Topic: shipping a car from georgia to california

Any recommendations on finding someone reliable who can help move the car?

Re: shipping a car from georgia to california

It's an interesting business.  At the top end you have the Reliables, Horseless Carriage, FedEx, etc.  Everything else seems to be broker based so most of the companies you see seem to be brokers who quote you a price and then see if they can find an independent trucker to move the thing for less.  So the reliability is entirely down to the guy shifting the gears.  I had a car moved from Chicago to SoCal and it went pretty well except that they delivered it a day earlier than they said it would arrive just 24 hours eariler.  Had to scramble to meet with them (it arrived on a Sunday to a business that was closed).  A guy from Indiana bought a car from me and used the same broker to move the car to Indy.  They lost the car for 3 weeks until someone found it in a transfer lot.  Buyer was going crazy but all I could do is send him pix of the car leaving on the hauler.  I recently used a guy to move the Lemons Rover from SoCal to Houston and they were very accommodating even thought the Rover was blown up.  It sounded like he primarily runs along the I-10 corridor though..  (Once he found out the Rover was a LeMon, he said he knew all about Lemons as he picks up the Blowes car from a race shop in SoCal and delivers it to the track or their place in NorCal every race....hmmmm)

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

If by interesting you mean having a few guys with thick Russian accents show up hours early, scare the crap out of your wife with the pounding on the door, then you have to talk them out of trying to haul off the wrong Benz on your driveway, then yeah, interesting. That was a brokered hauler hired by the guy who bought my 280SE to bring from Phoenix to Charlotte. There are a lot of oddballs out there...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I found a car in CO on ebay that I was thinking of buying so I contacted what I thought was a shipper, but was a broker.  I got emails and calls for months!!  Anywhere from 500 to 3K.  I contacted the company and told them to delete my contact info, but it still went on and on.  More research done and I found out there are los of scams in the industry.

Good luck!

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

5 (edited by TheWheelMan 2016-08-20 07:53 AM)

I bought a 2002 Camaro SS from Texas and brought it here to Florida. It was my late uncle's car his girlfriend kept it but it was pouring oil from the valve covers when it was running so I convinced her to sell it to me. Anyway, I wanted to go cheap on shipping but still didn't want it to get all messed up. I used National Express http://www.nationalexpressautotransport.com/ and they even mentioned the could handle cars with leaks and problems on their page so they were the fit for me. They did awesome. $450.00 from Houston.

They Call me RAD CARL -This is all i know