Topic: Did everyone make it home ok?

The Edsel made it home. lost a wheel bearing, replaced it, the hub is also worn out so it was a bit concerning. But no problems, really.

Everyone ok?

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

Re: Did everyone make it home ok?

The Super Snipe (and driver) made it home to Los Angeles OK.
I stopped for a long leisurely lunch at Andersen's Pea Soup restaurant in Santa Nella.
After that, I only drove until it got dark, near Buttonwillow, so I stopped for the night
and continued home Sunday morning.

This morning I visited my State Farm insurance agent to assure her that nothing
bad happened to me or the car on the rally, and show her my trophy.   She still
thinks I'm crazy for visiting Death Valley in August (as do most of my friends).
Fortunately, she is a car enthusiast and understands people like us.

The Super Snipe runs great until it reaches some threshold of air temperature and
engine load, then it starts losing water.   Then I see the gauge start climbing above
190.    If it reaches 210, then I know that it has lost enough water that I need to stop
and add water.   That happened a lot in Death Valley, but only once on Friday.

I couldn't have made it without the Cool Shirt.   I went through 48 pounds of ice on
Thursday.   I also had a spray bottle of water which I kept spritzing all over my body,
which made a big difference.

I should have used more sunscreen, as I now have "truckers arm".   I didn't burn,
but you can sure tell I've been out in the sun.

The Super Snipe used only a pint of ATF and not a bit of oil the entire trip!   There
are a few maintenance items that I want to perform, but I think it is ready for the
Buttonwillow race on October 1st, if I can find three drivers.   It is for sale ($1964),
if another team is looking for a race-ready car.

All-in-all, this was a real adventure.   As I tell people, "You don't get smarter as you
grow older, you just run out of stupid things you haven't done yet."

Cheers,
Alan

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

The Bel-Air made it home no issues.  I usually do a bunch of post-mortem tests after such a long drive, however that is gonna wait until next week since I need a belairbreak.

https://s14.postimg.org/43nqbultd/14021593_10208588693208242_3455751106465962682_n.jpg

road runner and i made it home Sat night, after a dinner stop in stockton.  I got a message from James (blue dodge with new windshield) 8 am monday, that he was home.  I can only assume that if he's home Jeff/Luigi got home as well

Amanda (blue smart)

Stopped in Palm Springs for the night Sat, home Sunday afternoon. Total carnage for the whole 2000 plus miles, was a slightly chewed fender liner that disagreed with the front right tire, zilch oil consumption, ditto coolant. Fuel, OTOH...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

After spending 27 hours inside the lovely San Francisco International Airport I made it back to Orlando this morning.

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

The International and I made it back to Seattle at around 1:00 this morning. Total consumables for the trip were one quart of oil and mumble mumble gallons of gasoline.

The Volvo had not repaired itself in my absence. Nuts.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

I thought your wife was supposed to take care of that while you were gone.  smile

It was a real pleasure traveling with you on the rally.   You were a tremendous help in spotting checkpoints that I totally missed seeing.

This morning I went out to do a bit of work on the Super Snipe and discovered that it had been taken over by those tiny Argentine ants!   I can't figure out why they decided it was ant heaven, but I didn't appreciate it and gave them all a Black Flag.

We're still on the road... Almost home for the Saskatoon team, about 100 miles left, but the Jeep's got another 300 tonight and 400 tomorrow before my sister's home and the Jeep's back in my driveway.

CowDriver wrote:
mharrell wrote:

I thought your wife was supposed to take care of that while you were gone.

No, she's much smarter than I am.

Teaming up worked out pretty well. We've now established that a Super Snipe has about the same cruising speed as a '70 International 3/4-ton pickup. Thus science progresses.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

The diesel Caddy made it back to ND, but only just.

The lower radiator sprung a small leak climbing Truckee Pass. Apparently there's a buzzer that comes on when the engine gets REALLY hot.

Had a spare hose with me but the damage was done.

She drank ~2 gallons of coolant at every fuel stop. Has barely enough compression to start when cold.

But she made it all 1700 miles back home.

That guy that likes the Oldsmobile Diesel for some reason.

badbadbenbernanke wrote:

The diesel Caddy made it back to ND, but only just.

The lower radiator sprung a small leak climbing Truckee Pass. Apparently there's a buzzer that comes on when the engine gets REALLY hot.

Had a spare hose with me but the damage was done.

She drank ~2 gallons of coolant at every fuel stop. Has barely enough compression to start when cold.

But she made it all 1700 miles back home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhJhTFPVeT8

Color me amazed you made it over the sierras twice in that thing. I thought I'd see it at roadside climbing out of Folsom, never did. I remember thinking, "Eldorado Hills?- no, not ideally!"

Type44 wrote:

Color me amazed you made it over the sierras twice in that thing. I thought I'd see it at roadside climbing out of Folsom, never did. I remember thinking, "Eldorado Hills?- no, not ideally!"

Three times.

Remember, I drove it in.

That guy that likes the Oldsmobile Diesel for some reason.

My sister's safe in Winnipeg and the Jeep is now back home, got in late last night. In the last two weeks it's been through four provinces and six states, and covered a total of 10,500km, 6500 miles.
But really I'm more impressed with that Eldorado. You basically had the same distance to go, (I live within 200 miles of Minot, we just took a scenic route) and that thing's pretty rough. The Jeep's my daily driver and was only a last minute switch out that I knew would make it when my Lada obviously wouldn't have a day before I had to leave.

gogmorgo wrote:

My sister's safe in Winnipeg and the Jeep is now back home, got in late last night. In the last two weeks it's been through four provinces and six states, and covered a total of 10,500km, 6500 miles.
But really I'm more impressed with that Eldorado. You basically had the same distance to go, (I live within 200 miles of Minot, we just took a scenic route) and that thing's pretty rough. The Jeep's my daily driver and was only a last minute switch out that I knew would make it when my Lada obviously wouldn't have a day before I had to leave.

That is some hardcore stuff. Congrats on getting home safe. Jay should give you some kind of Ironman award.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

18 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-08-27 11:38 PM)

The Baja was returned to its owner with a clunk? from the right rear, but otherwise intact! Success!

I did some, ahem, "enthusiastic" driving to the airport in a giant middle finger on wheels (AMG G65, do recommend, hahaha) that my coworkers borrowed for Pebble Beach, and now Virgin Airlines won't quit emailing me to review them. STOP. STOOOOP. You had a cheap direct flight that got in before midnight--NOW LEAVE ME ALONE.

The Aztek and its driver made it home after stopping at a couple national parks along the way. Total distance 10,000 miles roughly.  Jen and I had a great time on the rally and enjoyed meeting all of you and being with some of the crapiest cars ever! Hopefully Steve will get some dates together for the Winter Rally on our side of the country so we can do it again.
Status of the Aztek, it makes a few noises that it didn't before the Death Valley "gravel roads" (better stated as barely passable) and of course the check engine light is on, and the abs thinks it should engage every time I touch the breaks, and the howling from the right rear has gotten louder and starts at lower speeds... Basically, the car is fully prepped for next Lemons event. smile

Brian Gomez
2018 Great Lakes Mistake Dune Buggy Thing - 2018 Retreat from Moscow: 1979 Lemons Chevette - 2017 Retreat from Moscow: 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura - 2016 Hell On Wheels Car Weeeeeaaaaaaaakkkk: 2003 Pontiac Aztek Breaking Bad!

20 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-08-29 04:57 PM)

briangomez wrote:

and the abs thinks it should engage every time I touch the breaks, and the howling from the right rear has gotten louder and starts at lower speeds... Basically, the car is fully prepped for next Lemons event. smile

these two things are related...trust me.

OnkelUdo wrote:
briangomez wrote:

and the abs thinks it should engage every time I touch the breaks, and the howling from the right rear has gotten louder and starts at lower speeds... Basically, the car is fully prepped for next Lemons event. smile

these two things are related...trust me.

How many miles did I say a wheel bearing can be noisy, Brian? smile

The Florida Swamp Uhaul Trailer Thing made it to Phoenix middle of the night, early, early Sunday morning.  Then we caught a Cheap Trick/Joan Jett/Heart concert Sunday evening before heading home.  Three days across AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS, AL and FL, including a flat on the RV in NM.  Rolled the Thing up to the garage and parked it 2am Thursday.  I'll check it out after CMP.  It was a lot of fun and we appreciate the moral support, especially Wednesday morning in Fallon when we realized we were screwed after pulling an all-night drive to catch up.  But our troubles were cake compared with what some of you made look routine.  Congratulations on a marginally intelligent achievement!

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014

No, your troubles weren't minor. You backed out of Death Valley for how many miles?

Survived one coast-to-coast in a Thing, followed by another one in a freaking Uhaul.

Aside from that, how did Cheap Trick sound? They just aren't the same without Bun E. Carlos smile

Made it home to Oregon just fine with the kiddos in the Toyota Tacoma. 

One causality in San Francisco with a stolen bike...I thought for sure they'd be stolen in Bakersfield!

Now to finish my FarmRod, a '71 Ford F250 for next years rally!

Better start getting the '51 Chevy ready for next years rally. I guess I could get a new radiator, but the body drop airbag system needs attention. Decisions...decisions...

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook