26 (edited by Tajracing45 2010-02-13 05:31 AM)

Re: Common Tech Failures. UPDATED W/PIX

sergio wrote:

I used electrical tape. But now I'm thinking using a paint spray can lid if it's the right diameter, to cover the bottom. Cut some holes on the sides for the wires to pass and zip-tie it to the switch.

That would work...  I may have to copy you.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

We painted liquid electrical tape onto the hot terminals of our cut-off solenoid.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Tajracing45 wrote:

5. Electrical clean up.  Most of you have managed to cover the + terminal on your battery, but not on the back of your disconnect switch or elsewhere there is 12 volt power.   If I see an uncovered terminal or bare wire, I will make you cover it.   

Interesting....  never been popped for having the exposed + behind the disconnect.  With the four terminal switch, the area behind our switch is pretty tight.  How does everybody cover their + terminals?  Electrical tape?  Zip tie a cap from a majic marker or something similiar to it?  I like to be legal you know...   wink

I use these:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/Images/L/4435.JPG

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … oduct=4435

They're easy to install and to remove if/when you need to disconnect the switch, but cover it sufficiently for tech. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

About mounting the switch where everyone can reach it: a T handle cable, like those used on tractors, lawnmowers etc can be attached to the kill switch handle. That way you can mount the switch on, say, the cowl so the safety guys can reach it quick and then run the cable inside so the driver can get to it. The cables are usually at places like tractor or garden power tool shops for around $10.

Those HF switches do work, but they can be at best difficult to wire so it really kills everything. It is very possible for an alternator to 'backfeed' through various connections (even those associated with the regulator and on some cars through the PCM) and thus keep the ignition circuit alive even with the switch turned off.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Evil Genius wrote:

On clip-in belts, you need to install a locking cotter-pin or safety wire.  All bolts/eyebolts must have strong mounting points, either the stock,welded in and reinforced seatbelt mounts  or backed up with washers as per the rules.

The locking cotter pin/safety wire for clip in belts is referring to the clip itself - not the eye bolts mounted on the floor pan - right?

Want to make sure that I don't need to pin/wire the actual nuts/bolts that fasten the eye hook to the floor plate.

Main post has been updated...

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

zigm wrote:

heheheh... a new penalty for over-aggressive driving.

The Toyota Recall

Remove your gas pedal assembly for the Judges to inspect for defects.  Additional washers may be required to reinstall.

Ooooo, that's a good one... Now contrast all this Toyota hype to the very real likelyhood that something electrical is going to short out on your VW.... I get to say this because I have both, and only the VW electrical problems are for sure going to happen at some point....

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I helped out with tech this time  and I saw  a lot of cars were missing padding where your body parts might hit.
No Home Depot stuff was seen so that was a good thing

Welds on a few cages weren't 360

These are crapcars cut a a hole in the roof and weld it .
Who wants to wait in line to get it fixed at the race Friday it sucks get rid of that unwanted stress.

As for Windshield I was one /my team to scramble on Friday at Pointless lookin for Lexan that sucked !$140 later and originally got windshield for FREE from glass sponsor.Now my car is retired and will be roof cutoff and won't need windshield.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Chris, you should just buy our non-running Renault and plop the Civic drivetrain in there.

WOW a Japanese /french theme  they would have to make up a new award for like most reliable french car !

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

fabtoys wrote:

WOW a Japanese /french theme

I think that's called a "Nissan" these days, right Mr. Ghosn?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

lol

Some updates have been added to the first post, please read it!

Nick has added pictures, please look at them.

Could Rob Leone's #10 response be explained once more. I just don't understand    " To do that, it needs to be tight when the rest of the belts are tightened.  The only way to do this is to have it come up through the bottom of the seat near, well..., your crotch and not up the front of the seat."  Are you saying right through the foam and guts of the seat??  (Is this deviating from the rules of '09 and '10?)   I'm such a retard . . .

'17 /  '16 Nj - Ct  - NH,  "15 - There Goes the Neighborhood, Doin Time in Joliet, Ct, NH     
'14 / '13 / '12 / '11 - Halloween Hooptifest, The Real Hoopties of NJ, There Goes the Neighborhood
'10 + 09 Boston Toe Party and Overhead Cam Bake - IOE at Toe Party
Other distractions including  K1200RS,  99 Speed Triple,  65 Corvair 455ci,  65 Corvair Corsa,  84 633csi, 85 XR4Ti Rapido, 01 e46 Touring

When the belt comes up through the seat, it will be tight against your crotch.  If it comes up the front of the seat, there will be about a 6" gap from your crotch to the belts.  Racing seats have a hole in the bottom that is used to correctly route the belt.

http://64.13.228.178/upload/image/2010/05/takata-6-harness-00.jpg

If you route the belt up the front of the seat there will be too much slack and it will fail.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Ratbstrd wrote:

Are you saying right through the foam and guts of the seat??

Yes.

43 (edited by dculberson 2011-02-04 06:58 AM)

A stock seat will typically need a slot cut in it for the belt.  Make sure the slot doesn't have any sharp stuff in it that will shred the belt!!  But even better, just get a racing seat.  Even a Kirkey will make it less fatiguing to go around corners fast, repeatedly.

Oh, and the seat doesn't count in your $500 car budget - it's considered safety and is unlimited.  I think a racing seat is much safer than a stock seat.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

LateStart wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

On clip-in belts, you need to install a locking cotter-pin or safety wire.  All bolts/eyebolts must have strong mounting points, either the stock,welded in and reinforced seatbelt mounts  or backed up with washers as per the rules.

The locking cotter pin/safety wire for clip in belts is referring to the clip itself - not the eye bolts mounted on the floor pan - right?

Want to make sure that I don't need to pin/wire the actual nuts/bolts that fasten the eye hook to the floor plate.

I guess that I am confused.  I purchased the clips on the link at:
http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/harnes … tag=safety

Does this mean that I also have to safety wire or cotter-pin the clips on these?  If so, can someone please post a picture of what an approved safing of thes looks like?  Thanks.

Uranus Hertz
Team Fiery Death & Toothless Racing Deadbeats
We Bring Beer Motorsports, LLC
2010: TFD - Detroit Bull Oil Grand Prix (4th), 2011: TRD - Capitol Offense (61st), 2012: TFD - Capitol Offense (8th), 2013: TFD - Capitol Offense (3rd), 2013: TFD - Chubba Cheddar Enduro (4th)

Yes.  Do you see the hole in the latch?  Run a pin through that.  If you still need a pic let me know.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

The little hole on the clip retainer needs a cotter pin or wire through it so it cannot open and come off. 

-John

RobL wrote:

Yes.  Do you see the hole in the latch?  Run a pin through that.  If you still need a pic let me know.

Nope.  You have removed the stupidity from me!  Thanks Rob. 

Now I have to dig through my mess of a tool box for 3 really small pins.  Can you help with that?

Uranus Hertz
Team Fiery Death & Toothless Racing Deadbeats
We Bring Beer Motorsports, LLC
2010: TFD - Detroit Bull Oil Grand Prix (4th), 2011: TRD - Capitol Offense (61st), 2012: TFD - Capitol Offense (8th), 2013: TFD - Capitol Offense (3rd), 2013: TFD - Chubba Cheddar Enduro (4th)

We cotter pin ours now.  The first time this was caught, I ran some welding wire through ours and twisted it to get through tech.

We were debating this weekend while looking at our cage and one guy said he heard you can have a maximum of 180 degrees of bend in the main hoop. Essentially 90 degrees at the top 2 corners to add up to 180. However, due to the way the cage fits in the car we have 90 degree angles at the top and to allow it to fit we have roughly 10 degree bends at the bottom. I was reading the rules and noticed the part about compromise due to the limitations on the car and was wondering if the main hoop falls in that category?

"Drive it like it's stolen, cause it just might be"

I have a question on the shut off switches. Does anyone have any recomendations? I've been looking in some catalogs and magazines that I have and it seems like some switches disconnect the alternator and some switches disconnect the battery. I thought Lemons rules stated that both needed to disconnect when the switch is pushed, pulled etc. Am I reading the adds wrong or do most switches disconnect both?

Jalopyshoppe wrote:
Do the best you can with what you have. If someone else has what you want beat them up and take it. Can't do that? Don't know what to tell you.