Re: Worst Automotive Smell?

Maybe it's just me, but the thing that I really hate is the smell of really old gasoline from a car that hasn't been run in 10-20 years. Whenever I drain a gas tank on an old junker, that smell sticks around the shop for days and gives me a headache whenever I'm around it..

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Speedycop, myself, and a few others disassembled the completely-fried transmission in the '63 Thunderbird we raced at Gingerman in 2010 at trackside, so we could weld it up into a single-speed. Long story, but needless to say, that 50-year old Ford ATF that had been completely smoked and was blacker than roofing tar was the worst thing that any of the five of us, with a combined nearly 200 years of experience working on not-new cars, had ever smelled.
It was so bad we actually threw away the clothes we were wearing while working on it, because it would not come out.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

I had to find and resurrect this thread because I now have a new referent for bad car smells.

Used nose-drive gear oil from an Eaton M90 supercharger. It smells like rotten poop. Or as my friend and teammate puts it, it smells like someone tried to make toilet wine out of move theater popcorn butter. I have no idea how this smell can possibly result from the oil or the place it's used.

That fake theater butter smell in a gear oil form. Ewwww!

In other car smell news, I found out recently AC Delco has a gear oil that could bring new odor horribleness to your car. It is grape scented. Really. Seriously. Imagine what old diff oil would smell like with some well baked fakey fruit fragrance included.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41VrGILRTML.jpg

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).