Topic: Hell on wheels rally

Who is signing up for this.  Looks like a wonderful way to explore all the wonders left on the side of the roads while fixing our fine rides.

Duck it racing #97

Re: Hell on wheels rally

I have just submitted my application. I'd intended to drive down for the Concours d'Lemons anyway, so this is ideal.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

I have just submitted my application. I'd intended to drive down for the Concours d'Lemons anyway, so this is ideal.

How will you be able to choose which vehicle to bring?  I didn't see a requirement for four wheels.

-Robb

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

4 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-03-24 01:58 PM)

The week before PNW? Would love to drive the red Corvair, but probably won't be sleeping that week.

Here's a link to some easy points, don't forget the VW running gear!

http://kitcarlinks.com/ukmakers.htm

If only I had my 302 powered VW bug still.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

5 (edited by mharrell 2016-03-24 07:30 PM)

rb92673 wrote:

How will you be able to choose which vehicle to bring?

The rules mention Japanese, German, Italian, French, English, and Warsaw Pact vehicles, so I'm planning to go Dutch.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

6 (edited by fleming95 2016-03-24 02:56 PM)

Lemons back to its roots, eh? smile

Sounds like it's perfect for those of us who long for the 'balmy' climate of summer Buttonwillow races. . .

And, thus, it's time toto BRING OUT THE K!

Fly out buy this no need for hotels.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5494961475.html

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:

Fly out buy this no need for hotels.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5494961475.html

And make meth at every overnight to finance buying an Aztek to race....

Pretty sure I'll be grabbing the GB bonus points and enter our Jag. Our warm toasty black on black Jag. Any other usual suspects going on this fools errand?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

As cheap as it to smog and plate a car here, I'm seriously debating making our Camaro legal for this after I put the new engine in it. I'm sure it'll be an absolute shit show, so why not do it in the worst thing possible? Besides, I've always been a glutton for punishment, and haven't done anything stupid for a while.

Comfortable cars, and AC are for power tour.

I signed up, paid up and booked rooms. I'm sure I will regret this decision somewhere in Nevada when the bottom of my race seat is filling with butt sweat.

I just submitted my application, waiting on approval.   1961 bel-air 4door land boat, 2 inches off the ground, havnt started it in over 6 years..  what could possibly go wrong?

FreeRangeTexan wrote:

...and booked rooms.

I wish I could justify such a degree of confidence.

I'm not banned from this. Highly considering it pending work/medical OK.

Just...what the crap should I bring?! I'd love to bring the 'lump, but it's been a bit too stripped down and I'm not sure I want to put it back together. I guess I need to find another turrible Volkswagen product.

Would be nice to know the daily schedule/hoped for stopping points. I'd love to enter the Speedster (VW-based), But coming from Phoenix, AZ. It's terrifying enough to contemplate the drive back from Monterrey, but to drive out ahead of time as well? Oh, who am I kidding, I would love that part, it's the 10 days off of work that are  gonna be tough.

If I know I could meet the group in the Sierras (for example) on day 2, I will likely do do this.

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

On second thought, Monterey is only a 10 or 11 hour drive from Phoenix. Hmmmmmmm. Now to convince my wife that this will be "fun", rather than "idiotic".

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

Nightly stops are Fallon, Vegas, Bakersfield, Santa Cruz. Route is unbeknownst to me. Feel free to draft behind the Jag all the way to Phx afterward if you like. We're in...

yodogg wrote:

On second thought, Monterey is only a 10 or 11 hour drive from Phoenix. Hmmmmmmm. Now to convince my wife that this will be "fun", rather than "idiotic".

Depends on the wife, I guess. Mrs. type44 is the one who convinced me into it...

yodogg wrote:

But coming from Phoenix, AZ. It's terrifying enough to contemplate the drive back from Monterrey, but to drive out ahead of time as well? Oh, who am I kidding, I would love that part....

My plan is to drive from, and then back to, Seattle for this. Come on, it'll be idiotic and fun!

Oh man oh man oh man oh man. BRING THIS SPEEDSTER.

There's a Trabant on eBay, but they want too much. Womp womp wooooooomp.

Stef: I am thinking about doing this one. Maybe we can team up. (presuming that as it is a rally, you need a driver/navigator team)

I am working on replacing the Saturn with another daily driver that should be LeMony enough, but still be reliable to get through Death Valley without the "Death" part coming into play.

I think someone already called dibs on my passenger seat, heh.

Okay, plans have changed! Our first Lemons event was suppose to be with our "Hersamino" at PNW this August but once we heard about the rally we totally changed our plans.

Finally we found an event we can take our Hamster to ! Payment sent and we're in !

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr122/KamloopPirate/2015-06-06_12-59-05_HDR_zpsz0pizn1g.jpg

We know she is not as epic as some of the rides we have seen from Lemons but with the added drive from Canada we're sure it will be a memorable adventure !

DawgStrip

DawgStrip wrote:

Finally we found an event we can take our Hamster to ! Payment sent and we're in !

Outstanding! I assume you don't have anything as superfluous as a top for that fine ride? It's not likely to rain much anyway.

Cars that violate Lemons' usual wheelbase rules are okay here, right?