101 (edited by rlchv70 2017-07-06 06:27 PM)

Re: NCM KAN-Tucky! Who's in, AND Will there be a BBQ/Potluck?

Double post

Thanks, we still coming, but we are way behind deadlines cause of this.

Wheel Team 6 gonna be super late

Somebody post a summary. I'm in Slovakia and missed everything.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

105 (edited by Brett85p 2017-07-10 01:01 PM)

rmcdaniels wrote:

Good race, very clean, very few black flags and hardly any contact. Was a little surprised as it is a tight and technical track but for the most part people drove well and were respectful out there and passing was not as difficult as ti first appeared.

Done Racing Racing won the overall in the AMX/BMW, were fast and clean all weekend. Rod throwing fools and Squirting Coronas chased them hard all weekend getting within a couple of laps at times but could not beat them.

Boondoogle Racing won B in the Miata/Corvette, Product Design (Saturn) were leading into Sunday but were taken out by an overheated alternator.

The Ricky Bobby themed ex spec celebrity car Yall Racing? I think won C class head of Bad Decisions Racevan.

Speeedycop got IOE with the incredible rotated 90 degree VW Combi van that actually turned some pretty good laps.

Zero budget Racing got heroic fix, long story involving a blown up engine of Friday, crashed road car to get new head, install and start on turbo engine on Saturday, it was still no good, pull out and replace with non turbo and race all day Sunday.

Newbie team got screwed by a dodgy roll cage that was replaced and even dodgier then finally got on track to catch fire.

Potluck was a massive success and your fine beer was appreciated by many and the Merc was glorious on the track even if it did attract white flags from the corner workers indicating it as a slow car on track!

Thanks for the generator btw, it helped keep us cool over the weekend.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Thanks for the update. Robert was saying that driving the Merc made him miss the speed and acceleration of the electric car. I think that we can eventually sort it out into a Class C contender. It's kind of amazing that we took it from CL to the cage fabricator to the track without doing anything other than safety stuff, and it ran flawlessly all weekend. The Idle Clatter guys told us the W123 diesels were reliable tanks, and they appear to be correct. Now we need an extra cylinder or two and a turbo.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Potluck had an amazing sense of community, one that I would imagine you wouldn't find elsewhere...

Ta-Ta's also put a Caddy body over their F-Body beautifully, but then spent the weekend being towed off or working on a multitude of transmission issues.

I think NCM did not regret hosting us so hopefully we can have a repeat next year! Even with only 60 cars on 2 miles it seemed crowded at times without as much space width-wise as Gingerman for example and the outside curbs were pretty painful so they encouraged you to stay off them (although some teams repeatedly would include them as part of their blend line). Also maybe it was the expensive guardrails that encouraged us all to be better drivers and avoid stupid stuff that would also get us black flagged. Overall, it was definitely a fun & challenging course, with plenty of paddock (although little grass for tents) and nice facilities and very close to "civilization" if you needed to go to a grocery store or fast food joint.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

Brett85p wrote:
rmcdaniels wrote:

Good race, very clean, very few black flags and hardly any contact. Was a little surprised as it is a tight and technical track but for the most part people drove well and were respectful out there and passing was not as difficult as ti first appeared.

I spent the weekend trying to convince Jay the lack of black flags was because he had ME come out and whip y'all into shape. But then again, Steve McD claimed it was HIS rookie meeting.

Whatever it was, the penalty box was eerily quiet for long periods of time. There was a rash of egregious pit speeding on Saturday, but Roland came down from the tower and put the smackdown on that.

It was awesome meeting so many internet-familiar people and hearing all the tales of Woe and "Wow" in person.

Great job, everyone!

I think the low number of black flags was also due to the extremely generous runoff pavement on most of the tight corners. I know I used it more than once, and I certainly wasn't the only one. Also... maybe I shouldn't admit this, but when we started losing our brakes on Sunday, let's just say more than one driver on our team took advantage of the conveniently placed pit-in location after overcooking it coming into turn 14. An unscheduled garage drive-by is better than a 4-off...

The track was a lot of fun. Way tighter and more technical than it seemed from looking at the layout and watching a few lap videos. Lots of elevation. I was so busy out there I'd go for several laps without remembering to check my gauges. I hope there are enough cars next time to run the full course.

The potluck was incredible. Good variety of food, and everything I tried was delicious. There were a lot of Midwest teams, and it showed. Nobody does it like they do.

Wheel Team 6 (reportedly a bunch of soon to be deployed special forces guys) was the team with the roll cage problems and the car fire. But I think it was the special regional trophy, not the I Got Screwed. Something like "This was supposed to be the safe part"? The Ta-Tas won something for their Seville-bodied Camaro, but I forget what. I think Judges' Choice went to the team with the Kia Something-or-other they bought from a used car lot for $300. Thin Blue Swine (a team full of local cops) won something as well.

110 (edited by VKZ24 2017-07-11 11:54 AM)

We had a great time at the new track as well.  I too was surprised by the the low number of offs, speeding in the pits (sans Tow truck driver...damn he was doing like 50!), full course yellows, and general stupidity.    After running the test day on Friday, we just KNEW their would be carnage, but were surprised by the lack of it.  I will say the the level of aggression did seem to be quite elevated for a few teams of the fast cars.  The E30 with the florescent stripes couldn't wait one second longer even when I pointed them by.  The Camry team was just as bad having it turned up to 11.  By contrast the TaTas were fast, but courteous...unlike they were at Barber.  The  AMX/Z3 guys were fast, but courteous...unlike they were at Barber.  BTW, both those teams always give a WAVE after getting a point-by, which is courteous, and makes for future cooperation.  Translation...this is a race, and I don't have to point you by, or make it easy for you to pass, and can in fact make it difficult, so just say "thanks" with a wave when I help you is all I ask.

As for the staff and facility, I thought it was excellent.  We're not talking Barber's level of excellent, but still pretty good.  They really made an effort to keep the bathrooms clean, trash cans emptied, etc,  The flagging was good with the BFs coming very quickly, like 2 corners later vs. several laps later like CMP.  Also the recovery trucks were fast!  I never saw a dead car sitting for more than 2 laps, and most less than 1 lap.

Also, since we usually just run CMP and Barber, we just knew the fueling in the paddock idea was going to be a fustercluck, but were happily dead wrong.  It was convenient, less hectic, and our stops were actually better than on the hot pits.  It was nice to be able to clean the windshield for a change too.   I just KNEW people would be speeding in the paddock, but the only vehicle that ever sped by us was the tow truck driver.  I was glad to be wrong about that.

As for our race, we started out OK, but our 2nd driver was a newbie to W2W and the sensory overload just proved to be too much.  He spun twice in less than an hour, and once he got out, didn't want to get back in again...ever.  I think the combination of lots of traffic, fast pace, and a new track, was just too much for him.  Those two spins, and visits to the penalty box because of them, cost is 25 minutes on Saturday, which is quite a few laps.  Also our last driver had heat issues and had to come in for two unscheduled stops. One for his drink tube getting lost and the other for when he just needed to get out of the car.  Sunday we also had two unscheduled stops with one being a BF when the Burp Racing E36 pushed us off the track and we spun in the dirt.  The last was for a tire. which our #3 driver turned in a square before my last stint, so we had to change it with 10 minutes left in the race.  We ended up 7th overall, but a top 10 finish with all those problems is pretty decent IMO so we were happy.

Looking forward to the fall parade and race at CMP in September next!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

As one of the Midwesterners coming to a Southern region race for the first time glad you guys had us and great to meets the teams we did.  We all had a great time and hopefully the Ciera didnt' get into your way too much.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Rod Throwin' Fools had a lot of fun. Congrats to #8 Done Racing Racing, you guys were fast and clean on track and absolutely dominated us on speed of fuel and driver changes.

Thanks to all the southern teams for welcoming us simple midwest folk, come up to one of our races when you can.

This track was fine, except for turn 5 which was terrifying in our short wheelbase car.

Was awesome to have Lemons West Coast royalty, Spank, in the penalty box.

I think this is part of what makes Lemons great, having people like Spank and Judge Steve who have raced so much across the country working the race! (And Eric he's cool as well)

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

VKZ24 wrote:

BTW, both those teams always give a WAVE after getting a point-by, which is courteous, and makes for future cooperation.  Translation...this is a race, and I don't have to point you by, or make it easy for you to pass, and can in fact make it difficult, so just say "thanks" with a wave when I help you is all I ask.

I, as most drivers I'm friends with, always try to wave after getting a point-by, but damn........ sometimes it was tough to give a wave anywhere between turns 5 and 14 in traffic.  By the time you got past the car that pointed you by, you were two hands on the wheel into the next turn!

I too heard the rumblings Friday evening regarding how much carnage and how many black flags there'd be over the weekend ( I did my part with three black flags as an A&D in the Apocalyptic Celica ) due to the technical aspects of the track.  That didn't pan out at all -- I found the racing courteous ( except for an hour on Sunday where that disappeared ), the flagging good, the response of the safety crews swift, and the general atmosphere excellent.  There was also worry about how limited the passing zones would be, but that wasn't a concern either.

Overall a great race at a cool new track.  I hope they'll have us back.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

I forgot to mention we found a small, white, plastic folding table in the garages when we left. I'm guessing it belongs to the F.A.C.E. Racing (2 Wycked) guys with the 4.3-powered 924 since they were on that side of us. By the time we left, there was no one around who was from anywhere near y'all, so we took it home with us. We can bring it to Barber in February if you want.

SpaceFrank wrote:

I forgot to mention we found a small, white, plastic folding table in the garages when we left. I'm guessing it belongs to the F.A.C.E. Racing (2 Wycked) guys with the 4.3-powered 924 since they were on that side of us. By the time we left, there was no one around who was from anywhere near y'all, so we took it home with us. We can bring it to Barber in February if you want.

Likely mine.  we left it behind after the potluck to pick up in the morning (I was way drunk and wake up bout 4 AM anyway).  If it has a couple of burn divots from Soggy using it to cook bacon, it is mine.  That said...its a table.  keep it or give to a midwest team for the next time our paths cross.

FYI, potluck went better than I EVER imagined.  I gave it so little effort and there was so little initial response (mostly Midwest teams) I figured it would b cool but basically a dud.  I was so wrong.

Yea Thanks for helping get that organized. It went over GREAT!

Our car died 2 hours in and I can definitively say, NCM looks like a cool track, and has FANTASTIC FACILITIES (Did anyone not have hot water for the shower? I think they were using those inline heaters.)

But it Stinks for watching. Just the observation decks on the buildings which don't have great sight lines and no shade. Nowhere else to go. I'm spoiled by Mid-Ohio and Gingerman I guess.

I would have liked it more If I would have been able to at least get on the track a little bit, But 3 races was one race too many for the old 5.0 L.O. But man did our A&D Dan blow the frigging doors off in the first 12 or so laps! Nice to know we can focus on reliability over performance given that we're already leaving like 10 seconds on the table as it is now.

I would definitely run it again. Good Midwest/South mix like the long lost Summit Point event.

How was everyones tires by the way? Dan was driving super smooth and clean, and man ours just look scuffed in. (was only 2 hours or so on them) it seemed like the track was easy on tires.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

118 (edited by steve 2017-07-12 05:05 AM)

So it was an awesome weekend at NCM we went into the event with zero aspirations to try and win the race in "B" class. If you watch the videos we have, we were never even dressed out on Saturday when the driver would bring the car in for a pit stop. We only ran 45 minute stints to start with and once everybody got a chance behind the wheel then we figured out how long the stints needed to be to finish out the day with 4 more stops. Saturday night in keeping with the theme from the movie we painted the car gold and boy did we catch some grief from people that loved the metalflake red paint job on it. At one time we were back in about 35 place but on Sunday morning we were 3rd in class but were back about 7 laps from 1st and those guys were rolling. We were also back 2 laps from 2nd place so the plan was to pull in towards the middle of the day and peel off all of the gold paint before going back on track. As luck would have it (for us) the 1st place team starting having problems, suddenly the door was opened for a chance. We scrapped the plans to peel the paint off and instead started focusing on running hard and actually being ready for when the driver brought the car in for a pit stop. After a few hours we managed to not only erase the 2 lap deficit but added about 6 laps to our lead. Things were looking really good then this dummy got a black flag and suddenly the lead shrunk a bit, changing drivers our guy was clicking off some really good laps when suddenly he comes in to serve a black flag UGGGGG. Back on track he makes up another lap and comes in to pit, problem was the 2nd place team had already pitted so we lose some more laps in the process, things are getting nail biting close now. Kyle gets in the car with orders to drive safe with zero black flags and he delivers. The deal was sealed with about 10 minutes left to go the 2nd place team comes in under a black flag penalty, we could finally take a breath. The win was awesome so now I can't say I'm a 10 time loser anymore LOL. Thanks to my team mates, Kyle Mock, Craig Marlowe and David Hawkins for driving an outstanding race. Thanks to NCM for the awesome track and hospitality and to everybody that puts this race on especially the corner workers out there sweating in a small shack keeping an eye on everything we couldn't do it with out you. Now it's time to sell the car and move on to another project, I hope to be able to race with you guys again but it probably won't be with this car. Steve

The link to some of the videos   https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A … ZYTRxJEh_u

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

MDG wrote:

Rod Throwin' Fools had a lot of fun. Congrats to #8 Done Racing Racing, you guys were fast and clean on track and absolutely dominated us on speed of fuel and driver changes.

Thanks to all the southern teams for welcoming us simple midwest folk, come up to one of our races when you can.

This track was fine, except for turn 5 which was terrifying in our short wheelbase car.

Thanks to all the racers at NCM for a super-cooperative event!  it seemed like everyone out there was really trying to help each other get the best laps.  I hope we didn't ruffle too many feathers this time but we were absolutely pushing as hard as possible to stay ahead of the Rod Throwing Fools and Corona.  congrats to both for strong as hell racing! 
I hear you RTF about turn 5, your car was awesome and fast everywhere on that track EXCEPT T5!  I was terrified too just watching you ...  great job holding it through there more than 400 times!  definitely looked exciting.
cheers,
Bill
Done Racing Racing

The track was awesome and our camaro seemed really happy on it, except I think we lost our limited slip so coming out of the last corner was super slow. But I only got 6 laps in on Saturday before the clutch gave out and ended out weekend. Hopefully we didn't get any too many peoples way as we were trying to figure out the track.

SpaceFrank wrote:

It was mine...I set it up as part of the potluck for my teammate's pork shoulder.  When I went back in the morning for my 6' table grill and the trashcan  kegorator it was not "there".

No big deal.  Keep it, re-gift it, whatever.  It was stolen from a friend's collection when he moved anyway.

So, the speed of the tow truck driver was ridiculous. I got brought in because I ran the dustbuster out of fuel and including stopping on track, getting hooked up to the truck, towing back, fueling, and being convinced to go back out, we only lost a few minutes compared to the splash and dash we would have done if I had just brought it in. That guy hauls ass.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions