Topic: CB Radios ?

What do you guys think for road chatter? CB Radios or something else? We are dying to use some whip antenna's that are longer then our car is !

Re: CB Radios ?

I was already thinking about buying one, why not...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

My brother got one, I have to figure out how to install it...the best part is, it's only a year newer than the car (1960 vs 1959). yay tubes!

But it only has room for three crystals (so only 3 channels)

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

The Eldorado has a  factory AM/FM/Cassette/CB head unit..

I have no idea if it works, but I might try to get it sparking.

That guy that likes the Oldsmobile Diesel for some reason.

Yard sale $2.50 for Kenmore CD circa 1980's CHECK,
Magnetic mount $1 with extended cable CHECK
Walmart trip to pick up 102 inch Whip, CHECK
All I need is some way to connect power to the thing!
Soldering iron, CHECK!

Brian Gomez
2018 Great Lakes Mistake Dune Buggy Thing - 2018 Retreat from Moscow: 1979 Lemons Chevette - 2017 Retreat from Moscow: 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura - 2016 Hell On Wheels Car Weeeeeaaaaaaaakkkk: 2003 Pontiac Aztek Breaking Bad!

We will be rocking cbs smokey reports and crys for help.

I am the brother of Squirrel. I bought a couple tube-type CB radios at the local surplus electroncis store. They are now out of stock. One super cheesy Globe CB-100A for the Edsel, and a nice Hallicrafters CB-3A for Tom Jennings' Rambler Roadster. The Globe is now working. I hope to resurrect the Hallicrafters this week.

I plan to get a whip antenna for the Edsel. They sell them on Ebay. Hustler brand. Even have bumper mounts that clamp on!

I can get the old receive and transmit crystals also, locally, if you want to go that route.

badbadbenbernanke wrote:

The Eldorado has a  factory AM/FM/Cassette/CB head unit..

there is NOTHING cooler than factory CB!

9 (edited by tomicdesu 2016-07-31 11:05 PM)

hey, so should we pick an "official" channel? at least two of us will be sporting appropriate-era vintage CB's with very limited channel choices.

nixiebunny bought a couple of appropriate-era vintage CB radios (properly equipped with the very latest in electron tubes) so they (him and squirrel) and i will be so equipped (assuming we don't vibrate the filaments out). these of course use the very latest (circa world war two) in HB style crystals, not your modern communist/hippy frequency synthesis 23 channel nonsense (40 channels? lalalalalalalala i cant hear you) 

i should have channel 19 (thanks nixebunny) plus i can install seven of the following 8 channels: 5, 9, 1, 7, 11, 12, 18, 22.

should we stick to the usual ch 19 hailing freq? i haven't been on CB in decades, maybe 19 is filled with nattering nabobs of negativity like it usedta be. or maybe it's dead silent, cuz only idiots like us would think to use CB radio?

As a CB noob, I would say we stick to whatever you guys with real vintage gear can actually use. If channel 19 is the one... Let's stay there. I still have to get one ready for use, might even spring for a new Cobra 40 channel (aren't we fancy smile

tomicdesu wrote:

maybe 19 is filled with nattering nabobs of negativity like it usedta be. or maybe it's dead silent, cuz only idiots like us would think to use CB radio?

I have a CB in my 4x4 that I use regularly for overlanding trips... the band as a whole is dead empty, you won't have any issues with too much outside chatter.

aaron.vogel wrote:

...the band as a whole is dead empty, you won't have any issues with too much outside chatter.

No kidding. Based on the last time my HMV Freeway broke down on I-5 near Seattle, nobody around here even monitors channel 9 any more. Either that or my Messenger 130A no longer works as well as it used to. Maybe both.

I may carry a CB for the rally, but it's fairly low on my to-do list at this point.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5061/5660075814_76eb0d28bc.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

a friend has a handset like that in his 1960 Flxible bus conversion....

Garage sale JC Penney vintage 1970 something.. $2.50.
Walmart magnetic antenna, $8... I suspect shouting out the window will be more reliable,
But, it is mounted and ready to go!

Brian Gomez
2018 Great Lakes Mistake Dune Buggy Thing - 2018 Retreat from Moscow: 1979 Lemons Chevette - 2017 Retreat from Moscow: 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura - 2016 Hell On Wheels Car Weeeeeaaaaaaaakkkk: 2003 Pontiac Aztek Breaking Bad!

briangomez wrote:

Garage sale JC Penney vintage 1970 something.. $2.50.
Walmart magnetic antenna, $8... I suspect shouting out the window will be more reliable,
But, it is mounted and ready to go!

but you will look cool screaming into inert vintage electronics and that's all that matters.  we will hear you due to the excessive coolness.

mharrell wrote:
aaron.vogel wrote:

...the band as a whole is dead empty, you won't have any issues with too much outside chatter.

No kidding. Based on the last time my HMV Freeway broke down on I-5 near Seattle, nobody around here even monitors channel 9 any more. Either that or my Messenger 130A no longer works as well as it used to. Maybe both.

I may carry a CB for the rally, but it's fairly low on my to-do list at this point.

wow, didn't know it was that dead, but i guess i shouldn't be surprised. FRS probably works better, but there's no fun to be had in yellow and gray plastic blobs.

Thnx to Craig and his infernal list, I am now the proud owner of TWO Cobra 40 channel jobs and a Firestik antenna that probably isn't good for much. Still need to hook up the second radio in my 300TD, just so I can see if the one in the Jag actually picks anything up smile

There is a cell phone app called Zello.  It turns your cell into a push-to-talk device and broadcasts what you say to anyone that is logged into the channel.  The app is free.  We could set up a channel and use that for communication between teams.  As long as you have cell reception you will get the broadcast so there are no distance limits as with a CB. That being said, I'm digging out my old hand held CB also.

been thinking about leaving my cell phone at home....   smile

DieselSJ wrote:

There is a cell phone app called Zello.  It turns your cell into a push-to-talk device and broadcasts what you say to anyone that is logged into the channel.  The app is free.  We could set up a channel and use that for communication between teams.  As long as you have cell reception you will get the broadcast so there are no distance limits as with a CB. That being said, I'm digging out my old hand held CB also.

Could Zello be used to send large font text messages to a driver?  I can see an application where it might be helpful when we have radio trouble.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

squirrel wrote:

been thinking about leaving my cell phone at home....   smile

I have been thinking no such thing, but that's mostly because I don't have a cell phone.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Two words...flag semaphore.  If a Navy signalman can learn it, so can you.

My son and I got the old Globe tube CB into the edsel. It has a few issues, but we did get it to work reasonably well both directions on ch 9, running on AC power. The inverter introduced a lot of squealy noise, and there's something wrong with the other two channels. Hopefully nixiebunny can get it working better this week...

24 (edited by tomicdesu 2016-08-09 10:35 PM)

cool! i hope these boatanchors work out...

is it cowardly to think about FRS radios as backup? i love old shit and usually get old crap running fine, but as i get older i'm getting better at picking my battles.

they're all shit plastic handy-talkies. given the terrain we'll be in the range ought to be pretty decent, meaning, a mile or two or five. even if the hot-cathode things work at peak efficiency (sic) we'd be lucky to get a mile.

do we care? more precisely, *how much* do we care? i can be convinced to care.

I have a motorola t4800, is that what you mean?

http://volume.com.ua/image/cache/data/Motorola/22108103-500x499-0-0-500x500.jpg