1 (edited by nickzourdos 2016-10-13 09:50 AM)

Topic: Fixed seats? Short/Tall Drivers?

One of the drivers on my team is significantly taller than the rest of us, what are the specifics around having a seat on rails? I see there's a lot of rules about securing the seat and making sure it can't fail backward, but how have other teams accomplished this? What other things do we need to look out for with a giant driver?

2 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-10-13 10:40 AM)

Re: Fixed seats? Short/Tall Drivers?

First thing, make sure the giant can clear all cage members per the rules.  The are tricks to use with added bars in really small cars but they should be the last resort.

Second thing is, can the really tall guy physically use a fixed position that the average drives can use?  Yeah, he might be less comfortable but can he safely operate the vehicle?  No?

Sliders need to be double locking and not allow the seat to rock.  There are commercially available ones but I have used the Volvo 240 sliders (look like the ones Sparco sells) and others have used Jeep Cherokee sliders.  Our current car has Sebring convertible sliders for a whole host of unrelated reasons.

Put the slider on a ramp so the average driver is at the perfect height and the NBA star is as low as you can get him.  Watch your belt angles and you distance to the harness bar.

Might I suggest factory powered seats with memory for quick and easy adjustment?

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14595724_10100104068757462_8755917474438878060_n.jpg?oh=00fb03e5839418349dfbac6259da89b4&oe=58AE0764

(hope that shows up, from my personal facebook with privacy settings)

Second the above. Sliders need to be double locking. OEM stuff is good because of what it was designed to. Really make sure the larger drivers fit height wise. For the NH race coming up I have drivers that range from 5'5" to 6'2", and amazingly our seated height only differs by 1.5", the rest is in the legs.

If you're on sliders you will likely need a seat back brace to make sure you stay within the 6" rule.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

FWIW, this is what the seatback brace looks like.  This one is from I/O Port.  The pin is removed to move the seat and then reinserted.

http://www.stableenergies.com/images/sbb.jpg

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

FWIW, this is what the seatback brace looks like.  This one is from I/O Port.  The pin is removed to move the seat and then reinserted.

That's great, thanks!

TheEngineer wrote:

If you're on sliders you will likely need a seat back brace to make sure you stay within the 6" rule.

Can you elaborate? What is the 6" rule?

nickzourdos wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

That's great, thanks!

TheEngineer wrote:

Can you elaborate? What is the 6" rule?

If the seat is more than 6in from the harness bar you need a seat back brace to support the seat in an accident.  If the seat is not sufficiently ridged then you need a seat back brace to support it no mater what.  Seat back braces can be fabricated pretty easily as well.

3.F.1.c Seats Without Seatback Braces. If a seatback brace is not used, a strong, seat-width element such as a shoulder-harness bar must be located within six inches of the seatback to prevent the seat from failing rearward.

What the first car we bough did was they build a frame under the aluminum seat to support it.  We had a short driver so we built a spacer to go between the seat and the frame.  Here is a picture. 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ksymQrpKaDo9SFBXRZ5JI4b_mC5rGXeMD4upmye3-HA-TXVvPsFNH_OUMnAlZv0RDd5TA7hqpg=w1680-h1050-rw-no

The green lines are bolts.   It worked fairly well and seamed reasonably safe.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

What they said.

Your seat back must be within 6" of something solid to prevent rearward failure. Normally you're close to the harness bar, but if you're moving the seat forward you need one of those braces.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Print multiple copies of this...

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/images/H … s-Tech.pdf

...and memorize it.  If you have your cage built for you, go over it page by page with the builder.  Just using a known "better" spec from SCCA or NASA does not always meet all the rules as ours are specifically geared toward the huge size and speed differentials not normally seen in other series on the same track at the same time.  Besides, it is all pictures so even a pipefitter can follow it.

mully006 wrote:

What the first car we bough did was they build a frame under the aluminum seat to support it.  We had a short driver so we built a spacer to go between the seat and the frame.  Here is a picture. 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ksymQrpKaDo9SFBXRZ5JI4b_mC5rGXeMD4upmye3-HA-TXVvPsFNH_OUMnAlZv0RDd5TA7hqpg=w1680-h1050-rw-no

The green lines are bolts.   It worked fairly well and seamed reasonably safe.

Why is there a rabbit driving your car..???  big_smile

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Thanks everyone! Great information here, you've all been very helpful!

11 (edited by SlowMotionFire 2016-10-26 05:16 PM)

We have 3 drivers of the same height and 1 shorter driver, we use a fixed seat. Our shorter driver made himself a stiff foam booster cushion to sit on. if you use this method make sure the submarine belt is set to a length that works for all drivers.

#814, Nothin's Hotter Than A Cougar Racing, 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7

Sparco makes a set of double locking sliders that bolt to bottom-mount racing seats. They cost $80 at Jegs. We've been using them for years in the Duff car and they work well.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!