Topic: Anyone need a car driven back east after the rally?

I'm delivering a car to CA before the rally, so I have a twofer question:

Does anyone have a spare seat where I could beebop along with the rally? and;

Anyone need a car driven back east after the rally? I'm based in Richmond, VA am pretty flexible. My level of keep-hoopty-running-over-long-distanceness skill is pretty high.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

2 (edited by Shvd_Box 2017-07-05 03:28 PM)

Re: Anyone need a car driven back east after the rally?

I won't know if I have an open seat on the rally for a couple weeks, but I would have an open seat coming back east, providing you don't mind going to Florida.

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

The MG Metro- caged Lemons car-- needs to get from San Diego to Kentucky at some point. The buyer is being really patient. Willing to pay for a haul, but everybody is being kinda ridiculous in their quotes: They are more concerned with how much extra they can charge for the 4 wheels  and loose driver's seat in the back than the fact that it's a relatively worthless pos.

I would drive it myself. Not 100% sure I'd encourage someone else to do it, though.

4 (edited by ICAustinMiniMan 2017-07-05 04:18 PM)

Spank wrote:

The MG Metro- caged Lemons car-- needs to get from San Diego to Kentucky at some point. The buyer is being really patient. Willing to pay for a haul, but everybody is being kinda ridiculous in their quotes: They are more concerned with how much extra they can charge for the 4 wheels  and loose driver's seat in the back than the fact that it's a relatively worthless pos.

I would drive it myself. Not 100% sure I'd encourage someone else to do it, though.

*glances at my own username...* I think I can handle keeping an A-Series running... How bad is it? Would they be willing to pay a little on top of gas money too?

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.

Oh, and check with Tsog-- he likely has open seats for the rally.

I'm still up in the air as to if I'm going to be able to do the rally (my son's first day of school is the second day of the rally). And, if I do go, what car I would use. I've picked up a number of good candidates lately.

Cool. Let me know. I'm dropping a CX5 off in Chino Hills, so trying to get to San Diego might be a little tricky, but I could figure something out.

Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.

7 (edited by Spank 2017-07-05 04:27 PM)

Oh duh. Sorry for overlooking the obvious...

And Chino Hills. Psht. No problem. I got a teammate in Chino. He's the one who owns the Yugo now.

It's not the metro drivetrain that's of the greatest worry-- it's the hydrogas suspension. There are spares, though. So if you might feel up to swapping one out or just riding on the bumpstops should one go, that's about the only worry I'd have

I'll be seeing him  when I fly in to Nashville tomorrow and drive a rental to the KY to the race. I'll ask what he thinks.

Okay. I'll be at the Kentucky race. Come find me to discuss if you want.

...I actually have a bunch of hydrogas spares in my garage. Damn that fluid smells bad.

Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.

I'll try to convince him to come to the track. He lives about 45min from it.

ICAustinMiniMan wrote:

...I actually have a bunch of hydrogas spares in my garage. Damn that fluid smells bad.

As the former owner of this MG Metro, I'll point out that its hydragas displacers don't really interchange with those used in anything else. This one is an early example, so its rear displacers didn't even interchange with those of the later Metros, although it's now running on the later units thanks to a customized set of shims.

The fluid smells okay-ish when fresh.

Spank wrote:

In 2010 I drove this car from Seattle to Chicago and back, towing a French microcar on a trailer, so I'm happy to encourage anyone to do whatever fool thing they want with it. This was in the Wall Drug parking lot, Wall, SD, on the way there:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3114/5716601092_6f14a25af6.jpg

ICAustinMiniMan wrote:

Does anyone have a spare seat where I could beebop along with the rally?

I may have a seat in my Volvo 66 GL, as it looks like my co-driver won't be able to make it. I should have a better idea within the next week or so. If the Volvo fails to make it to the starting line, as it did last year, I'll probably end up running the rally in my Austin Allegro 3 but would still have a seat if, as seems likely, my co-driver can't go.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

In 2010 I drove this car from Seattle to Chicago and back, towing a French microcar on a trailer, so I'm happy to encourage anyone to do whatever fool thing they want with it.

yea, um, we've done Not-Nice things to it since then.

Spank wrote:

yea, um, we've done Not-Nice things to it since then.

As a result, it's lighter now. Should be fine.

By the way, I believe I can already go ahead and say that yes, I'll have a seat available in my car if ICAustinMiniMan's idea of a good time is driving slowly up and down the West Coast in a RHD Dutch (or possibly British) sedan with minimal creature comforts. And hey, if someone in the car has a cell phone and Facebook account, then we can actually score points for the checkpoints.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally