Topic: Nomex Sock Question

Hey guys I had a quick question about nomex socks. I got a couple pair of what look to be nomex socks from an old road racer that upgraded his equipment. Got pants and a shirt as well. Anyways they are not labeled anywhere with a sfi/fia rating. Figure I can use them for our race in September but if I need sfi/fia ratings on them then I will order a new set. Below is a picture. Anybody know if these are usable for Lemons. Just do not want to show up at the track and have to hunt for a new pair when I can be ready to go.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x231/supra681/18516665_10209009747789522_36013301_o_zpsprehuvv0.jpg

Re: Nomex Sock Question

No labels needed.  Just need to feel like Nomex.

Do a search on this forum and you'll find a post from Nick regarding socks not needing SFI tags.  Every once in a while you run into an inspector that will want to fail you for no tags so I carry in my gear bag a copy of that forum post to show the inspector.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Alright I will hunt down that forum post. I was going to have another tech guy check them out to make sure that they are nomex. Or even the race on our team. But good news its another thing off the check list for safety gear.

The ones on the right are almost definitely nomex. They have the color. The ones on the left are a bit whiter than normal, but they look like sufficiently useless socks that I can't imagine them being anything other than nomex. Probably just the lighting.

FWIW, I've literally never seen socks with an SFI tag. FIA, yes. SFI, no.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

I hadn't either, but sure enough:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1354/7501/products/411992.jpg?v=1492445444

7 (edited by EyeMWing 2017-05-18 11:10 AM)

ross2004 wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

I hadn't either, but sure enough:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1354/7501/products/411992.jpg?v=1492445444

Nomex dress socks!

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Socks are not required to be SFI/FIA rated. They just have to be Fire-retardant (rule 3.4.B).

The ones on the left look like some really cheap ones that I bought once. They were very thin and would bunch up around my ankles or my heels and be generally uncomfortable. Once they worked their way down to my arches. After that I got rid of them. The ones on the right look like better quality socks.

Any more, I wear the $30 Simpson Nomex socks. They are soft and thick and stay up around my legs, just really nice comfortable socks, but made of Nomex.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!