Re: What can be done to make Lemons more attractive to spectators?

Part of the attraction of the series for some of us is aspiring to make our car's better and faster within the budget guidelines.  Not just goofier or unique.  Not everyone has an interest in building a plane car or helicopter car to run a few laps. 

If there is too much speed creep then things may be less safe, so then maybe Lemons institutes a fastest lap boundary.  If your car is under that you get a penalty.   Kinda like a bracket racing concept.  They could use the current average of the fastest laps for the last three races at a track.  It would stop speed creep, but not prevent guys from building reasonably fast cars. 

If a team starts to be too reliable, then you just penalize them like they already do.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

I guess my concern would be if the penalties get to severe then how is that going to help the attendance at the Lemons races? It seems that Lemons has grown bigger because they got away from some of the ridiculous penalties that were issued in the beginning, like 2 wheels off trying to avoid a collision or even the peoples curse. A lot of people I know voiced concerns about spending a bunch of money on their car or even just spending a lot of time on it only to possibly have it crushed. I personally prefer to go to a racetrack to go fast but that is my preference. I get the whole theme/party/class C have a good time mentality and I think that is awesome it just isn't the whole reason I go to a Lemons race. I'm to much bent on the competitive nature of racing and not the lets just make laps concept. My point would be to make sure you don't run off the people that are typically the largest group in attendance especially if your trying to get more people to attend. I love this series and will continue to make as many races as my wife will allow but if it gets to the point to where they make it more difficult to compete or penalize me for having a car that I have spent a lot of time on fussing over the small details then I might have to reassess what I want to do as far as participation.

BTW my build now is hopefully going to be a good blend of class "A" and goofy theme if that is possible, come out to CMP in September and let me know what you think. I spent a lot of time on the car build and even more on the theme.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

I would think the Idea would be to present NEW design challenges. Once the car and crew is sorted, problem solving is dead. If you then do stuff to cut down their performance then new challenges open up to be solved.

What do you have to do to be as fast on Douglas tires as you do on your nice Drezzas? Can you still turn the same amount of laps with half the horsepower?

I'm sure there's some people who are just thrilled to be done problem solving and can just roll in for racing with no hassle. They mostly are the top of the B class. Because to win A you kinda have to be problem solving obsessed, or very, very lucky.

Also Steve, the A class has already been penalized. They shaved $100 off the prize payout. Didn't seem to loose anyone.

Next race penalties are cute, but with Lemons cars the next race may be a year hence with a completely diffrent car. And does noting to close the slowest cars to fastest cars gap on the track.

Also next race penalties don't cause a delightful spectacle, which everyone needs to be honest, the spectacle was what initially caught your interest. Stuff bolted or welded to the car, the Grille of Damocles, the wheel of misfortune, all that wacky stuff made Lemons interesting to non-racers. Nothing brings me more joy than seeing a driver plastic wrapped to the top of their car being driven around to apologize for being a shit driver.

Doing silly things disarms hot tempers and forms a sense of camaraderie while also getting trouble off the track so they can re think their strategy/skill level. And as a bonus it entertains the masses!

Today's curious Spectator is tomorrow's next team.

The People's curse took care of itself. By Nelson most teams weren't even noticing people driving bad enough to vote on a peoples curse. It was quickly ended after that. There are subtler and more effective ways to drive off or curtail the trouble makers now that the Judging has gotten sharp and the cars have become non disposable.

Also remember, "go fast" is a relative concept and comes down to technique more than it does Horsepower and/or top speed.

But you're in a Miata, so you already know Fast is how you feel not what top speed you go.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

-SDR- wrote:
hoverducky wrote:
-SDR- wrote:

From the first Lemons race I stumbled upon, I 'got it'. 

If I wanted to see race prepped newer sports cars run I could go almost anywhere else.   

IMHO: A way to have less 'A' and 'B' cars would be a good start. Maybe more penalties for even bringing a 'A' or 'B'?  Not just laps and beer, I'm talking major tire restrictions (doughnut spares only?), mandatory scheduled black flags, mandatory driver changes, severe weight penalties,.........   

<snip>

I always enjoy reading posts from self-proclaimed "get it" people that express the opinion that their Lemons is the only true Lemons.  Fact is, the classes all need each other, both to fill the field and to provide the on-track and in-paddock (and in-forum) contrast that keeps this whole deal interesting.

A particular irony here is that you are making suggestions that might help increase spectator attendance, a change that would provide questionable-at-best benefit to the Lemons community and none at all to the Lemons bottom line, while also espousing rules changes intended to chase away the meat of the field that the organization relies upon for financial stability.  Well-played, sir.

Scott

I always enjoy reading replies to my posts where the person does not read what I wrote, just what they think I wrote, and then tosses in an insult or two.

Also, thank you for posting your own ideas on how to increase spectators and not just criticizing comments made by others.

IMHO: A race for $500. cars should be a race where MOST cars meet that rule, not the other way around, but that's just me...

Bill

Mmm.  I see.  You are saying that having fewer A and B cars at the race could increase spectator attendance.  Fair enough (though I disagree), but I think I can be excused for interpreting the statement that you want fewer A and B cars to show up as meaning that you think they are doing Lemons incorrectly.  And for what it is worth, I edited the insults out before posting (and they weren't even that bad).  Only thing I can see that isn't chock-full of politeness is the bit at the end, which falls under the category of sarcasm rather than insult.  Perhaps I'm not the only one with a reading comprehension problem.

I fall under the "meh" category when it comes to more spectators, but how's this for constructive input: assuming you want to further the "more class C cars" agenda rather than just reduce A and B car counts, then making suggestions that will actually do that might be good.  Which would you rather watch, a race with 12 class C cars and 60 assorted others, or a race with 12 class C cars?  (No, I'm not using "agenda" as a pejorative.)

I've driven in all four classes, and what I like to see when I show up to a race is a shit-ton of cars of various speed potentials.  Mixed-class racing is fun regardless of where you are in the heap, and it isn't a real crapcan race unless there's barely any space on the pavement.

And finally, last time I looked at it the non-safety budget for my class A lap-record-holding abomination was $340.  Building a fast car doesn't necessarily require spending money.  This is a tiny bit of an aside, but I suspect that the majority of over-$500 cars on the track at any given race aren't cheating, they are legally exploiting residual values.  If there's a root cause for the speed-creep that people are concerned about that's where to look.  I am also not 100% convinced that there is a speed-creep problem, and don't believe Lemons speed differentials are all that high compared to other categories of multi-class racing.  I do believe that multiple seasons of wisely managed residuals can make a $500 turd into an expensive and well-developed racecar, and that sort of thing increases perceived barrier-to-entry for people trying to get into crapcan racing.

Scott

PS: some of the over-$500 cars on the track at any given race are cheating.

Guildenstern wrote:

I would think the Idea would be to present NEW design challenges. Once the car and crew is sorted, problem solving is dead. If you then do stuff to cut down their performance then new challenges open up to be solved.

What do you have to do to be as fast on Douglas tires as you do on your nice Drezzas? Can you still turn the same amount of laps with half the horsepower?

I'm sure there's some people who are just thrilled to be done problem solving and can just roll in for racing with no hassle. They mostly are the top of the B class. Because to win A you kinda have to be problem solving obsessed, or very, very lucky.

Also Steve, the A class has already been penalized. They shaved $100 off the prize payout. Didn't seem to loose anyone.

Next race penalties are cute, but with Lemons cars the next race may be a year hence with a completely diffrent car. And does noting to close the slowest cars to fastest cars gap on the track.

Also next race penalties don't cause a delightful spectacle, which everyone needs to be honest, the spectacle was what initially caught your interest. Stuff bolted or welded to the car, the Grille of Damocles, the wheel of misfortune, all that wacky stuff made Lemons interesting to non-racers. Nothing brings me more joy than seeing a driver plastic wrapped to the top of their car being driven around to apologize for being a shit driver.

Doing silly things disarms hot tempers and forms a sense of camaraderie while also getting trouble off the track so they can re think their strategy/skill level. And as a bonus it entertains the masses!

Today's curious Spectator is tomorrow's next team.

The People's curse took care of itself. By Nelson most teams weren't even noticing people driving bad enough to vote on a peoples curse. It was quickly ended after that. There are subtler and more effective ways to drive off or curtail the trouble makers now that the Judging has gotten sharp and the cars have become non disposable.

Also remember, "go fast" is a relative concept and comes down to technique more than it does Horsepower and/or top speed.

But you're in a Miata, so you already know Fast is how you feel not what top speed you go.

I do agree with most of what you said other than why slow down a class "A" car to turn laps like a Class "B" car? If I wanted to build a Class B I would have just done that.  Although that may be some kind of option, lets say you won 2 class A races, at the next race you have the option of receiving a 10 lap penalty or having to run the afore mentioned tires on your car? I'm not against some kind of equalization process in fact the idea was mentioned about using either a bracket type racing or pulling your lap times from the last 3 races. Most of the time I think Judge Phil (in our area) gets it pretty right as far placing the cars in what class they should go into. Every now and then somebody shows up with something that runs way better than it should have on paper. I agreed with the move to take more prize money and give it to the C class cars in an effort to raise the number of the C class entries. I actually have considered building a "C" class car just for the sheer fun of saying I did it. Please don't get me wrong if it's a safety thing because of speeds than maybe that could be addressed by either tire changes (400 tread wear or higher on "A" class?) or weight added or some other type of device to slow the cars down but if it's not then maybe the effort should be put to try and raise the B and C classes instead of penalize the A class

And as far as the crazy penalties I didn't really mean that we shouldn't have the wild consequences I just meant that we didn't need to be pulled into the pits for some of the stuff that they used to pull people in for. By all means lets get back to welding farm animals onto roofs again wink I have had more fun at a Lemons race than any other form of racing I have been in, I do admit that sometimes I take it to seriously but am trying to come around to more of a lets go party and meet new people and BTW race our cars around some too. My goals for next year is to travel to new tracks that I have never been to and see and meet a whole another breed of Lemons crazies out there.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

steve wrote:

By all means lets get back to welding farm animals onto roofs again wink

Or Cats...

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:
steve wrote:

By all means lets get back to welding farm animals onto roofs again wink

Or Cats...

Will weld stick to fur?

83 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2016-07-13 03:01 PM)

If we want 100 class C cars again, then offer $5000 to the winner of class C and raise team fees by $100 to pay for it.   "C" class it is....

I'm up for paying $100 more in entry fees if it guarantees that 50% or more of the field will be genuine Class C cars. But I don't think it would and I'm not looking to force people out of Lemons just because their crap is faster than my crap. I just think more C cars would be more entertaining for spectators and outsiders and it would further identify it as less like any other series.

And Lemons HQ actually does have the ability to deny entry to teams that are the perennial front-runners when you look at the wait-list races. But they don't / won't do that.

Can you imagine them denying entry to Cerveza, Eyesore, Balto, or MTGT at Sonoma? Hell, can you imagine a Sonoma Lemons event with NO Miatas or BMWs?

It'll never happen.

Dose anyone remember the X-Class Debacle? Vendler pitched such a fit and protested its arbitrary nature and stopped entering races (But then Lemons went and hired him as a judge).

I loved that video... smile

Spank wrote:

I'm up for paying $100 more in entry fees if it guarantees that 50% or more of the field will be genuine Class C cars. But I don't think it would and I'm not looking to force people out of Lemons just because their crap is faster than my crap. I just think more C cars would be more entertaining for spectators and outsiders and it would further identify it as less like any other series.

And Lemons HQ actually does have the ability to deny entry to teams that are the perennial front-runners when you look at the wait-list races. But they don't / won't do that.

Can you imagine them denying entry to Cerveza, Eyesore, Balto, or MTGT at Sonoma? Hell, can you imagine a Sonoma Lemons event with NO Miatas or BMWs?

It'll never happen.

Dose anyone remember the X-Class Debacle? Vendler pitched such a fit and protested its arbitrary nature and stopped entering races (But then Lemons went and hired him as a judge).

I actually had this sort of discussion with a fellow Lemons racer last night while we were working on my car. What if there were prizes for class "X". What if after winning an "A" class race you were put into this class? The way it is now if you win "C" you move up to "B" if you win "B" you move up to "A" Class but if you win "A" you stay in that class. Just a thought.

steve wrote:

I actually had this sort of discussion with a fellow Lemons racer last night while we were working on my car. What if there were prizes for class "X". What if after winning an "A" class race you were put into this class? The way it is now if you win "C" you move up to "B" if you win "B" you move up to "A" Class but if you win "A" you stay in that class. Just a thought.

That isn't necessarily how it works.  For example the shit-brown Pinto Cruising Wagon that won class B at Sears Point a while back continues to run in B, but with a one-lap penalty.  Running that car stock in class A would be absurd.  Moving it to A then providing budget leeway to make it more competitive there doesn't do anybody any good.

As far as X class goes and speaking as someone who was stuck in it for a season and won in it, it sucks.  It takes away the intrinsic reward of contending for a win: no one cares.  We didn't even care.  It wasn't about prizes, it was about competing with people on a level playing field and winning or losing on merit.  The implied rules exemption of having an exhibition class sort of provides an excuse for getting beaten, so even an overall win doesn't matter.  X class cars were almost invisible.  I would much rather have a good time at a race and lose than have a shitty time and win but running in X just felt like a waste of time and money.  Er, more of a waste of time and money.

And exhibition classes are a bad idea if you care about keeping speeds down.

Scott

88 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-07-14 12:19 PM)

All I can say is that if you are reading this you are an idiot. When my Jagvair build thread reaches 25,000 views, that is more than just Class C guys checking in. It is all classes, A, B, C, X, LY, DT, Z, Q, everybody. It isn't how fast you are. It isn't how much money you wasted. It is the fact that you are willing to share an experience that you could easily pay more for exclusivity, but instead decide to deal with the boat cars and chain driven heaps to race. That is the common denominator between all of us is that we want to throw away money on racing. We are a community and as long as we treat each other with respect and speak positively of each other, the community will grow. Production value doesn't make something popular, having something that everyone wants but can't have does. Lemons is different because it is all accepting. You don't need a specific car or hauler or license or anything. Pay your fees, pass tech, and race. Lemons is a place where you can relax and be yourself. You have nothing to prove one way or the other. A crappier car is going home with the money. How do we make Lemons more attractive to spectators? I don't know, but I am sure trying.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

89 (edited by VKZ24 2016-07-14 10:44 AM)

It isn't how fast you are. It isn't how much money you wasted. It is the fact that you are willing to share an experience that you could easily pay more to be more exclusive, but instead decide to deal with the boat cars and chain driven heaps to race. That is the common denominator between all of us is that we want to throw away money on racing. We are a community and as long as we treat each other with respect and speak positively of each other, the community will grow. Production value doesn't make something popular, having something that everyone wants but can't have does. Lemons is different because it is all accepting. You don't need a specific car or hauler or license or anything. Pay your fees, pass tech, and race. Lemons is a place where you can relax and be yourself. You have nothing to prove one way or the other. A crappier car is going home with the money. How do we make Lemons more attractive to spectators? I don't know, but I am sure trying.

Well said sir, well said.

As for attracting spectators...what driver in this series really gives a flying f*ck who/how many people come to spectate?  I go to RACE, and have FUN, which is what I pay my dues for.  My guess is Jay will continue the series as long as it's financially viable in his eyes, and the number of spectators isn't what pays the bills.   As long as we have as many teams/drivers that want to race, I think the series will be just fine.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

hoverducky wrote:
steve wrote:

That isn't necessarily how it works.  For example the shit-brown Pinto Cruising Wagon that won class B at Sears Point a while back continues to run in B, but with a one-lap penalty.  Running that car stock in class A would be absurd.  Moving it to A then providing budget leeway to make it more competitive there doesn't do anybody any good.

As far as X class goes and speaking as someone who was stuck in it for a season and won in it, it sucks.  It takes away the intrinsic reward of contending for a win: no one cares.  We didn't even care.  It wasn't about prizes, it was about competing with people on a level playing field and winning or losing on merit.  The implied rules exemption of having an exhibition class sort of provides an excuse for getting beaten, so even an overall win doesn't matter.  X class cars were almost invisible.  I would much rather have a good time at a race and lose than have a shitty time and win but running in X just felt like a waste of time and money.  Er, more of a waste of time and money.

And exhibition classes are a bad idea if you care about keeping speeds down.

Scott

I do stand corrected in that I forgot about the guy that was helping me last night having a C class car and got moved to B after a win in that class. The next race he was able to go with getting laps in C versus just running without laps in B. I don't know if there is a way to get more spectators out to the track other than maybe lowering the entry fee for spectators, the other problem and it has been mentioned is getting some of the people in that only come there to see what they can get for a five finger discount. The race at CMP in September when we go to Camden for the block party seems to draw a lot of local attention maybe some more of that might help?

I also think that Lemons and econo racing suffer from the same fate as Softball, about the only people you are going to get to come out to watch a softball game is people that are on the team and their families.

VKZ24 wrote:

It isn't how fast you are. It isn't how much money you wasted. It is the fact that you are willing to share an experience that you could easily pay more to be more exclusive, but instead decide to deal with the boat cars and chain driven heaps to race. That is the common denominator between all of us is that we want to throw away money on racing. We are a community and as long as we treat each other with respect and speak positively of each other, the community will grow. Production value doesn't make something popular, having something that everyone wants but can't have does. Lemons is different because it is all accepting. You don't need a specific car or hauler or license or anything. Pay your fees, pass tech, and race. Lemons is a place where you can relax and be yourself. You have nothing to prove one way or the other. A crappier car is going home with the money. How do we make Lemons more attractive to spectators? I don't know, but I am sure trying.

Well said sir, well said.

As for attracting spectators...what driver in this series really gives a flying f*ck who/how many people come to spectate?  I go to RACE, and have FUN, which is what I pay my dues for.  My guess is Jay will continue the series as long as it's financially viable in his eyes, and the number of spectators isn't what pays the bills.   As long as we have as many teams/drivers that want to race, I think the series will be just fine.

Spectators become drivers/teams. The more people come to watch, the better the chance that this goofy endeavor will keep being prosperous.

And they don't need to be at the race spectators. The Race Cast Me has a lot of potential. Sadly Jalopnik was what brought a lot of people here, but since Phill left they spend very little time on anything that doesn't involve Orlove crashing into something.

It doesn't feel like C&D and now RoadKill have been making enough visibility on a race to race basis. But we'll see what the future holds. Perhaps a "Tribe" on The Grand Tour, or Eric's new podcast once the break is over will help bring in more new eyes. After 10 years I still have to explain it to most car people I meet.

Exclusivity is nice, but not as nice as Longevity.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

93 (edited by Guildenstern 2016-07-14 01:53 PM)

steve wrote:

I do agree with most of what you said other than why slow down a class "A" car to turn laps like a Class "B" car? If I wanted to build a Class B I would have just done that.

More than half the class B cars are equal to class A cars, the bigger difference is usually the team not the car. There are class B cars finishing in the top 10, and Class A cars that can't even break the top 20 even running all weekend. Class C vs. A&B is a much clearer line than A vs.B.

steve wrote:

Please don't get me wrong if it's a safety thing because of speeds than maybe that could be addressed by either tire changes (400 tread wear or higher on "A" class?) or weight added or some other type of device to slow the cars down but if it's not then maybe the effort should be put to try and raise the B and C classes instead of penalize the A class

The safety is my big concern. So far we've done really well, but as the gap keeps getting bigger we're going to keep having more Ferkel and Nash style crashes. Not everyone who has a fast class A car has the talent in a pinch to match the speed potential of the car. Usually it's no problem, but when it is a problem, well, eventually even a near perfect system will have a catastrophic failure. Our Cage requirements are top notch, and requiring "HANS" is a big relief, but as we saw with Stef, even a properly bolted in person's body can still only take so much of a beating. So keeping cars slow enough to maintain an effective closing response time may mean the difference between "Well that was a crash!" and "Well that crash just cost them the insurance coverage."

And Yes, the CMP block party is one of the best ways to draw interest. Most tracks are in the middle of nowhere and so are out of sight and out of mind for most even locals.

We can't really raise C, because C cars are just too dang slow to ever get faster. That's part of the point, they have no right to be on a racetrack and that's what's fun.

But, most of us are not Pros, we don't have the training and experience to recognize when enough speed is enough for our ability to deal with it until after the situational breakdown happens. I always told my Private Pilot students that even though they just earned their shiny new Pilot's Certificate. They now have just enough skill to be dangerous, and not enough knowledge to know what they don't know. And what they don't know is what's going to try and kill them.

The best solutions are either:
A: Try and encourage a slower class A in a fashion enjoyable to everyone.
B: Require real Licensing or Training, either overall or for A class drivers which will do the opposite of getting more people involved.
C: Pull slow and/or questionably reliable cars and/or Drivers off the track.
D: ?

Lemons has always done spectacular with the methodology of A because buffoonery and good natured shame is always a good time.

The old "club" racing has done B and C and well, we know how that's been going.

If there's a D out there I can't think of, perhaps that would be great too. But right now only A means more people keep showing up and everyone goes home happy and in one piece.

Either way, I hope I can get some time away to go down to CMP Fall to see your Fiberglass masterpiece.

And yea the CMP block party is the best thing for raising interest and awareness, most track are in the middle of nowhere and so out of sight and out of mind even for locals.

Also if we want stuff welded to the cars, we have to supply the stuff and the welder. The Arc Angel isn't a race regular anymore, and they have their packing and logistics down to the point that they can't drag a ton of stuff with them to every event. So stuff like that and evil time wasting penalties have to be procure on sight.

Same with people who wish there was a live running timing and scoring screen. The means to get that from track to track is just too high with too much risk of failure.

Lawn chairs on the track.   With snacks.

This space for rent.

People Love Snacks!

Popcorn machines... Lots and lots of pop corn.

Guildenstern wrote:
steve wrote:

I do agree with most of what you said other than why slow down a class "A" car to turn laps like a Class "B" car? If I wanted to build a Class B I would have just done that.

More than half the class B cars are equal to class A cars, the bigger difference is usually the team not the car. There are class B cars finishing in the top 10, and Class A cars that can't even break the top 20 even running all weekend. Class C vs. A&B is a much clearer line than A vs.B.

steve wrote:

Please don't get me wrong if it's a safety thing because of speeds than maybe that could be addressed by either tire changes (400 tread wear or higher on "A" class?) or weight added or some other type of device to slow the cars down but if it's not then maybe the effort should be put to try and raise the B and C classes instead of penalize the A class

The safety is my big concern. So far we've done really well, but as the gap keeps getting bigger we're going to keep having more Ferkel and Nash style crashes. Not everyone who has a fast class A car has the talent in a pinch to match the speed potential of the car. Usually it's no problem, but when it is a problem, well, eventually even a near perfect system will have a catastrophic failure. Our Cage requirements are top notch, and requiring "HANS" is a big relief, but as we saw with Stef, even a properly bolted in person's body can still only take so much of a beating. So keeping cars slow enough to maintain an effective closing response time may mean the difference between "Well that was a crash!" and "Well that crash just cost them the insurance coverage."

And Yes, the CMP block party is one of the best ways to draw interest. Most tracks are in the middle of nowhere and so are out of sight and out of mind for most even locals.

We can't really raise C, because C cars are just too dang slow to ever get faster. That's part of the point, they have no right to be on a racetrack and that's what's fun.

But, most of us are not Pros, we don't have the training and experience to recognize when enough speed is enough for our ability to deal with it until after the situational breakdown happens. I always told my Private Pilot students that even though they just earned their shiny new Pilot's Certificate. They now have just enough skill to be dangerous, and not enough knowledge to know what they don't know. And what they don't know is what's going to try and kill them.

The best solutions are either:
A: Try and encourage a slower class A in a fashion enjoyable to everyone.
B: Require real Licensing or Training, either overall or for A class drivers which will do the opposite of getting more people involved.
C: Pull slow and/or questionably reliable cars and/or Drivers off the track.
D: ?

Lemons has always done spectacular with the methodology of A because buffoonery and good natured shame is always a good time.

The old "club" racing has done B and C and well, we know how that's been going.

If there's a D out there I can't think of, perhaps that would be great too. But right now only A means more people keep showing up and everyone goes home happy and in one piece.

Either way, I hope I can get some time away to go down to CMP Fall to see your Fiberglass masterpiece.

And yea the CMP block party is the best thing for raising interest and awareness, most track are in the middle of nowhere and so out of sight and out of mind even for locals.

One other thing that I did for the CMP race was to call the local TV affiliate and got a reporter out to do a story on the race while at the track. Lemons got some free press and so did the Track.

Guildenstern wrote:

Also if we want stuff welded to the cars, we have to supply the stuff and the welder. The Arc Angel isn't a race regular anymore, and they have their packing and logistics down to the point that they can't drag a ton of stuff with them to every event. So stuff like that and evil time wasting penalties have to be procure on sight.

Same with people who wish there was a live running timing and scoring screen. The means to get that from track to track is just too high with too much risk of failure.

It's a pain in the ass to schlep a big TV, computer and extra monitors to the track but I do it at CMP, and I'd do it at Barber if I had a way to get a good signal from timing and scoring. It really depends on the judges... Matt Adair hated it the one time he judged CMP, but I think "the regulars" like it because it keeps people out of their hair, and the attraction keeps the vibe up at the judge's station/HQ.

I've got a friend who used to have a proper TV truck, and one time a few years ago he asked if there'd be any interest in bringing it to CMP to do live coverage of a race. And we're talking real TV - 12 cameras, 96 channels of audio, multiple graphics packages, etc... and I talked him out of it, because it wouldn't be worth the $500 in fuel he'd burn getting there and back. I had had a discussion with Jay about it at a prior race, and we both agreed that there wasn't really a market for it, because all those cameras aren't free, people to run them aren't free, people to schlep tens of thousands of cables aren't free, someone to produce/direct the show (even if it's a tight ship with one guy doing the switching, graphics, audio, etc. like we used to do) isn't free, a roving paddock reporter to tell all those interesting stories isn't free, and on and on.

We kinda saw this a year or two ago when Spank tried to be the "man in the pits" streaming with a phone... to cover this size of a spectacle, you need multiple "segment producers" running around getting leads, writing down details, keeping track of locations, names, car numbers, etc. ad nauseam. Live TV is hard work.

Streaming to the internet isn't an option at most tracks, because mobile data is expensive if it's even available. I've got AT&T and I have to drive around looking for one bar at CMP, for example. MSR Houston wasn't much better. And CMP's got "broadband" internet with paddock wifi, but their pipe is like 1.5/256k DSL, which is probably the best they'll be able to get out there for the next decade.

By way of comparison, we used to cover the US national speed skating championships, and we streamed exclusively online. We charged (as I recall) $40 for the week, and uploaded a 768kbps 540p video stream. We burned through hundreds of gigs of data, but that's not the point. At our peak, with more than 2,000 competitors, constant short-race action, a VERY talented color commentary team (think Speedycop and Spank doing live commentary over a race) and all sorts of glossy shit like graphics for names and times, superimposed clocks, instant replay, finish-line cameras, the works, with a team of 6 people. 4 of those were standing behind a camera for 14 hours a day, and the other two of us were inside a 40x8' windowless metal box with 8 tons of AC to keep it below 80 degrees. It's A LOT of work... and there, at our peak, we had about 1500 people subscribe. That's one week a year. Imagine trying to do it two or three times a month.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

ronman wrote:

It's a pain in the ass to schlep a big TV, computer and extra monitors to the track but I do it at CMP, and I'd do it at Barber if I had a way to get a good signal from timing and scoring. It really depends on the judges... Matt Adair hated it the one time he judged CMP, but I think "the regulars" like it because it keeps people out of their hair, and the attraction keeps the vibe up at the judge's station/HQ.

As I believe it was prior to Race Monitor, I for one appreciated it when you brought the big TV to CMP to provide us with live T&S.  Most teams now have live T&S on their phones, but that doesn't help the spectators who either don't know about it, or care to pay for the subscription.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!