Re: Retreat from Moscow 2017, who is going? and in what?

Was seriously considering the Snipe, but had to pass, due to the fact that I had my 14 year old daughter along for the trip back from the West Coast.

Now, after driving my hastily found/similarly priced alternative 2500 miles back home, I am afraid it may be too good for the rally.  I need to find a theme, but what...

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/El_Oel_Cooter/Mobile%20Uploads/_DSC8605_zpsjgqnymhp.jpg

Just registered yesterday, here's our no-where-near-close entry....

https://c2.staticflickr.com/1/707/32062376425_3e84c2809e_b.jpg20161127_141928 by cslynn85, on Flickr

Squatting Dog Racing
2000 Mustang - sold to those Hokie Pokie losers
1970 Valiant - 2015 Southern Discomfort Organizer's Choice - 2016 Southern Discomfort Most Heroic Fix

Got really sick and had to call off 5 scheduled thrash days. It's going to be reaaallly tight. One more day of slip and I'll likely be showing up in my hooptie '13 Subaru BRZ instead. Where the only real dangers are the battery dying on me because I left the lights on while I got lunch, running out of gas, and being lynched for having heated seats.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

C-MORE wrote:

...our no-where-near-close entry....

Simply bolt on a couple of trailer fenders, preferably with attached tail lights, and voilà! Instant rally cred. No need to overthink things.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

BTW, did I see someone was getting a Vandura in Pennsylvania?

Because I saw the most epic Vandura abandoned at my local park & ride with PA transit tags on it late last week. Dually chassis cab Vandura 3500 with a police tactical box on it. Done up for some bumfuck little town in PA. Still had all the markings. Still had the light bar and everything. I suspect someone bought it and was driving it home in that condition and the MD state police saw it, Had Concerns™ and made them park it until they came back and covered the light bar and word "POLICE".

Or, you know, it broke down naturally because ancient-assed Vandura 3500 tactical vehicle maintained by a small town police department with no conceivable need for a tactical vehicle.

That would:
1) Be the most awesome rally vehicle imaginable
2) Be the most Lemons contempt-for-giving-any-fucks scenario imaginable.
3) Be worth a beer or two

Team FinalGear

81 (edited by EyeMWing 2017-01-02 09:31 PM)

mharrell wrote:
C-MORE wrote:

Simply bolt on a couple of trailer fenders, preferably with attached tail lights, and voilà! Instant rally cred. No need to overthink things.

Hell, the Roadkill guys will like it instantly. STARTING without a hood. Mint.

Edit: I just looked more closely at the photo and realized what that actually is. MADNESS.

Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

Because I saw the most epic Vandura abandoned at my local park & ride with PA transit tags on it late last week. Dually chassis cab Vandura 3500 with a police tactical box on it. Done up for some bumfuck little town in PA. Still had all the markings. Still had the light bar and everything. I suspect someone bought it and was driving it home in that condition and the MD state police saw it, Had Concerns™ and made them park it until they came back and covered the light bar and word "POLICE".

Or, you know, it broke down naturally because ancient-assed Vandura 3500 tactical vehicle maintained by a small town police department with no conceivable need for a tactical vehicle.

That would:

I was supposed to be getting a Vandura, but it's not a box truck... But that's probably not going to happen... The van is in PA but it needs a transmission, and I'm in FL till the 30th

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

Shvd_Box wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

That would:

I was supposed to be getting a Vandura, but it's not a box truck... But that's probably not going to happen... The van is in PA but it needs a transmission, and I'm in FL till the 30th

Codriver has a... Well, it came out of an '81 Corvette. Turbo 350? 400? That's the only GM transmission name I know, anyway.... shoved in a corner of my garage. If the van will limp to the start line on its existing driveline, you could start the rally with a trans swap!

It's not like vans are hard to work on or anything.

Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:
mharrell wrote:
C-MORE wrote:

Hell, the Roadkill guys will like it instantly. STARTING without a hood. Mint.

Edit: I just looked more closely at the photo and realized what that actually is. MADNESS.

Fun with CVPIs...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

so we originally registered planning on driving a topless miata for the rally.  Then we found a truely terrible hooptie.  a 1993 Range rover classic,  500 bucks,  ans we overpaid at that price! drive shaft locked up,  no heat (thats a 10 hour job right there,  to replace the heater core)  so much rust the back door is falling off,   engine didn,t start -  when we got it started -  it ran for 3 minutes and shut off.  coolant leak -  other than that -  in perfect condition!

we are curretly racing the clock and british engineering to get the thing ready -  we just signed up for AAZA extended.  Between the 2 of us - we have 800 miles of tows -  100 miles at a time -  it's good to have a backup plan!

Tow truck relay rally!

Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:
C-MORE wrote:

wink

Squatting Dog Racing
1970 Valiant - 2015 Southern Discomfort Organizer's Choice - 2016 Southern Discomfort Most Heroic Fix

I "fixed" my windshield wiper motor with a hammer and zip-tied the kickdown (TV on a ford?) cable back to the throttle so it will down shift much more effectively than before. Still need to get the thing to generate some heat so I don't freeze to death and maybe find some "better" junkyard takeoff tires for the back so I can still move in the snow. Then fix anything else that breaks between now and the start,  almost ready...

prentmarriner wrote:

I "fixed" my windshield wiper motor with a hammer and zip-tied the kickdown (TV on a ford?) cable back to the throttle so it will down shift much more effectively than before. Still need to get the thing to generate some heat so I don't freeze to death and maybe find some "better" junkyard takeoff tires for the back so I can still move in the snow. Then fix anything else that breaks between now and the start,  almost ready...

If it's a TV cable I'm assuming it's an AOD? If so, be careful, a broken or poorly adjusted TV cable *will* kill an AOD.

Squatting Dog Racing

I just finished the deal for the free Subaru Legacy Wagon from Fiasco. What's the worst that can happen in a 220k mile Subaru that leaks from everything that contains fluids, has bald tires, and minor floorboard rust, and cost a whopping $10 to register to drive?

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

Shvd_Box wrote:

I just finished the deal for the free Subaru Legacy Wagon from Fiasco. What's the worst that can happen in a 220k mile Subaru that leaks from everything that contains fluids, has bald tires, and minor floorboard rust, and cost a whopping $10 to register to drive?

I see no flaws in this plan. Go forth and prosper.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I'm in.  Going to be in a 1986 Volvo wagon, because all other cars are shit.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Shvd_Box wrote:

The worst that can happen is that I steal your rear sway bar in the depths of night.

Which also means stealing your rear lateral link arms, because mine are some bootleg 1-year design where the sway end links are unobtanium.

Team FinalGear

I'm going. In a decadently luxurious press car, of course.

Trevor57 wrote:

Going to be in a 1986 Volvo wagon, because all other cars are shit.

I wish you better luck than I had when I tried to reach the previous rally in my 1976 Volvo. I made it from Seattle to about halfway through Oregon:

https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8278/29015871365_d25b08df64_z.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
Trevor57 wrote:

Going to be in a 1986 Volvo wagon, because all other cars are shit.

I wish you better luck than I had when I tried to reach the previous rally in my 1976 Volvo. I made it from Seattle to about halfway through Oregon:

https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8278/29015871365_d25b08df64_z.jpg

That sucks.  I have a secret weapon, so I may make the 750 miles to the start line at least.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Anyone else driving over a 1,000 miles to get to the start?

My direct route is a little shy of 500 miles. Who is coming the farthest? Or rather, who is driving the farthest as there will be some fly ins?

I'm driving in from Colorado Springs.  What could go wrong with a car I plan on running at Roadkill's Ziptie drags?

100 (edited by fiasco 2017-01-07 08:00 AM)

EyeMWing wrote:
Shvd_Box wrote:

The worst that can happen is that I steal your rear sway bar in the depths of night.

Which also means stealing your rear lateral link arms, because mine are some bootleg 1-year design where the sway end links are unobtanium.

This car has the Kartboy sway-bar end links since I nuked the stock ones in 75k miles.

And I should add more pictures to the rust files here:

https://lemonsfiasco.wordpress.com/2016 … -for-sale/