air it goes away in about 3-5 days.  I still smell that hydraulic fluid in my nightmares.

FPRbuzz wrote:

Old old old rear end lube with LSD is some pretty repulsive stuff.

Sounds like the worst rave ever...

Silversleeves Racing https://www.facebook.com/groups/487324281329732
Ford/Lotus Cortina #41, Austin Mini #42, MG1100 #44, Barbie's Corvette #44, Mazda Miata #48, Austin 1800 #49

swindrum wrote:
FPRbuzz wrote:

Old old old rear end lube with LSD is some pretty repulsive stuff.

Sounds like the worst rave ever...

Last time I ever go to a rager with Rick Santorum...

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

Judge phills stuff almost made me puke just reading it.  I think that wins.

The worst I've personally smelled was the burnt plastic, melted spark plug boots, and scorched motor oil when our head gasket blew and driver didn't know until it was too late. Wow that stunk.

Team Sheen Integra and Mirada.
Every Gingerman & Autobahn since 7-2011

OnkelUdo wrote:
mhrir wrote:

Nope...smelled it many a time and the ancient hydraulic fluid baking for 70+ years in the 118f heat. It is a close second but after it hits air it goes away in about 3-5 days.  I still smell that hydraulic fluid in my nightmares.

I'll put the organic fluid used from the factory in British lever-arm shocks up against anything.  When you unscrew the little plug that's been in place for 50 years and let the smell out it's almost immediately following by vomiting.  The two together (depending on what came back up) trump any bad smell I've ever experienced, automotive or otherwise.

Jamie Palmer  tr6driver@yahoo.com
Austin Powerless Racing  '75 Austin Marina, 44th/IOE Summit Point '13, 35th/1st Class C CMP Fall '13, 23rd/3rd Class C CMP Spring '14, 83rd/14th Class C CMP Fall '14 (blown engine/swapped mid-race to finish), 3rd Class C CMP Spring '15, 2nd Class C CMP Fall '15
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-Po … 3187341573

21 (edited by Mulry 2015-03-19 07:36 AM)

Several of the individual responses gave me a solid LOL, and an array of more-bizarre-than-usual looks from my wife and daughters. It looks like the responses fall into three basic categories:

• Ancient hydraulic/shock oil

• Transmission/Gear oil

• Harbor Freight cosmoline-like substance

Here's a survey if you want to cast a non-official official vote:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7SZRTJX

Vote now or forever keep your peace!

PS While Phil's observation is certainly valid, olfactorily speaking, it is not technically within the ambit of the original question, in that the question excluded from consideration the emissions from the persons who operate the vehicle. Decaying plastic handles on tools are also technically disqualified as not being a smell self-generated by a race car, although that's an interesting phenomenon that deserves further inquiry. Thanks for playing!

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I remember working on Fiats in the 80's. The wheel bearing grease seemed to have fish oil in it. You would pull off the dust cap & the shop would just reek of it.

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

CowDriver wrote:

My wife says it is the inside of a Harbor Freight store.

harbor freight smells like victory... I  associate that smell with buying the wrong tool, cheap, and resolving some issue with it. So what if some folks think their supply chain is China's way to dispose of nuclear waste?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I bought a small flatbed dolly there last September or October for use at the office. The only cosmoline on the thing was on the wheel bearings. I wiped them down when I pulled it out of the box and the thing still smells damn awful. I wonder if HF "cosmoline" is really just rancid raccoon fat.

http://diyford.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2101.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs