Topic: Pickup truck roll cage questions

We have an '84 nissan 720 pickup - roof MIA. When buiding our rollcage, everybody aims for the shocktowers. The back of this truck has leaf springs and shocks not mounted to the wheel-wells.

We were thinking about landing the backstays on the top-front corner of the wheelwell. It's 45 degrees, seems like it would spread the load fairly well, but it's not a shock tower. Is that kosher? Open to suggestions.

Re: Pickup truck roll cage questions

I'm not familiar with the truck but if it is a body on frame (and I just looked it up and it is), then tech wants to see the back stays land on the frame (cutting through the bed).

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm glad I asked. Just to be clear, we can still weld the other 4 spreader plates to the floor of the cab,  correct?

Body on frame, they want to see the cage connected to the frame.  Often frnt stays will land on a body mount.  Main hoop...rarely.

There's been a number of truck's run so there should be a few good examples, but yes, mount everything on the frame. Build outriggers if needed.

Picture links are dead, but this old thread is on the same topic.
http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=27529

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

We are building a ranger for the CT race, and I asked a number of people with trucks, and the event organizers and you will need to build out riggers of either 2x2 or 2x3 square tubing. Spreader plates are also needed if the frame is less then 1/8" thick then you need spreader plates on the frame. Thats coming from John.

1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 High Output
Organizers Choice Award Thompson Motor Speedway 2017
Class C Winners NHMS 2018
Hit'em With the Hein