Topic: Pandering to Judge Phil on this one...

So Team Bad Decisions has a new project that is very clearly pandering to Judge Phil's taste.
http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/onkeludo/1948%20Plymouth.jpg
http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/onkeludo/1948%20Plymouth%20interior.jpg
This is a complete car (except the oil filled front shocks) but the true definition of a "basket case" as my truck bed was FULL from all the parts including the freshly rebuilt (30 years ago) and never re-installed 218 flat head 6.  It is just rough enough that no one in their right minds would restore it but very structurally sound.

Unlike Phil, we are hoping to run it initially with stock engine and 3-on-the-tree manual transmission.  Brakes and suspension will be dealt with along with a likely change in rear end gearing to up the usable top speed.

Look for it at a track near you (if you are in the Midwest Region) some time in 2017.  If we get really busy, might be offered as a judgemobile for the Anniversary race at Gingerman...but that one might be a bit of a stretch.

Re: Pandering to Judge Phil on this one...

Shit, now I wish I hadn't tossed out all the suspension and brake parts from mine. The good news is that it shares just about everything mechanical with most 1940s Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Desoto products.

And if it still has side glass and window regulators, I will buy those from you.

Judge Phil wrote:

Shit, now I wish I hadn't tossed out all the suspension and brake parts from mine. The good news is that it shares just about everything mechanical with most 1940s Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Desoto products.

And if it still has side glass and window regulators, I will buy those from you.

We can talk at Gingerman...assuming you are coming.

The stock suspension is complete (less those front shocks we have no intention of using anyway) but an extra set of front spindles would have been nice.

Mostly I am trying to figure out what car in our arensal needs the "Super De Luxe" badges.

Excellent choice. It doesn't look like too much of a basket case. I'm impressed at the condition of the interior, the steering wheel specifically. In the event that the flathead six goes six feet under, what are you considering for a replacement?

dale.furno wrote:

Excellent choice. It doesn't look like too much of a basket case. I'm impressed at the condition of the interior, the steering wheel specifically. In the event that the flathead six goes six feet under, what are you considering for a replacement?

Basket case used to mean the motorcycle (or car) came mostly in multiple bushel baskets...that is an accurate description of the mechanicals.  Interior is near mint but I would bet we are not going to get much for it since about 2 million of these things were sold.

What it gets re-powered with is up for debate, assuming we do something really stupid like supercharge the flatty, it is not question of if...just when.  The fully dressed motor is about 450#'s, makes 85-95 hp and about 170 lb ft of torque at 1200 RPMS.  There are significant packaging challenges due to the steering box location and the narrowness of the front of the engine bay.  I would like to do something along the lines of modern'ish straight 6 (jeep 4.0, pre-Vanos BMW, Ford 300) but I think almost all the team wants to do a small block V8 (one is insisting we find a way to wedge in a big block).  The car is not really that heavy so even doubling the horsepower would make it very, very quick.

There is a flathead upgrade path where you can end up with about 115 hp, 200+ lb ft of torque and only about 15#'s added weight but I doubt that will appease the general need for speed long term...and it is not cheap.

I'm sure Phil can help you out with all the details of his straight 6 swap.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

You need to 2JZ swap it! Then easy turbo upgrade path from there. OK, maybe "need" isn't the right word, but ..

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I might be interested in the door panels, too. I am missing a few trim pieces (e.g., LH side below quarter window, RH front door) and will buy them if you can spare them.

Judge Phil wrote:

I might be interested in the door panels, too. I am missing a few trim pieces (e.g., LH side below quarter window, RH front door) and will buy them if you can spare them.

Door panels are a no-brainer...you are welcome to them.  Glass and regulators have to be discussed with the co-owner as we actually plan to street drive it pretty often.

Temporarily we will likely install the spare U-van seats with integrated belts in the rear and my spare Volvo 940 seats in the front. if we can figure out seat belts.  As soon as we have a second racing seat we can install that for the driver.

dculberson wrote:

You need to 2JZ swap it! Then easy turbo upgrade path from there. OK, maybe "need" isn't the right word, but ..

Oh, the thought crossed my mind but I KNOW I will get vetoed on that one.

I have the rear glass and the quarter glass, and am planning on having the rest of the glass custom-made, since they're all flat pieces and that won't be too expensive.

I have the radio from mine, and maybe it even works (though that's unlikely after 48 years sitting outside at 6,000 feet with no glass in the car). You can have it if you want vintage tunes.

Judge Phil wrote:

I have the rear glass and the quarter glass, and am planning on having the rest of the glass custom-made, since they're all flat pieces and that won't be too expensive.

All ours is all intact and I suspect the regulators work being garaged for the last 30+ years.  Just a question of if we want to compromise the daily driver status that much or not.

Love the 4 wing windows and cowl vent.

Needs a "modern" straight 5

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Well, I'll pay pretty well for the door glass and regulators, but I get that you'd want them for street driving.

Judge Phil wrote:

Well, I'll pay pretty well for the door glass and regulators, but I get that you'd want them for street racing.

FTFY

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Turbo diesel!

As mopar product, needs a 1st gen Hemi, perferably an oddball size like a 331 or 345.  S/F....Ken M

18 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-05-10 06:06 AM)

echosixmike wrote:

As mopar product, needs a 1st gen Hemi, perferably an oddball size like a 331 or 345.  S/F....Ken M

Really, the fact that is a Mopar is supposed to encourage us to use Mopar drivetrain...oddly, I thought is was the opposite way around.  I mean, now that every Tom, Dick and Harry, has a slant six, we have to figure something else out.

FPRbuzz wrote:

Needs a "modern" straight 5

Chevy Colorado straight five with AR-5  transmission would likely fit with perhaps some trans tunnel massaging.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

OnkelUdo wrote:
echosixmike wrote:

Really, the fact that is a Mopar is supposed to encourage us to use Mopar drivetrain...oddly, I thought is was the opposite way around.  I mean, now that every Tom, Dick and Harry, has a slant six, we have to figure something else out.

I was shooting for the innovation aspect: has there been a 1st gen hemi in Lemons yet?  How about a 318 Poly?  International Harvester "Diamond" series inline 6?  Ford MEL?  S/F....Ken M

Diamond Star Motors time. 4g63 and fwd would be hilarious.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

mitsubishi astron engine makes it hemi and keeps it mopar...

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

FPRbuzz wrote:

There is nothing in this world that could make me do this...I can think of little that would be less reliable unless it is a Simca in the hands of Soggy as team captain.

OnkelUdo wrote:
FPRbuzz wrote:

There is nothing in this world that could make me do this...I can think of little that would be less reliable unless it is a Simca in the hands of Soggy as team captain.

I've got a G63B with a 5 speed from a Mitsu pickup you can have. Comes with a rebuild kit.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

At least try to run the flathead once, if possible. The Grumpy Cat '50 Dodge has done OK with a Chrysler flathead six.