Re: The new rules and how its killing Lemons...

Nick i ask you why is it that a SCCA spec cage from autopower no longer eligible for Lemons? why is it that the guys who went through the trouble the first time of doing things right are now being forced to make an EXPENSIVE change to a pro built roll cage with continuous tubing and 360* welds? grandfather clause or not your making it very hard to convince people to continue racing a car that was built right last year but doesn't come up to snuff this year.

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator
1991 Ponticrap OnFirebird
Racing a Camaro/Firebird at Lemons is a box full of fail, thats why we do it.

Voice--Without knowing your car's specifics, I can't give any details on how your "2008" Lemons car will need to be modified to meet the new rules. Since your car was good in '08, I'd be optimistic that any investment to bring it up to snuff will be relatively small (of course, I'm a naturally optimistic guy...hence the Alfa Lemons car). If you have pix and specific concerns, I'd be happy to look at what you've got and offer advice on how to proceed. To keep the clutter down, you can email me at npon@driversdoor.com.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

If you built a car to the current Lemons rules, I don't see why you couldn't use that car for years of competition.

But, as a competitor, there are no guarentees of even getting accepted to any races so you might build a car for nothing.  Sure there are things that you can do to stack the odds, but when it comes right down to it - you are asking your teammates for money and time and because someone fuked up the application no one gets to drive.  And don't say it doesn't happen - I know of at least one team that built a car and wasn't accepted.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

29 (edited by RobL 2009-06-02 11:02 AM)

Nick, Voice is referring to the new rollcage specs that were released.  The way they were written have, in essence, mandated that most, if not all, roll cages need to be rebuilt. 

In this thread in post 22 is how the new rules affect cage design - http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 14&p=1

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

If you built a car to the current Lemons rules, I don't see why you couldn't use that car for years of competition.

But, as a competitor, there are no guarentees of even getting accepted to any races so you might build a car for nothing.  Sure there are things that you can do to stack the odds, but when it comes right down to it - you are asking your teammates for money and time and because someone fuked up the application no one gets to drive.  And don't say it doesn't happen - I know of at least one team that built a car and wasn't accepted.

The safest way to proceed is to wait until you're accepted to start building. (Actually, the safest way to proceed would be to bring a Renault Fuego Turbo and have all the team members dress as Napoleon. It's not a secret; that will result in virtually GUARANTEED entry, so don't say that I didn't tell 'ya how to do it.)

Yes, that crunches your build time down, but it is possible to create a Lemons car in ten weeks. If you decide to get a headstart, you indeed do expose yourself to the risk of not getting accepted. I'm not sure how to respond to that except for "that's life." But as a footnote, while we have had guys build a car and then not get accepted, we have had those same guys come back with a better team concept and get in the next time around.

So...rather than put out some information on what's acceptable/what's not, we should all send you photos for a pre-tech "tech" on our cages?  If that's what you want, I guess we can all do that. {scratches head}

I have a cage that survived a roll completely intact, no damage to the driver or cage whatsoever, but now that cage may not be good enough?  Is that cage legal for SC in September?  It was legal in April. 

I also wonder now if a bolt in spec Miata cage, which is perfectly fine for SCCA spec miata racing, is not "up to snuff" to participate in a Lemons race.  If that's the case, we cannot build the car for a Lemons race.  We already have the cage.  sad 

Maybe you and Jay need to rethink the rules a little bit.  I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but seriously-maybe you made a mistake.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Personally, I don't think Jay, Nick, et al are sitting around bored wondering how to subsidize the roll cage industry. Much of the new rules seem to be there for our protection (and theirs).

As a team who took a large hit the other weekend in Reno, I have no complaints whatsoever about tightening and fine tuning the safety requirements.

I also agree with others that these measures are in place not only to keep us safe but to keep Lemons in existence. We live in the most litigious country in the world. When someone can sue you because they broke their tooth on an olive pit in a salad you served them and then they WIN (true story), we should all take note.

Do I want to spend the time and effort to make these changes? No. Do I accept that it is necessary in order to keep us physically safe and the Lemons event safe from bloodthirsty lawyers? Yes.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Sharkbait-other sanctioning bodies have the same issues the Lemons series faces, yet the Lemons series has roll cage rules which far surpass those required by other series with much fast tracks and cars.  That's the beef here.  All of us want to be safe, but it doesn't take a front continuous hoop to accomplish that.  There should be some flexibility here. 

Grandfather clauses are nice, but we just built a cage for a car for Stafford and that car hadn't run before.  Does it get "grandfathered" in?  We have no money left to tear out the cage and rebuild it from scratch.  sad  And it is plenty safe the way it was constructed.  It might be the best cage I've seen, double door bars already in place, extra bracing, etc.

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Way to make a rule change in the middle of a season.  People are spending a shitload of money to build cars and show up to events.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Nick posted in the other thread.  I think most cages employ one of the three allowed designs, s that should make a lot of people relieved.  Thanks Nick. 

P.S. change your written rules to match!

36 (edited by mjfassio 2009-06-02 12:12 PM)

We have no money left to tear out the cage and rebuild it from scratch.

I too am concerned about the change in verbiage about the roll cage specifications. We purchased an Autopower bolt-in cage for our Camaro for the explicit reason that none of us are certified/competent welders and did not want to take a chance when it came to our safety.

The configuration of the bolt-in model only provides 1 door bar for both the driver and passenger sides and does not give you the option of installing a second door bar unless you weld it in. Since our car is A) not licensed or registered with the DMV and B) does not have any DOT approved safety gear installed, the new rule requires us to rent a truck and trailer and hire a professional welder to weld in a second door bar?

Just for comparison sake, the truck and trailer rental to get to Reno was one of our largest expenses, second only to the roll cage.

Stuntman Mike
I Wanna Roc

Jer, yes the cage rules have been rewritten on the main rules page to clarify.

The reason I asked for specifics on Voice's cage was because I don't want to make any assumptions about "SCCA legal" specs without having the specific cages you're referencing in front of me. The folks that have sent me pix of Autopower cages so far have shown that the only real issue is the single door bar (the front hoop language has been clarified, please see the sticky at the top of Lemons Tech).

We apologize for the mid-season rules change, but Lemons is in effect a year-round thing and we saw little reason to wait to implement safety improvements. We're aware that New Orleans and New England cars have already been built, so these rules do not take effect until the Buttonwillow race. If you built a car to '08 specs for New Orleans or New England, chances are that you won't need major changes to race it the next time. The folks that have contacted me privately are facing relatively minor modifications.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

We aren't trying to make the most dangerous race ever, we're trying to make the safest and yet most accessible race ever.

Very well put Nick.  We will continue to come back, until we are no longer able

I fully support the new rules.  I glanced down once at the end of the strait at Reno and I was just barely hitting 100mph before late braking into turn 2.  Paradoxically, I felt safer at Reno than I did dealing with chicanes placed next to concrete walls at Thunderhill.  However, if you're dealing with triple digit speeds, you should rethink things like harness mounts and cages.

Dying sucks and I think you should do everything reasonable to avoid it.  Even though I could barely afford it, I coughed up a bunch of money for a HANS.  I did it because even though it's fun racing, I'd rather not die while doing it.  I've got a lot of other things going on in my life that I didn't want to risk for a weekend in the desert.  So I'd rather not race at all than to race unsafe.

The only thing I don't like about the tech process is the uncertainty.  I showed up to Reno expecting to fly through tech, only to be cited for problems with the factory seat belt mounts that passed tech at every race since Altamont '07.  If there's going to be a change in standards, Friday afternoon before a race is not the time to find out about it.  It's not that expensive to make the changes, but with short notice everyone tries to figure out how to fool the inspectors rather than make their car actually safer.  Finding out a few months before Buttonwillow is more acceptable, and I'm glad they're being published now.

Team Formula BMW
#23 Pink Pig

gmatus wrote:

The only thing I don't like about the tech process is the uncertainty.  I showed up to Reno expecting to fly through tech, only to be cited for problems with the factory seat belt mounts that passed tech at every race since Altamont '07.  If there's going to be a change in standards, Friday afternoon before a race is not the time to find out about it.

I completely agree, and this is a problem we're aware of. A big challenge for us is that we get the majority of tech inspectors from the area surrounding the track--in other words, we don't travel with the same squad everywhere. This inevitably creates variance from event to event--our goal is of course to have everything be the same, but there are occasionally things that slip through the cracks. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it that we do our best to train the tech guys to a single set of standards. Hopefully, we're improving in this regard.

Rob Stercraw wrote:

being as our car didn't have a speedometer (much less any gauges at all) and didnt last very long we have only guesses but anyone know for sure what top speed the faster cars were hitting at Reno?

I'd be suprised if they weren't hitting at least 80 on that long front stretch...

Our car had the OEM tire diameter (FWIW) and our speedo claimed that we were *just* hitting 100 at the end of the esses if we braked as late as possible.  Some cars were a little faster than us.

gmatus wrote:

The only thing I don't like about the tech process is the uncertainty.  I showed up to Reno expecting to fly through tech, only to be cited for problems with the factory seat belt mounts that passed tech at every race since Altamont '07.  If there's going to be a change in standards, Friday afternoon before a race is not the time to find out about it.  It's not that expensive to make the changes, but with short notice everyone tries to figure out how to fool the inspectors rather than make their car actually safer.  Finding out a few months before Buttonwillow is more acceptable, and I'm glad they're being published now.

Agreed. I was only a helper/spectator at the Reno race so I hung around the tech/judging area for a while and found a lot of people failing tech for things that weren't officially in the rule book. One example that stood out in my mind is seat braces. There was talk of seat braces on this board before the race but no requirement, yet the team I was helping failed for this.

I'm all for safety but at least let us know if you're going to change things BEFORE we get the track rather than changing rules on the fly. I think I am going to take photos of our whole harness/cage/seat set up and email to Nick for approval before going to any future races.

Gmatus, what specifically did you fail for regarding the seat belts? Since you have an E30 I'd like to learn from your mistakes.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Plus, as the Lemons series has grown, we have made a concerted effort to reduce the demo-derby aspect that was present at some of the early races. This was done primarily to increase safety, but it has also made the initial investment of building a Lemons car much longer-lasting. If you built a car to the current Lemons rules, I don't see why you couldn't use that car for years of competition. In the old days, you'd spend less, but potentially throw the car away after a single race.

Nick, I understand that some rules-creep may be inevitable over time, but from our perspective it's hard not to be paranoid.  Almost all race series start out with simple rules and evolve into quagmires over time.  These latest changes sure LOOK like creep for creep's sake and not for making a truly better/safer race.  But if you guys are truly committed to keeping Lemons obtainable for the average guy, then I will be tickled to race in it as long as I have a pulse (although *that* isn't specifically required...yet!).

Hell, I'll even kiss your's and Jay's boots like in this photo if that's what it takes to keep the series going!  Just don't wear these costumes, OK?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/05/Penalties_Humiliation-804px.jpg

OverStimulated wrote:

may be inevitable over time, but from our perspective it's hard not to be paranoid.  Almost all race series start out with simple rules and evolve into quagmires over time.  These latest changes sure LOOK like creep for creep's sake and not for making a truly better/safer race.  But if you guys are truly committed to keeping Lemons obtainable for the average guy, then I will be tickled to race in it as long as I have a pulse (although *that* isn't specifically required...yet!).

Hell, I'll even kiss your's and Jay's boots like in this photo if that's what it takes to keep the series going!  Just don't wear these costumes, OK?

+1 bud. now that i see the rules have been updated i'm no longer so adamant about my position. you guys have the right idea making it safer so long as you don't send the price into the stratosphere. When i read continuous tubing first thoughts in my mind were $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator
1991 Ponticrap OnFirebird
Racing a Camaro/Firebird at Lemons is a box full of fail, thats why we do it.

Rob Stercraw wrote:

being as our car didn't have a speedometer (much less any gauges at all) and didnt last very long we have only guesses but anyone know for sure what top speed the faster cars were hitting at Reno?

I'd be suprised if they weren't hitting at least 80 on that long front stretch...

I saw 92 in the caddy just before the 180 turn at the end of the front stretch...one of the other guys driving said he saw triple digits.  70-80 on the sunset strip...

OverStimulated wrote:

Our car had the OEM tire diameter (FWIW) and our speedo claimed that we were *just* hitting 100 at the end of the esses if we braked as late as possible.  Some cars were a little faster than us.

According to my home made telemetry which measures speed via GPS, our top speed for all of the Reno race was 100.9MPH and it was in the esses. Average top speed per green flag lap was between 90-95MPH but we flirted with triple digits on at least a couple of laps.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Voice Of Reason wrote:
OverStimulated wrote:

may be inevitable over time, but from our perspective it's hard not to be paranoid.  Almost all race series start out with simple rules and evolve into quagmires over time.  These latest changes sure LOOK like creep for creep's sake and not for making a truly better/safer race.  But if you guys are truly committed to keeping Lemons obtainable for the average guy, then I will be tickled to race in it as long as I have a pulse (although *that* isn't specifically required...yet!).

+1 bud. now that i see the rules have been updated i'm no longer so adamant about my position. you guys have the right idea making it safer so long as you don't send the price into the stratosphere. When i read continuous tubing first thoughts in my mind were $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Believe me I understand where you guys are coming from. Hell, my team needs to update our car to meet the new rules as well. For what it's worth, while most of the concern/paranoia seems to come from visions of having to rip out everything you've spent good money on and start from scratch, to my knowledge that's never really happened.

There have been instances of cages being built improperly (bad design, materials, assembly) that have required extensive reconstruction, but cages that were CORRECTLY built to an earlier spec typically should not require much work to bring it up to the current standard. The single-door-bar Autopower cage is a good example--it's a well-built unit, and adding a second door bar to it shouldn't be particularly difficult or expensive. (No less difficult or expensive than changing those fried rod bearings, anyway.)

The moral is, if you've met the rules thus far, you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping pace with the latest round of changes. (Now, if we had decided to mandate DOM tubing, that would have been another story....)

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

(Now, if we had decided to mandate DOM tubing, that would have been another story....)

Don't even joke.... sad  I cringe at that thought...

Although, it would be a great excuse to build another, more non-traditional car

I have been part of the series since Thunderhill 07, and what has been gnawing at me time and time again as the rules are updated and updated is very simple:

A Lemons car can no longer be reasonably built in your driveway with a sawzall and cordless drill.

We are at a point now that without highly specialized skills and equipment, a decent shop with decent tools, and/or a lot of money putting together a Lemons car - competitive or not - is unattainable. 

AND, there's no two ways about it, these rules have increased the cost of building a car from scratch.  There's simply more stuff to buy.  If you're a new driver the cost of the stuff you wear to sit in the car is daunting.  This is not such a big deal really, but it is going to have one very negative side effect - people are much, much less likely to bring odd ball unreliable cars.

If I've put $4500 in prep into a car, I"m not going to choose a Renault Fuego.  It's going to fail, and with it my investment.  'throw away' cars will become a thing of 'way back when' stories, which it too bad.  It may be necessary, but it's too bad.  Because there's two Fuegos in Portland for $999.... just sayin....

Nick (and Jay if he keeps up with this) - you guys are doing a hell of a job trying to hold this thing together here.  We all recognize you guys started this as a whim and it's blown up in your faces.  I hope everyone knows that while we all go to three races at most, you guys do this all over the country 10 (?) times a year, and have to deal with planning it not just building a car and showing up to race.  But the fears of this turning into an over-regulated spec-ish race are real to us racers, and probably pretty founded based on what has happened to other popular race series in the past.

I guess my point is this - these latest rules are neither unreasonable nor uncalled for.  It does not seem to me any of the rule changes have been overwhelming.  But, taken as a whole over a fairly short period of time (2ish years), this has gone from a hack it together in your driveway as best you can for the fun of it race, to a very, very serious undertaking.  While I'm still playing with the idea of building a third Lemons car, I don't think building the next one will be near as much fun as the last two have been because I'll be too worried about messing up my $500 car.  And that doesn't make any sense.

troubleonwheels wrote:

While I'm still playing with the idea of building a third Lemons car, I don't think building the next one will be near as much fun as the last two have been because I'll be too worried about messing up my $500 car.  And that doesn't make any sense.

Cars don't crash into each other anywhere near as often as they did in the early "demolition derby" Lemons races, which means a car should last a lot longer these days. Unless you're running a 4AGZE or other high-buck mill, all engines cost about the same at the junkyard, and I've learned from my endless research for Project Car Hell that parts cars for Fuegos, Fiat Spiders, Midgets, and other oddballs can be had for next to nothing.

And in practice the "oddball" cars don't really break down any more frequently than the so-called dependable ones; for example, the five or so Alfa Milanos we've seen have all finished their races, while >50% of Camaros and >75% of Hondas end up in the pits with their guts strewn on the ground and their teams flailing away with the wrenches. Toyotas blow up. BMWs blow up. Mustangs blow up. Taurus SHOs always blow up.

So, yes, I agree that it sucks that the race's success means that safety rules get stricter all the time, and that initial build costs have gone up as a result. However, I don't agree that this process will result in the race becoming the dreaded E30 Miata Challenge, with teams fearful of driving anything that doesn't have a jillion spec racers selling their used parts.