Topic: What's the best way to get onto a team?

What's the best way to get onto a team? I am curious because I want to be at the Atlanta event in December, but might not be able to field my own entry.

Racing cars is for rookies. Racing crapcans takes balls.

Re: What's the best way to get onto a team?

Just show up and pay the spectator entry fee is the easy way  to expose yourself to Lemons racing.
Or you can post here that your looking for a team to help out either in building a car, fixing/maintaining one, or supporting it at the track.
I help out a couple of teams while not being a member of either.

I do bring some tools and skills that the average Lemons team doesn't have. I've learned a lot  by working for a semi-pro road race team off and on over a 15 year time span and also club race my own cars since 1988.

When you post in the drivers looking for rides section here, also tell a little about yourself, skills, demeanor, location, and what type of car your looking for.  For example, fast guys looking to win and place high are a bad fit for my team.  Someone who understands we will finish poorly, come together as a team WHEN things break, and there is a chance all but drunkiness could be lost by 1:00 Saturday is a good fit for us. 

Also, if you're on FaceBook post the same info on the Lemons Racer Lounge too.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

4 (edited by johnvukovich 2017-04-29 10:43 AM)

You could actually get your own car/team together pretty cheaply if you buy our Crown Vic police car.  (Look on the Baton Rouge, Louisiana Craigslist for "24 Hours of Lemons Race Car".)  We started it 2 years ago and when the legendary "Louisiana Flood of 2016" hit, the car took on water and so did most of our team's houses and workshops.  Much too much going on right now wit houses and workshops to spend any time on the race car, unfortunately.  Actually - We'd just about give it away if someone would come and get it (We're keeping the brand new Corbeau racing seat and track if we can.).  Or, one of us can deliver it most anywhere in the US for the right fee (and you get a more or less "free" car in the deal!).
email me at shotgunbluesbrotherhood(at)gmail.com and we'll talk!
Good luck, and be careful out there!

jimbbski wrote:

Just show up and pay the spectator entry fee is the easy way  to expose yourself to Lemons racing.
Or you can post here that your looking for a team to help out either in building a car, fixing/maintaining one, or supporting it at the track.
I help out a couple of teams while not being a member of either.

This is how we got two of our team members.  Showing up Friday by noon to watch folks go through Tech gives you chance to find the new teams tha are behind the 8-ball and potentially about to implode (at least one per race.) and you can step right in for the next race.  For most teams less than 50% of their "team" makes it to the first race and of the original members, less than 1/3 will be there for the second.

Can't hurt to offer yourself up as "unofficial crew" to a new or understaffed team.  That is my first hands-on Lemons experience.  If you do either of the above...bring beer, bourbon or bacon...improves the chance people will notice you.