Re: Hell on wheels rally

mharrell wrote:

I assume you don't have anything as superfluous as a top for that fine ride? It's not likely to rain much anyway.

Thanks! No roof at this time. We have been forced to drive the Hamster through long term rain fall before. At highway speeds you don't get "too wet" . The lack of shade does make heat stroke a concern...  We might be looking into rag top fabrication.

DawgStrip

ninjacoco wrote:

Cars that violate Lemons' usual wheelbase rules are okay here, right?

According to the rules, it doesn't even have to be a car, just "any street-legal vehicle." If you can plate it and insure it, you're good to go.

Still, I suspect Neighborhood Electric Vehicles would probably run into difficulties with various CA and NV laws about highway use, should you care.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

DawgStrip wrote:

The lack of shade does make heat stroke a concern...  We might be looking into rag top fabrication.

There are other options.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HHhZDpifvVQ/TQUBKQjzRXI/AAAAAAAAAe0/0TcRF-N13IQ/s1600/Hats55%2BUmbrella%2BHat.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

There are other options.

Dam good Idea! Thanks to impulse e-Bay purchasing those have now been ordered !

Wind speed might be an interesting factor on these. If you see an umbrella hat in the middle of the road, please watch for the Hamster in the ditch...

DawgStrip

https://www.facebook.com/dadsplaceinmacomb

This is a no brainier.

This space for rent.

mharrell wrote:
ninjacoco wrote:

Cars that violate Lemons' usual wheelbase rules are okay here, right?

According to the rules, it doesn't even have to be a car, just "any street-legal vehicle." If you can plate it and insure it, you're good to go.

Still, I suspect Neighborhood Electric Vehicles would probably run into difficulties with various CA and NV laws about highway use, should you care.

Excellent. Down with the fascist prohibition against the people's most perfect lemon!

My wife and I are in.  Not sure about car.  Possibly a '74 Jag XJ12L if it has any reasonable chance of going 1500 miles.  Oh, and little things like a title.  Otherwise, trading out comfort (I'm sure the Jag AC works) for reliability (all it needs is some front end, carb, exhaust and electrical work), a VW Thing, themed with a suitable Florida theme for cruising through the desert.

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014

DO IT! The rally needs more Jags. Besides ours. This isn't the one from Phoenix, is it?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Indeed it is.  We were out there for our daughter's wedding and when the ad showed up, I was 8.8 miles away from it.  The engine wasn't seized and it wasn't more rust than steel, so at $250, I couldn't resist.

So far, I have found:
1. Black widows that hitched a ride from AZ.  Nuked.
2. No spark.  Big surprise.  Possibly because there is power to the electronic ignition with the key off, but not with the key on.

If we do it, I'm considering adding a couple of spare radiators on the hood to maybe possibly keep it from overheating.  Mounted tastefully in Spitfire-esque radiator nacelles, of course.

Formula None

How do you know if you are in the Matrix?

I went home for lunch yesterday to check on the wife who was not feeling well. As I am eating she asked, "There is a Lincoln Continental for $600 on CL, do you want to rally it?"

Whoa. Deja Vu.

When I get home from work, she has a mental list of cars that she would like me to look at.

Was it the same cat?

The conversation ends with her formulating the idea that we should go down to 82nd (Portland's used car mecca) and just pick a car off the lot and rally it.

It means they changed something.

She wants to do this even with PNW the following weekend.

THEY HAVE MORPHEUS!!!

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

36 (edited by sah298 2016-04-05 10:24 AM)

You might be thinking of Inception. Is your top still spinning?

My wife suggested we do this instead of going to Ireland.  Cat, top, something's up with the structure of the universe.

Formula None

37 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-04-05 11:33 AM)

He's already pulled over! He can't pull over any farther.

Might have her on the hook for a Roadmaster wagon.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

Yeah, well, I raised the power antenna on the XJ-8 and intercepted the broadcast headed your way.

You know full well that the only appropriate steed for this, especially considering your talents, is a big cat from Coventry. Since 12s and 8s are already in play, the Big Cat in the Sky is going to point you toward a six. Thought you might want to be forewarned. smile

39 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-04-05 07:57 PM)

Type44 wrote:
CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

Yeah, well, I raised the power antenna on the XJ-8 and intercepted the broadcast headed your way.

You know full well that the only appropriate steed for this, especially considering your talents, is a big cat from Coventry. Since 12s and 8s are already in play, the Big Cat in the Sky is going to point you toward a six. Thought you might want to be forewarned. smile

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5517522604.html

She already said no.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5511208652.html

And no again.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5521969057.html

And no for good measure.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5486094936.html

You really want to sleep on the couch, don't you?

Try this one:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/5528203544.html

We have an abundance of road worthy cars to choose from for this grand adventure.  I (Amanda) will most likely opt for the big blue bus no AC but self contained and i'm thinking of bring a tow bar to help friends in need.  The other options are a 2008 smart, a 76 australian clubman van, or michael suggests scubby.  Anyone want to take scrubby or the smart?

Amanda

PS michael is sitting this one out.  I'll be traveling with his mom, Virginia

DawgStrip wrote:
mharrell wrote:

I assume you don't have anything as superfluous as a top for that fine ride? It's not likely to rain much anyway.

Thanks! No roof at this time. We have been forced to drive the Hamster through long term rain fall before. At highway speeds you don't get "too wet" . The lack of shade does make heat stroke a concern...  We might be looking into rag top fabrication.

DawgStrip

you might want to ask spark pete about how much water can get in the car at highway speed and the value of a rain/sun proof top

43 (edited by Type44 2016-04-18 08:42 PM)

crazymike wrote:

We have an abundance of road worthy cars to choose from for this grand adventure.  I (Amanda) will most likely opt for the big blue bus no AC but self contained and i'm thinking of bring a tow bar to help friends in need.  The other options are a 2008 smart, a 76 australian clubman van, or michael suggests scubby.  Anyone want to take scrubby or the smart?

Amanda

PS michael is sitting this one out.  I'll be traveling with his mom, Virginia

I'd say bring the bus, but you've got real competition in the SWB dept if you brought the smart... How does it stack up next to the Dawgstrip entry- I think of it as the Fstva smile

Hopefully the rally uses Old Priest Grade road on the way to Yosemite.

crazymike wrote:

you might want to ask spark pete about how much water can get in the car at highway speed and the value of a rain/sun proof top

Ah, the Extraordinarily Stupid Road Trip. The rain begins in Part 4 and really gets going in Part 5:

http://atomictoasters.com/2012/08/extra … 93-part-4/

or, starting from the beginning....

http://atomictoasters.com/2012/08/extra … -part-one/

Ok rookie question... Is a passenger required?

I don't think I have any friends stupid/smart enough to take two weeks off of work and school to drive across death valley in an old rambler powered Jeep in August.

47 (edited by T0ASTERvan 2016-04-23 12:36 PM)

The Perfect Road Kill episode devoted to the rally:

1) Scout the used cars/trucks for sale in CA at or near where the even is going to be held
2) Fly, walk or run to CA (if needed)
3) Buy the car/truck unseen
4) Have the car check and oil changed
5) Check-in to hotel and await further instructions for the rally.
6) Grab the directions and wing it.. and don't forget to Pray

Those of you that have seen the route - what's the on-road/off-road ratio here? Any gravel or rough terrain?

How bad would the points deduction be for showing up with a daily beater that I'd be sleeping in the back of?

Laminar wrote:

Those of you that have seen the route - what's the on-road/off-road ratio here? Any gravel or rough terrain?

My understanding is that it's all pavement, at least if there are any unpacked segments... I'll be rerouting to use paved routes. I'm not gravel-staging 4100 lbs of Jaguar. Even I have my limits of foolishness.