76 (edited by tomicdesu 2016-07-23 11:13 PM)

Re: Hell on wheels rally

x

Oh boy. We're in. Apparently my codriver sweet-talked our way into borrowing someone else's racecar, which everyone knows *always* ends well. Have not seen/touched/smelled/etc. it, which probably means we're going to sweat our balls off and die in the desert.

I think my codriver and I both somehow sent in a registration for the same car, so how do I cancel mine? His was funnier.

tl;dr--PREPARE FOR THE FLUFFINESS. And mad props to the Jaaaaaag team for naming a car "Fluffy 2."

ninjacoco wrote:

... And mad props to the Jaaaaaag team for naming a car "Fluffy 2."

We had to.  Our race XJ12 is named Fluffy so it seemed only natural that our parts XJ12 would be Fluffy 2.  They'll both be at Thunderhill this weekend.

<--------- That's my Fluffy. The bunny. (The cuddliest!)

ninjacoco wrote:

Oh boy. We're in. Apparently my codriver sweet-talked our way into borrowing someone else's racecar, which everyone knows *always* ends well. Have not seen/touched/smelled/etc. it, which probably means we're going to sweat our balls off and die in the desert.

It is always best to have a second person to back up your stories of near-death experiences, or to confirm how you tragically died.

I will be driving the Super Snipe solo, as I can't convince anyone that it is a good idea to spend five days in a non-air conditioned P.O.S. car going through Death Valley in August.   I think that means they are more sane than I am.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and the puffalump(s).

"You don't get smarter as you get older.   There is just less stupid stuff left that you haven't already done."

Alan

BTW, Jay says that there are now 60 cars signed up.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

60 cars...fun fun fun! I was wondering how many idiots they could find.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

that's a decent number. we can start a cult, or if we have enough money, a church.

83 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-08-07 10:05 AM)

If you need to play musical driver/codriver for some aircon time, I just found out we might have a swamp cooler in the Beetle. Thou shalt not beach a Super Snipe in the desert because of dehydration, woe and SPACE MADNESS.

Cmon, he's driven the Snipe at Buttonwillow in June, simply forgoing the racing suit will make that thing seem cool as a fridge, right? :0

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

85 (edited by CowDriver 2016-08-07 05:49 PM)

Two of my friends have, for many years, been following my Lemons activities, travels to unusual places, antics such as riding on the front of a steam locomotive and on top of a boxcar in Ecuador, and so forth.   They have gotten used to it all.   But after describing the Lemons Hell Rally to them, they have declared that I have officially entered... The Tyson Zone.

This is a term coined by sportswriter Bill Simmons to "honor" heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson.   This is the point at which a person's behavior becomes so insane and bizarre, that there is literally nothing they could do that would any longer shock or surprise you.   No matter what you hear about them, no matter how absurd, it is immediately assumed to be true.

To have reached this point, I feel that I must be living my life the right way.   Life is too short to take seriously.

CowDriver wrote:

BTW, Jay says that there are now 60 cars signed up.

Yes, but how many have paid...

I signed up, but I do not think I can make it, nor have I paid.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

A poor unsuspecting '84 Honda Accord at Pick Your Part (40% off sale!) has donated its passenger seat and seat belt to the Super Snipe.   I've got everything installed and it looks great.   Now all I need is someone to fill it.   For some reason, all my friends have suddenly become unavailable next week.   One friend went so far as to move to Oregon.

Perhaps I'll find a hitchhiking space alien somewhere near Area 51.