Topic: Another stupid idea rally

It's like they made the rally just to taunt Sasha to drive from Chicago to Miami

http://www.choptopchallenge.com/index.html

Re: Another stupid idea rally

And, if you read their rules, YOU GET 500 EXTRA POINTS IF YOU USE YOUR Lemons Car!!!
Who are these nuts...?

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Oh hell, this was tailor-made for Alex. I wonder if it is possible to start with one car then as you cross into each successive state, procure other cars along the route, of course chopping their tops off as well.  Could with his Lemons mini van, then buy a previa, then a full size van... He'd clean up on points.

This is...calling me, strangely.

I love how helmets aren't required for "A1A Beachfront Avenue" since it's actually a pretty heavily traveled street on South Beach. Ocean Ave is much better for crawling.

1) fly into o'hare on 3/31 in the AM
2) procure suitably unappreciated hooptie before sundown
3) drive hooptie to Walmart to pick up cheap-ass sweatshirts and a reciprocating saw
4) apply saw to hooptie that night
5) rally
6) crash the Dan Lebatard Show at the Clevelander on SoBe; seriously, we'd probably get on the show...
7) über to MIA (or home in my case)

Zero fail here.

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

I see myself.... doing this in a gutted, chop top, stretch limo....and sleeping in the back, along the way....in a tent...in rest areas....cooking meals out of the trunk....this is tempting....ROAD TRIP!!!!

If only ther were a Lemons race in Miami on the 5th!

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

1. Post on facebook.
2. Tag sasha
3. ????
4. Profit!

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

sooooooooo tempting, my friends all say this is nuts. Means this is the greatest adventure ever. they just jealous!

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

MZAVARIN wrote:

I see myself.... doing this in a gutted, chop top, stretch limo....and sleeping in the back, along the way....in a tent...in rest areas....cooking meals out of the trunk....this is tempting....ROAD TRIP!!!!

Where do I sign? Let's paint the sucker like a crappy-ass ambulance, line the back with Kerlex and 4x4s, a decapitated zombie mannequin and a cooler full of blood orange martinis.

Head of Estate

Hmmmm
- Buy a one way ticket to Chicago
- Go on ebay and pick a car (how would I buy it and store it ahead of time....?)
- Pack a Sawzall in my luggage and fly in on Thursday, March 31, in time for the send off party.
- Fix the car....that is, saw away!!!!
- Take off on Friday and drive till Monday..ROAD TRIP!!!!   What could go wrong???
- Party on Monday in Miami and go to the awards ceremony on Monday night, April 4
- Fly back

This maybe just what I need....
I'm seriously considering doing this....

Imagine, driving all the way from Chicago to Miami, and not a single complaint about flatus....we could eat beans all the way to Miami!!

The only problem I see is getting/buying the car in Chicago...for the race...since I'm on the East coast...

Mike Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah, I think we would need a friendly Chicago-based idiot to help us out on the car allocation since I'm all the way down in South Florida myself.

Soooooo....anyone reading this in the greater Chi-town area want to help find/store/tolerate a suitable POS for this noblest of causes?

Head of Estate

doctordel wrote:

Yeah, I think we would need a friendly Chicago-based idiot to help us out on the car allocation since I'm all the way down in South Florida myself.

Soooooo....anyone reading this in the greater Chi-town area want to help find/store/tolerate a suitable POS for this noblest of causes?

What was the timing...I likely have to say no but curious regardless.

A team member of mine moved from Chicago area a year ago to NJ, and drove Lemons up there...(The "mad" Russian)...he may be able to help out...I'll inquire....
.I'm going to try to get those days off from work tomorrow...

If we had a decapitated, zombie mannequin in the back, we could probable use the car-pool lane!!!!

This insanity may actually materialize....

I am going to try to get those days off, as well, make sure the partners can cover.

3/30-4/4.

Head of Estate

his isn’t a cannonball run. The last thing we want is people chopping the top off crappy old civics and then driving 120mph and crashing into a tree or a truck or falling off a cliff or something.  So in order to make it competitive, and tons of fun, each team will earn points through challenges and deduct points from other teams with attack challenges.  The list of challenges will not be given until the day of the road rally, so teams will have to strategize on the fly.  The following is a list of pre-event points that you and your team might care about though:

First to Miami = 700 pts

Second Place = 600 pts
Third Place = 500 pts
Finish by Sunday 8PM = 400 pts
Finish Monday after 12PM = Lose All Your Points
Crush your car in Miami = 200 pts
Solo Trip = 500 pts
Every team member greater than stock seats (must have a seat and seatbelt still) = 100 pts each
Minivan = 500 pts
Toyota Previa = 600 pts
Full size van = 600 pts
Majestic converted full size van = 700 pts
Retail Cost 50K+ = 500 pts
CRX = 500pts
Carbureted = 200 pts
Delorean = minus 5000 pts
12 cylinder = 200 pts
School Bus = 800 pts
Lemons car (must weld roof back on at end of event) = 500 pts
Pre-1960s vehicle = 300 pts
Best theme = 300 pt

just thinking big_smile

This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

So, full size van and minivans have relatively low cowls, compared to seating position, right? So driving sans windshield would suck suck suck in those unless we fashioned/riveted/stapled/hooptified some sort of deflector, right?

Solo isn't totally OOTFQ for me, but a team would be more funner.

I wish there was a unicorn sitting in the Venn overlap of pre-1960 and MSRP >50k but I'm not too hopeful...

I've got it! Find a running but otherwise hopeless s600 (v12) at the very bottom of its depreciation curve (msrp over 50k), hack off the top (never offered as a factory 'vert), theme it out as Richard Pryor's Saab from "Moving" (awesome obscure movie reference) and haul ass (safely) to Miami to finish first.

4. PROFIT!

Head of Estate

Looks like I'll be able to have that long weekend off  Thurs. 3/31- Tue. 4/5....but I may need to work the overnight on Wed. 3/30 to 3/31 am...but I could always catch a flight to Chicago after my night shift, sleep on the plane, and get there Thurs. 3/31 am

For those that want more info:

http://www.choptopchallenge.com/index.html

I personally have no preference for cars...depends on what you could get for cheap...but a stretch limo would be cool....
And I would not want to do this alone.  I would want at least one co-pilot...otherwise, it would depend on how many people you could fit in a school bus....

I wonder what you would need to get it registered and insured....?  And how to dispose of it in short order once you arrive in Miami....

I can have it off, also.

Finding a stretch limo would be...I think "awesome" is not hyperbole. I think that finding the car up there and prepping it on-site is the way to go. There are several logistical options for locating and prepping the car but the one that would work best would be to have someone in the area who could scout out local CL or classified for the car, figure out what it would take to get it worthy for the trip and then find someplace to stash it until the rally. Prep can be done within a few hours with a sawzall and a welder and some judicious trips to Walmart.

As for disposal...not a problem in Miami. At all.

So, anyone else out there want to try this thing and see if your cheeks can truly freeze to your ears at speed? At the very least, you'll have two co-drivers who can treat your frostbite during the trip and your sciatica in Miami when it's over...

Head of Estate

no suffering and paint no gain smile

20 (edited by chaase 2016-01-14 08:16 AM)

The Rover would be interesting to try this out on. The roof of the car completely unbolts, it is how we got the cage in so tight,  and we could remove the lexan windshield without incident. The car would still be race worthy for NJMP.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

21 (edited by doctordel 2016-01-14 09:14 AM)

@chaase: are you interested in doing this thing? I don't know how many in the Lemons community are planning on participating so I am going to presume that this thread is the best way to gauge interest and headhunt for any potential team. A Lemons car that's already caged would definitely be the safest structurally but most of these cars only have one seat and it's not the cozy throne they left the factory with. Since speeds likely will be low the risk of rollover should be reasonably low as well (right?), making a street car likely the more l comfortable option, especially if we could get a roll hoop installed...

Anyone reading this who is interested in/planning on running this rally, please PM me and we can coordinate the details either through this thread or offline. I'm trolling CL Chicago starting today.

Head of Estate

I'm not sure this is a very good idea, or wise decision....so I'm IN....99% sure
Looking at flights, I can be in Chicago around noon-ish on Thursday....my overnight shift finishes around 7:30am...

I'm going to contact some potential connections in Chicago area for possible help in getting a vehicle....

Getting a stretch limo...may be a stretch though....but I'll also look around

Or maybe get a pick up truck, cut the top off, and put a cab-over camper shell in the bed in the back...?  What is that going to look like???!!!

MZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It'll look like a parachute! At least until the wind pulls the thing clean off the bed side rails... Leaving the hatch open would be an absolute necessity I'd think.

So this is happening.

Head of Estate

doctordel wrote:

@chaase: are you interested in doing this thing? I don't know how many in the Lemons community are planning on participating so I am going to presume that this thread is the best way to gauge interest and headhunt for any potential team. .

Somewhat interested but not sure I really have time for it. I'll bounce if off the team to see if the interest level but we are pretty busy with our Elmo replacement build.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Looks like there is a little interest out there for this ....whatever it is....  So far, looks like doctordel and kakarot are in with me, but we were thinking maybe having 4 people.  Right now, we're thinking land yacht, or similar larger car, for approx. $500-1000, plus $100 entry fee for the car, maybe $150 in fuel for the trip...

1) Anyone else interested in going to Miami?

2) Chicago help?  I'm guessing we would need someone in the Chicago area to help us out...we would need to send them $$ to pick up a car we would want to buy off CL, maybe in early March, and keep it for us for 3 or 4 weeks, and we would arrive to pick it up March 31.

Unless any of you in the Chicago area want to unload a crap car on us, we could just buy it off you, instead of trolling CL.  We're not too particular....

Mike ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ