Topic: Recommendations for a steering wheel

So at Loudon as we were coming in to pit our driver dropped a wheel off and was T-boned trying to enter the pit lane.  When he got hit what probably was a small crack broke our steering wheel.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a steering wheel, smallish in diameter, with a 6 bolt hub. 

Thanks in advance guys.

Sparky.

DNF Racing 1992 Mazda Miata
"Cheat to win"

Re: Recommendations for a steering wheel

2 pairs of Vise Grips.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I like our NRG wheel and I believe they come in 6 bolt adapters. Grant also makes pretty good wheels.
My current setup:
NRG ST-007S Two-Button Series 320mm Sport Black Suede Steering Wheel
REB-270-8630: REBCO steering wheel disconnect
CBM-10956: 3bolt grant to 6 bolt MOMO adapter
One 4-lead quick disconnect connector & shaver wire (the curly stuff) to allow the wheel to quick disconnect)

When shopping for wheels, make sure to take into account the "dish" (how deep the offset the steering plane is from where it bolts to the column). I purchased one with minimal dish because my adapter and quick release assembly made up for the difference between the stock wheel position and the aftermarket one.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:

I like our NRG wheel and I believe they come in 6 bolt adapters. Grant also makes pretty good wheels.
My current setup:
One 4-lead quick disconnect connector & shaver wire (the curly stuff) to allow the wheel to quick disconnect)

When shopping for wheels, make sure to take into account the "dish" (how deep the offset the steering plane is from where it bolts to the column). I purchased one with minimal dish because my adapter and quick release assembly made up for the difference between the stock wheel position and the aftermarket one.

We currently disconnect the wheel with every driver.  It is kindof necessary to do that with our car(miata) and driving position (Gangsta style). So replugging in the button on the wheel would be annoying at the least. 

But I do thank you for remembering the dish (our current one doesn't have any). and your recommendations.

Sparky.

DNF Racing 1992 Mazda Miata
"Cheat to win"

7" diameter chrome chain link FTW of course!

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

For the buttons I used a retracting coil cable with 8 conductors. you just wrap it around the steering column once as you put the wheel on.

Why 8 conductors?
2 Horn
2 PTT
2 Windshield washer
2 Flash To Pass (inop in race config)

I'd have a better picture but I'm really lazy about taking pictures.
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh354/mzaite/IMG_4044_zps8n94ggwx.jpg

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

CTSparky wrote:
gunn wrote:

My current setup:

We currently disconnect the wheel with every driver.  It is kindof necessary to do that with our car(miata) and driving position (Gangsta style). So replugging in the button on the wheel would be annoying at the least. 

But I do thank you for remembering the dish (our current one doesn't have any). and your recommendations.

Sparky.

1) My retracting cord has enough give that you can move it all around and keep it connected -- very similar to what the guy depicted below.
2) For bigger people in smaller cars, you might also want to consider a d-shaped or flat bottom wheel.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4