Topic: Head & Neck Restraint

Looking to see what the best Head & Neck Restraint that other teams and drivers would recommend. . Looking to purchase 2 or 3 so trying to get it right... Thanks Lemons Community

Re: Head & Neck Restraint

Back when we upgraded from neck doughnuts, the Hans systems were still under patent and (nearly) prohibitively expensive, so we went with Simpson Pro Rage systems.  Price was pretty decent.  We haven't had to "test" them yet, so I can't testify to that aspect, but they are SFI and FIA certified.  They have since been discontinued, and I think the Hybrid Sport is the replacement.

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

I use the LFT / Simpson R3. After Simpson purchased LFT, they now sell the Hybrid which is similar in concept.

I like this style of head and neck restraint because it does not rely on belts to function. It works equally well with a 5 point harness as it did with a 3 point seat belt.
Back when I purchased it in 2007, I recall looking at the comparisons between the R3 and HANS in both frontal and side impacts. The R3 performed better.

The biggest complaint people have with the Hybrid and R3 devices is that they appear uncomfortable. After running mine in formula cars and multi hour stints in Lemons, I can tell you that it is as unnoticeable as any other head and neck restraint.

As far as performance goes, I was wearing my R3 when I hit a wall at Sears point in my formula car. Did it save my life? Who knows. But I had no soreness in my neck after. Only bruised shins and chest.

I use an older but updated Safety Solutions R3 as well.  On some seats with thin or no padding, it can be uncomfortable in the mid/upper back.  Rambler has a basic ultrashield type seat and it started to bother me after 2 hrs.  Simpson converted mine to sliding tether a couple years ago and that made it much better although the sliding can be balky at times.  Dunno what they cost now but they used to be among the most expensive.  Those are all the drawbacks.  The absolutely huge upside is that it is belt independant.  If your belts loosen or slide off the device, its still gonna work.  Its not the most common device and at one race, the Chump staff wouldnt let me on track with it.  Had to put someone else in the car while I showed them it was a 38.1 device.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)