Re: Real 24hour races

Brett85p wrote:

I liked the day night race, Saturday 10 am to midnight.

It allows those who want to run in the dark to get their fix and we still get the party after and all day Sunday to get home.

I agree a little bit of night racing would be cool, but its nice to have a break to work on the car so even 10am-10pm would work.

You really have to know the track to be effective at night.  I had a bunch of SCCA races at VIR and was pretty comfortable with the track.  As we had a couple of drivers who didn't have good night vision (one of them was our fastest driver but age isn't kind to night vision) I was volunteered to do both my stints at night.  Nothing quite like lapping a V8 Mustang with an n/a 4 cylinder Mustang in a stint, and I'm not a fast driver.
Generally teams are looking for a&d because they normally run with 4 drivers and a 24 pretty much requires 6.  We typically would join up with another team and would have 8 people to draw on.  As has been mentioned keeping a car running for 24 is significantly harder than a normal weekend for us.  It's not just the hours, it's also that no one is at their best troubleshooting or repairing things at 2 am.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Dave wrote:

My first race was The Lamest Day 2009 and I said I would never do one again! I did the 24 at Autobahn 2015 and I'll never do another one!

Preach!  My team keeps thinking I will change my mind...they are wrong.  We endured (together! and you guys rocked) but it was just that...endurance.  I love Lemons for the Community and I was too tired to enjoy it even when it was there.

To be fair, the dustbuster broke down so much that you were up most of the night fixing things. I think that a race where the car is a little more reliable would be more enjoyable. I want to do another 24 just on the off chance that I end up waiting for the parts store to open in full race gear again. The looks I got were priceless.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

My first 24 was at VIR and was miserable. I said I'd never do another, but time has a way of softening the memories, so I took the Supra to Homestead 2 years later. Not so miserable but definitely more difficult than usual because we raced from Midnight (Dec 31st) to Midnight (Jan 1st). No sleep for more than 36 hours. The car had a few issues but took the checkered flag and it felt great, but I told myself "never again".

Riiiiiight. 2 years later Lemons scheduled Joliet and I HAD to do it! After a long tow from Atlanta we had a great time with only 4 drivers and no crew - by this time we knew what to expect during a 24. It's a mental test more than a physical one, and you learn more about your car than any race less than 15 hours.

As others have mentioned it's hell on a car. My engine was on it's way out anyway due to water loss, but my transmission got crunchy after 20 hours and I blew up the diff at 2am. We replaced the diff and soldiered on to 6th place. THAT was a great feeling. You will find weak spots in your car in these races that result in better reliability in any future race. DO NOT take an unproven or unreliable car to a 24.

The one thing missing from Autobahn was the socializing, but we knew there would be compromises and enjoy the 24-hour format.

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

revvhappy wrote:

but time has a way of softening the memories

Not for me for that experience.  Team wants to run...sure, I will help prep the car then show up as a spectator with cooler of beer and a chair.

We do one most years. It's fun, but brutal, especially with 4 people. Right after the race, we're wondering what possessed us to volunteer for that kind of hell, but after a year we forget the bad parts and think that it sounds like a neat idea again. We're stupid that way.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

rmcdaniels wrote:

We do one most years. It's fun, but brutal, especially with 4 people. Right after the race, we're wondering what possessed us to volunteer for that kind of hell, but after a year we forget the bad parts and think that it sounds like a neat idea again. We're stupid that way.

+1.  I seem to do one per year also, and after every one I say "I'm not doing THAT again".  I'm too old to stay up all night anyway.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Anyone considered doing true shifts with some dedicated Crew? That way everyone can get a reasonable amount of sleep. a 24 split into 3 alternating "Shifts" wouldn't be THAT much of a nightmare.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

Anyone considered doing true shifts with some dedicated Crew? That way everyone can get a reasonable amount of sleep. a 24 split into 3 alternating "Shifts" wouldn't be THAT much of a nightmare.

We tried...did not work.  Only two of us were experienced/competent enough to fix crap when it broke.  Those two guys got no real rest.

It's hardest on the den mother.  I didn't sleep at all my first one.  Everyone else did.  I had to wake the next guy up after my 2am stint to get into his gear and drive.  The second one we had more people who could work on the car.  I told them I would try to sleep and wake me up 15 minutes before my 4am stint.  I flopped around for a while thinking I wasn't going to get to sleep.  This time I was the one being woken up by the previous driver.  The 3rd one I sat down in a beach chair next to the hot pit while it was dark and next thing I know I woke up in sunlight with another driver next to me asleep.  He was the guy who we had sent out before I sat down and a pit stop/driver change/refuel had happened 10 feet from me and I slept through the whole thing.  I think that learning to sleep comes with experience.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Recruit some shift workers to the team...I have heard that in the Real Racing series that the night drivers start sleeping during the days  leading up to the race.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

It's also a lot easier with mandatory pit stop times. We did our 24's with another series, and with a 5-minute mandatory pit stop, we could easily get everything done with two drivers, the guy getting out of the car and the guy getting in to the car. That way we could put each driver on shifts; 2 hours on standby in case the current driver needs an early relief, 2 hours in the car, then 4 hours off to eat/sleep/poop/etc. With Lemons we need our pit stops to be half that in order to be competitive, so we suit all 4 drivers for each stop. I really like mandatory 5 min pit stops. I also really like 2 hour max driving stints.

Its also important that the team understands how the night part of racing works.  Just because you may have told them all a dozen times the plan that the person who just got out of the car has to stay up and wake the next driver before his stint, doesn't mean that they all won't go to bed the moment you get in the car and you have to wake them up when you are running out of gas.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

rmcdaniels wrote:

It's also a lot easier with mandatory pit stop times. We did our 24's with another series, and with a 5-minute mandatory pit stop, we could easily get everything done with two drivers, the guy getting out of the car and the guy getting in to the car. That way we could put each driver on shifts; 2 hours on standby in case the current driver needs an early relief, 2 hours in the car, then 4 hours off to eat/sleep/poop/etc. With Lemons we need our pit stops to be half that in order to be competitive, so we suit all 4 drivers for each stop. I really like mandatory 5 min pit stops. I also really like 2 hour max driving stints.

I like the 5 min stop but dislike the 2hr max stint length.  The 2hr max removes all strategy.  Let's say I have a car that is 10 seconds a lap slower than you but we both have to stop every 2hrs.  If neither of us has a problem I will never catch you.  However, if my 10 seconds slower a lap translates into me being able to go 3hrs to your 2hrs, at the end of an 8 hr day, I'm pretty close to even with you.  If we all have to stop at the same time, it's a pure speed contest.  Granted all that goes out the window if you spend $$$$ to put a big fuel cell in your car so you too can go 3hrs but if you want to race checkbooks you probably will beat me anyway.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

40 (edited by rmcdaniels 2016-10-27 05:09 PM)

cheseroo wrote:

Granted all that goes out the window if you spend $$$$ to put a big fuel cell in your car so you too can go 3hrs

That's my main dislike about long stint lengths. I also don't like pushing drivers to go 3 hours; I think that's just too long. Given that I am over 50 and somewhat broken, maybe I just don't like pushing me to go over 3 hours, but I think that 2 hour stints still leaves plenty of strategery to go around. We won two races this year (three if you count Class E, but we don't) and were always mid-pack speed-wise, plus we have a tiny stock tank and start fuel-starving before 2 hours are up, so it can be done. You just need to not screw up and eventually you get lucky.

That is what makes Lemons great or terrible depending on your view.

Take our Plymouth...flathead 6 burns less than 4 gallons per hour and we pass less than 4 cars a race.  Once the suspension is better sorted, our only hope is 3+ hour stints to win Class C.  So should we be disallowed from realistically even competing in the only way we can?

Yes, definitely. Class C is for hopeless lunatics. They shouldn't even declare a winner; nobody in Class C should ever be encouraged to think that what they are doing could ever be interpreted as "winning". The fastest car in Class C should be kicked to Class B and the team should be publicly shamed at the awards ceremony.

The unlimited stint length has allowed our class B car to compete in A. I drove for 4hrs 10 minutes Saturday at Gingerman and Andrew did the same. I'm not young or fit but we have a comfortable seat, hydration and fresh air into the helmet. It helped that the temp was around 60 outside and we had a couple of full course cautions but at the end of my time I felt like I could have easily done another 30 minutes.

We finished Saturday 3rd overall with the slowest time in the top 10. To do this we needed to run 4th gear a lot and not push as hard as we would have liked but our large fuel cell ($250 from Jegs) allowed us to compete in A class without adding HP ($$$).

it's not always possible to take advantage of these 4+hr stints but it's nice to have as an option and helps take the sting away when a Camero or BMW blasts past us on the straights smile

Brett85p wrote:

I drove for 4hrs 10 minutes Saturday at Gingerman and Andrew did the same.

That is insane.  No way would I want to drive/concentrate that hard for 4 hours.   I'm taxed after 2, but since our car will just barely make 2 hours, I don't have to worry about it.

Captain

45 (edited by Brett85p 2016-10-28 07:07 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

I drove for 4hrs 10 minutes Saturday at Gingerman and Andrew did the same.

That is insane.  No way would I want to drive/concentrate that hard for 4 hours.   I'm taxed after 2, but since our car will just barely make 2 hours, I don't have to worry about it.

I thought the same thing but figured I'd give it a go and come in if I felt like i was losing concentration. I think that the cooler temperature and busy track helped a lot. I doubt I could repeat in summer.
But it is endurance racing so those that can should be able to. In my view my 21 races make me I was less dangerous than most of the yahoos out there!

46 (edited by BoB 2016-10-28 07:35 AM)

How long you can run in a stint I think really depends on the driver, and from what I can tell its more a mental thing.  The more relaxed you are while racing the longer you'll probably be able to run.  I've had my team leave me out for an extra hour or so over what I thought I would go a few times, always without telling me, and never have I felt exhausted after the stint.  The only time I really felt wiped was a summer race when I was out during the hottest part of the day and I don't think they put extra ice in the coolsuit system.  Now I'm not in a fast car, but that actually means I have to be looking forward and backwards at all times which should make it worse.  I am completely relaxed in my car though since its like a big security blanket to me.

I've always felt the manditory stint times and pit times really limits what cars will be successful, and doing it will make it so only certain cars can be competitive so those are the only ones the will get raced.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Brett85p wrote:

has allowed our class B car to compete in A.

I think this is the real problem, but I've probably beaten that dead horse more then enough. Or maybe just a few more whacks. I mean, it's dead, so who am I hurting?

Limited stint times limit what cars can be successful in exactly the same manner that unlimited stint times do, just toward different cars. There are some contests that I think are good for the sport, and some, like who can buy the biggest fuel cell, that aren't.

BoB wrote:

The only time I really felt wiped was a summer race when I was out during the hottest part of the day and I don't think they put extra ice in the coolsuit system.  Now I'm not in a fast car, but that actually means I have to be looking forward and backwards at all times which should make it worse.  I am completely relaxed in my car though since its like a big security blanket to me.

I've been doing this for quite a while now, so I'm pretty relaxed and comfortable behind the wheel.  However, I'm 51 years old, and all but one of our races are in the summer.  Even with a cool suit, and hydration system, I'm pretty spent after 2 hours.  I could probably do 3 hours if I *had* to, but not more.

Captain

rmcdaniels wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

has allowed our class B car to compete in A.

I think this is the real problem, but I've probably beaten that dead horse more then enough. Or maybe just a few more whacks. I mean, it's dead, so who am I hurting?

Limited stint times limit what cars can be successful in exactly the same manner that unlimited stint times do, just toward different cars. There are some contests that I think are good for the sport, and some, like who can buy the biggest fuel cell, that aren't.

I respectfully disagree, short stints favor heavy fast cars, just look at chump with the 2 hour limits. Having cars out of sync on lap times and able to run some fuel strategy makes the race interesting and exciting to me.

My fear is if we had say 2 hour stints that we would end up with a day of 2 hour sprint races with the carnage that would come with it. The current 24 gallon rule seems to work ok, the Cameros/BMWs are running 2.5-3 hrs and NA 4 cylinders up to 4 hours with a 5-10 second per lap speed difference (based on my recent experience). If anything limit fuel capacity to something like 18-20 gallons so the smaller cars still get to compete but the overall stint length is shorter all round.

Looking forward to sampling some of your fine brews at Barber!

I think that we can shorten that to "short stints favor fast cars", which I can agree with.

The problem that I see is that this is not the first time that I've seen where cars extend their stints because they are in a class where they aren't competitive. I'd rather fix classing than give the guy with the biggest fuel tank the advantage. I gave up on classing because of this. My entire racing effort is pretty much a big middle finger to the Lemons classing system.