Re: Retreat from Moscow 2017, who is going? and in what?

jimmystikx wrote:

Anyone else driving over a 1,000 miles to get to the start?

1076 here

Team Fairlylame
HumidiTT '14 IOE Winner

jimmystikx wrote:

Anyone else driving over a 1,000 miles to get to the start?

I'm driving 700 miles to meet up with my teammate and our ride. From there we're just over 1000 miles to Scranton.

That guy that likes the Oldsmobile Diesel for some reason.

We will be driving about 600 miles to star(or 6 tanks of gas-easy math). I think we are going to stay with family in DC on Sunday night. I'm imagining that there will still be fires burning and people with torches all over two weeks after the inauguration. I think driving a 40 year old smoking beast through the city will either scare people or incite awe.

1973ish ford bronco - 3 speeds but none are fast.

I have to go 1376 to get the rally car, then another 323 to the start...

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

190 to the start of I take the direct route, 200 if I decide to cruise up the Poconos.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I just drove my rally car 2500 to get it home after buying it on a whim a week ago.  Then it is another 712 to Moscow.

107 (edited by EyeMWing 2017-01-15 12:25 PM)

For the first time in a month, it looks doable to make the start line in the correct car. Just need...

Brakes - Banjo bolts, crush washers, bleed.
Fuel system - 2x hose clamps, refill, pray it doesn't leak
Coolant - drain and refill (what's a flush?)
Front diff - refill
Transmission - refill
Alignment - Rear wheels.
Electrical - Install CB, USB charger

Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

For the first time in a month, it looks doable to make the start line in the correct car. Just need...

Front diff - refill
Transmission - refill
Alignment - Rear wheels.

I guess maybe I should have prayed when I put my fuel tank back in the last time, because it is coming back out now. Fuel is dumping out of it now, so back at the fuel tank for another round. Then I have to build my makeshift center console/cup holder/CB mount/ power outlet and wire that in, mount up my better rear tires (buddy totaled his rig with a close enough tire size and two new rears), try to get a little more air out of the brakes, cover part of the radiator to try to build more heat and a little roof rigging and I should be set to go.

prentmarriner wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

Front diff - refill
Transmission - refill
Alignment - Rear wheels.

I guess maybe I should have prayed when I put my fuel tank back in the last time, because it is coming back out now. Fuel is dumping out of it now, so back at the fuel tank for another round. Then I have to build my makeshift center console/cup holder/CB mount/ power outlet and wire that in, mount up my better rear tires (buddy totaled his rig with a close enough tire size and two new rears), try to get a little more air out of the brakes, cover part of the radiator to try to build more heat and a little roof rigging and I should be set to go.

This sounds like my world. Just built New center console with cup holder, 12v and a couple old speakers. Need to rebleed brakes for the 4th time. Gas tank is good, but when I installed it 12 years ago it leaked like a stuck pig. Roof is layered with two soft tops and a camping sleeping pad between them. Ready to roll.

Mine just made its first test drive, a whole 3 miles, fairly successfully. Things are looking up!

Squatting Dog Racing
2000 Mustang - sold to those Hokie Pokie losers
1970 Valiant - 2015 Southern Discomfort Organizer's Choice - 2016 Southern Discomfort Most Heroic Fix

Good enough to go around the block, good enough to drive across the country, eh?

http://truckholic.com/e/2016/11/2017-mercedes-benz-s550-side-view-exterior-headlights-and-alloy-wheels-2017-mercedes-s550-release.jpg

I thought about flying out and buying a hooptie GM car near the airport, but instead I'm going to take the points penalty for a press car and drive one of these.

Judge Phil wrote:

http://truckholic.com/e/2016/11/2017-mercedes-benz-s550-side-view-exterior-headlights-and-alloy-wheels-2017-mercedes-s550-release.jpg

I thought about flying out and buying a hooptie GM car near the airport, but instead I'm going to take the points penalty for a press car and drive one of these.

How many points do I get if I bring you a car to drive?

Squatting Dog Racing
2000 Mustang - sold to those Hokie Pokie losers
1970 Valiant - 2015 Southern Discomfort Organizer's Choice - 2016 Southern Discomfort Most Heroic Fix

Mercedes is trying to establish themselves as the ultimate in the 'Leave schlubs literally for dead on the side of the highway in the frozen tundra' market, and there's only one journalist servicing that market!

Team FinalGear

115 (edited by EyeMWing 2017-01-16 09:08 PM)

Well I managed to post twice, so I'll just edit this one to say: Oops.

Team FinalGear

There were attempts to obtain a press vehicle that could launch over anything at 70 mph without spilling a drop of coffee, but press availability was apparently non-existent for such vehicles at the moment for a week. Instead, I will be launching over things at 70 mph in a rental, as god intended.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Two weeks to go, and diff blows up, wiper linkage don't linkage, and have to hook up a video camera to record the fuel pressure gauge. I'm sure this car will be fine though.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu313/trevor57/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170110_092240515.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu313/trevor57/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170117_141326502.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu313/trevor57/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170117_121706167.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu313/trevor57/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170110_133356272.jpg

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

And I thought I was bad off... All I have to do is put the engine back into the Niva. Fortunately it's warmed up a ton here this week so between that and a couple space heaters I've got the draughty uninsulated shed up to around 30°F.

We're coming from Harrisburg PA in a 1968 Pontiac LeMans. New tires, front brakes and brake hoses were all done last weekend. Now onto building the new engine for the trip this weekend. 2 weeks away, you say?  I still got time...

I'll be driving to Atlanta from Savannah on Sunday to pick up my co-driver. We will depart from ATL Monday morning.

Team Fairlylame
HumidiTT '14 IOE Winner

Whoops. Wrong thread.

Team Fairlylame
HumidiTT '14 IOE Winner

On my way in for an alignment yesterday  (I know luxury) truck tried to kill me. Brake bias in the rain was 10%front 90%rear. Got sideways at a red light. It was a slow motion sideways skid into an intersection. Great thing was the truck I passed at the light turned out to be the alignment guy at the shop.

Chased parts all day 4 hours of driving around trying to find a proportioning valve that would fit. All local parts places said couldn't sell one directly to me because of liability.¯\_(ツ)_/¯  I picked up a residual pressure valve to try locally,  but it didn't fix it, I finally found a proportioning valve at a hot rod shop about 45 minutes away. Picked it up and got back to the alignment shop just before closing.  It became one of those compounding problems That trys to steal your soul.

Evidentially proportioning valves are important.

Car just consumed the speed bleeder valves from my daily drive. Apparently bleeding brakes is hard when the bleeders are literally rusted shut.

Team FinalGear

aaronmichorn wrote:

On my way in for an alignment yesterday  (I know luxury) truck tried to kill me. Brake bias in the rain was 10%front 90%rear. Got sideways at a red light. It was a slow motion sideways skid into an intersection. Great thing was the truck I passed at the light turned out to be the alignment guy at the shop.

Chased parts all day 4 hours of driving around trying to find a proportioning valve that would fit. All local parts places said couldn't sell one directly to me because of liability.¯\_(ツ)_/¯  I picked up a residual pressure valve to try locally,  but it didn't fix it, I finally found a proportioning valve at a hot rod shop about 45 minutes away. Picked it up and got back to the alignment shop just before closing.  It became one of those compounding problems That trys to steal your soul.

Evidentially proportioning valves are important.

That's a bizarre rationale. Apart from fake hood scoops and license plate frames, what parts in a parts store CAN'T possibly cause damage or injury if misused? seems like they better not sell any parts at all, for safety's sake!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Or if they DON'T sell you a critical, life-saveing piece of equipment like that required for proper brake functioning, they could be held liable. No?