Re: Ideas for Vintage Ford or AMC Entry - Houston, San Antonio?

peridotracing wrote:

Be a man.

Maverick Grabber

Maverick would work.  Pretty light at 2500 lbs, too.

Here's a cheap one, but too many doors - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-/231 … 1942445123

Thanks

27 (edited by bulletpruf 2016-05-18 10:05 AM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:

I'd do a Torino (or fairlane fastback) 68-72 BUT late 70's Zephyrs and Fairmonts are Fox body's so parts would be plentiful and cheap.

Fairmonts and Zephyr's would be the smart move.  But lacking the vintage or cool factor, so not really interested.

Judge Phil wrote:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/thebiglebowski/images/9/93/I004920.jpg

If you did a perfect replica of The Dude's Torino, we'd be less likely to notice a nice engine.

4 door Torino with a twin turbo LS motor FTW! wink

bulletpruf wrote:

but too many doors

Why?

bulletpruf wrote:

Looks like 2 tons of fun!  I'm an LSU grad, so I can really appreciate the purple and gold paint scheme, too!  Guessing it has a 460 in it; I'm quite familiar with those -- had Fairlanes with a 429 and a 514.

Anyway, I'd love to do something like that at some point, but want to start out with something a tad (read: a LOT) lighter.

Thanks

Scott

460 bored 60 over, so a 472.  Yeah, it's pretty fun dusting off 4 bangers on the straights.  We've also apparently stumbled into the cheapest powerplant per pound ever made; my local craigslist is littered with running 460's for $500 and under every day.  I picked up a 30k mile RV engine with a C6 for $400.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

The aforementioned ruining
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc368/buzzboy7/DSC00755.jpg

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

OnkelUdo wrote:
bulletpruf wrote:

but too many doors

Why?

If I'm going to go through the trouble of finding a lightweight car, I might as well pick one that doesn't have the added weight of two additional doors.

thanks

mechimike wrote:
bulletpruf wrote:

Looks like 2 tons of fun!  I'm an LSU grad, so I can really appreciate the purple and gold paint scheme, too!  Guessing it has a 460 in it; I'm quite familiar with those -- had Fairlanes with a 429 and a 514.

Anyway, I'd love to do something like that at some point, but want to start out with something a tad (read: a LOT) lighter.

Thanks

Scott

460 bored 60 over, so a 472.  Yeah, it's pretty fun dusting off 4 bangers on the straights.  We've also apparently stumbled into the cheapest powerplant per pound ever made; my local craigslist is littered with running 460's for $500 and under every day.  I picked up a 30k mile RV engine with a C6 for $400.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from.  Plentiful, and cheap, and not too difficult to hop up, either.

How does your car do in finishing races?  Gotta think that you beat on the brakes, suspension, trans, cooling system, etc, quite a bit.  Do you know how much it weighs?

Thanks,

Scott

FPRbuzz wrote:

The aforementioned ruining
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc368/buzzboy7/DSC00755.jpg

Me likey!  What happened to it?

Scott

I support this idea. Lemons needs more old Fords. I still drool over Matt's Galaxie. I'll be right behind you after our mopar build is done.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

gtopat wrote:

I support this idea. Lemons needs more old Fords. I still drool over Matt's Galaxie. I'll be right behind you after our mopar build is done.

What year Galaxie are we talking about?  I love the 65-66's and the 64's are nice, too.

Scott

http://www.murileemartin.com/Blog/66Galaxie/CMP-Galaxie-1280px-16.jpg
(Phil's picture)

The PJ Galaxie is a 67. Its a little more battered now than when this picture was taken, but it still knocks me on my ass whenever I see it, which now that it lives in PA, is more often than I deserve. It inspired our Tbird, but its just not the same. Im working to rectify that.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

bulletpruf wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
bulletpruf wrote:

but too many doors

Why?

If I'm going to go through the trouble of finding a lightweight car, I might as well pick one that doesn't have the added weight of two additional doors.

thanks

Unless the wheelbase is longer, once you remove the glass and skin the door, I doubt you are talking much difference.

Sedan doors do have some advantage for ingress and egress if they are longer.  It might also have some advantages with b-pillar placement for running nascar bars for door bars.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ct … 51667.html

gtopat wrote:

http://www.murileemartin.com/Blog/66Galaxie/CMP-Galaxie-1280px-16.jpg
(Phil's picture)

The PJ Galaxie is a 67. Its a little more battered now than when this picture was taken, but it still knocks me on my ass whenever I see it, which now that it lives in PA, is more often than I deserve. It inspired our Tbird, but its just not the same. Im working to rectify that.

67's have pretty nice lines, too.  I like it.  Any idea what engine and trans he's running?

Scott

OnkelUdo wrote:
bulletpruf wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

Why?

thanks

Unless the wheelbase is longer, once you remove the glass and skin the door, I doubt you are talking much difference.

Sedan doors do have some advantage for ingress and egress if they are longer.  It might also have some advantages with b-pillar placement for running nascar bars for door bars.

Good points.  Thanks

That would be a cool ride.  If that has the 2.3 4 cylinder, sure would be fun with a junkyard turbo... 

Just one question -- would I have to grow a mullet before I could drive it???

Thanks for posting,

Scott

bulletpruf wrote:

67's have pretty nice lines, too.  I like it.  Any idea what engine and trans he's running?

Scott

351w/C4

Interceptor Motorsports

I say run something kind of funny, maybe an old Ford Pickup. If you find one with no gas tank, a flathead V8, 2-speed or 3-speed with the 2-speed differential, no interior, nothing except a body with a hasn't-run-in-30-years drivetrain. Then paint it like Roadkill's Stubby Bob or something hilarious. Maybe a catnip theme or a moonshine runner theme. Even a farmer's theme is cool. Those engines weren't the best for power but if treated correctly, they will last a while.

-Connor

45 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-05-19 07:11 PM)

GuineaPig1971 wrote:

Then paint it like Roadkill's Stubby Bob or something hilarious. Maybe a catnip theme or a moonshine runner theme. Those engines weren't the best for power but if treated correctly, they will last a while.

-Connor

We plan to run our 1947/48 Plymouth with stock engine and tranny for the first few races.

FYI, moonshine runners are bootleggers and the them is pretty easy but does require overalls with only one strap.

gtopat wrote:
bulletpruf wrote:

Scott

351w/C4

Ok, thanks

47 (edited by bulletpruf 2016-05-19 10:04 PM)

GuineaPig1971 wrote:

I say run something kind of funny, maybe an old Ford Pickup. If you find one with no gas tank, a flathead V8, 2-speed or 3-speed with the 2-speed differential, no interior, nothing except a body with a hasn't-run-in-30-years drivetrain. Then paint it like Roadkill's Stubby Bob or something hilarious. Maybe a catnip theme or a moonshine runner theme. Even a farmer's theme is cool. Those engines weren't the best for power but if treated correctly, they will last a while.

-Connor

I would love to do something like that at some point, but would prefer to start out with something that has a bit more potential to be competitive. 

Thanks

Gotta be a Ford, gotta be really old school, gotta be lightweight?

Two Choices: Capri, or Cortina. 1600 Kent to 302, with a bunch of Essex and Cologne V6 engines in between.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

bulletpruf wrote:
mechimike wrote:
bulletpruf wrote:

Thanks

Scott

Yeah, I know where you're coming from.  Plentiful, and cheap, and not too difficult to hop up, either.

How does your car do in finishing races?  Gotta think that you beat on the brakes, suspension, trans, cooling system, etc, quite a bit.  Do you know how much it weighs?

Thanks,

Scott

Stock, it weighed something like 4400 lbs.  We had to get a waiver from the judges it's first race.  The first couple of races it ran on the stock 400 engine, which, while it only had 153 horsepower, was stone dead reliable.

Then we swapped in the first 460, out of a junked 68 Continental.

That engine had sat for awhile before we got it and we had numerous teething issues with it before finally popping a head gasket and cracking the block. 

The 460 that's in there now came out of an 80's Ford pickup (mileage unknown) and while it's down on power compared to that hi-comp '68 plant, it's been pretty reliable.  We have had overheating issues, eventually solved by flushing 30 years' worth of crap out of the block and using a washer in place of the thermostat.  We also installed the biggest aluminum radiator Summit sells. 

We do have a recurring problem blowing out intake manifold gaskets and subsequent oil leaks.  Still haven't nailed that down.  PCV system is all new and we're running an aftermarket aluminum intake with a 650 Edelbrock.

Suspension has a cop rear sway bar and a doubled-up front sway.  Cut springs in front, clamped in back.  No issues.

The 460 eventually blew up the stock rear (WER, crappy Ford rear that shares no parts with a 9"), swapped in a 9", blew up a chunk, replaced it.  For next race we're building a new chunk.

Steering is de-powered, otherwise stock.  Not as heavy as you'd think.

Tires are 400TW BF Goodrich 245/50R16 on steelies.  Once we got the alignment settings figured out, they wear pretty evenly.  We figure we should get 2 races out of a set. 

C6 trannies are like anvils.  Add a $30 shift kit and go.

Brakes are Mustang front, Chevy Impala (94-96) disc rear.  Hawk HT10 pads in front, Raybestos metal in back.  Car stops like no other 1975 LTD on the Planet.  About a race and a half per set of pads. 

We've stripped out all of the interior, gutted the doors and hood, removed the front bumper, and removed every bit of weight we could.  With a cage, fuel cell, and aluminum seat, I would guess it's somewhere around 3800 pounds now.  The 460 with an aluminum manifold weighs about what a 400 with an iron manifold does.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Type44 wrote:

Gotta be a Ford, gotta be really old school, gotta be lightweight?

Two Choices: Capri, or Cortina. 1600 Kent to 302, with a bunch of Essex and Cologne V6 engines in between.

I'm thinking Capri with a 2.3L I4.

Haven't seen many Cortina's in the U.S.

Thanks

Scott